BALLER#3
Years ago

NBL if Townsville dont play?

What will the NBL do if they actually dont play? 7 team league is a joke even to an NBL fan.

Topic #31470 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Best team outside the NBL would be Geelong or Bendigo. Bendigo would have the edge because of more seating. Geelong need a new stadium for NBL. BA would have to throw some money in.

Reply #415000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That wont happen. Seabl should become the new NBL if the NBL folds.

Reply #415003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL would presumably part-finance a team out of Brisbane.

Reply #415013 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Geelong and Bendigo sadly not much of an option given their stadiums are really NBL standard. Geelong havent got the space nor the crowd support from the SEABL days of 2000. Bendigo neither, with most of their seating, sitting on the pine.

I think Townsville will play, although they might go down the track also of community ownership

Reply #415024 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Supposedly someone has pledged $1.4mill?

Reply #415027 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

At this rate it looks like Townsville will play, but I doubt they will be competitive. They have their financial guarantee stitched up, they just need to raise more through foundation memberships.

I'm guessing you'll probably see everyone from last year re-signed except for Ervin and Nevill. It won't be much better than a top SEABL side.

Reply #415047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still better than not having a team, and could be a chance to un earth a few good young Aussies or even cheap SEABL imports who may turn out to be good, ala Redhage.

Even though if thats the case they probably wont win alot, but could be a surprise and unearth some good talent which is exciting.

Reply #415070 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Absolutely. There's an opportunity here for Townsville to make good of this situation by shedding some of the contracts that have been voided and going with a youth movement for a season or two.

As a fan I am happy to watch my team not be super competitive as long as they are young and have upside. Watching a veteran side getting trounced week after week is another matter altogether...

I hope that whatever happens the club has some sort of vision for the future rather than just chasing a fringe playoff berth year in year out.

Reply #415076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Theyll have the same team as last season, it will just come down to selecting imports right on a budget. You can get an import for $80-100K whos as good as a $200K one if you scout right and have a bit of luck. McKee, Ervin, Deleon, Henry, Wilkinson, Lisch are all good players who came into the league cheap first up.

Reply #415083 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Scout well and lean on contacts within Basketball Australia and player recommendations and you can generate a competitive team on the cheap. Takes a lot of hard work from the staff though, can't just splash cash around.

Reply #415087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, I hope the club just doesnt re-sign all of the same players, dont need both Cedar brothers imo, 1 at the max, i also would only keep Holmes and Crawford off the bench aswell, if you are going to be a budget team may as well blood young/exciting talent, much more exciting for the fans to watch than just the same old with less depth.

A team of

PG Norton/? best Aussie PG in SEABL/NZ NBL
SG Import scorer/? One of the Cedars
SF Blanchfield/Crawford
PF Import/ Holmes
C Best 2 Aussie C's in the SEABL/NZ NBL,

If any decent college returnees are coming back try and slot them in, especially in the Bigman department.

Let Norton and Blanchfield loose and let them flourish, should atleast bring some excitement/interest to the team.

Id only play Crawford/Holmes for a max of 15-20 mins per game, dont hate them, both are declining and are not going to be game winners for you, so id let the kids play.

If Hinder is seen to be a good leader/locker room guy then maybe keep him as the back up C. If no good young C's coming through id go for Horvath, atleast he would give you some size, would probably do almost aswell as Neville for presumably alot cheaper. I know neither are young, but harder to gamble on a young C as Allen has shown. Import C's are hard to find, especially on a budget, so going for Aussies/kiwis.

If you got a bit lucky with the imports, could almost be as good as this years team and likely a bit cheaper.

Reply #415157 | Report this post

LeRoid James  
Years ago

They should look at bringing back Corey Homicide Williams. Great player, fan favorite and surely not getting much in Lebanon at the moment.

Reply #415185 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall Cairns made grand final first year
and Wollongong second year - community ownership.
Paying a player more money doesn't make them a better player. I reckon you'll be pretty good .

Reply #415187 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Almost as good as this year's team isn't good enough. This year's team stunk. Either rebuild properly or go all out. None of this middlin' crap. I want young guys and give Norton & Vinnie the keys.

Reply #415260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williams did real well in the seabl. Way past NBL now.

Reply #415350 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754