Relative No-one
Years ago

SA Junior Championships

SA State Champs this weekend - who's travelling well, what teams are coming over to Adelaide, what teams to look out for.

Topic #31535 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

After struggling in summer Eastern in U16 men are booming!!!

Eastern looking good in most boys age groups!

Reply #416292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really, how are their 18 boys doing???

Reply #416297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We're:

top in u12 boys
3rd in u14 boys
top in u16s
3rd in u18s

Reply #416298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After 4 games.

How did you go after playing everyone at least once over summer?

Reply #416301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and there are other undefeated teams in those grades...Including the entire summer season!

Reply #416302 | Report this post

hand on it  
Years ago

U/16 boys Mavs are nothing special at all
But that's ok Pump yourselves up but just get ready for the big thud when you come back down to earth

kkk :)

Reply #416304 | Report this post

Years ago

my tips -

state girls - eagles

reserve girls - eagles

state boys -sturt

reserve boys - sturt

overall eagles

Reply #416310 | Report this post

Years ago

going to rain saturday and 25 degrees - so i hope maintenance has been sorted

Reply #416311 | Report this post

Years ago

mavs will go close in state girls as well

Reply #416312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagles girls better score a lot if they're going to win because I can't see their boys providing much help. Maybe sneak a point in 18 boys but that would be it.

Reply #416318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagles may have a legitimate crack at the Girls state/reserve, but I'm resigned to the overwhelming likelihood of Sturt sweeping the lot (unfortunately).

Reply #416319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mavs 16 girls strong

Reply #416320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I copped a shitter of a draw.
Drawn in a group with the best team in our division, and have to travel to Morphett Vale 3 times over the weekend.

Reply #416321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anything can happen in state champs. Just need one or two things to go wrong and it changes every thing. Even the draw can play a part!

Reply #416348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt will win 12 girls, 14 girls and 16 girls. Fville or Eastern probably 18 girls but it's pretty wide open, Sturt could win that too now their at full strength.

Sturt will win 12 boys, 16 boys and 18 Boys. Centrals will win 14 Boys.

Sturt will win Reserve Boys in a landslide, Reserve Girls closely followed by Forestville.

Sturt will win both Club Trophies.

Sturt will fail to make 14 Boys Nationals for the third year running though, that has to be an issue for the Club.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Reply #416359 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

why bother turning up..?

seems that Sturt parents think Sturt will virtually win the lot..

who said Sturt weren't arrogant?

Reply #416365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some very confident predictions in some very iffy grades there!

Wouldn't be so sure about 12 boys or even 18 boys - has this group ever won a state champs?

And I think some of those girls grades are 50/50. Wouldn't take much for the results to tip the other way.

Agreed about their U14 boys though - why did they give that group to the young coach? Seems like they have gone backwards the past 9 months.

Reply #416366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals possibly to make U14 nationals 2 yrs in a row at u14 level. Who would have thought????

Demonstrates to clubs that putting your resources into U12 and U14 pays off in future years.

Reply #416371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt girls will have to play better in 16 girls than they did last Friday night against Mavs to finish first. Not that the score is up on the BSA website yet from Friday night. Only one thats not,..

Reply #416374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has come within 20 points of Sturt in a number of those grades. How is that iffy?

It's not arrogance when it's backed up with results.

Reply #416375 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think it's a bit of a forgone conclusion that Forestville will dominate the girls in both the State and reserves. There will be pockets of resistance in the state, but there could be a few Gold v Blue finals in the reserves. Having said that, there is always one or two teams who have a blinder and surprise everyone. The rankings are generally on the money, but there are always a couple of teams where people say WTF? Getting a first game win is always the key to success.

The boys State is always exciting and a bit more even. Sturt should take out 12, 16, 18, with Centrals taking the 14's. I think each GF will see a mix of clubs represented. The boys Reserve could see a lot of Sturt 1 v Sturt 2 GF's based on the depth at the club. Once again, there should be a lot of different clubs at the SF level. Norwood boys are the dark horses for me, but there are still a lot of good individual teams in the boys and all they need is a lucky break to be right up there.

Good luck to all teams playing. Play well, play hard, play fair.

Reply #416377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 girls Sturt v Forestville, Eastern or Southern

14 girls Sturt v Forestville, West or Eastern

16 girls Sturt v Eastern

18 girls open slather

12 girls res Sturt v Forestville

14 girls res Sturt v Forestville

16 girls res Sturt v Forestville

18 girls res Sturt v Forestville

Jack you need to catch up mate. Forestville girls aren't the program they've been the past 2/3 years.

And Sturt have got better.

Reply #416390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all it takes is a case of gastro to go through a team and game over

Reply #416395 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

can someone please take laptops away from bleating Sturt parents until after the Champs are done?

such bold predictions are bound to come unstuck and just make you look stupid

Reply #416396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

390.. Maybe I reading this wrong, but I think your argument on Forestville not being a dominate force is all in the way you have written coincidently Sturt first, before Forestville on your list.. I am not a Forestville person, but to someone from another club the word forestville is pretty dominate on your own list???...lol
Unless this is who you believe to be the already winning teams, and that Mr or Mrs Sturt is a bit over confident.
you know what they say though. It aint over till the Fat lady sings. All teams have a chance... Then some may have to eat humble pie.
Either way, good luck to all teams on the weekend.

Reply #416398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all relative.

In my opinion Forestville won't win any of the Reserve titles. in the Girls.

Just my opinion though.

Reply #416401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18 girls will be hard

Reply #416408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bearcats for under 18 girls,by a country mile.

Reply #416440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With forestvilles rapid decline on the boys side, similar to norths and norwoods a few years ago, and clubs like woodville, centrals, eastern and southern getting their act together in some age groups looks like the closest boys comp in years. Albeit sturt will win most age groups, u14s being the exception.

Reply #416446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt do not get better...they just take the better players from other clubs!!!!!

Reply #416510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah right, bearcats 18 girls couldn't even beat centrals this season

Reply #416517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

then towelled em by close to 20 when they gave them due respect..

Reply #416527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some wild results tonight. Does this change anyone's predictions?

Reply #416599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What were the wild results?

Reply #416616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a question.

I have noticed that the "big" clubs have in some cases entered a 3rd team in age groups, and they are not competitive, is this to increase the clubs chance of winning the club state champions title? Is the title worked out on a point system for participation as well?
These additional teams do not play in the relevant division during the season. They have only been added for this championship?

If it is the case I would think that this is taking pure advantage by using their vast numbers pool.

Thanks

Reply #416627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't count for points. There are no points awarded for participation. It's purely used as an extra tournament for those guys. In some cases they are quite competitive (shows BSA's ignorance in only allowing 1 team per division in 1 & 2s) and in other cases they are making up the numbers.

Reply #416628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only allowing 1 team in div 1 and div 2?

must be special exemptions granted then as there are more than 1 team from the "big clubs" in these divisions.

Thanks for your answer and clarification.

Reply #416631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#628 no actually it showcases the stupidity of parents who stay at the "Big" clubs and play Division 3 when they probably could play Division 2 or even 1 at another.

Reply #416636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The little club's parents love it. Their kids get the benefit of tougher competition, better coaching and more exposure at div 1 level.

Reply #416638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I should say, in younger age groups. They seem more liberal in allowing U16 & U18 double div 2 teams, but not in the younger groups.

Reply #416649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No they dont get better coaching. Just a competition where they lose by large margins some weeks.

Every other State in the cuntry has a graded competition where teams do not have a guarenteed spot in the competition.

And we wonder why our elite teams are uncompetitive???

Reply #416651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u14 allow it but only accept from the big clubs will not accept 2 teams in 1 div from the smaller clubs.

Funny how it works, not what you know but who I guess.....?

Reply #416653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#651 no they don't.

And those that do have far tougher poaching rules then BSA does.

And a wider spread of Association locations.

And Associations with their own local competitions not little Clubs playing in an 'elite' Competition.

Adelaide basketball is different from the rest of the Country in every way.

Reply #416655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no one can have 2 teams in Div 1...

the second team in div 2 is by grading according to results, not club size...

Reply #416656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #416655

No they dont have 'poaching rules'. State and NITP players are free to move clubs in all states.

If Southern - Centrals - Port Adelaide - Mt Barker isnt large, your kidding yourself. All associations in Melbourne have othe associations closer than even the Sturt/Forestgville/South size. Knox and Kylsith are only 10-15 minutes away from each other.

Yes agree, another thing that BSA has got wrong. All clubs should have domsetic comeptitions.

Adelaide is only different because people dont want change so they can hold onto an outdated philosophy rather than a competitive development based system.

Reply #416658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok proven example current

a smaller club has a div 1 team and wants also to have 2 div 2 teams as they are strong and too good for div3. Was knocked back and club was told not allowed for your club. Therefore current situation both div 1 and 2 have 10 kids and some have been told sorry we cannot accommodate you so lost to bball.

However club also told that the large clubs are allowed due to their pool of players. Consequently these big club teams are hardly competitive in this division.

Strange rule and an inconsistent ruling I think

Reply #416662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simply not true.

The only clubs to nominate 2 div 2 teams were Sturt, Norwood and Forestville.

A blatant lie.

Reply #416666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are you sure? above

you might want to go check your notes/emails/phone conversations before you accuse someone or club of a blatant lie! You might have memory relapse or misplaced something perhaps.

Reply #416670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also maybe club did not nominate as they were told it couldn't!

Reply #416671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack - Sturt have done a massive amount of recruiting over the past year (more so than usual). Sturt will compete for the title in just about every age and grade for boys and girls. By numbers alone they should take out boys and girls, state and reserve.

A tad behind the times: don't expect any Eagles Blue v Gold at all in the girls this year.

Reply #416673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#666 before accusing others of lying you may want to check your nomination paperwork from BSA

Reply #416675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

results for U16 boys last night. Sturt nearly lost to Centrals, 1 point in the end. I think some questionable decisions from the ref's got them over the line in the end. At one stage the sturt bench seemed to be making the calls!

Reply #416676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gold old sturt intimidation and refs who are fearful of such

Reply #416677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah watched the game. Game winning shot was on a clear travel too. One of many that Sturt got away with, not to mention the amount of reaching in on transition defense.

Guess thats why theyre Sturt. No ones allowed to beat them

Reply #416680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, checked the nominations. Only Sturt, Norwood and Forestville nominated.

Feel free to enlighten us all.

Or can you not cover up your blatant lies!!!

Reply #416685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

refer to 671 champ

Reply #416687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did you look under F for file or F for Forget or N for nominations then that file said refer to the F file?

Reply #416690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you are saying Centrals should have won the game?

Good to see Centrals pushing Sturt in U16 boys now too.

I was there, watching another game mostly, but watched most of the 2nd half of the centrals v sturt game, and the guy reffing seemd like a descent bloke. The other ref was a pretty poor communicator with the crowd, coaches and players. We need refs and they are important and all but they sometimes need to chillout.

Reply #416708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now back to the actual basketball.
18 girls definately the one to watch. Going to be hard fought between Forestville Mav's Bearcats and North. Maybe even Norwood if the Supercoach has a good tourney and his girls play for him for a change.

Reply #416711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #416687,

there is not a chance of BSA telling a club that only those 3 clubs can nominate a second team...

ie...if it did happen and was referred to a commission level, head would role...

feel free to enlighten us with a grade where a non sturt/norwood/forestville team would be able to qualify 2 teams into div 2?

Reply #416741 | Report this post

KKK  
Years ago

Just noticed that Adelaide Hills have games on for State Champs !
How can you play games of this calibre on that horrible court 2 which is bad enough to play on in its own right but just to cap it off doesn't have a shot clock.

Reply #416780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you can play games on Court 2 at the Arena with benches on the baseline, Courts at Hillcrest, Small courts at Port Adelaide, Deadspot courts at Marion.... whats the difference between them and Mt. Barker?

Reply #416784 | Report this post

KKK  
Years ago

I hear ya
I was going to mention undersized courts at the port but thought I would go easy LOL

Reply #416787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball stadiums will never attract enough revenue per se to make them wortwhile taking into account capital costs and depreciation.

Partner with schools and setup a US HS type system. Milk schools for their facilities and resources and help the schools build basketball programs which attract new enrolments, generate a strong culture in the school. Kids/parents are attracted to schools with strong sporting programs and links to pathways.

Likewise with local councils.

Think; partnerships, leverage those partnerships and likewise provide the partners with commercial and/or social benefits.

Reply #416788 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Yep, school courts should be used more often, but how many schools have a decent 2 or 3 court stadium good enough for a club to use (canteen are, changerooms, spectator area)?

Reply #416790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STARplex is 100% owned by a school (Trinity).
At least 5 other schools have at least 2 court stadiums far superior to hilcrest, mt barker etc

Reply #416791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was going to mention you sound like a moron but I thought I'd go easy on you too!!

Reply #416796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Inlges13

You mean like Westminster, Immanuel, Walford, Heathfield.....

Please just once write something intelligent...

Reply #416798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Basketball went to schools and said here is a guaranteed $100K revenue a year for games, trainings etc. etc.

PLUS we will help you setup domestic comps PLUS you can run holiday camps they might be interested in building bigger venues.

This is going to be a good proposition but when you throw in the potential enrollments - maybe 10 - 15 additional new enrollments per year the return on investment begins to get significant.

Then tell; them by the way we will work in conjunction with your program to ensure consistencies between the school and district club program, plus we will be a banner for you in the community and give your school/basketball program exposure externally too. Schools would be interested for the commercial and social benefits to them and their community.

Reply #416799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

St Peters...

Reply #416800 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Wait: I wrote a question asking how many could be used. I don't see how asking people about other school stadiums who are for this idea is something unintelligent?

Anon's gonna anon

Reply #416801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About as unintelligable as your grammer Ingles13

Reply #416802 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Grammer lol

Reply #416803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously ingles how old are you? Who uses LOL????

Reply #416805 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Anon's gonna anon

Reply #416807 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

"Grammer"

Reply #416808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Irony Inlges13

Reply #416813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes we get it should be grammar he got it wrong big deal.

I've proven you wrong about NBA stuff on here on numerous times but don't go on like you do.

Do you ever wake up and wonder how it would feel to be liked?

Reply #416818 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

"Proven you wrong"

That was funny the first time you said it

Reply #416821 | Report this post

Dingle Berry  
Years ago

Or Proven your a 'no idea hack' might be closer

Reply #416823 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

You're*

Wouldn't expect much more from a Kobe stan.

Reply #416824 | Report this post

Fleagle  
Years ago

My Grammers about sevty tree year old now

Reply #416825 | Report this post

Eagle has landed  
Years ago

Good to see the West u18 girls choke again to Mav

Reply #416890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure that was a "tactical" loss by the West 18 girls hahaha NOT

Reply #416905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles you are a dumb sht. Proven wrong is correct grammar. You don't need you're. If you weren't a brained dead moron you'd know that.

Reply #416912 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

No I was laughing as all you've proven is that you're an emotional kid that gets butthurt when someone doesn't praise your god as high as you do. Add to the fact you're a terrible troll and I don't understand how you haven't been IP banned yet

Reply #416913 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

673, Sturt have no reason not be represented in all grand finals and if they do not have a team in all GFs they should consider that a failure. Their style of play is very effective in ensuring wins.

Defensively, they always place great pressure on the ball carrier in the back court. They actively try to steal the ball by reaching in. A smart opposition coach should be able to exploit this and get a reaching foul every time and aim get their team to the FT line by halfway through the quarter. If an opposing coach can't get Sturt into foul trouble they're not really trying. (unfortunately a lot a refs don't call reaching fouls against Sturt so you really need to overplay the reach to stand any chance of getting a fair call)

Defensively, Sturt hate ball penetrations into their key. Tommy Waterhouse won't give odds on getting fouled. They also hate opposition fast breaks so expect the grab, but once again, it needs to be overplayed as grabbing from behind should be an unsportsmanlike foul in some cases.

Offensively, Sturt usually have a very good transition game and move the ball from one end to another quickly. Their static offences are pretty simple, but usually rely on getting an extra pass off to the weak side after the help D has made an error.

Next time punters are at a stadium, just watch the magic of Sturt play.

OK, so I have lit the fuse, let's wait for the anons to slag me off!

Reply #416918 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

But Jack Toft you are right. It's amazing the amount of missed calls that go on sturt defenders when the exact same thing happens down the other end but is called a foul.

Reply #416919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs are intimidated, like the sturt players by the overaggressive sturt coaches with no self control.

Reply #416920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please all you should have seen the refs in the West v Mavs, West got hammered

Reply #416921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Eagle....i mean Daffy Duck was obviously there. They said it wasnt the refs but West choked.

Reply #416926 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ingles13, there are too many missed calls because refs do get intimidated.

To make it easy for the refs, the trick is simple. Ball carrier is bringing the ball out of the backcourt, and the Sturt guard is doing the right thing slowing them down and jabbing their hand in every so often. The help comes over and usually moving FAST. Now, the ball carrier could make contact with their guard, but a flop could give some doubt and a dumb ref could call a charge. Therefore, the ball carrier needs to make sure the contact is made with the help guard instead. They have no excuse and their momentum means that they are unable to set themselves in a stationary position. A blocking foul should be the call.

Reply #416928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the mighty West 18 girls fell to the almighty Sturt- bye bye classics

Reply #416945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals u16 boys and Norwood u16 girls both looking likely to make classics. Both would have been a long shot before the weekend.

Reply #416954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Central's 12 boys going to classics!!!!!!!

What tha!?!?!??!

Reply #416955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals 14 Boys a possibility to miss Classics if they lose to form-team Eastern tonight and the percentages don't go their way.

Reply #416973 | Report this post

Dirty Sturty  
Years ago

Oh my god.

I hope no-one reads hoops. Jack has worked us out.

Its all over...

Reply #416974 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

... sorry mate.....

Sturt will need to work out another way to win. Ever tried sharks with lasers?

Reply #416975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

centrals won

Reply #416981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won what? Centrals haven't won a thing yet.

Reply #416983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the game mentioned about. Centrals beat Eastern to make Semis.

Reply #416984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not only won but destroyed eastern about 70 odd to 30

Reply #416985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats going on at West only 1 girls team to make finals-14/2.

Reply #416986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern form team? Centrals didn't lose s game in summer, so far in winter and in state champs.

How are they not form team????

Reply #416987 | Report this post

Eagle has landed  
Years ago

Its a bit quiet on the bearcat front today, all reports the 18 girls got out muscled by North last night.

Reply #417008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some surprising results so far.

Centrals boys looking alright, with u12, u14 and u16 all heading to classics. Bit of a surprise.

Also Norwood girls, u14, u16 and u18 all making top 4.

Reply #417009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should add...not surprised that centrals 14 Boys are going, just making the point that with the three of them going it shows they are in pretty good shape!

Reply #417011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westies under U18 girls bottom of the pool. How has the development of this group been over the years???

Reply #417012 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

In the State Group SF's

U12B: Sturt-Mavs; Lions-Tigers
U14B: Sturt-Mavs; Lions-Panthers
U16B: Sturt-Tigers; Lions-West
U18B: Sturt-West; Eagles-Norwood

U12G: Eagles-Mavs; Sturt-Tigers
U14G: Eagles-Sturt; Norwood-Mavs
U16G: Eagles-Mavs; Norwood-Sturt
U18G: Eagles-Mavs; Norwood-North

Well done to all those teams.
Sturt in 7/8
Mavs in 6/8
Eagles in 5/8
Norwood in 4/8
Lions in 3/8
Tigers in 3/8

Reply #417013 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

Getting rid of Corey from West was the best thing to happen to Woodville

Reply #417021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any big omissions?

Woodville u12 boys
West u18 girls
Norwood u16 boys

All would have expected to be there.

Reply #417023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any reason why ghe West girls failed to win a game

Reply #417026 | Report this post

Me......3  
Years ago

U12 boys reserves grand final. South v Sturt 2.

Reply #417030 | Report this post

¿  
Years ago

Eastern will go close to winning state

Reply #417038 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Winners:

U12B State - Sturt
U12B Reserve - South Adelaide

U14B State - Centrals
U14B Reserve - Sturt

U16B State - Sturt
U16B Reserve - Sturt

U12G State - Forestville
U12G Reserve - Sturt

U14G State - Forestville
U14G Reserve - Forestville

U16G State - Sturt
U16G Reserve - Sturt

U18s - TBD

Reply #417079 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Jack - "I think it's a bit of a forgone conclusion that Forestville will dominate the girls in both the State and reserves. There will be pockets of resistance in the state, but there could be a few Gold v Blue finals in the reserves."

2/4 for Forestville's state girls, and neither win was a 'forgone conclusion'. Granted, at the start of summer Forestville would've been expecting to at least make the GF for U12-18G. No Blue vs Gold finals in the reserves either.

Reply #417080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt U18 girls miss classics - draw to a team of basically first year players and an U 16 player cost them!!

Perhaps Mr Wong and Mr Mesecke take the wrong girl!

Reply #417082 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

@PlaymakerMo It seems Forestville have choked big time. It's disappointing not to see any Blue v Gold GF's. How can this happen?

Nice to see a South Adelaide team get a flag. Toby Lockwood seems to have U14 Boys State stitched up like a drum - going for three in a row next year. Has he had an offer from the Dark Side yet?

Reply #417096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#417100 - so you heard Neil tell a player to go to another club? or you're just taking pot shots...

And let me get this straight, you saw the State Coaching director talk to a club coaching director from one club and a player from another club? wow, who would have thought...

If clubs are dumb enough to ban their players from NITP and more than likely better coaching then they are being negligent.

ignorance is bliss I guess.

Reply #417109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure I could get enough clubs to boycott this program and put together a better more focussed effort. Maybe even have a go at an interstate person to be a consultant to this group. If BSA are going to let this poor excuse for an elite program to continue then we as clubs are then being negligent in allowing it to happen

Reply #417121 | Report this post

Vader  
Years ago

Order has been restord....

There is balance in the force once more...

Reply #417123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so you can lip read I guess?

I think its pretty obvious that you are another parent who's:

a) kid wasnt invited out to NITP who thought they were better than what they were

OR

b) kid didnt make a state team and thought they were better than what they were

either way you need to let it go. its not healthy for your kids.

Reply #417127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

121, I think some clubs inadvertently boycott the sport's high performance pathways with incompetent coaching, overseen by clueless people on committees like yourself.

Reply #417129 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

I thought this was about SA Junior Championships...!!!

Can anyone tell me now who won what in the GFs, and overall state and reserves club winners etc?

Reply #417130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go up a few posts champ...all the answers are there..

Reply #417131 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Jack - Yeah, I'm not biting.

Reply #417137 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

Rock,

This forum isnt about who wins or loses........

This forum is about who has a beef with someone/something that has upset them.

Most of these posters are kids or parents (mostly of losing teams)

i do miss going down to bball haha

Reply #417150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very keen to see the state champs positions if anyone's worked them out.

Reply #417153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my opinion, which doesn't stand for much, I believe that the way the pools are drawn, if that you can get a surprise win here and there, you can miraculously make the Semi's..........
How the hell did Centrals Under 12 boys make Classics??? Woooooooow

Reply #417154 | Report this post

Statsman  
Years ago

State Boys Results:

Club, Seed, Finish, Difference

Southern: Ave seed 6.5, Actual finish 4.5, 2 positions better
Centrals: 6.25, 4.75, 1.5 better
Mavs: 5.5, 4.75, 0.75 better
Flames: 5.75, 6.00, 0.25 worse
West: 6.00, 6.25, 0.25 worse
Forestville: 6.00, 6.50, 0.50 worse
Sturt: 1.25, 1.75, 0.50 worse
South: 6.25, 7.00, 0.75 worse
North: 5.75, 6.75, 1.00 worse
Woodville: 5.75, 6.75, 1.00 worse

Handicap winners: Southern

Reply #417157 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

from what i can work out

state boys - sturt
reserve boys - sturt

reserve girls - sturt
state girls - forestville

overall sturt

reserves - sturt

eastern very tough not to take out state girls as with sturt - 1 or 2 games results sealed it for forestville over those 2

sturt in a canter over the other 3 grades

Reply #417158 | Report this post

BRAVO ZULU  
Years ago

Well.....congratulations to all the kids at Sturt; and well done to the Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Parents, Club Admin, JDO, Committee and President.

What a fantastic result to take out all bar one of the Trophies in State Champs 2013. From what I see, a dominant club that has had enduring success over many seasons.

Congratulations on a job well done.

Reply #417160 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

from what i have worked out -

state boys -

sturt
centrals
west / eastern / tigers all =
forestville
south

reserve boys -
sturt
norwood
south
forestville
tigers
naracoorte
west / eastern =

state girls

forestville
eastern
sturt
norwood
north
tigers

reserve girls

sturt
forestville
norwood / eastern =
north / western =
tigers / west / south =

Reply #417168 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

only real close group was state girls -

forestville improved on their summer results by winning and pulling through when the going was tough

eastern probably maxed out - winning just about all they were up for and very stiff not to take it out - 18s excelling and reflecting recent state games conditioning

sturt down on summer results - losing a couple of close games that cost them in the long run - u18s awol but comp is very even

at the end it was really in the balance sunday morning

Reply #417172 | Report this post

Years ago

wrong

Reply #417178 | Report this post

Years ago

your comment is wrong beef

Reply #417179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Gottabeef,

That wouldbe a good story exceot that Norwood and Forestville have more kids move there than Sturt do.

Reply #417196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha jack when you say dark side, do you mean will Toby Lockwood move to Sturt?

Reply #417198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the under 18 girls state pool B was a hard pool
ANYONE could of been 0-3

Reply #417201 | Report this post

eagle rock  
Years ago

Do a quick look through teams and you see Sturt have highest recruiting levels - Club developement or recruitment to success - Eagles Rock speaks.
Success either way - Well Done Sturt - you set the standard we aspire to

Reply #417205 | Report this post

Statsman  
Years ago

Boys Reserve (U12 to U18) Teams Handicap

South 1 - Ave Seed 8.75, achieved 5.25 (-3.5)
South 2 - Ave seed 14.33, got 11.67 (-2.67)
Norwood (5 teams) Ave seed 6.6, got 4,8 (-1.8)
North White - seeded 13.5, got 12.5 (-1)
Sturt 2 - Ave seed 6.75, got 6 (-1.75)
Southern - Ave seed 7.5, got 6.75 (-0.75)
Forestville (7 teams) 6.71, 7.00 (+0.29)
(Blue were -0.33, Gold were +0.33, Eagles +2.0)
Centrals - ave seed 8.25, got 9.25 (+1.0)
Mavs - ave seed 7.33, got 8.67 (+1.33)
West - ave seed 7.5, got 9.25 (+1.75)
Sturt 1 - ave seed 1.5, got 3.5 (+2.0)
Woodville - ave 7.75, got 10.75 (+3.0)
North Red - ave seed 5.25, got 8.25 (+3.5)

South 1 Boys Reserves Handicap Winners

Reply #417209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, do a check through the BSA transfers.

You will see tat Norwood and Forestville have more players transfer in.

Reply #417210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statman, your stats are crazy, oddball stuff man. What are you trying to demonstrate, what is your hypothesis? These make me smile.

Reply #417217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statman, you are a handicap winner in my book :)

Reply #417220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#129 - Can you remind me how well SA is going against other states under the ageless gurus heading up the elite programs!! I will make it easy for you and you can compare them with say Tasmania - the minnows of Australia who surely can't have any decent basketballers down there.

By what ever KPI's you want to use this program is spluttering at best. The only clueless people on committees are people like you who think that if we keep doing the same thing we will get better. No wonder we can't get state funding!!

Reply #417226 | Report this post

Statsman  
Years ago

In a perfect world and if the seedings were correct, then each team should end up in that position. If a team does better than their handicap (seeding) then they have had a better championship than expected.

In the State Boys, Southern finished an average of 2 positions higher than expected.

Reply #417230 | Report this post

Statsman  
Years ago

State Girls Handicap

Norwood - Ave seed of 6.0, got 4.25 (-1.75)
Mavs - ave seed 3.5, got 2.25 (-1.25)
Southern - ave seed 6.0, got 5.25 (-0.75)
Centrals - ave seed 7.75, got 7.75 (evens)
Forestville - ave seed 1.75, got 2.00 (+0.25)
Sturt - ave seed 2.50, got 2.75 (+0.25)
South - ave seed 7.33, got 7.67 (+0.33)
North - ave seed 5.0, got 5.67 (+0.67)
West - ave seed 4.5, got 6.5 (+2.0)
Woodville - seed 7, got 10 (+3.0)

Norwood State Girls Handicap winners

Reply #417233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what you are saying Statman is that being bad over summer, and doing better at State Champs mattres, even if you dont win anything...

Reply #417258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statman has a fascinating view on the world.

I found a previous posting with his views on 'performance'.

"Performance can be measured by variation around the mean results. A mean and standard deviation can be determined per division and then the performance measured by the number of standard deviations from the mean result. It is the best way to statistically compare distributions with different means."

Reply #417266 | Report this post

Red64  
Years ago

Lies,damned lies and statistics

Reply #417268 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

This statistical approach has a whole lot of assumptions that don't really enable valid results. Eg: Is the seeding process reliable - confidence level of reliability?
Eg: The teams have exactly the same players for this weekend?
etc

Reply #417275 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

Reply Anonymous 417201
What strange thought that a team with 5 current or former state players in your team to say anybody could be 0 - 3.But everyone has their right to their opinion.

Reply #417277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Warrior - In that group only one team should have had claims to be 0-3 and that was North that was made up all first years, plus an U16 player and 1 or 2 top age players. For Sturt not to make the semi's with their stacked team is a major major underachievement and may have cost them the state girls title

Reply #417284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Sturt have 0 state players???

Reply #417285 | Report this post

concnerned  
Years ago

There will be a lot of soul searching at Sturt as they have missed out on the U14 girls and boys nationals this year.

Especillay Paul Mescke who coached U14 girls.

Look out all other clubs as sturt will be up to old tricks of poaching players from other clubs in an effort to make U14 nationals next year.

Reply #417288 | Report this post

manos  
Years ago

They could get wildcard into u14 club - pretty reasonable Cv if they go ok at classics

Reply #417291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They won't go ok at Classics. They're not even top 4 team in SA. Were very lucky with the draw they had for State Champs.

Unfortunately for Southern pool A was stacked with Centrals and Eastern.

Reply #417296 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

It was in relation to Bearcats 18 girls that didnt make the classic's with the 5 state reps in the squad, where to for that group

Reply #417297 | Report this post

manos  
Years ago

A grade at nuna

Reply #417299 | Report this post

manos  
Years ago

The u18 d1 comp here is the.most even I have seen it ever and the results reflect that

Reply #417301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it is embarrassing for Sturt 18 girls to lose to North then West and Norwood should also be ashamed. So North have only one second year and an under 16, The under 16 is starting country point guard, the second year starting metro guard also one more state metro player and a country and metro reserve. It is not embarrassing to lose to them, they have some good players.

Reply #417304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, I'm not sure about Toby going for 3 in a row next year. I didn't think he won State Champs last year. Pretty sure that was Norwood.

Happy to stand corrected though.

Reply #417305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year Norwood won state champs.

Centrals won div 1 and finished highest out of SA teams at Nationals (only team to make top 10 and have winning record over there)

Reply #417311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct, so Toby did not win State Champs last year. He is on a winning streak of one year, as is every other coach who won a grand final yesterday.

Reply #417313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummm...Sorry concerned

There is no such thing as a wild card at 14 Nationals

But, SA has sent 3 teams to u14 Nationals for the last 5 years...so Sturt u14 girls will be attending.

But I guess you know better.

I would not doubt Sturt actually look at where they can do better next year even though they won 5 out of 6 overall rophies. If only your club couldbe concerned about the same things.

Reply #417320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For Club Championships, in instances where the host association also receives an automatic bid, an extra 'wildcard' bid can be created. So, as is the case with the 14 Boys this year where Darwin would receive an invitation both as the host and as NT North, Darwin will obviously occupy only one of these positions, creating an unused bid that will be allocated elsewhere.

Not to suggest that I think this is likely to go to Sturt, merely to correct the assumption that there's no such thing as a wildcard.

Reply #417330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually thats not a wild card.

The spot goes to the next highrest finishing state.

The highest finishing state recieves and extra bid.

So NOT a 'wild card' as it is predetermined.

Reply #417336 | Report this post

Statsman  
Years ago

Thank you for the troll, but there's no need for the hate.

In reference to that previous post of mine, some time ago sports commentators were wanting to know "the greatest sportsman of all time" across a variety of sports. In order to do that, the information gathered on the candidates was simple. Knowing a performance level in a sport and the average and standard deviation around that mean (average) they were able to determine that candidate's performance based upon their peers. For example, Don Bradman averaged 99.95 runs per innings at a time when the average was say 30. Knowing the spread of scores they were able to determine that he was 4.4 standard deviations better than the average. Pele was nominated, but he was only 3.7 standard deviations away from the average in his sport and Michael Jordan was 3.4 standard deviations from the mean in his sport. All great sportsman, but statistically Bradman was more dominant in his sport.

In relation to the rankings (seedings), each team should achieve their seeding (in a perfect world). Now, assuming the seedings were correct in the first place, the final position around that seeding should show their personal achievement. If a team was seeded 10th and came 4th I would suggest that had a great tournament. A team seeded 2nd who came 7th, not such a great tournament. Just like horse racing or boating, a handicap position is easily determined.

Google it, you might learn something.

Reply #417356 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Statsman, as I said, and now you quote yourself ..
...'In relation to the rankings (seedings), each team should achieve their seeding (in a perfect world). Now, assuming the seedings were correct in the first place, the final position around that seeding should ...'
So seedings perhaps should not be seen as such a dependable premise for you then to play with SDs. Even then you are only looking at one aspect of the game, admittedly the most important one. In a team game, so many more variables....
Cheers anyway.

Reply #417358 | Report this post

europa96  
Years ago

Statsman, get a hobby dude. Seriously. Way too much spare time on your hands.

Reply #417362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The u18 are a very ordinary group of girls as the recent nationals showed. State champs simply isn't important and inconsequential.

Reply #417365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's important to the kids, don't lose sight of that!! You get on here and whinge about this and that, it's a kids amateur league where they learn the fundamentals of the game and if good enough some go onto the next level.

Reply #417394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like your hypothesis Statesman even if the other fools don't get it. I appreciate it :)

@7335 I found your post to be concise and exceptional aha.

At those defending Sturt and Meske it's possible that he's to preoccupied with "other" impending matters within the club if rumours are true hence the slip up..

We all know Sturt reputation and ability precede them but I also know all empires eventually fall and currently those "paths to rome" are being exposed.

It's only a matter of time now, first Sturt then those at BSA who fail to administrate with Balls.

Reply #417401 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

All you guys having a go at Statsman, it is you who need to get a life.

A 'life' in your sense of the word, is relative. That is, some people find hanging out and drinking with mates appealing, while others (my boy Statsman I'm guessing) like to play with numbers.

I know of a youngish lady who relaxes by analysing statistical data. Personally, I can't think of anything worse when trying to relax; but hey, each to their own.

Statsman was straight up dropping knowledge btw, don't know if you realised.

Reply #417402 | Report this post

Red64  
Years ago

Statsman, think a little more critically about your "greatest sportsman of all time" gobbledygook above.

Bradman was a professional sportsman at a time when cricket was full of talented amateurs. So , yes, he was exceptional when compared to other cricketers of his time I.e. his peers. Think of how professional cricket has become. It is much harder to be exceptional amongst your peers now and become "the greatest sportsman of all time".it makes no sense to compare Bradman to any contemporary cricketer.

It is also nonsense to compare across sports and across eras. The numbers are interesting but they don't prove your point.

Also, congrats to the Sturt club. They are probably already making plans for 2014 while everyone else is in complete shock at their win this year.

#417355 you have serious issues and may need counselling

Reply #417404 | Report this post

Statsman  
Years ago

Red64,

It's not my analysis. I just borrowed the analysis technique. In a previous job I used it a lot to compare and model multi-variant data groups.

My work with looking at the standard deviations came about because I did some work for one of the Boy's Coaching Directors who wanted to see how his teams were going, what impact he was having on their development, and in particular how they improved as they progressed through the years. Ladder position and win % measure success, but the team's score performance also shows how competitive they are. A team can go from losing by 40 ppg to 10 ppg and still hold the same ladder position, but can be more competitive by getting closer to the average score. Even if his teams were holding their ladder position, if they were putting up better performances he could see the improvement he was influencing.

In the boys groups, the "par" or average score from two seasons ago was.

U12B1 35.4, U12B2 28.4
U14B1 49.9, U14B2 34.3
U16B1 52.9, U16B2 39.9
U18B1 55.2, U18B2 41.8

Reply #417423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget those stats. Let's just celebrate and talk about the teams

Reply #417425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were there any big surprise winners in any grade? Were there any surprise Classic qualifying teams? Any outstanding games on the weekend - I heard the U16 boys game was a classic & was a 2 point game... was there a game winning shot?

Reply #417434 | Report this post

asb  
Years ago

Every year there will be under and over achievers during the SA Junior Championships.
Remember things like injuries to players,players unavailable,the draw(three games on one day,distances traveled between games and time programed between games do have effects on the results.
The true championship teams are deceided over a winter season over a lengthly period of time not just over 5 or 6 games over a short space of time.

Reply #417439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree. It's a tournament sport. That's why Classics, Nationals, Olympics, World Championships etc are all tournaments.

Reply #417445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the big picture kids should just be enjoying their sport and good on them for that when so many just sit on the internet all weekend.They should all feel good and not focus on which club is better blah blah blah one day perhaps only a handful will play at a higher level and people should not criticise any childs performance. No wonder many of them just quit around u18 where the parents and coaches can get caught up in all the politics.Sit back and enjoy your kids playing sport, they are not kids for much longer!

Reply #417446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals 16's boys made classics which is fantastic for a team that had more bottom age players.

Centrals 12 boys made classics too which was a great achievement

Boys program picking up!

Reply #417447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Success never happens overnight. It takes years.

Take the boys program at the Lions which has had sustained growth, improvement over the past 3-4 yrs.

If you take D1 Youth League/ABL and State Champs results this year the Lions are one of the stronger male clubs in SA - who would have thought ??????

In this process it has developed a culture of inspiring players to STRIVE to do better and climb the sport's pathways. The club has engaged with coaches working in those pathways (to get an understanding of the characteristics the kids need in their age group and to ensure the club's kids were known to these coaches), communicated those pathways and opportunities to the community, inspiring more to the game, to be engaged by the game and to work hard at bettering themselves in the game. This makes the club an attractive for the right kind of players and families.

Meanwhile the club has developed partnerships with schools and country associations in the area to ensure talent is identified as early as possible and a club that demonstrates that it ensures kids have the best opportunities for kids to achieve their best will always be attractive.

Over that time the club's ability to attract players and coaches has continued to be enhanced year on year and significant growth has occured, along with a culture change.

Fantastic male, country kids that used to drive past STARplex (some of whom played junior basketball for AUstralia) are now the same type of kids that the club has become the club of choice for in the Northern area.

There's no secrets to building a strong district club. The challenge is to continue this process.

Reply #417461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big applause to the Victorian referees,they now their shit,which cant be said for home grown ones.Not putting anybody down ,but some clubs are a protected species & they are good enough to win without officials helping them.

Reply #417476 | Report this post

Airport  
Years ago

i think we lost the core of the thread......Well done Sturt. A club that has demonstrated continued success over many years at all levels in both Boys and Girls. From what I see, a stable committee, parents who are willing to put in to develop the club (program and infrastructure), coaches that are willing to listen to feedback from parents on what works for their kid, and moreover coaches who provide structured and positive feedback to the kids. Have other Clubs started a Saturday morning Domestic League? Are other clubs planning for success? Are other clubs investing in their own future? If Lions are doing as suggested above, well done them and good to see they are planning for success also rather than sitting back winging and complaining. And yes, Sturt probably do respond if someone wants to join the club - what's wrong with that? who gives a fig! if many of the poster's above put their efforts into supporting their own club, being parents, and nurturing their own kids, rather than....they too may (rightly) share the success of Sturt. Well done Donald, Well done Mesecke, Well done all of the Sturt Coaches, Managers, Players, Parents. Well done all. Go for all the silverware in 2014!

Reply #417598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh the good old Sturt propaganda bus is back.

We missed you.

Reply #417602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

breaking news, Paul Mesecke has a mind control ray that brainwashes people to move their kids to sturt! Sturt is actually a cult - watch out Paul Mesecke, initials PM will sooon be running for prime Minister and kids will be specially bred for height and athleticism all over the country to feed the Sturt program- or maybe people just move there off their own backs.

Reply #417616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah and I still believe in the tooth fairy.
PM is nothing but a bully

Reply #417628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classics invitations are out and it seems Sturt's Under 14 Boys are not going. There is a Qld team this year, so only 3 SA invitations, and no Sturt.

Reply #417660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean nationals not classics right?

Reply #417695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

National Junior Classic

Reply #417703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They aren't going to either. I guess they will have to go to Nunawading like every other mediocre SA team.

"Agreed about their U14 boys though - why did they give that group to the young coach? Seems like they have gone backwards the past 9 months."

Seems pretty on the money now. To have a 40 point turnaround in 1 day against a team, some of that has to come down to coaching right?

Reply #417716 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

it amazes me that heaps of people get on this site and bag Paul Mesecke and the Sturt program for stealing players and this and that, my daughter plays at a rival club and she has known Paul since u/12's and i have known him and consider him a friend for a lot longer and he has been nothing but a friend to her and me for all that time and has never even suggested that she should move to Sturt and believe me she would be welcomed there, so maybe all you people should get off his back and maybe understand that his program and sturt's is probably the best going around and we as clubs should be trying to emulate it

Reply #417739 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

i notice no one has mentioned the Eastern u/18 girls achievements over the weekend.

This team won the final and showed everyone what they are capable of by beating Forestville by 20 in the semi and North by 27 in the final. they are a classy outfit when they have all of their players available. my club has played against the same core group of girls since u/14 and they just continue to dominate in these state championships. i looked back through the records and this same group has won 4 out of the last 6 state championships and was runner up in the other 2.

Reply #417741 | Report this post

Phoenix  
Years ago

In my experience Paul/Sturt tries to turn kids away that approach them. They encourage them to work through their issues, normally Paul will ring the club first they're are trying to move from.

In regards to NG poaching players for sturt. LOL nothing could be further from the truth. That's just funny.

We encouraged our club leaders to meet with Paul a few years ago. They listened and learned. He really helped our club alot. I just wish the current leaders in our club would do the same.

Reply #417746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in my experience NG actively discourages kids from moving clubs.

Reply #417751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #417752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are more than enough sightings of Paul and Neil discussing players and then approaching them at rival stadiums over the years and those players swapping over to create this "myth". It's not hear say there's evidence, who cares tbh let them go most are wannabe's who expect improvement to come from the club not the player themselves working hard.
I've seen instances where those players have been promised more than they end up with but they stay so obviously something sticks, even if it does come at a cost. For some apparently it's been very expensive and college promises are nothing but smoke and mirrors oh and maybe additional $$$ in the Meske trust fund..

Reply #417755 | Report this post

Koz  
Years ago

Looks like U14 Stuart are out of Classics this year.
I real shame as were showing some real great signs over the weekend - undefeated until the last couple of games for third, yes congratulation South - a very improved side indeed.

As a previous post said - many factors result in a bad loss and one of the major problems with Sturt have been there injuries - great players that should be resting and still played and had one tall that didn't play at all.

Can happen to any team at any time? Looking forward to injury free games and seeing the boys greatly improve in the coming weeks.

Reply #417757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt aren't even top 4 in under 14's. They've won 1 out of their first 4 games in winter. Don't even think they made finals in summer.

Southern lost one game and are better yet didnt make top 4. Sturt in this grade are not strong at all and would be surprised if they pushed for finals with current line up.

Reply #417760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U14 Sturt only lost to Southern by 4 points a couple of weeks ago and again with injuries.

Again, they have had players that are injured and still playing.

They certainly have the talent, just need to iron out the injuries and the confidence will return.

Looking forward to it!!!!

Reply #417773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you suggesting they're a top team in 14's?

Reply #417776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how is your parenting going?

living your failings through your child?

It's ok no panic the sun will come up tomorrow and you and your toorak tractor will be up with it.

Injuries happen all the time to lots of people but hey usually depth covers them with good coaching to up skill the squad just in case.

Just maybe take those tunnel vision goggles off.

Reply #417780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

776 Yes

and

778 my comments weren't personal towards anybody.
Although your comments are?

Just gave your a reasonable explanation and was my opinion only.

you don't know me although wow I must have struck a cord with you!

Have faith my friend and don't be angry or upset its just not worth it.

Reply #417817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top team?

You think they'll be stronger (and maybe finish) higher than Southern, South, Eastern and Centrals?

Reply #417828 | Report this post

HAWKE  
Years ago

Well Done to the babies at North Adelaide U18 Div. 1 girls team who got R/UP.They faced a team that have won 4 State Championships and been Runners Up twice. A great team!!
The North girls and coaching team should be proud of their achievements!!

Reply #417837 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Hey Hawke!
Don't forget their Reserves? Div. 2 side placed in the top 4 also finishing Third!

Reply #417838 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Interesting!! West State 18 girls should have been there after all the hype regarding recent posts!
Looks like that grade is close and not much separating the teams.
See Sturt did well-Not!

Reply #417839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is happening at Sturt with coaching of U14's for them to be continually injured. They are generally 12 yo's - what is happening out there. There must be something wrong with their strength and conditioning set up. Or are they over trained. Whatever it is they need to have a look at this if it is costing them on the court.

Reply #417843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or maybe the others teams are better???

Always making excuses for the results. Sturt aren't even a finals side in 14's and it's nothing to do with injuries. Stop selling the other teams

Last time I checked, Sturt didn't win state champs, make nationals or win winter last year. What's the excuse for that?

Reply #417844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what if they are not top 4, they are frickin under 14's, it is still a development year, I'm sure Sturt don't tell them they are not good enough to be at the club.Not every year is always strong, next year Mavs 18's girls struggle, there are cycles, it is not all about winning for craps sake.

Reply #417845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess my concern is... where did Sturt U14 boys finish 2 years ago in U12s? If I remember rightly they won state champs? So what has happened since then? They have had the same coach the whole time (2 years).

Reply #417846 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Were the North girls so good because Corey had them 3 years ago?
Where are the faithful followers now?

Reply #417847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not saying it's a big deal they're not top 4 what I'm saying is that you don't have to make excuses for it.

Maybe the other teams have better players, coach and/or structures?

Reply #417848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the sad thing is we have parents writing this crap about kids sport. Thank god the kids aren't on this thread, they show the maturity here.

Maybe Friday night you clowns swap with your sons and play. Let them sit on the sideline and behave like gimps.

Didn't you guys make it as players?????

Reply #417851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Generally U14 success equates to good coaching at U12 level. It's easy to win U12 level basketball but winning in this age group means you need to use tactics that sacrifice development. An U12 coach that instills a love for the game, attracts new kids to the game, commitment from players, excellent defensive principles and descent offensive skills will ensure that the U14 group is successful.

Something for the Sabres to think about!!

Reply #417854 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Good point 851
Many kids 'cop it' from parents (both their own and other) which only increases pressure.
We all know that by U18 there are influences such as "opposite sex" (for majority), cars, bars and parties, but the other factor may well be that they are becoming independent and are sick of being told by parents what they are doing wrong, so 'rebel' by quitting the great game??

Reply #417856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#695, no, I meant Classics. If I meant nationals I would have said so.

Sturt u14 boys are not invited to Classics.

Reply #417859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it's down to coaching in 12's. I know a 12s team that lost to a team by 40 yet two years later in 14s they're beating them by that margin.

Reply #417865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Corey coached that West group (not North) in 16s that failed so miserably in 18s... Didn't they do better in 16s than 18s so your little jab at Corey Curious is a little misplaced dont you think? Before you have a go maybe get your facts straight hey?

Reply #417869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey we have told you before, stop posting about yourself.

Reply #417928 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

i have no idea why there is so much hype about the West u /18 girls, this team is mid table at best and usually gets over teams by physicality not talent. I really struggle to see them beating Forestville, Eastern or North any time soon, they also would struggle against a full strength Norwood. maybe the hype is from the wonderful supporters of this team!

Reply #418032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brute physicality is the way div 1 U18 Westies girls are all about,but we look so cute executing authority on court. Between our three pointers we may put forward a few bruises-so boohoo grow a pair then come and compete against us. BEARCATS 4 EVA!!!!!!!

Reply #418044 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Lol ^

Reply #418064 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

I think you will find all the Westies bleating is nothing more than a troll from another Club stirring up trouble.
So many anon's on this site make it possible to embarrass anybody.

So far as U18 West girls go they're far from hyped. I would say much maligned- getting slagged constantly by Eagle has landed.

I would agree that EVERYBODY will struggle against State Country..opps..Mavs..but U18 Girls Div 1 comp is so evenly spread. Such even competition is great to see.

Wouldn't chalk in any definites..depends on the night.

Round 1 March 22 full strength Norwood 34- West 60

Reply #418065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh - I had forgotten championships were on in round 1 on March 22nd. Thanks for reminding me of what is really important!!!

Keep winning those meaningless games, folks.

Reply #418182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Corey won anything except for U23D1 Men in the inaugural YL year at North which quite frankly could have won it without a coach that year!!

Reply #418188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he has won the chubba chups company respect being rewarded with endless supply of lolly pop sticks to suck on.
But wait for a while he will no doubt post to tell us.

Reply #418202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Say what you want,but this Bearkatz side would have been unbeatable had he stayed.

Reply #418229 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

Sturt U18 Div 1 girls beat Mav's tonight - Winners from state champs! WTF?

Well done Sturt girls!

Reply #418327 | Report this post

Eagle has landed  
Years ago

Hey Bearkatz, what does that say about the current U18 Div 1 coach?

Reply #418346 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

Eagle you are a tool..

just a little fixated about West?

Reply #418354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Cats coach is good ,but not up to Corey standards.

Reply #418374 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

yes i see the physical Bearcats came up short again on Friday night against the rockets which have more u/16 players than 18.

Wow this has got to be a good team out of luck, just could not catch the North kids to be physical with them or just beat them into submission.

oh well maybe next week you can use them strong arm tactics against some else, you never know eventually you may win a game by using this game plan.

one would have thought by now with all the video taping of the games that you do that you would have noticed it does not work, or maybe you are taping the games so you can teach all the team how to bump , scatch and maul others.

Reply #418545 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great review Anon 8545.
Do you work with your hands because you are a Tool.
If you delved a bit more, perhaps you would have found out why West put a much "depleted team on the court.
Not looking for excuses but your Tool had a sharp edge

Reply #418548 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

anon 8548,

the only tools on this thread are you and the rest of your west clan who actually believe that your team can defeat the better teams in the grade, you are the tool and a rather large one at that for thinking such tripe. grow up and smell the roses.m surprised you had an excuse for losing NOT

Reply #418561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fridays game was lost because of poor execution of play by my dear KATZ,not by the superiority of North.Congrats to them this time ,but next time be prepared for a launching.

Reply #418566 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

bad coaching then

Reply #418571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North played terribly that night, West were missing 3 starters who were at their formals, they were never really a chance even though North weren't too competetive,

Reply #418585 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

someone with an axe to grind?

petty tit-for-tat rhetoric?

kid dropped from West?

why the infatuation with the U18 girls?

Reply #418601 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Bearcats bewildered again!

Doesn't matter results count, not what may have been.

Well Done, Sturt for beating Mavs in 18 girls

This grade is still wide open! the North club should be feeling very comfortable with their achievements so far this year in this grade.

They have bought and u16 girl up early and have 6 bottom aged kids ready to go next year.

NG/PM are you watching!!

Reply #418654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol...

I'm sure they are watching your U12 and U14's as well...

how are they doing again?

Reply #418659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wouldn't surprise me.

Reply #418674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North have an under 16 girl because they have no under16 div1 team, so good on the 18's but from there down there aint much happening folks.

Reply #418677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have no U16's as Sturt "parents" convinced one to move there on the promise of a Div 1 spot. Not sure how "parents" can promise anything. Then twins followed their sister to Southern Tigers and then next went to Norwood to help her chances of getting a state gig as North's team had been decimated which started with the first move. She stays and the team stays together!!

Reply #418681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So... it's everybody elses fault but ours?

Reply #418682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fairly certain the player in question who moved to Sturt got the position off her own playing ability, not any promises of these "parents"

She did afterall, make the metro team as a first year kid last year...

Reply #418686 | Report this post

Claire  
Years ago

Ok, If you want to ask why she left, just come ask me, nothing to do with sturt parents (sorry to burst your bubble)and why would she move because she was promised div1? What a stupid reason, she was already in div1 and playing most of the game. I will not post why she moved, it is not the place, but again, feel free to ask, I'm sure we already know each other.Oh and good on you for blaming one person on the team falling apart, appreciate thatxxx

Reply #418689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Claire,

I have no idea who you are if I ran into you. I am just relaying the story from one of the other persons who has moved to our club explaining why they shifted and, in their opinion, what was the initial reason for the exodus. Doesn't bother me - our club is also beneficiaries of all of this!!

Reply #418694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread is about SA junior championships not bullisht that you're all dribbling (excuse the pun).

Why don't you all get a life and post positive things about the championship!

Reply #418699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So anon,

Esentially you have lied about a 15 year old kid.

Intentionally slandered a club without any truth to it.

And are happy that you have taken kids out of a team leading to their collapse.

Well arent you a special person!

Reply #418705 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Why read an mystery/spy/action novel when you can just read a junior thread on Hoops.

Reply #418732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above

Are you reading what I am reading? Seems to me you have selective reading syndrome. Perhaps you can ask the Sturt President why he isn't completely happy about the initial move to Sturt and what problems it may have caused. Perhaps PM and RD are not seeing eye to eye on these matters.

Reply #418735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I thought this was about the kids hahaha

If you know each other save us from your pathetic behavior and have it out with each other behind closed doors.

Reply #418740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^

I think you might have heard wrong.

Or are just making shit up.

Reply #418741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #418735

At some point you might hit on something that is true. But up till now you haven't. Just another ignorant bullshit artist.

Reply #418759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westies will rule the roost after hearing about the problems in other clubs we realize that our probs are over & for our competitors they have just begun.BKATZ FOR EVA!!!!!!!

Reply #418760 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

BKATZ FOR EVA!!!!!!!

Yaahhhhh !!!!

You are so Kool that you are like ice! I don't think you realise how kool you are. You must be like the totally koolest kat here!

Reply #418768 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

Anon 760 Troll clearly not from West and trying his/her best to steer the slagging back to Bearcats..

some positive comments would not go astray amongst all this mud-slinging

Reply #418770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't feed the troll

Reply #418771 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Gee, what makes you think they're not from Westies cat?

Reply #418772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know why sturts u14s are not going to classics?

Reply #418774 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Too cool for classics (I don't know).

Reply #418777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

774, weren't invited.

BV only invited top 3 due to Gold Coast nomination.

Reply #418778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No PlaymakerMo you don't know cause you might just be an ignoramus

Reply #418779 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

Come on BasketballSA, update your website with the Age Group winners and Trophy winners from the 2013 Junior Championship!

Credit where credit is due - congratulations Sturt Sabres!

Reply #418793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ WTF I don't think they care to much for Sturt atm, ask the coaches things are a bit tougher this year away from Pas aha.

Reply #418819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF,

They need to update from 2012 first.

But they sure are on top of the ball there.

How can we have any confidence in them as the peak body when they are over a year out of date.

Oh, and in their key documents. They have a business plan that ran out in 2011. No wonder we are a rudderless shit.

Reply #418827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about updating the State Results which haven't been updated since 2008. Surely a 5 minute job?

Reply #418828 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754