Periodic Table
Years ago

U18's Nationals Talk

Just wondering if there is any banter out there about how the under 18's nationals are going in Brisbane.

Just looking for people's points of view on teams and who they think is going to win!

Topic #31482 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Men losing to Tassie in Round 1 may come back to bite them!

Reply #415302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie doing damn well - punching above their weight. Heartbraking loss by 2 to Vic Metro (would have loved to have beaten the Vics)...watch out for a kid called Tanner Krebs - gun ..son of Dan who coaches the women Tas team

Reply #415311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro biys 10 up at 3/4 time vs NSW Country, then lost in overtime after being ahead all game.

Huge underachievement by this team?

Reply #415356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krebs did little in the NSW Country V Tas game. Left it all to Kyle Clark and the big dude. Was a vital game to win.

Reply #415366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep good win to Tas

Reply #415372 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Main players in the men's draw appear to be set for semi finals.

Looks like NSW Met v Tasmania should be a tight affair, I predict NSW in a close one but hope Tassie can actually get over them!

In the other half it is an all Vic affair with Vic Met v Vic Country, all the odds stacked against CV I guess but let's hope for an upset shall we??

Final pool games today will determine who plays who, however I believe the above semi finals will be a lock...

Reply #415399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tanner Krebs another 20

Reply #415432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country appear to be as irrelevant as ever at these Nationals! Can't expect a lot when you look at the people in so called Leadership positions!

Reply #415436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SA Country Boys have won 3 games in 3 years.

Its time for some KPI's on the High Performance Coach.

The U16s have been just as bad. A whole lot of people need to become accountable for team selection and performance. Maybe country associations need to hold a special meeting to get things moving.

NSW metro tonight played their bench.

Reply #415438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA country coaches should stop holding their players back from playing senior basketball, surely playing U23 and reserves is better than just playing U18. Sure there is a risk of injury but they could get injured at school!

Reply #415440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I totally agree with above comment I have seen kids get injured more from school or stupidity than on the court with 23's sure it's tough but that's point.. Take the cotton wool and keep it in case they get a nose bleed, U18's playing 23's is development.

Reply #415466 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I will bite on that one.
The problem with kids playing 23's is the lack of communication between coaches who have their own interest at heart, not the players developement.
I agree that good players get better when playing with better players, and often out of their age group but they are often poorly managed.
It is not easy (esp if SAC as that is what I know) to please everyone if the player is playing 18's/23's/ABL (squad or playing)and state training +/- home program and add to that travel time (and heaven forbid... year 12)
They are at risk of imjury if their recovery is not well managed and they are fatgued because potentially 3 different coaches are training them with their own adgenda's, and no coordination with the other coaches.

Reply #415498 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon, that happens in all states, not solely a problem in SA I'm sure...

Well, an exciting end to one semi final, Men's game Vic Met v Vic Country went to the wire...

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/8/07/70/26/48SBGqhCVEqzU/

A couple of makes at the end decided this one, let's hope the other semi final is just as tight!

Reply #415509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too much basketball played at junior level

Reply #415557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Girls tactics laughable

First 4 games

3 point shooting

22 from 113

Reply #415579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA metro girls finish 5th with their laughable tactics.SA country girls 8th with their less amusing tactics.lol

Reply #415597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stat's wise Metro girls looks a team half full of passengers who couldn't shoot or rebound.
Good result then?

Reply #415603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A result is a result, QLD just won the final off the backs of the Froling twins but noone suggesting that it is a bad result

Reply #415606 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

Frolings dominated

26 &18
17 & 16

Qld Sth won bronze over Vic Metro

Reply #415609 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

Vic boys win gold by 3
Bruce Bildens son had a great game foe NSW, 21 & 8

Reply #415619 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

#Bolden

Reply #415620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newly appointed U/17 Australian Coach Mark Watkins sitting on NSW bench coaching the coach

Reply #415622 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Go For It, you forgot to mention that he also had 8 blocks and 7 steals

Reply #415644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden has a long way to go.

Has no mid range game or no face up moves - only slams and wide open 3's.

All his blocks are a sign of his teams poor perimeter D - something that Vic Metro showed in the final.

He was owned by Tassie Men - didn't make a basket for over a half, and then frustrated in the final

Reply #415677 | Report this post

Ball4lyf  
Years ago

Bolden does have a long way to go but he showed that he is a one of a kind player. The kid went close to a quadriple double in a national final.

Although as we all saw in the Tasmania game a couple of bumps and he goes to jelly, it was well scouted by the Tasmania team.

Reply #415705 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Ball4lyf,

From a Country Vic perspective it would appear the girls did a great job to just go down to a strong QLD Nth side and win a silver, while the boys may have run out of steam after a huge effort in the semi against Vic Met going down to the wire...

Any thoughts on how these teams performed? I wasn't able to go, could only guage what Live Stats showed...

Reply #415729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

vic country women should have won game plan was poor

Reply #415734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

time for new blood in vic metro women coaching staff. Some people beleieve thier own hype I am affraid. She is not as good as her fans would have you think.

Reply #415743 | Report this post

ooops  
Years ago

This was the first time I've been to a nationals and thought Vic Metro were one of the worst coached teams there in the girls. I can't believe she got another gig this year, and most certainly won't get another job next year.

Reply #415750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe not so much poor game plan from Vic Country girls but maybe good game plan from Queensland North girls. From what I saw they were the best coached and tight team at the tournament

Reply #415763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

vic country...

played behind the post the whole game
didn't hastle the guards
and didn't blitz the post on catches

I take nothing away from North, they were exceptional, their coach did a great job of managing them throughout the week and building towards the business end. Well done!

I just think Vic Country didn't think strategically how to beat Q North at all.

Reply #415767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

care to expand OOPS ? I agree by the way. Failed in all of her outings as a state coach.

Reply #415816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did the SA Country Girls win the spirt of sportsmenship award? Considering thier record stood at 2 wins, 6 losses. Maybe they class sportsmenship as allowing other teams to win?

Reply #415910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the boys arent up to it they've won 2 games in 2 years. They should invent a new award the "Playoff for the NT cup".

But they all had a great time, parents running the team, I saw it on their facebook social page.

Do any other Basketball programs have such a fun time at National Championships?

Reply #415916 | Report this post

ooops  
Years ago

All I'll say is that group went from 1st to 4th from 16s to 18s, and she looked completely out-matched in the final 4 games.

SAC are the laughingstock of all recent nationals. No one has expectations on WAC or NT & everyone realises they do the best they can. SAC are underachievers who are content with that label. Well beyond due for a change at the top there.

Reply #415948 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

I tend to agree with Ooops but I would limit it to the last two games. I guess Kelly fell asleep thinking other teams would just remain complacent and let Lauren cut through their D all the time. Other coaches however adjusted and Kelly had no answer, no alternative... I don't agree that this is the same team from two years ago, although a similar game plan. We should not forget other teams have also evolved and developed, thus all the kudos to Queensland North, they played really well in the finals although I thought Vic Country fell desperately short in the last 5 sec hitting the rim twice.

Something similar happened to Andrew (NSW). As long as other teams played a man D NSW Metro was doing all right regardless how well Bolden was contained. Tassies did a really good job on him but failed to limit outside shots and the penetration. Vic Metro on the other hand switched from a man D to a full court press collapsing to a zone a half way through the second quarter, taking away time and space, and it was reflected on the scoreboard. They went from -13 to +8. On a number of occasions NSW had only 10 seconds to execute their plays and most of the time violated the shotclock, the shots were rushed and almost every time contested. Vic Metro did a good job blocking out Bolden and while he is an outstanding player, he could not do much without the support from others. For over twenty minutes Andrew had no solution for this D and even Mark could not help him with his advice :) as someone already mentioned above.

Anyway, I really enjoyed watching all the games, especially last 4 and it was a real shame that Tassies did not meet Vic Metro in the GF. Personally don't think Vics would be so lucky this time.

What really caught my attention and made me really proud to be one of the spectators was the sportsmanship and friendship among the players regardless the scores.

Reply #415999 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

First medal for Tassie

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1466176/first-time-medal-to-under-18s/?cs=96

Reply #416008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats great been watching Tassie improve drastically in the boys over recent years. Curious to know what has changed in your program. Coaching standards? Model /Structure of comp. etc ?

Reply #416014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First Medal for Tas in 18's, they have won a couple of silvers in 16's back in the day.

Reply #416015 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

...made a mistake in the above post, the coach's name is Adrian...

The questions about the Tassie success probably should be directed to Justin Schueller, who has done a marvelous job with this group of exceptional boys :)

Reply #416019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A clearly stated, consistent vision that attracted the right athlete/coach and allowed those not on board to either change or move on.

A few years of cultural change which allowed for the dead wood to be discarded.

Lots and lots of hardwork and knowledge investment initiated by the new Coaching Director, originally from SA, and with others slowly buying into the goals of the program and and working hard too.

Now there will be more male Australian reps from Tassie in this age group than any other state.

Now a shining example for other state high performance programs to follow.

Reply #416020 | Report this post

Stewie23  
Years ago

Tassie boys rise started before Justin arrived in Tasmania. Remember the U18 team that finished top 4 here while Schuller was still in SA? Then there was the Greenwood group the year after.

Reply #416022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats excellent to hear, a good success story. Its a pity what is happening to SA Country. So many players and good coaches are just electing not to get involved now. Lets hope for us that Justin gets homesick and the SAC board actually act on poor results.

We need a genuine High Performance Coach

Reply #416024 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

From what I have observed recently the Tassie Institute of Sport program and Justin's Coaching seem to work well together, supporting a talented crop of kids currently playing hoops on the Apple Isle...

Not sure what the problems are in S.A., but they sound like they are more complex and varied, so someone will need to step up for you guys and take some control!

No such bickering and back stabbing coming from Tas posters on this forum, says a lot IMO...

Reply #416046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because SA player development is run by Sadam Hussein!!

Reply #416055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please come back Justin!

Reply #416099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not just Saddam.
Dishonest coaches with their own agenda at the top level doesn't help.

Reply #416105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just released some stats, interesting to see Jack McVeigh's turn over rate

http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-4101-0-255654-0&a=STATS

Jonah Bolden seems to be better defensively than Jack but stats are stats

Reply #416170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the biggest news from this Nationals is the greatly increased Social Media from BA.

Very impressive what they have done over the week, and post tournament. Hopefully they can keep it up for 16s and even 14s.

Reply #416171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly won BV's Female Coach of the Year at last night's awards.

Grant Wallace took out the Men's award.

Reply #416172 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more about the increased social media presence (I can only speak for twitter personally). It was just so far about anything BA have down before, it was quite astounding.

Reply #416175 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So how is it that SA Country girls finished 2 wins and 6 losses and JB has the balls to again give the same old same old speech about what an embarrassment they are to SA, about time he took some responsibility for the poor results over the last few years. He is the one that is the embarrassment.

Reply #417466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems like a reasonably fair assessment of their overall performance which by the way included a ridiculously embarrassing chant performed before the SA metro game.

Reply #417475 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yes we were a little embarrassed about that too.

Reply #417478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard there was some average rotations, some say he took scoring players off replaced with players having little impact, if correct some players with big bench time had higher scoring percentages than others?

Reply #417519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you think 2 wins is good? and doesnt deserve a rev up from the boss???

Did the boys get it as well, they won less!!!

Why do SAC compete at national level they are terrible. A high performance coach is needed.

Reply #417535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC already have a High Performance Coach (JB) perhaps they should alter his title to High Non-Performance Coach? SAC's performances in Nationals is certainly on the decline & in light of these poor performances a complete & thorough review should be done on SAC with all positions (paid & unpaid) put under an intense spotlight.

Reply #417577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re:

Anonymous
Earlier this week
14:34 7 May 13

Reply #417535

re: U18's Nationals Talk

So you think 2 wins is good? and doesnt deserve a rev up from the boss???

Did the boys get it as well, they won less!!!
Why do SAC compete at national level they are terrible. A high performance coach is needed.

We agree that 2 wins is awful. Our daughter was in this team and we knew before we left that this would be a poor result. The girls have all heard it before from JB, but he is responsible for the program and odd selections that had us all scratching our heads. Anyway last tournament for SAC now and away from JB and his yes sir coaches. Lets hope that the players still to come through this system can get a change because its needed.

Reply #418368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do people make complaints known to the board of SAC? or just complain amongst themselves and in forums?

Its sad because SAC have some talented kids, the girls team in particular had a couple of good players and athletes, though appear to lack polish for example the big who only had a left hand though made up for this through relentless effort e.g crashing the boards, strong seals etc.. However the coach made poor decisions i.e subs and play calls losing them some tight games resulting in the 8th place finish.

Reply #418370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the board are not aware of the problems within SAC they have their heads in the sand. There is a common problem that needs to be addressed before more kids are lost this this great game.

Reply #418371 | Report this post

Big V  
Years ago

Heard that Vic Metro womens coaches were non existent. No revving up of the team. 'Poor selection and no change ups. Very sad. Kelly may need to go back to assist. Some may not be up to it. Even the Coach of the Year.Look forward.
Don't know if anyone noticed the sides who had least time together seemed to be tighter units! Vic Metro girls were together too long. I think it may have become a chore not a fantastic experience.

Reply #418449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the vic metro team were a very tight group IMO they seemed to get along very well and play hard for each other and enjoy each others company.

Unfortunately their PG got injured in the semi and they couldn't shot the ball to save themselves in the final game/s. the girls didn't appear to turn against each other or become bitchy at all IMO (from an outsider perspective)

I agree the coaching was not great. I think the structures did not really suite the players which they had and there was some strange subs and timeouts. Though I would hardly say she didn't rev the team up, they just didn't perform in the big games and the structure/ some decisions didn't help.

I would definitely expect a new Vic Metro coach next year based on result alone.

Reply #418451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You might want to look a bit deeper into the selection process as well. What Hawth player was named as emergency and who came into the team when they had their first precomp injury ?
Is it true that same player has now left the club ?
Seems COTY mismanaged more than the State team.

Reply #418503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not from vic so I won't be needing to look deeper. just didn't agree with your comment regarding the team chemistry.

seems like you have something very personal against this coach. this forums not going to fix it sorry.

Reply #418509 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754