Isaac
Years ago

First active NBA player comes out

"NBA player Jason Collins is the first active player in a major US sport to come out of the closet. He explains why in a piece for Sports Illustrated."

http://m.si.com/2854664/an-nba-player-comes-out/

Sad that this has only just happened in 2013 and the world has taken so long to adjust.

So far Kobe Bryant and Baron Davis have tweeted their support from what I've seen.

Edit: Also Steve Nash and Pau Gasol, plus Bill Clinton and his daughter.

Bravo.

Next up, Chris Bosh comes out? Even if just as a lizard?

Topic #31523 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Society's not ready for lizards Isaac, baby steps please...

Reply #415884 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

Haha lizard

Reply #415894 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Then MJ gonna come out and say he's a GOAT lol

Reply #415906 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Bosh is married with kids isn't he?

Reply #415908 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

this is a guy trying to save his career....as he won't get a gig next year.

Reply #415915 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Chris Broussard from ESPN looking like a grade-A douchebag with his commentary on this issue.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/espn-chris-broussard-clarifies-views-jason-collins-don-221941033.html

Reply #415920 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Obviously a lot of people disagree with Broussard but those calling for his sacking are just as ignorant.

Reply #415925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has an imaginary friend who says it's a sin for two adults to love each other. I think he needs to seek mental help before continuing as a writer.

Reply #415926 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

this is a guy trying to save his career....as he won't get a gig next year.
I'm sure he appreciates your timely and thoughtful support. Could've left that unsaid or saved it for another time. Same with Broussard.

He's a guy announcing something that he should never have had to keep private for the bulk of his adult life. I'd say that's a much bigger deal than his playing career at age 34. His president didn't call him to say "Hope you get a contract next season."

Mick's article (by Kelly Dwyer) is worth reading, for everything but Broussard's quoted segment.

Reply #415935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys, chill out. Broussard was simply asked his opinion and he gave it... He isn't being over the top about it.

Reply #415937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac you lament that it has taken this long for the world to adjust and then in practically the next breath come up with the highly original Chris Bosh quip "Next up, Chris Bosh comes out?"

Seems a little odd that you would seemingly acknowledge the gravity of the announcement and then a moment later come out with a gay joke.

I daresay in some small way this is a part of the problem, making jokes about someone's imagined sexuality because their mannerisms seem in some way strange or effeminate to you.

Reply #415941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because it is your opinion doesn't mean everyone else has to respect it.

Reply #415943 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Thats right, but just because someone's opinion differs from yours it doesnt mean that they should lose their job.

Reply #415946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac is simply supporting the GLBTL (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transexual and lizard) community.

Why can't we embrace Bosh as a basketballer who just happens to be a lizard?

Reply #415947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Situation yes it does. Many times people lose their jobs for voicing an opinion which is inappropriate and this case should be no exception.

Reply #415949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grow up Boys!!!

Reply #415950 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Who determines what is or isn't appropriate? He didn't discriminate against Collins - he simply stated he doesn't agree with homosexuality.

By all means, disagree with him and boycott his shows, but he is entitled to feel that way and say so (although I think the timing of it was pretty ordinary.)

Reply #415951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think he should lose his job, but what upsets me is when people hide behind religion and think that's not bigotry. Of course it's still bigotry. It just means you have a big organisation behind you that's just as bigoted as you are.

The sad thing about all this is that it's a story at all.

Reply #415963 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I guess you could argue he didn't discriminate against Jason, but using what Broussard said on national TV, many others will now. He should definitely lose his job over it.

If Broussard is such a devout P.O.S. then he should complain about the Big 4 sports playing games on the sabbath, or the use of leather balls, or the players having tattoos, or working with women in the ESPN offices who are at that time of the month.

But he won't because as usual, he is one of those pick and choose christians (most of them are, especially in the US). F**k him and his bronze age bullshit views.

Reply #415964 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

As for his "I don't agree with homosexuality" quote. WTF does that even mean? That's like me saying "I don't agree with "being black". The man is an obvious moron, he has officially "come out" as one now.

I laugh at these dipshits who think homosexuality is a "choice". Can you remember the day you made up your mind to be straight? Standing in the playground at school, looking at Jenny and Jonny, and deciding that Jenny was the way to go? Idiots!

Reply #415968 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

415941, Bosh's mannerisms seem lizard-like to me. I thought of it more as a lizard joke than a gay joke. I take your point otherwise, however.

Reply #415969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said speedy

Reply #415974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Speed 44.

Just ignore people like Broussard and well done to Jason Collins to announce this especially in a country like the US.

Reply #415975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For a country (much like ours) built on free speech this is a little over the top. THe man has his beliefs and is not recruiting others into his beliefs. He simply gives his opinion, in a free country might I add, and gets lamented. People are entitled to dislike something and comment on it as much as they like. The difference as is when they act that dislike out with hate, which is clearly not the case here.

Reply #415984 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the issue is one of tact? If you're called for an interview, you could just say "Probably not the best time. This moment is about him, not me."

Reply #415986 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

yay igota funny tag lol
Lizard

Reply #415988 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The issue here is are the players going to be the same with him now. We've all heard the thoughts from guys like Tmac. Could be interesting.

Reply #415992 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Did anyone notice Julius Hodeg's comments on Twitter? Not 100% supportive.

Reply #415993 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Broussard is entitled to his own opinion, and it gave it. I don't see a problem with that.

What is upsetting is that people naturally have less tolerance towards homosexuality. It seems to concern them more than other peoples life decisions (religion, gender preference, political views.)

You don't hear Broussard, and other people say stuff like:

"I don't agree with Mehmet Okur and his Muslim faith. I consider it sinful. Or I don't agree with Amare and his Jewish Faith, its sinful."

Broussard should just stick to talking about ESPN. When you involve religion into anything, it becomes messy.

Reply #415995 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I dont understand the need to "come out". Do what you want to do with your own life, noones ever come out saying "Im not gay!!!". Why is there a need to highlight to the world that he or anyone else is, havent we moved past the point of caring now.

"As for his "I don't agree with homosexuality" quote. WTF does that even mean? That's like me saying "I don't agree with "being black". The man is an obvious moron, he has officially "come out" as one now. "

In regards to the comment above, some people still CHOOSE to be gay (mostly women we guys are that bad). Until people stop saying they are choosing it, you will have the opinion its a choice.

Reply #415996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skud, spoken as someone who has no idea about the subject.

Not having a go at you, just pointing out that your comments of non understanding or suggesting anyone can CHOOSE to be gay or for that matter straight is to a lot of people insulting and just not scientifically factual.

Reply #416004 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

has there ever been anyone in the NBL kick the door off the closet?

Reply #416005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if he was openly gay, but I think TT from Perth was asuumed.

Reply #416007 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Kiwi journalists are close, with their constant references to the ANAL.

Reply #416009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Mystro - Trevor Torrance?

Reply #416010 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

Broussard also said in the same quote that people having pre-marital sex are sinning... which I'm sure is the majority of the league. So he hasn't singled out Jason Collins and other gay people too much.

Reply #416012 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Of course you don't understand the "need" to come out. I'm guessing you're straight. I'm straight too, and I guess I don't understand all the ramifications of not coming out, but I can see why they do it. But my guess is that, he has probably been living a quiet secret existence all this time.

Why should anyone have to hide who they are just to appease others? Why should he have to hide from his friends and peers? The reason he is doing this so publicly is that the next Jason Collins will have the freedom and courage to say it without worrying about being judged by f**ktards like Broussard.

Of course straight people like you and me will never understand fully why the "need" to come out, because we don't have to. We are not prejudiced against for being straight, we are not called "abominations", we are not disowned by our parents for being straight. We are not looked at strangely by co-workers for being straight. We are not called names and have other abuse hurled at us for holding our partners hands in Rundle Mall. Pretty simple why we wouldn't understand the "need".

Oh, and this "choosing" to be gay business is utter bull. Those women you are talking about, are usually experimenting, bisexual, or chances are were gay and hiding it to "fit in" in the first place. This does not qualify as a choice. If your other half cheated on you so badly that you were disgusted by women, would you say "I know, I'll try men!"? My guess is no, you wouldn't, as you are not gay and do not have that attraction in the first place.

Reply #416013 | Report this post

kdb  
Years ago

People in this forum and in this country seem to manipulate the word "tolerance" to meaning "you must accept my opinion or you are a bigot, hater or discriminatory or even old-fashioned".

Tolerance is required by all on both sides of the debate. I have very strict religious views, some similar to Broussards, some different, some even more extreme.

Does that mean that I am a hate filled bigot? or homophobic, even though I have worked for successfully, and have family members and friends who are gay? I dont agree with alcohol but it doesnt mean I hate people who drink. That is just ridiculous to called me a bigot because I choose to believe something you don't.

We are all entitled to our opinion and must be respected. People can make their choices and I respect them, but I don't have to agree or support them. I have my right to reject or refrain as I choose fit.

Everyone has that choice. Including gays, fornicators and whatever other sin each of us may have. Come out, stay in, that's everyone's choice but don't expect everyone to support you or applaud you, but don't take any disrespect either.

Broussard can have his opinion and so can you... But hating is a refection of your ignorance. Something apparent on both sides of the debate.....

Reply #416021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi, Im straight, just thought everyone should know.

Reply #416023 | Report this post

independent  
Years ago

well said kdb
I have a christian faith also and it seems that people can slander those of faith all they like

It's easy though, you love the person (Collins) but hate the act (all that which is against God)

Reply #416025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB, the reason Broussard would have focused on religion is because Collins has said that he is a Christian. Then (according to the Bible, not colloquy) Collins is being hypocritical by being a homosexual. Collins is stuck between a rock and a hard place I know (because being gay is not a decision), but that's the way it is.

Reply #416026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said kdb, Im not christian at all but I do get sick of 'tolerance' being substituted for agreeing with one particular view.

Reply #416027 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Sexuality is a choice, just like religions, politics and everything else in the world. We all choose what we do and how we do it.

Him coming out shouldn't even be big news. People should hear about it and be able to continue on in life normally. When a woman comes out as being gay we don't give it a second glance, so why do we for men? Is it because being a lesbian is considered a trendy cool thing to do?

Reply #416029 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Oh and comments about how Jason has committed a sin. Sexuality isn't a sin, and if there is a heaven he can do what he likes as long as he believes in god (that's the only way you get into heaven, belief and not actions).

Reply #416030 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No, its because its hot (if the right girls are lezzing out)

Reply #416031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey, I believe you are totally wrong regarding your comments about sexuality. And I'm pretty sure 100% of those educated on the matter would say the same. But, you are entitled to your opinion son.

Haha The Situation, you got that right

Reply #416032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sexuality is not a choice. Anyone who says it is doesn't understand human nature.

Choosing to act on your sexuality is a choice. There's a difference.

Being heterosexual isn't a choice but having sex with a woman before marriage is. To disapprove of someone or their sexuality is bigoted and discrimination which is very different to disapproving of someone choosing to commit an act before marriage.

Reply #416033 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

^ Bingo! We have a winner, well said.

Reply #416034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kdb I don't have a lot of respect for people who say 'they must be respected'. Respect is earned. Treat others well and I'll respect you. Have a poor opinion of them because of something that is absolutely nothing to do with you - I don't respect that.

I'm still on hoops.com.au, right?

Reply #416035 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

It's funny how Kobe is congratulating him on coming when Kobe was the guy who was shouting out homophobic slurs to a referee In front of MILLIONS just last year. The irony

Reply #416038 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

hmmm KDB to say all opinions need to be respected is pretty absurd.

If your opinion is that black people should be enslaved then ofcourse I wouldnt respect you or your opinion. The same goes if you believe that gay people don't deserve equal rights... It doesn't make sense to respect that opinion.

PS: Ricey, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone else that believes being gay is a choice.

Reply #416041 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I really want to post something here.........Damn, just can't do it.........Bugger me.........Nope, just can't seem to.......I want to, but, nah!!!

Reply #416043 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No, Ingles13, that isn't irony. That would be hypocrisy if anything, but as Kobe has previously said, he learned from his mistake and now educates others.

Reply #416049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If one was having a kid and would like to know how to find this gay gene everyone speaks about, how would they go about it? I once stupidly thought that you could not be born gay and that it was a choice, but many a gays have convinced me otherwise that they are born this way. Most genes are detectable at an early age in infants.
So just wondering if anyone knows how to find this gene.

Thanks a million in advance.

Reply #416050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's right next to the straight gene.

You're welcome.

Reply #416051 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's funny how Kobe is congratulating him on coming when Kobe was the guy who was shouting out homophobic slurs to a referee In front of MILLIONS just last year. The irony
In the schoolyard and pubs, males (especially) grow up with "fag" and the like as a very standard insult. I know of one friend who still uses it as their go-to insult (anon from earlier, can I please evoke stereotypes and note that this previously partnerless, preened guy drove a purple Mirage until recent years?).

Likewise speaking of something negatively as "gay"; "Then we lost the game. So gay." The same goes with calling someone a "retard." At some point in lives, these insults are thoughtless and instinctive and habits have to be broken with a conscious decision.

In the heat of a moment, I can understand how someone's quick response is something they might later regret. Or how it might take an incident or correction to make a later effort to watch what they say and break bad habits. That could well have happened with Kobe.

Reply #416053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RIght next to the straight gene? So your not born this way? I don't understand? Wait, so this is a choice? Blimey!!!!!!! I've been fooled

Reply #416056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when did you choose to be straight?

Reply #416060 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I don't think calling a friend a "fag" or referring to something as "gay" is an insult as such these days, just like using the C bomb as a nice way to say hi to a friend. Know plenty of gay guys who will say something is gay or call each other fag, just like a straight guy. Then again, there are people who both straight and gay take huge offence to it.

And I agree who you are attracted to isn't something you can particularly choose, but acting on it is a choice. Having said that, there are churches in America that change people's sexuality, so who really knows these days.

Reply #416061 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Having said that, there are churches in America that change people's sexuality, so who really knows these days."

No, they shame people back in to the closet.

Reply #416063 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

"Having said that, there are churches in America that change people's sexuality, so who really knows these days."

These churches are scammers, no one has been "converted".

http://starcasm.net/archives/215711

Reply #416064 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Lol Bear. Does it really matter if he's gay? He can ball right?...so why do some get so strung out over this news? The sad thing is you know other players on the court will be trash talking him big time now. I'm sure the Nba has hefty fines for such behaviour though??

Reply #416065 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

they won't trash talk him for being gay, they all know the mics and cameras will all be on him come the new season to see what is said/happens.

Reply #416070 | Report this post

loli  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LYbUnbR3Ss

Reply #416075 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Hahahahahhahahahahahaha

Reply #416076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So ingles you've never called a mate a fag? I have no problem whatsoever with homosexuals, I respect everyone until they lose my respect that how I was raised. The thing is mate the term fag or gay c@nt are terms used everyday it's just a saying so yeah Kobe called a ref a faggot but let's be real he didn't mean the ref is gay, just a saying to express his anger.

So quick to diss the Mumba....

Relax ingles he will be retired by 2015.

Unfortunately because kobe is arguably the greatest Laker you'll time you will hear his name for the rest of your life.

Sucks to be you.

Reply #416107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn iPhone

Greatest Laker of all time

Reply #416109 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

No I'm too mature to use gay/fag/gaycunt or whatever as a descriptor to anybody as that is just plain stupid. I prefer to use f***wit, dumbass or d***head or something like that. Using a homophobis slur to describe someone is incredibly childish and immature

Reply #416119 | Report this post

sixers33  
Years ago

I eagerly await hearing Tim Hardaway's opinion

Reply #416121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Followed by that of Shavlik Randolph.

Reply #416130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread has us all feeling a little gay! Good to be happy.

Reply #416132 | Report this post

kdb  
Years ago

@MIM/Anon - To say that opinions need to earn respect is hypocritical because why should gay peoples opinions be any more respected than mine? Have they earned it more than me have they?? Everyone has the right to any opinion they like.... Its how you act that needs to earn respect.

Every opinion has the right to be respected. I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman and is central to a stable family unit that supports the development of children. To say that this opinion is bigoted is when our entire society is framed upon such a principle is bigoted itself.

I don't hate gay people, or hate the acts per se. If coming out makes Jason feel better then good on him, but he can't expect that everyone will agree with him, but that they accept him for who he is, and in return, he accepts others who disagree with him and mutual respect is given from both parties.

Since people are throwing their weight around, to say that being gay is morally or socially ok because its natural is a poor argument. Pedophiles are naturally aroused by children and that is definitely not nor will it ever be acceptable! I am naturally attracted to other women but it is not ok to cheat on my wife.

Mutual acceptable of contrary views needs to be considered. If a gay player on a team comes out, they deserve to be respected but i won't lie I probably wouldn't share a shower or dress naked as it would make me feel uncomfortable.

Why is that view considered homophobic when I wouldn't get undressed in front of heterosexual women because they are attracted to men not the same thing??

Why can't both sides of the debate learn to respect each others views and personal space?

Reply #416143 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

For starters, it's not Jason Collins' opinion. It's who HE IS!! It's not an opinion.

Secondly, you can not be a pedophile when you are 5 years old, but I had friend in primary school who was gay, before I (and I'm guessing, even he) even knew what that was. We were only 5 but it was obvious by the way he interacted with girls and boys. Sure enough, by early HS, he had come out to us, but I knew ever since I met him.

Pedophilia is not a "natural attraction", it is a lack of mental development. To compare it to homosexuality is a typical low-brow, uneducated response.

The marriage argument is bullshit too. If my widowed Grandma wants to re-marry, I'm gonna say "No Grandma!! You are not allowed to marry, it's only for the development of children, not for your personal happiness!! Don't be so f**king selfish!!!".

Or if my infertile brother and his GF want to get married, I have to say "NO! You selfish bastards, if you can't produce offspring, you cannot be married and be happy!!".

You wouldn't share a shower with him because you think he may look at you? You conceited P.O.S.! If he does want to admire your body quietly, be flattered FFS. If you look after yourself, and are at the beach looking good, I'm sure you'd appreciate the ladies looking at ya. Ahhh, but he's male.....but it's not homophobic, nooooo, not at all.

"I don't hate gay people, or hate the acts per se. If coming out makes Jason feel better then good on him, but he can't expect that everyone will agree with him, but that they accept him for who he is, and in return, he accepts others who disagree with him and mutual respect is given from both parties."

Of course not everyone will "agree" with him, but that is their problem, not his. What does this "agree/disagree" thing even mean anyway? If my eye color is blue, can you disagree with me? No you f**ktard, you can't. YOU have the problem, YOU deal with it, and YOU STFU! Jesus!!!

Reply #416185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the bible has been used to maintain status quo in race, in gender and in sexuality. it's power for the incumbents.

believers are nuts.

Reply #416191 | Report this post

kdb  
Years ago

@Speed44 - Wow! your vitriolic response astounds me. For someone who is supporting tolerance, you sure don't allow it for opinions not of your own.

To be clear your arguments are emotional and not logical.

1. My quote was marriage is "central" to a family unit not the sole purpose. (by the way personal happiness - your argument is the the definition of selfishness eg. personal , not thinking about others). I didn't say only those who can or choose to have children only should get married, nor do I support such statements. You have misrepresented me. I accept your apology in advance.

2. As someone who is adopted and knowing family and friends who are, let me be clear.... Identity and knowing where you are from affects ALL children away from their home. To say that marriage and family doesn't affect others and the definition of life and heritage is ignorant from those without experience... Something I have.

3. At 5 my friend, your brain and body have not developed to a point where you can understand sexuality, you cannot know your gay or a pedophile so your argument supports me. To say that pedophilia is mental and sexuality isn't is confusing. Man, woman, child - how do you tell the difference between what is mental and what isn't? Are you a psychologist, doctor, professor or an expert? Then how does anyone know that your assessment is correct? P.S your argument looks pretty stupid when Jason Collins is gay at 34 but was heterosexual for 30 years! In a long term relationship for 8 years and was even engaged.... No one forced him to get engaged or not date a woman. Either he lied to the woman he professed to love for 8 long years or he has chosen to be gay.

4. And lastly, I am not conceited... I was merely pointed out that I wouldn't feel comfortable. I accept that to be my decision not anyone elses. Thought I would be honest. Trolls like you don't like honesty??

@Speed44 - before you rant on while you misquote and misrepresent me and pull out more hatred and mockery of my belief/opinion, think about whether you are showing the same tolerance to both sides of the argument.

This countries discriminates base on race, origin, gender and age is so many ways, just go ask the people who are in detention camps, aboriginals, immigrants... Trust me discrimination is everywhere.

Your name calling and bullying tactics to me might promote the facade that you are in the right but you are actually displaying the very behavior gay people are trying to stop in promoting acceptance and tolerance.

Reply #416215 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No one forced him to get engaged or not date a woman.
!
Either he lied to the woman he professed to love for 8 long years or he has chosen to be gay.
Or he existed not at one extreme of the continuum of sexuality. And/or societal pressure pushed him down a path that wasn't truly him, he stuck at it believing an alternative was failure (as would be drummed in to many by communities and families) and then realised his personal truth.
To say that pedophilia is mental and sexuality isn't is confusing.
I don't think that's what was said. It was suggested that paedophilia is related to mental impairment. Wikipedia: "researchers began reporting a series of findings linking pedophilia with brain structure and function: Pedophilic men have lower IQs, poorer scores on memory tests" etc. One is considered "sexual preference" and the other "sexual orientation", though the two are not entirely exclusive.

Regardless, " the scientific consensus is that sexual orientation is not a choice..." The distinguishing factor in that matter of choice between the two is that one is directly harmful and the other not. Something like higher rate of depression or suicide or whatever amongst a gay community remains because of attitudes within society.

Reply #416227 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

#1. An apology? Ha. People do marry to be happy, not to procreate. Procreation is a choice a couple make. So anyone, as long as they love each other, should be able to be married and not be dictated to by some bronze age zealots. Why marriage equality is even an issue in 2013 is astounding to me. You are on the wrong side of history, if you believe otherwise.

#2. I don't believe I ever mentioned children, or being away from their homes. Whatever.

#3. That's sort of what I said: "I had friend in primary school who was gay, before I (and I'm guessing, even he) even knew what that was.". Yes, he probably didn't know he was gay, but it was obvious to a lot of us, looking back, that he was already at 5. I don't know about you, but at 5 and 6 I was already mad about a girl in my class, and had a super crush on my Grade 1 teacher. Sure, we don't understand sexuality at that age, but we know what we're attracted to.

If you read Jason's article, he knew he was gay from a young age. He admitted to living a lie to fit in. He was never hetero for 30 years. Way to look it up chief. Elton John got married too, and Freddie Mercury lived with a woman for years. They must've been straight too, yeah?

Also, I never said that sexuality isn't mental. Who's misconstruing now? I said that pedophilia is a lack of mental development.

#4. The issue is why you wouldn't feel comfortable.

I care not for your sky fairy. I don't care if you follow the bible. I'm just sick of the religious spouting their beliefs on the rest of us. If you want to be religious, great! But stay out of women's uterus', people's bedrooms, politics, and public schools. In fact, I believe freedom of religion to be a right that should not be interfered with by anyone. And my no religion is part of that freedom.

Atheists/agnostics aren't the ones trying to stop abortion on religious grounds, or the day after pill, or trying to get creationism taught in schools, that is you guys trying to force yourselves on us. Sometimes, we have to fight back. Sick of the religious screaming "prejudice", must hurt to have some of the treatment that the churches have been dishing out for centuries, come back at them. Well too bad.

If Collins' life disgusts you so much, don't comment, stay out of it, and don't tell us what you believe about it. We know that the bible contains one little quote about man laying with man, it has many other quotes too of which I find most christians do not live by. Funny how they hang on that one though.

Reply #416233 | Report this post

kdb  
Years ago

@Speed44 - I am so sorry you are a victim of religious zealots. I really feel sorry that you have to "fight back" against such forces which cause you to feel trapped in a prison of moral influence.

Lets turn your words back at you:

I care not for never existing when I die. I don't care if you don't follow the bible. I'm just sick of the anti-religious and spouting their beliefs on the rest of us Christian. If you want to be not religious, great! But stay out of unborn children's lives (when they move, breathe and have heartbeats), people's homes when they teach that we should strive to create loving family relationships that support procreation, my god given right to have an opinion on politics, and that public schools and what they teach include my children. In fact, I believe freedom of religion to be a right that should not be interfered with by anyone (including you so stay away from what i teach my children and the right I have to voice my opinion to what is taught to them). And my religion is part of that freedom to have a say in political matters just as your right is as a citizen of this country. So do not discriminate against my rights just because I am a minority, your bullying is the same behaviour that gay people are trying to stop.

You said:
Atheists/agnostics aren't the ones trying to stop abortion on religious grounds (not religious, on the definition that a baby has a brain and heartbeat before 24 weeks and living beings can be born at that age and therefore should constitute a living being), or the day after pill (my religion is not against that), or trying to get creationism taught in schools ( why the hell not, remember its called the "theory" of evolution, why can't other "theories" be included in the debate), that is you guys trying to force yourselves on us. Sometimes, we have to fight back. (Seriously??? I thought this is about acceptance and inclusion)

Sick of the religious screaming "prejudice", must hurt to have some of the treatment that the churches have been dishing out for centuries, come back at them. Well too bad. - This is the problem, you don't care for tolerance, you want revenge. Speed44 - do you have children, why don't steal yours and give them back to the Aborigines.... Doesn't make it right.

You see, bullies like you are willing to have a crack at Christians for their beliefs, but haven't heard one of you talk about Islam faith. I dare you to start saying that Allah is a sky fairy while walking down Parramatta.

You bullies will pick on the Christians because we are easy targets and we don't fight back.

I go back to my original point. I have the democratic right to choose my religion, my view on politics and education just like everyone else.

You are allowed yours and I am allowed my without the fear of being harassed, mocked or bullied by trolls like you.

Reply #416247 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ cliff notes?

Reply #416249 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

^ Does not know what a scientific theory actually means.

I will and have happily questioned islam too, no skin off my nose. Why should I fear questioning other mostly rational beings?

If you want your child taught about religion, you have options. First and foremost, do it at home if you really must indoctrinate them. If you couldn't be bothered doing that, send them to the many religious schools that exist, and happily teach creationism. I and many other people do not want religion taught in public schools, if it is, it must be all faiths on a study level, not as truths. Oh, and evolution vs creationism is NOT a debate. Hasn't been for a long time.

Yes, you can have a view of politics from a religious standpoint. But an elected official, who represents an area with many different beliefs, cannot involve his religion on his constituents. After all, it is "for the people, by the people". That is what I meant by religion in politics.

The people's homes thing? Fine, how about you live your family life by those "rules" and leave everyone else alone? Sound fair? Good! Marriage equality it is then.

I am not about revenge, I am about people finally being able to have a voice if they are not religious compared to the past where they were ostracized, and in some places still, being killed for it. Get used to it, we are growing in number, the last census proved it. Though you are still FAR from being a minority, LOL.

And please don't tell me that "moral influence" came from god or the bible. Elephant herds have morals too, and they are not reading the bible, or following the commandments. Don't start with that.

I'm done Broussard, stay out of Collins' life. Oh, and really learn what a scientific theory actually is. I don't think it means what you think it does. Gravity is just a theory too, huh? Why not jump off your roof and find out?

Reply #416250 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

So he came out as a Christian?

I'm confused..

Reply #416251 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Yeah he did, but the christians say he can't be, as he is gay. God creates gays, hates them.

Reply #416252 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Get a room!

Reply #416255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh no Speed, not you too. Or is it actually Ingles under your username? Please no LOL's and capitalised words. Especially the 'LOL', it's so discrediting.

Reply #416259 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

cliffs for last 10+ posts?

Reply #416260 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Haha, I don't like using it, but the comment I was referring to, literally made me laugh out loud. Sorry, won't do it again.

Reply #416261 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

What can I say? I'm a trendsetter.

Reply #416262 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

cliffs:
kdb: god is real, dislikes gays
speed44: no he isn't, doesn't

Reply #416263 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

lebrons left handed

Reply #416272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles,

As you can see, Speed regrets his decision to use the vocab and style you use. Then you go and boast, saying you're a trendsetter. You reek of imbecility. Mental capacity is void with you, I swear.

Reply #416286 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

The only point I argued kdb is your belief that all opinions should be respected.To have a blanket rule like that is silly. What if someones opinion was that all people under 6 foot tall should be killed?

I dont respect your view that gay people are lesser beings who don't deserve equal rights. There is no reason to respect that.

Finally a question to you. What difference does it make to YOU whether gay people get married? It affects your life in zero ways. It's not like they're asking to fuck you up the ass.

Reply #416287 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

OMG... Is this thread still cooking? Um.......nope, still can't muster up the effort.......lebron is a leftie??!!........naaah, just can't do it to myself!

Reply #416291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, you're being ridiculous. Just say what you want to say ffs. Either way, I don't think people are too fussed. So just say it or stop pissing about.

Reply #416294 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If it was about hoops, I would... This whole topic has gone too far already, in directions that have nothing to do with hoops!

People getting too serious about things like religion and sexuality, I mean really!!!

Nuh, I'm out of this one, too far from what we should be discussing here on these forums IMO...

Reply #416307 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Why? No harm in discussing everyday topics in an online environment.

Reply #416309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, you're being a little too precious mate. Come on.

Reply #416315 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Lol religion

Reply #416322 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It's not so much the diversion into religeon and sexuality as it is the way people are cursing each other and getting worked up into a frenzy about it all.

Not me being precious folks, I care little about religion because it is just another one of those man made discoveries we use as a tool to suit ourselves.

As for the Gay thing, well that's just a chemical imbalance in the brain, X & Y chromosomes fighting each other and not quite getting it right!

Whatch'ya gonna' do... Rudy Gay can relax a bit more now!

Reply #416328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles is being a douche trendy? If so then yes you definitely are a trend setter for sure.

Reply #416351 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

Theres nothing wrong with people being gay, hopefully everyone will see this in a few years.

Reply #416461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope nothing wrong with a person being gay.

On the other hand there is everything wrong with someone being like ingles!

Reply #416617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bump

Reply #761506 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754