Dwight Schrute
Years ago

NBA Western Conference Playoff Preview

Thunder v Rockets

Snap shot - Big game James gets his chance in round one to seek revenge on his former teammates, more importantly his former front office. Whist working with a lesser supporting cast, Harden does have Chandler Parsons (top 3 most improved players) Jeremy Lin and Asik, all of whom have elevated their games significantly since last season.

With that being said, they run into a Thunder team being lead by two of the most dynamic players of our generation. Durant who's regular season stat line reads as follows 28.1 PPG 7.90 RPG 4.6 APG shooting @ a click of 51% from the field, 40% from the 3 and 90% from the line. (Only Nash, Bird, Mark Price, Dirk and Reggie have ever achieved that line!)

Meanwhile Westbrook plays harder and faster than anyone not named Lebron. The only question, will he maintain self control in the playoffs?

Regardless, with Ibaka, Martin & Reggie Jackson’s improved play, throw in Fisher’s experience, topped off with Thabo’s defence on Harden, OKC appear to wrap this thing up in 6.

Series Stud: Durant

Series Dud: Kendrick Perkins

Prediction: OKC in 6

Spurs Vs Lakers

Snap shot - No mamba, no Lakers? That’s the general consensus. However, whilst the Spurs do have the advantage in almost every conceivable way, coaching, roster, experience. Dwight and Pau have been playing well as twin towers of late and Nash may come back somewhat resembling Nash.

Simmons 'Patrick Ewing’ theory will surely be tested in this series. Kobe commands more double teams than an Alexis Texas feature film. In a matter of 7 days they’ve had to throw out the entire playbook (probably not a bad thing) and start all over again. Suddenly Mike D actually likes playing through Pau? Steve Blake looks like he did back at Maryland and Dwight looks semi interested now he’s the team best player!

Who I am kidding? Unless Metta starts plugging Eva Longoria courtside, Tony Parker, Manuuuu and the big fundamental will wrap this thing up with a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Series stud: Parker

Series Dud: Corey Joseph (Play Mills already Pop!)

Prediction: Spurs to sweep

Nuggets Vs Warriors

Snap shot – Cant wait for this series to get popping! The Nuggets at home are just about the most exciting team in the league at the moment. Between Ty Lawson, Kenneth (hope he’s health) IG, Brewer, Fournier and McGee it’s impossible not to love what they bring to the floor! They’re quick, well coached, and deep. The only problem is there playing Step Curry, sorry the Warriors.

Curry has lived up to all the hype! Remember all the noise made when Monta got traded? Me neither. When GSW play Jack at the point, Thompson at the three and allow Steph to do his thing, they look uncontainable! Unlike on the other end, where without Bogut playing good interior defence, no one will be able to stop the Nuggets penetration and inside play. David Lee is a Warrior (pardon the pun) but after that, who else inside? Biedrins? Festus Ezeli (favourite NBA name since Quincy Doobee) has the worst hands in the NBA, Draymond Green’s a kid & Bogut has statistically had his worst season as a pro!

Whilst I love what Mark Jackson has brought to the Bay area, I still think the Warriors are a few years away from really impacting the Western Playoffs.

Series stud: Ty Lawson

Series Dud: Richard Jefferson (Is he really still in the league?)

Prediction: Nuggets in 6.

Clippers Vs Grizzles

Snap Shot – This series will likely come down to two matchups, Blake vs. Z-BO and Chris Paul vs. Tony Allen.

Blake has been huge this year, and if he gets it going early this series could be a wrap! Defence has never been Zach’s strongest asset, however in this series he better improve as there isn’t much else after him!

Conley will start on Paul, but make no mistake Tony Allen will be guarding CP3 when it matters! He’s got length, matchup speed and a legit defensive mindset. (Rare in the NBA) With that being said, Paul is the best floor general in the game today! So when he’s struggling he does what any great point guard does and gets other involved! And he’s got more options than his opponents.

Only way I see the Grizz causing an upset is if the Gas man completely dominates both ends! You can make a case that he deserves his first all NBA team selection this year, however he must put up ridiculous numbers to see the Grizzles make the next round.

Whilst J-Crossover had had his worst shooting month all year in March; I expect him to shoot his way out of his slump. Barnes, Odem, Hill, Billups (assuming he plays) all have significant playoff experience which I expect to hold the Clips strong.

Series stud: Blake Griffin

Series Dud: Ronny Turiaf

Prediction: Clips in 7

Topic #31446 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

I'd say:

OKC in a sweep or close to it.

Look for D'Antoni to get severely outcoached by Pop as usual in the SAS/LAL series. Although there could be some surprises here given we have no idea what this Laker team is, exactly, now. They've won a couple without Kobe with Blake and Dwight playing great and Pau playing supremely great, and now Nash is back. Something strange could happen but the smart money says the Spurs take it pretty quickly.

Griz and Clips have history so this should be a great series. Will go seven and could go either way.

Nuggets are hit pretty bad by the injury bug so you don't know if GSW could make some noise here. This one has potential to go 7 as well with the Nuggets winning it on experience.

Reply #414687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over the final 40 games of the season, the Lakers actually had a better record than the Spurs (28-12 to 27-13). With Nash back and healthy for this series, the Lakers will nearly be at full strength going into the game. Yes, they don't have Kobe, but they've played well (small sample size I know but it's all we have) in the time he's missed this season. The Lakers lost the season series against San Antonio but all of the games were close and could have gone either way. Won't be surprised to see the Lakers win this series, but I won't be surprised to see San Antonio cruise in it either.

Reply #414691 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Lakers are paying $6 to win the series. Great odds if you ask me. No way they are getting swept.

Clips/Memphis should be a great rematch series. Probably the hardest series to pick IMO

Reply #414692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finally two statements I agree with from ingles.

Don't think lakers will get swept, that will be a series.

And clips grizz is the best series for first round. Game 7 win by the grizz @ staples will be nice.

Reply #414698 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah I don't get why bookies and most journos are calling for a lopsided Spurs victory against LA. San Antonio are pretty badly banged up right now, and didn't have that great a run to close out the season. How are Splitter and Duncan supposed to keep both Pau and Howard under control?

The X factor for this series is Kawhi Leonard. If he can have big games offensively to cover for Parker and Ginobili's potentially reduced offensive output (due to injury), it will give them a big leg up. He doesn't have to worry about chasing Kobe around any more so he should be a bit fresher on the offensive end.

Spurs go ten or eleven deep though, and D'Antoni usually only plays 7 guys, because he is a moron, so the Spurs could just wear them down.

Reply #414723 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

This Knicks-Celtics game has set a new standard for ugly offence. Iso's and turnovers everywhere

Reply #414726 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754