Anonymous
Years ago

If the AUS national team played in the NBA

Not trolling, just curious as I eat my lunch.

If the "current" australian national team played in the NBA Western Conference, where would they finish up at the end of this season.

Assume they are coached by Pop.

Topic #31430 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

As in current best possible national team? e.g., Bogut available, everyone uninjured, but Irving not playing for Australia.

Reply #414365 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

dead last...

you make NBA for a reason

you talking about 2 NBA player vs 12 every night.

Reply #414367 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

cusp of playoffs IMO.

Reply #414368 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You'd have a decent defensive team that would struggle to put the ball in the hole, but I think they'd do ok.

Reply #414369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going out on a limb here, maybe BA should look at entering the Boomers in the NBA, it will keep our best players together, make them more competitive at Worlds/Olympics and let the NBL return to a semi professional status until it can regroup and regain some interest..

Its not as stupid as it sounds.

Reply #414370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dead last every season. How would they guard anyone.... and if you think Bogut is offensively good enough to play through every night then..... smh. Would be sweet to have a regular international league with 2 divisions and relegation - promotion.

Reply #414372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they could have Kyrie and say another 2 or 3 decent Americans they would do ok.

I reckon alot of our players like a Ingles type would be an good/average NBA back up/5th starter at best but wouldnt be ideal as our best player like he was in the last Olympics.

But given you could probably sign our roster for well under the NBA cap, there would be room for say Boomers plus a max salary guy or 2 and they would be ok.

Would love to see it though, would be exciting and keep the group together and build chemistry, etc, even if we did come last.

Also would love to see a international season every year, a bit like Cricket does.

Reply #414376 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How would they guard anyone? They were the best defensive team at the olympics, and that's without Bogut, one of the best defensive centers in the world (again, this is assuming everyone is healthy).

They would just be ugly as all hell on the offensive end.

I'm not saying they'd be vying for the title but they certainly would be ahead of teams like New Orleans and Charlotte, surely.

Reply #414378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of croc, the Boomers would be finals material easily. So would all top 10 ranked national teams. In case you have forgotten the Dream team is not undefeated. Many top Euro teams would play NBA finals, included.

NBA is not what most think.

Reply #414379 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm among the few posters here who actually think the NBA is TOUGHER than people give it credit for, that's even with all the hype. And I still think the Boomers would be a fringe playoffs team, their ceiling depending on what conference they were in.

Reply #414383 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

What if we fast forward five years and Exum and Simmons become bona fide NBA stars as currently predicted?

Reply #414385 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I think we'd be bottom 3 every year, if not bottom every year. Take the starting line up of the Orlando Magic who finished dead last this year.

Orlando/Boomers

C Vucevic vs Bogut

Very tough to decide. We haven't seen a healthy Bogut vs Vucevic. As of late you'd probably say Vucevic but thats because Bogut has been injured. We'll call it even and thats being pretty kind to Bogut.
Advantage Even

PF Anderson vs Davis

Very different players, neither great defensively but score differently offensively. Its hard to compare what Anderson does in Europe to what he did in the NBA as they're different games. As we're talking about playing in the NBA, Davis is far better. Advantage Davis.

SF Harris vs Ingles

Harris is a much better scorer, rebounder and defender and their passing is pretty much even. Harris has been great as a starter, Ingles can't get minutes in Europe.
Advantage Harris.

SG Afflalo vs Newley/Mills

Afflalo is a much better scorer, rebounder, passer and defender. No comparison here. Afflalo is a legit starter on pretty much any team.
Advantage Afflalo by a lot.

PG Nelson vs Dellavadova/Mills

Nelson is an NBA vet heading towards the end of his career. Mills sits on the bench as is 11/12th man and Delly may not get drafted.

Throw in the fact that every NBA team would have a depth advantage over the Aussies and Australia is in a heap of trouble!

Reply #414399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Putting a team in a summerleague comp isn't such a bad idea

Reply #414413 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

370/413 - that is as stupid as it sounds, but (hopefully) you're trolling so it's alright.

Reply #414451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, they lost to the USA by 30 but it was more of a 30 point game. Most NBA team would lose by more than that, but then you have to factor in NBA rules fvouring the NBA teams.

Would be interestng to see. But the Boomers would be at good Euroleague level and Euroleague teams compete with NBA teams so I think they would do ok.

Reply #414455 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

The how would they guard anyone is funny to me........does anyone here actually watch NBA at all?

NBA is horrendous defense. Australian NT would be best team on defense in the whole league by a country mile.

Reply #414458 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

What a load of croc, the Boomers would be finals material easily. So would all top 10 ranked national teams. In case you have forgotten the Dream team is not undefeated. Many top Euro teams would play NBA finals, included.

NBA is not what most think.

>

Well, I don't know about any top 10 team........but definitely most of the teams like Spain, Greece, Argentina, Brazil, Lithuania, etc. and even teams that are ranked lower

Slovenia, Serbia, Croatia, Turkey, etc.

Team USA isn't Team NBA. I don't see why so many people can't grasp that. I know Americans don't because they just like to be nationalistic and patriotic and their zealotry blinds them.

So they equate Team USA to = NBA. But it does not work that way. But it's really odd when other country's fans do that same thing.

There is ZERO comparison of Team USA to ANY NBA team. The Miami Heat would be annihilated by Team USA.

No NBA team could compete with Team USA. The best national teams would be elite NBA teams without any question whatsoever.

Just imagine the Thunder or Heat trying to play Team USA........I mean come on.

There is a huge overrating of the level of the NBA, because so many people can't seem to understand that Team USA does not equal Team NBA.

Reply #414459 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As I recall Brett Brown wanted to put Boomers in Summer league there .

Reply #414462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you I agree. 459

Further more I may add.

Some of the posters above spend too much time playing NBA Live on the Xbox and thinking this results in expert knowledge.

Now to continue the argument and comparisons.

Australians who have played in the NBA (Longley, Bogut) have all publicly commented on the fact many Australian players could have successful careers in the US if they were given the opportunity. Remember it appears harder to gain a spot at times, than play for some guys. That's why they say its a lottery. I would value their opinion over the clowns posting above.

Andrew Gaze not gaining a regular spot on an NBA roster and becoming a solid contributor is a crime in my opinion. His International game history is second to very few, and he was more than capable of it. And before you question his athleticism and all the old argument crap we come accustomed to hearing, why did Larry Bird survive in the NBA????
Because there is more to basketball than a leap and ego.

Thirdly for all the bagging of the NBL (again by our XBox athletes I suspect) the standard of comp is very high. Sure it maybe a smaller league but it is extremely competitive, and never been so strong. This is why US imports don't have the same impact they once did. Including imports formally from the NBA.... Many arrive hear and get a shock very quickly...... and many go home soon after.

(You know 5 years ago Sydney Kings travelled midweek to Russia and beat Moscow CSK. Thats no small achievement especially if you have been there.)

Yes Boomers and many other Olympic teams would dominate the NBA.....more

Reply #414463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Brown would have put them in the NBA if it was possible. Be real you need permission first, and an owner silly enough to spend the money. If it was me and I was rich enough I would rather spend it on building the Titanic.

Reply #414464 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Patty Mills was the man on Aus National team and can't even crack the regular rotation of the Blazers (who missed the playoffs).

btw Patty was clearly a cut above the rest of the Boomers, so to think AUS national team can compete in NBA is very optimistic

in addition most role players in NBA become the star of their national team, NBA is not a joke. Rubio himself said the pace and level of NBA is clearly above Europe and anywhere else he played. there are only a few more than a handful of legit international NBA stars

Reply #414468 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

also for an international team to play under NBA rules will be further more advantageous. since rules promote a faster, more fluid game pace that maximizes athleticism.

Reply #414469 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The good National Teams playing under FIBA rules would be extremely tough in the NBA, under glorified 1 on 1 rules as the NBA has would push it back in the NBA teams favor.

Reply #414478 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Bogut, the current day, decimated by injury version, may not even be in the top 50 players in the NBA. That's our best player. Have a look at the playoff teams this year and see how many don't have at least one top 50 level player. Most have two or three.

Anyone who thinks we'd be anything other than easybeats in the NBA, doesn't watch enough NBA. The better question would be how we'd go in the Euroleague.

Reply #414490 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Aus would finish pretty much last every year. In fact, Team USA would probably be better in the Olympics if they just placed an NBA team in there, better chemistry.

Reply #414516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the reasons why I posted this thread yesterday, is that I was curious about a mismatch:

- most people recognise that many of our players, individually, don't seem to be at the level of an NBA starter,
- yet it seems that the Boomers probably would not finish last in a conference, and indeed might even push for a playoff birth some years.

Are we:

1) underestimating the players, or
2) overestimating the Boomers, or
3) is there something that happens when aus players play together that makes them that much more tough a team

Reply #414517 | Report this post

FUBAR  
Years ago

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/31440-nbas-record-versus-euroleague/

The "FAIR RULES" games refer to the games where they use an NBA sized court, the NBA 3 point line distance, and NBA rules, but where they also allow a true zone defense, having no defensive 3 seconds. And in these "FAIR RULES" games, they have 2 NBA refs, but also 1 FIBA ref.

This is seen as making a "FAIR" game.

In these 18 fair games........here is what has happened:

2003: Memphis Grizzlies 91 - Barcelona Basquet 80

:1-0

2006: Barcelona Basquet 104- Philadelphia 76ers 99

:1-1

2006: Phoenix Suns 100 - Virtus Roma 93

: 2-1

2006: CSKA Moscow 94 - Los Angeles Clippers 75

: 2-2

2006: San Antonio Spurs 97 - Maccabi Tel Aviv 84

: 3-2

2006: Phoenix Suns 119 - Maccabi Tel Aviv 102

: 4-2

2006: Philadelphia 76ers 85 - CSKA Moscow 71

: 5-2

2007: Minnesota Timberwolves 87 - Efes 81

: 6-2

2007: Toronto Raptors 93 - Virtus Roma 87

: 7-2

2007: Malaga 102 - Memphis Grizzlies 99

: 7-3

2007: Real Madrid 104 - Toronto Raptors 103

: 7-4

2009: Utah Jazz 109 - Real Madrid 87

: 8-4

2010: New York Knicks 125 - Olimpia Milano 113

: 9-4

2010: Barcelona Basquet 92 - Los Angeles Lakers 88

: 9-5

2012: Fenerbahce 97 - Boston Celtics 91

: 9-6

2012: Dallas Mavericks 89 - Alba Berlin 84

: 10-6

2012: Boston Celtics 105 - Olimpia Milano 75

: 11-6

2012: Barcelona Basquet 99 - Dallas Mavericks 85

: 11-7

Reply #414530 | Report this post

FUBAR  
Years ago

Patty Mills was the man on Aus National team and can't even crack the regular rotation of the Blazers (who missed the playoffs).

btw Patty was clearly a cut above the rest of the Boomers, so to think AUS national team can compete in NBA is very optimistic

in addition most role players in NBA become the star of their national team, NBA is not a joke. Rubio himself said the pace and level of NBA is clearly above Europe and anywhere else he played. there are only a few more than a handful of legit international NBA stars

>

FALSE. Ricky Rubio specifically told NBATV that the NBA is easier than the Euroleague.

I have PROOF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_-MI6Z1cV4

Reply #414534 | Report this post

FUBAR  
Years ago

Aus would finish pretty much last every year. In fact, Team USA would probably be better in the Olympics if they just placed an NBA team in there, better chemistry.

>

An NBA team would not even make it out of the group stage. Stop being a clown.

Reply #414535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be surprised if the Boomers got within 20 points of any NBA team.

These guys train day in day out together practically all year (unlike the Boomers) and often keep their core together for a few years. Boomers would be solid defensively but wouldn't be able to put the ball in the basket with such a discrepancy in athelticism.

Reply #414562 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

MW + Twenty Four
Nail on the head lads. I thank you.

Let us please understand this.
AN NBA SEASON IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE THE OLYMPICS!!!!!!!!!

okay.

The Boomers do not have formidable and consistent options out of the pick n roll. trouble.

The Boomers do not have 1 individual player, let alone numerous players, who can continually get and make their own shot. trouble.

The Boomers do not have an elite defender capable of locking down point guards like Westbrook, Parker, Rose, Irving, Paul, Curry, Wall, Williams, Rubio and Rondo every night, Wings like Kobe, Durant, LeBron, Harden, Granger, George, Smith, Pierce, Gallinari, Thompson, Gay, Ellis, Batum, Evans, Johnson and DeRozan.

The Boomers do not have good pick n roll and post defenders to guard bigs like the Gasol's, Howard, Griffin, Love, Duncan, Jefferson, Millsap, Randolph, Horford, Garnett, Boozer, Nowitzki, Monroe, Cousins, Pekovic, Lee, Hibbert, West, Aldridge, Bynum, Lopez and Davis.

You have to understand that the NBA is a very different game. You have to understand that an NBA season is like nothing any Boomer has every experienced before bar Bogut. (I don't count Mills as he would be a starter for us and has never played regular minutes in an NBA season).

I love the Boomers, but they would not even be close to a playoff threat.

Reply #414575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much live NBA have people watched?

With the NBA rules we are toast.

No where near athletic enough to guard anyone. Fair rules are nice but they aren't NBA rules. When almost none of our guys are capable of making a team let alone playing minutes how in gods name do people think that we could compete when NBA rules are designed to showcase individual talents.

You can't just firsts and thirds or run variations of flex, your way to good shots in the NBA. Think about the players we would have to deal with....

Having said that it would be nice to have the same rules for all leagues and levels of the sport so that all this comparison was easier.

Fair rules seem sweet.

Reply #414584 | Report this post

doctor Basketball  
Years ago

No chance to make playoffs, Not a prayer!!!!........Would win less than 20 games in regular season.....

How in the world is a team that does not even have NBA stars let alone NBA level players meant to compete in the NBA? Do you know how good even the worst NBA player has to be to get on the roster.

People here talking about NBA plays no defense are so ridiculous......Explain to me exactly how on earth anyone is meant to guard LeBron, Kevin Durant, Kobe, Harden?????? Man the list goes on and on and on....There are literally some guys that can not be stopped.....Every team plays defense but the offense is so good it cant be guarded.......WE ARE JUST NOT USED TO THAT IN AUSTRALIAN BECAUSE GUYS IN THE NBL CANT SHOOT AND CAN HARDLY DRIBBLE.

Our OZ team would be average at best...........

STOP MENTIONING THE NBL - why are the US imports not as dominant as they used to be? BECAUSE CLUBS HAVE STOPPED PAYING THEM GOOD MONEY TO PLAY AND STOPPED GETTING DOMINANT PLAYERS OUT HERE.........So stupid!!!!!

Some of you should read your comments over.......Why does basketball in this country suck.......? read your comments and you will quickly figure it out.....

Reply #414642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to the XBox Doc please you have no idea

Reply #414654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flynn, Simpson imports???????

Reply #414655 | Report this post

doctor Basketball  
Years ago

Yeah i have no idea thats why you morons are entertaining the fact that the OZ team could actually hang in the NBA......we cant even medal in the Olympics against teams who have 1 or no NBA players.....

Please Flynn hobbles around......the only player who could even entertain playing in the NBA is Breakers Jackson.......No other import in the NBL even comes close to previous imports.....Would not even break the top 50 imports of the past.

Reply #414702 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So many hilarious statements in here on BOTH sides of the argument.

The funniest one is probably that no NBA team would get out of the group stage in the Olympics.

Reply #414724 | Report this post

FUBAR  
Years ago

So many hilarious statements in here on BOTH sides of the argument.

The funniest one is probably that no NBA team would get out of the group stage in the Olympics.

>

If you think they could, then you are delusional and even borderline psychotic.

Reply #414748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FUBAR, you are just trolling, right?

A half decent NBA team would EASILY get out of the group stage.

Anyone who thinks differently is obviously new to basketball.

Reply #414752 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

Yeah FUBAR is a mentalist.

Reply #414816 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754