Isaac
Years ago

Mike Brown back to coach Cavs

Mike Brown and the Cleveland Cavaliers are getting back together.

Brown, who coached the Cavs to the playoffs in all five seasons (2005 to 2010), has agreed to a five-year, $20 million deal, sources told ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst and ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard on Tuesday. The Cavs have a team option for the fifth year, which is partially guaranteed for Brown.
Full article on ESPN

Topic #31491 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Years ago

It better be performance-based.

Too many under-achieving coaches on the NBA merry-go-round, with some really capable ones waiting for their chance.

Reply #415312 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Stupid choice.

Reply #415317 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

5 years??!?

Reply #415324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, it's not. He's a defence first coach, which is what the cavs need and we don't actually know what offence he will run because he has tried many different systems in his coaching career. Look at the numbers, he actually has efficient offensive teams.

Reply #415325 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He's a better coach than Mike D'Antoni. I'll give him that.

Reply #415329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come you think it's a bad choice?

Reply #415330 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'm only an amateur coach but ... he didn't seem to be able to handle strong Lakers personalities and mould them into a working unit quickly, and didn't seem to be able to accept when his offense wasn't working and change it.

Reply #415334 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Because his offensive strategy is "give the ball to your best player and get everyone else to stand around and watch". He is a decent defensive coach though.

Reply #415335 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Mock drafts have them with the 3rd or 4th pick.

Would love to see them go and get Shabazz Muhammad.

Interesting to see what they could do in the next few years with:

PG:Irving
SG: Waiters
SF: Shabazz
PF:Tristan Thompson
C: Varejao

Reply #415338 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

5 years is ludicrous.

Reply #415352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not ludicrous because Brown has coached there before. Gilbert knows exactly what he's getting and success is all about continuity and chemistry. It's not silly at all. Gilbert has just bought the team a long term identity. Whether good or bad (it's good) at least this team has an identity now.

Reply #415362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Furthering my point, Brown has won coach of the year before. Are we forgetting that?

Reply #415363 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

Anon,

What ridiculous comments you have made. Apart from copying what you might have heard someone say on ESPN, how would you know if he is a good defensive coach or not? He got coach of the year not for his defensive coaching abilities but because he had the best player on the planet in his team and he was in a weak division of the NBA. Mike Brown is a clown and Dan 'Mr we will win a title b4 Lebron does' Gilbert is a bigger clown for rehiring this bloke for 5 years. He will be fired in 2 years max and again will get another payout which is a bigger joke than both of them put together!

Reply #415375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

?,

Go and look up the stats of Mike Brown coached teams and tell me what you find. Please look it up and get back to me.

Also, in regards to your ESPN comment, what exactly do you mean?

Reply #415386 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

Oh he has an overall winning record, my bad, i do apologise, you are right he must automatically be considered a great coach and because you must of heard some commentator say he is a defensive minded coach then you are right he must be great at teaching d.

His great called winning coaching record is directly contributed to a bloke you might of heard of called LeBron James not his fantastic defensive coaching philosopies which worked wonders in the playoffs with the Cavs and at the Lakers!

Next you will be saying D'Antoni is a great offensive coach because he had a winning record at PHX and commentators have said he is an offensive coach! As it is clear to all at the lakers he ain't no genius!

The cavs re-signing brown is as smart a move as it would be for the sixers to resign Marty Clarke. Hearing these blokes in interviews and during games it amazes me how they get jobs, I would luv to see their job interviews as they are clowns, very similar to Mark Neeld at the Demons.

But hey we are all entitled to our own opinions no matter how misinformed they might be.

Enjoy watching the cavs stink again next year but hey I'm sure they will play much better defense ha ha

Reply #415391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, we are all entitled to our opinions without putting each other down.

This is what you seem like
http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer/tips/you-cant-win-an-argument-with-a-troll-

You're obviously an upstart kid like Ingles13 who does not know how to put a point across. You ain't winning anything by insulting the person you are trying to persuade. Because of your snide comments, I just switched off to everything you said, even if it was of value. How can you possibly think your little spiel is credible?

Are you going to go and check the numbers like I asked and make this an actual debate?

Reply #415392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well this question mark guy obviously has nothing smart to say...

Reply #415431 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

I'm sure I posted that he was coming back a few weeks back? Way before the official confirmation!

Reply #415566 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754