longman
Years ago

Singapore Slingers

Any players on the current asean team left from the nbl roster?

Went to their game last week and there were maybe 4000 there, good crowd!

Had an import also...

Could they return to nbl? Or perhaps cba?
is asean good?

Topic #31512 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

No former NBL players. Haven't been for some time. However former Newcastle Falcons legend Michael Johnson is the assistant coach.

As for them re-entering the NBL. Won't happen. But when the Crocs tried to hand back their license, there was talks about the NBL joining the ABL (ASEAN Basketball League). Which from my understanding is still an option depending on what happens with Townsville.

Reply #415642 | Report this post

DJ MOJO  
Years ago

I went to a Slingers game in Singapore in Jan v Thai Chang Slammers coached by Joe Bryant.The stadium was very empty and the standard of basketball very far behind then NBL. Ther worst team in NBL would beat either of these teams by 40 points plus. in that regard cant see it happening.

Reply #415687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find Nat that Pero and Larry Davidson played for the Slingers.

Reply #415696 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Played yes, but not on their current roster.

Reply #415735 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

And if he wanted to Macdonald whom was on that roster could still be in the NBL.

Reply #415737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really? He struggled in the NBL with Perth and didnt make the cut from 10 teams to 8 because he was in those last few places. He struggled with physicality of pro basketball.

Reply #415739 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I saw a Slingers match a couple of years ago and the standard wasn't as high as NBL, but it was still very entertaining. Kyle Jeffers was their import and played well, but played within himself.

The atmosphere was pretty good and against the Brunei Barracudas they were always going to win. Singapore is always going to have a lot of ex-pats who are looking for entertainment like basketball.

Their season (Jan - May) is a bit out of whack with our ABL (Apr-Aug), but I think a game between Singapore and our CABL Premiers would be a very interesting match.

Reply #415751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wellington Saints (nznbl) have looked at logistics of joining Asian league since no joy with nbl

Reply #416062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wellington have never submitted an application to the NBL.

Reply #416096 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There's been talk

Reply #416097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk yes, but to their friends in the media. They have never gone to the NBL and said we want in and this is how we propose to do it.

Reply #416098 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Slingers just now lost yet another Grand Final Series - this time at home up by double digits in the deciding Game 5.

They have a reputation of being choke artists - it's their third runner-up finish in the last four seasons. Yet again denying the former Cannons/Pirates licence an Asian title! :p

Reply #744068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow random thread bump you must be bored.

Reply #744083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm happy with the information, always good to what’s happening elsewhere.

Reply #744108 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Glad you found the info useful.

Reply #744204 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:12 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754