Isaac
Years ago

Australian national league salaries

This is taken from an article about netball players fighting for a pay increase for national duties:

NATIONAL LEAGUES
AFL
Average wage: $251,559
Minimum wage: $56,755
Maximum wage:$1.8 million, Gary Ablett

NRL
Average wage: $200,000
Minimum wage: $55,000
Maximum wage: $1.25 million, Johnathan Thurston

A-LEAGUE
Average wage: $120,000
Minimum wage: $45,000
Maximum wage: $2 million, Alessandro Del Piero

ANZ CHAMPIONSHIP
Average wage: $21,800
Minimum wage: $12,500
Maximum wage: $115,00, Irene van Dyk

WNBL
Minimum wage: $0
Maximum wage: $1 million for three years, Lauren Jackson

NBL
Average wage: $93,046
Minimum wage: $37,022
Maximum wage: $265,000, identity not revealed

*Figures are estimates only
Almost like the NBL was put at the bottom as an afterthought. Anyway. If that maximum is legitimate, it gels with word that Ervin was on a fair bit. Either that, or it's the publically disclosed figure for Flynn. I'm sure C Jackson is well paid, but I don't think the Breakers could pay that and fit everyone else in.

Topic #31463 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Would have to be Flynn. No way Ervin was on THAT much.

Reply #414876 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

$265k doesnt leave much in the salary cap.

Reply #414877 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The Crocs definitely had that amount spare (cap-wise) when they brought Ervin on board but there's no way. Surely?

If it was him then the (former) board has a whole lot more to answer for than the shit heap that's already piled up on their plate...

Reply #414878 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Ten players per team, average salary 93k, salary cap is 1m...

Does this mean only 93% of the salary cap is getting used league wide?

Reply #414880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. Cairns, Wollongong and Sydney were well short of the salary cap this season.

Reply #414882 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

No wonder the NBLPA wants to kill the points cap. <_<

Reply #414888 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I'm gobsmacked that the average A-league salary is $120,000... I flicked on an A-league match a few weeks ago: after the ball was turned over quite literally ~10 times in 30 seconds and a blown shot on goal I couldn't stand to watch any longer.

How much are Netball players in Australia currently payed for 'international duties'?

Surely the NBL's $265,000 contract was Flynn?

Reply #414889 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Netball cap is over 300k so doubt irene commands 115k
Action Jackson would be maybe 200-250k
D League max is 40k+
Definetly flyn highest payed in NBL . Reported 50k a month?

Reply #414900 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Hey PlayMakerMo,
that's the exact problem the NBL has to the casual fan. They watch a few NBA games and then look at the NBL like its a child's league.

Reply #414906 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The A-League is always going to look ordinary when compared to EPL, La Liga..Just like the NBL probably looks ordinary when compared to the NBA.

It's advantageous to a sport like AFL, which has no higher substitutes.
If people like Aussie Rules, they are only going to watch the AFL.

Reply #414912 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Oh, I have no doubt that Irene is getting that. I also have no doubt that her team is viewing the ANZ salary cap as a salary "guideline". Half the Silver Ferns are on that one team.

Reply #414913 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@BALLER#3 - I hope you weren't implying that I'm a casual fan, otherwise my counter would be: go back to the drawing board on a new arbitrary International Cup.

The first paragraph I posted was about the A-LEAGUE, not the NBL. I love the NBL, and easily prefer it to the NBA. The A-league is just shite.

What you say is true, but doesn't apply to myself.

Reply #414989 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Playmaker your proving my point mate?
You hate the A league cos its shite.

Im sure alot of casual/NBA fans hate the NBL because its shite also...

Im not having a go princess.

Obviously you like the NBL or you wouldnt be writing stupid posts on here?

Reply #414991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way is Flynn worth 265k based on that Cedric Jackson must be worth 300k no wonder the NBL is in trouble

Reply #414993 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

BALLER#3, you're comparing apples with oranges, not to mention making inferences that just aren't true.

I never stated that I "hated" the A-league: I'm just of the opinion that it's a poor quality league and not very entertaining. While I'm sure many would agree with me on this, and I haven't written anything that deserves to be labelled as "stupid".

I already agreed with you that there are likely many casual basketball fans out there that dislike the NBL because of their exposure to the NBA... your point, princess? Do you even know what you're rambling on about anymore?

I can only conclude that you are, in fact, having a go, or just stuck in your own world where you believe I'm proving your point. In either event, I pity you and your potentially unfortunate offspring.

Reply #415039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

baller stop highjacking the thread and go watch your precious a-league if you love it so much.

what an anal bead

Reply #415132 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Wildcat's MVP Ball sold out at 1,200 attendees apparently.

At $200 a ticket (for members, more for non), that's a very tidy $240,000+ return on a simple award's night. Even after hiring and catering, that would be a nice profit making venture. It's obviously hard to get gauges on other club's financials but the Wildcats really do seem to have a money-generating capacity well ahead of the league.

Reply #415134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The average salary amongst the team's of the Euroleague 2012-13 season, was said to be $1.4 million US dollars.

Reply #415214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D League max is 40k+

>

NBA D-League salaries are less than that. From the DraftExpress.com twitter:

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

Correction: D-League salaries this year range from $15,500 to $26,000, pre-tax, non-guaranteed, per season. Housing is included.

Reply #415216 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754