Isaac
Years ago

Gibson signs with 36ers for two years

I'm calling it now. Boti sounds confident enough for me.

Topic #31533 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Haha well from the article it does sound likely and should be confirmed soon before his trip if all goes well.

C Johnson/Schenscher
F Petrie/
F Creek/
G
G Gibson/Cadee

Joey has a pretty damn good start list, and considering how badly Marty coached he's probably got reduced expectations. Thinking about last seasons talent, it's astounding we finished last. Absolutely astounding.

Reply #416166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure the plan would be:

C Johnson/Schenscher
F Petrie/
F Import/Creek
G Gibson/
G Import/Cadee

Gibson to play both SG & PG, Johnson C & PF

Reply #416167 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Any chance they'll go with a Cadee & Gibson starting backcourt, and unload some cash on a gun import small forward?

Reply #416174 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I like Gibson but don't we need a SG that can actually shoot.
Not an ok shooter, but someone like Maher, Madgen or Lisch. Someone that when they shoot you expect it to go in, not hope that goes in.

Considering the player market I would guess that it would have to be an import. Hopefully a SGSF to cover both position if required.

Gibson is one of the best PGs in the NBL, but I wouldn't rate him as one of the better shooters.
This is based on what I saw last season.

Go with
PG Gibson Cadee
SG Import Creek Rookie or Daly
SF Weigh or Forman Creek
PF Johnson Petrie
C Luke Petrie Rookie

Reply #416176 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I would like to see.

Schensch 28/Johnson 12
Johnson 20/Petrie 20
Creek 25/ Aussie 15
Gibbo 30/ Cadee 10
Import 30/ Cadee 10

Thats an 8 man rotation which is fine in a 40 minute format. Fill the last 2 spots with some young local talent.

Reply #416177 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Aussiebballer - Gibson's shooting percentages were down last season, presumably due to his injuries and poor coaching/play by his team. The past couple of season (prior to last season) he has been around the 45% FG and 40% 3FG mark. 40% from three would be good for top 5 in the league. Gibbo is a combo guard. His pass mark should be 15ppg, 5rpg and 5apg for mine. Hopefully he can move up to this level being back under Joey.

Reply #416180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Aussiebballer:

I like Gibson but don't we need a SG that can actually shoot.
Not an ok shooter, but someone like Maher, Madgen or Lisch.

Last season:

Lisch: 36.7% 3P
Gibson: 34.5% 3P
Madgen: 30.2% 3P

Didn't think Gibson was too bad last season. One thing that killed us was Cadee's percentage from long range at home. Had lots of chances, but couldn't reliably put them away. And even he was only 0.1% below Madgen.

Reply #416181 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Don't know what it is but when you are watching you just get the feeling that Madgen is a much better shooter.

With Luke, DJ and Petrie we should try to get as many good shooters as possible. To help create space for the bigs inside.

Any chance of getting Lisch?? :)

Reply #416184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac hopefully Cadee can get in some good form with West, he's problem is consistency though, 7-11 against Tigers and 0-5 against Warriors next game.

Reply #416186 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Ayindi Ubaka could play the PG role. Dare say he'd be cheap but still offer good value for money and he is a known comodity in the league. I mean, I'd rather Ubaka than say DeLeon. This way we'd have decent money left to secure a gun import SF/SG......just a thought.

Reply #416187 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Joey connection is pretty strong.

Imagine if basically the team from last year went from bottom to GF.

Reply #416189 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

I actually highly doubt that Joey will recruit Adris DeLeon. It was pretty obvious watching most Blaze games that several of his teammates became frustrated with his selfish style of play. In particular Gibson and Petrie's body language during DeLeon's "showtime game take-overs" were very adament.

"Chewy" Ubaka would be more than servicable as he can shoot, pass, create off the dribble and adds a bit of flair that the team has been lacking. As Jack Toft mentioned his ties with Joey and the Blaze Boys could work in nicely.

Reply #416192 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Dazzman,

I actually wouldn't be devastated with Ubaka as an import PG/SG, especially over DeLeon as you mentioned. If he comes cheap too, all the better. Say we add another cheap import such as a Ron Dorsey, we start to look deep and financially pretty viable.

C Johnson(15)/Schenscher(25)
PF Petrie (25)/ Johnson (15)/ Dowdell (0)
SF Creek (20)/ Dorsey (20)
SG Gibson (25)/ Creek (5)/ Ubaka (10)/ Burdon/Daly (0)
PG Ubaka (15)/ Cadee (15)/ Gibson (10)

A great 3 man big rotation in Johnson, Schenscher and Petrie. Good mix of 3 point shooting and inside scoring with some toughness at training from a cheap Dowdell.

Dorsey and Creek split minutes at the 3. Dorsey may play more as Mitch heals up but when both are at full strength it can be an in-game decision in regards to who plays more.

Another good 3 man guard rotation in Gibson, Ubaka and Cadee. All capable of knocking down the 3. Ubaka can play a bit of 2 when Cadee is running the point as he is probably more of a scoring threat than Gibson and that will help Cadee. Creek gets a couple of minutes at the 2 to throw out a lengthy line up to cause match up issues and to disrupt opposition offence. Burdon/Daly help pressure Cadee. Burdon will be a great threat for deep and Daly is going to force Cadee to work to keep his minutes.

I really like that 10 man roster and that 8 man rotation. I think its a team that is affordable and one that can definitely compete.

Reply #416196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just dreaming, but can you imagine Kevin Lisch alongside Gibson. Oh my.

Reply #416202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Massingale. Does he have his Aussie citizenship yet?

Reply #416203 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

AK-47 I think you've pretty much nailed it right there. Maybe not Dorsey, however Dorsey and Ubaka took cairns to the Finals.

Lisch would be great but doubt it will happen. As for Massingale, I think the 36ers have burnt him and lets face it you'd rather Ubaka/Lisch over him anyday of the week.

Reply #416210 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Not really a fan of Ubaka, I'd prefer Deleon if he came in playing more team orientated.

Is Forman a FA? He'd definitely help but I doubt he'd leave his role with hawks. Any inside info Isaac?

Like many have said, a dynamic and athletic import wing with a solid import combo guard is my preference. Too bad a dynamic import wing will only come at a hefty price.

Reply #416211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the look of that team AK47, fairly realistic with caps aswell as Dorsey and Ubaka would be affordable imports, both proven to be decent, while not studs, whilst not being Cedric Jackson level, but with alot of cash presumably put into the Aussie talent we possibly cant afford a Cedric Jackson level unless we have a 2nd import on min salary or something.

Reply #416213 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I like your lineup AK-47.

A starting lineup of:

Johnson
Petrie
Dorsey
Ubaka
Gibson

That would be a really nice 5 right there. Add Wright as the coach and you can play an up-tempo style as all 5 guys can really get up and down the court.

I wouldn't want to see Cadee and Gibson as the 36ers starting backcourt.

It just won't get it done. There isn't enough scoring there..This team needs perimeter scoring.
Plus, I don't think Cadee is ready to start yet IMO. And you don't want two PG's running the 1 and 2 spots do you?

Reply #416216 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

The perceived difference between Lisch and Madgen and Gibbo and Cadee's form from range might have more to do with when they hit the three ball and the fact everyone in the building knew the defence plan was to prevent Madge and Lisch getting a shot off.

Do people rate Malcolm Grant as a possibility? I'd be happy to see him in a Sixer's singlet and running the point, especially if we have a strong import wingman.

Reply #416219 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Guess we'll all find out exactly what's what in the next few weeks.

I just have question marks pop up every time I read Creek's name. I like his style, but wonder how much we'll get from him in the first season back from a major injury that could well have reduced his athleticism and must impact his confidence, at least in the short to mid-term.

For me that highlights the need for a crack SF - probably an import - who can get to the hoop whenever necessary.

Reply #416225 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Send a no obligation invite to Diamon Simpson with an 'NBA Out Clause'. Make an offer.

Reply #416235 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

We don't really need a big man though Champ, not with Schenscher, Johnson and Petrie.

Reply #416239 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

That's probably true and doubt he'd join anyway given his recent overseas success + bigger pay checks.

Reply #416257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team is a start but it really depends on the imports

These guys have shown they arent enough to win

Reply #416265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really positive stuff from the club atm. Well done.

I would just look to keep Weigh and bring in an import combo guard.

Reply #416274 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I dont know why everyone wants to recycle imports. Look outside of the country and find that hidden little gem you can get cheap and that will match it with the best. Why bring in someone who is a mediocre import just because they have already played in the league.

Reply #416278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree that the core that we would have (if we retain Gibson) wouldn't be enough to win. It will be different with a coach that can actually coach. Imports aren't the be all, end all.

Reply #416279 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

wonder if joey will keep pero on for another season as he had him at the blaze so mustve liked him

Reply #416280 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Skud we already tried to find that "cheap little gem" as you call it and we got Christopherson. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

I'd rather go with someone you know rather than a unknown. You get the unknown import wrong and all of a sudden your replacing them during the season which ends up costing more.

Reply #416283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I'm Adelaide, I don't like the idea of an import combo guard. Too many Pepole trying to run the team then. Cadee would get discouraged as his on-court leadership role would diminish further with a new guy helping to run the show. Wouldn't go down well with him. Want to keep him happy considering he's probably the biggest piece to the club's future. Gibson starts at PG, import SG then get Cadee coming off the bench at PG. You need Cadee with the ball in his hands anyway to push the pace. That's where Adelaide looked dangerous last season, as I was saying throughout.
I'm backing cadee to step up this year anyway.

Reply #416288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I'm Adelaide I would invest strongly in the 2 guard and try and get either Lisch or Devendorf and go cheaper at the 3 with a diamond in the rough

Reply #416290 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Joey seems to talk up Weigh on Boti's personal website article. Bit more info there if anyone has not seen it. Possibly still an option it seems to imply.

Reply #416293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Different subject, but Leaon Henry for one of the remaining fill in spots? Only problem is that he plays the 3 (I think). Good shooter.

Reply #416299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen pre shoulder injury = 44% three points.
Madgen post shoulder injury = 22% three points.

Reply #416313 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would not call Leon Henry a good shooter.

Reply #416314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Henry is nothing special at all. Being on the Breakers probably made him look better than he is.

Reply #416316 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Yes, pretty obvious that shpulder injury's impact on Madgen's shooting, but had some good games right at the end of the season.

Reply #416317 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Leon Henry might be the worst player on the best team but he's not the worst player in the league by a long shot.

he may not even look for an NBL spot, his wife is a music artist with a recording contract in the States.

Reply #416324 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At the Breakers, Henry was 7th in 3P%, 11th in FG% and 12th in FT%. This is just within his own roster. He shot more poorly from even the free throw line than almost everyone else shot from the field.

You can talk up his energy and maybe defense, but I wouldn't rush to call him a good shooter! Then again, maybe his shooting percentages would be attractive to the Wildcats...

Reply #416326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signed 2 yrs

Reply #416469 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Yep, it's official Adam Gibson has committed for 2 more season with the 36ers.

I really hope the coaches were infact the issue because so far JC is the only out to the squad that came last.

Reply #416474 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Oops obviously meant SC.

Reply #416478 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Christopherson and Crosswell are out, latter retired.

Reply #416480 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yes, I dont think I will ever forget Christopherson. The guy was a social basketball bench player thrown into a pro league. One of the biggest mistakes marty ever made. Lets look at getting Ryan Broekhoff and a gun import or 2. after that sign what ever 10th man dud you want.

Reply #416488 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Amazing thing about Christopherson is he was All-Big 12 Third-Team, that's a decent conference, and yet he just couldnt make any impact in the NBL and made very little in the VTB United. Just not built/ready to play against men I guess.

Reply #416493 | Report this post

Grovermi$ ter  
Years ago

Curious where its been reported that gibbo has resigned?
Like the report in the paper today about port powers change of fortunes and it being due to 4 people at the club... think petrie for captain would be better than gibbo.... dean parker bleds 6ers and now a coach whom fills the need and all will fall into place...

Reply #416497 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

I'm not surprised that Wright is talking up Weigh. If Brisbane hadn't folded Weigh would never have played for the Wildcats as he signed with Joey's Brisbane team.

Reply #416498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any confirmation on Gibson re-signing?

Reply #416501 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac I forgot the departure of Crosswell. So if we've lost SC and Crosswell then surely we have to release Weigh? If Weigh re-signs then we can only go with one import as there's no way we can secure 2 imports on SC and Crosswell's salary. Unless our current players have taken a pay cut....highly unlikely.

Reply #416508 | Report this post

KracKa BballiN'  
Years ago

Is this officially official?

Not reported anywhere besides here, not that i dont trust ya issac...im jus gettin pretty pumped bout next season already.

Reply #416512 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, I think it would be import + Weigh or two imports. Unlikely to happy otherwise given salaries and points cap.

e.g., We're at 54 with one import and Gibson. Can't even fit just Weigh and another import with the remainder, let alone the remainder of the roster.

Does sound like Wright is big on Weigh and would be aiming to keep him. Leaves a second import spot as insurance for injuries.

---

It's not official but pretty commonly known by now. Cadee tweeted about it and has since deleted his tweet. I guess the club will announce it tomorrow or early next week?

Reply #416513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge deal if its true. People underestimate the impact he has just because sometimes he doesn't shoot well. Honestly, I think the team that we had at the start(emphasize start) of last season could be a contender with a new coach.

Reply #416514 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

If Joey can lock up Weigh then I guess we're going with an import PG.

If that's the case then Cadee would move to the back-up PG spot. Begs the question as to who rounds out our guard stocks. Was thinking Daly or Burdon but both are more PG than SG.

Reply #416516 | Report this post

KracKa BballiN'  
Years ago

Thanks issac.

Nice, very nice...

Wasnt overlly thrilled with gibbo last yr, but we all know the quality of player he is. I think bein back with a coach he wants to play for, we'll all get to see that player a lot more often.

Hopefully havin joey gets cadee outta the form he had at home games.

Cannot wait till season starts...

Reply #416518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has not signed yet.

Everyone hold their horses

Reply #416523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assuming he HAS signed, where are we at now with points from the 6 we have signed? Is this list correct, cos surely that changes things?

http://nblclubstatic.s3.amazonaws.com/2012-2013%20Player%20Points%20Sheet1.pdf

Reply #416533 | Report this post

Bball fan  
Years ago

Bad luck Adelaide fans!

Reply #416562 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You beautay! Good to see Gibbo back

Reply #416566 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Making Gleeson's future coaching gig much easier with that signing.

Reply #416573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gibson's agent has texted me that he has not signed with Adelaide. I'm not buying it and think that's just a technicality and he has a verbal or they're waiting on league approval. Belly, I ain't buying it!

Reply #416575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac. Gibson's on the way to the US for a holiday, doubt he'd have taken holidays without providing management with a yes or no. And Cadee's backtracking tweet didn't really help - pretty funny retraction.

Reply #416577 | Report this post

Gnome  
Years ago

Everybody seems to be assuming that Weigh will play the same way under Wright as he did under Clarke.
I would be prepared to take our new Coach's judgement in Weigh's usefulness to the team.At least until he proves otherwise!

Reply #416578 | Report this post

Dief  
Years ago

Gibsons signing is reported OntheFoul.net

Reply #416579 | Report this post

Gnome  
Years ago

P.S. Actually I mean everybody who played under Clarke!
I think they all should be given the benefit of thee doubt under Wright!!

Reply #416580 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Weighs alright but id ditch hgim for 2 imports. please no dorsey or ubaka...

Reply #416592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson has not signed

Reply #416593 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Dief - "Gibsons signing is reported OntheFoul.net"

That says something of the report's credibility...

Reply #416595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ATF? Pfff I'll wait until it's on The Tiser's website/Boti's blog/36ers press release first.

Until then just a rumour, I lost count of how many people insisted on here that Maher was getting the 36ers coaching job.

Reply #416600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha - The Sixers would have a commitment and will now be able to stage manage the announcement to gain the most press mileage possible and hopefully use the good press to push season ticket sales.

The only thing that may stop Gibbo playing would be the Crocs not getting accross the line and the whole NBL falling over.

Reply #416629 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754