Relative No-one
Years ago

Mike Dunlap Fired

I have just lost ALL respect for Michael Jordan and the Charlotte Bobcats. They have fired Mike Dunlap after 1 year as Head Coach.

What an utter disgrace!!

So, Adelaide 36ers. Hire him now!!

Topic #31486 | Report this topic

Over the Bobcats  
Years ago

Nobody respects the Bobcats at all. Last season they only won 7 games worst in NBA history. Rubbish franchise and only somebody desperate to coach would take the job. Maybe they should have a look at the Wizards , it's possible to turn it around with time. Next season it's possible the Wizards could push for a playoff berth in the EC which is weak. It depends on who they add to the roster , obviously Jordan wants instant results. That team has been rubbish since Gerald Wallace , Felton and Jackson moved on.

Reply #415241 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

From the outside looks like a poor decision, but didn't see much development from the younger players such as Kidd-Gilchrist as the year progressed. This can be the only reason I see.

Reply #415243 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

The Bobcats finally discovered what the 36ers already knew years ago.

Reply #415246 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Everyone said he let things get too personal with too many players. Too many feuds, benchings, etc.

Reply #415253 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's amazing that the guy got the job in the first place...

Reply #415254 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Is it the players or the organisation that wins a title Jordan? Gotta have the right structures & people in place to get the most out of players.

Reply #415265 | Report this post

SpeedwagonUncle  
Years ago

Don't know how many of you watched the Bobcats, but they probably lost 10-15 games based on his silly zone defense alone.

Reply #415293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it amazing the guy got the job in the first place, Mick?

Reply #415295 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

He was an assistant coach in college...thats why duh

Reply #415315 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The firing doesn't bother me, as the personal conflict with players (Especially Ben Gordon) shows he can micromanage players too much to be a good NBA coach.

But I really don't know how many games they expected to win this year.

IMO, the Bobcats have all these big expectations on their players to develop into superstars. But in reality:

-Walker is an tiny PG, who is a career 40% FG and 31%3pFG shooter, who will get his offense, but do it by been a volume shooter. Struggles to defend.

-Biyombo is only 20..If he is going to develop into an AS he needs at least another 2-3 years.

-Kidd-Gilchrist is really special in anything he does..and his jump shot is severely flawed.

Reply #415326 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree Macdub. The win loss record is nothing to scoff at with a team this short of personnel. So if they are firing him on those grounds it's a bit much.

I don't think that's why they got rid of him though. There were clearly too many interpersonal problems that you can't really accept from a coach this inexeperienced.

Reply #415332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, Biyombo is 20.

Reply #415340 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

If he'd lost the last 3 games, they would have ended with the Number 1 pick in the draft.

Sacked for winning those?

Reply #415342 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

The team with the worst record doens't usually get the number 1 pick anyway.

Yeah they didn't do very well this season, but I assume he got the job with an expectation of developing the young players.
Hard to do that in just 1 season.

So it is very strange to fire him this quickly.
Maybe he didn't get on with the management or had lost the players already.

It will be interesting to see who they can get to take the job.

Reply #415347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not a matter of 'getting someone to take the job', it's a pretty lucrative position.

Reply #415365 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754