celtic green
Years ago

Is Lopez the worst rebounder?

Game 6 today and he has 3 rebounds; WTF? The guy is a legit 7 footer, you would think at least 6 or 7 rebounds a game would just fall into his hands with all the minutes he is getting. What the hell?

Topic #31554 | Report this topic

hooked  
Years ago

Reggie gets them all!

Like luc playing with rodman!

Reply #416710 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I agree he should get more i read an article a few days ago which showed the very high percentage of times he boxes his man (or someone else's man) out while Reggie Evans just heads straight to get the rebound. Lopez's man rarely gets many o-boards. I'll post a link if I can find it

Reply #416713 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The Luke Nevill of the NBA?

Reply #416727 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

http://hoopchalk.com/2013/04/16/why-cant-brook-lopez-rebound-he-boxes-out-too-much/

Not sure exactly how to embed ^ is there a guide to how to on here?

Long article so if you just skim read the graphs and graphics you'll get an idea

Tl:dr Lopez boxes out ALOT, doesn't pursue rebounds as much as Evans does, Evans goes after rebounds instead of boxing out

Reply #416740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ALOT is actually two words. But thank you Ingles, a sensible post.

And yes, a guide to embed media as well as the quotes with the yellow margins would be good.

Reply #416743 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Good article. I think it is half the story, while his lack of agility is probably the other half.

Reply #416754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See Ingles, positive feedback by Mick. If you post sensible things, people respond to you positively

Reply #416759 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

For what it's worth, I see this a lot at all levels, senior and junior. You get a player who is not the most athletic, maybe not with great hops but does the dirty work by placing him/her self into a good position to allow a team mate to rebound uncontested.

Should be a stat for it, maybe a rebound assist!!?

Reply #416761 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Rebound assist would be a good stat but extremely hard to track. Do you count them if it goes nowhere near the guy you're boxing out? But the staff and players of an NBA team probably value Lopez's boxing out a lot more than the general public and fans

Reply #416763 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Absolutely.

But that's the difference between Lopez and a great rebounder. The great rebounder boxes out his man and then has the intuition, aggressiveness, strength and agility to then grab the rebound as well (if there isn't a teammate in a more convenient location).

Lopez has that weird combination of being an un-coordinated-looking lumbering oaf and then having nice soft hands on the offensive end.

Reply #416775 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

should be a stat for successful boxouts and maybe an asterix if they boxed out a Vukona or Holmes etc

Reply #416789 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Aren't we all lucky Vukonas not over 2m
He would be our version of Rodman!
Lopez boxes out , that's a good thing. Unlike Evans, Lopez gets buckets. Can't expect every big man to play like Love or Howard

Reply #416795 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754