Isaac
Years ago

Aaron Bruce not re-signed by Sydney Kings

Seems to have created a bit of an incident with a few Kings PR people (PR guy and a Kings evangelist) on his way out.

Not sure if all the tweets are still there, but you can try to guess with a search of "aaronbruce11". Bit of excitement for the end of the NBL week. @mwprmark is AFAIK the Kings PR/media guy.

I missed the early fun, but there appeared to be something of a dispute between Bruce and a guy from Home & Away plus his wife (who are both very supportive of the Kings) about who actually knew Andrew Bogut better. I hope I'm not getting this wrong, because it seems pretty juvenile. Here's part of the conversation and a fan response:
Wow... Publicly abusing some of ur highest profile ticket holders isn't a good career move........ Brain please for table 2....
-- @kingpodge

Where to for Aaron Bruce from here? He's rated 7 points, FWIW.

Topic #31561 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't want he.. hes cancer

Reply #416829 | Report this post

loli  
Years ago

it does seem pretty juvenile. But the Ewing's are a bunch of namedroppers who love the limelight.

Theres truth to Bruce's comments but best kept off social media.

Reply #416830 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Bruce and the H&A chick should just get a room.....again

Reply #416831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha he was telling the truth.

Reply #416833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Situation: did he bang Ewings mrs?? hahaha

Reply #416836 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

7 points?

No one is touching him.

There are College players out there who could come back rated a 3 and be much much more productive than him:

Damon Heuir: 15.5ppg at SUU. Just finished his senior year

Joel Naburgs: 10 ppg at Stetson

Or they could use Bruce's salary and Henry's salary to try to lure back Delly!

Reply #416837 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Worth 7 Point, shot at 35% last season (37% for career), never played in a team with a winning record in his professional career, 2 coaches letting him go and continues to show no class.

NBL teams please line up to sign this guy.

Reply #416846 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

A huge fall from grace for a guy once tabbed an NBA prospect in his freshman season I agree with macdub Sydney could get more from a rookie

Reply #416847 | Report this post

What?????  
Years ago

The hate on here is real. Guys jump on a bandwagon trash talk. Motto of the forum right now 'Kick whilst down'. If only some could support hoops with the same amount of gusto that they use to down others on here.

Lets have an amnesty week of positivity.

Reply #416849 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

He started it.

Reply #416851 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Rather have Kevin Braswell
Oh yeah to the Tigers GM thanks for Corletto
Love NZ Breakers!

Reply #416855 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Giving some douche from H&A shit should be applauded. Not to mention he's probably just done 100 times more to promote the league with those tweets than BA has in past few years. Who cares if he wants to have a bit of back and forward on twitter, every other pro league has athletes on social media making a stir every now and then but they don't get their hands held as much as our players seem to.

Reply #416859 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Any publicity is good publicity lol

Reply #416861 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ricey,

There's a line though isn't there?

Abusing those who help to promote your team isn't the smartest. Forgetting about his contractual obligations?

I for one can live with NBL publicity from the likes of Homicide, J.Hodge (even though he took it too far) and other imports. Their trash talk is exciting.

But when your Aaron Bruce and struggling to get a gig as it is and you offend those who help to pay your living, its just stupidity.

Reply #416862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing is macdub they (kings) have already said to him his contract won't be renewed.. The kings won't fine him for arguing over twitter with a celebrity! Lol he has nothing to lose!! Also if u do ur homework on the situation you may find that dan Ewing bags him in tweets saying he doesn't pass the ball and also wishes every king on twitter good luck for games except Bruce. Coincidence? Bruce certainly has his reasons for his outburst.. But not once has he ever bashed ewings shit acting over twitter.

Bruce will be wearing orange can bank on it. And like how he has torched the sixers in the past he may turn to the kings..

Reply #416865 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

why not join the tigers?

Reply #416867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The hate on here is real.
That's rich. The chick mentioned the Warriors and said something supportive about Bogut and Bruce's response was uninvited and juvenile. And then it continued. He should've completely ignored it.
also wishes every king on twitter good luck for games except Bruce.
Oh no! Something must be done!

Reply #416869 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Players are in the public spotlight. Of course they are going to get some criticism.

Bruce isn't the first and he won't be the last.

The other players in the league are often subject to similar criticism, but don't bite the line (probably because they are a bit more mature).

Reply #416870 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Ewing has his reasons for any harsh feelings he has towards Bruce.

Reply #416871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So professional sporting people should just cop all abuse and criticism? Pfft they are regular people just like anyone Isaac.

Yeah of course situation because he banged his wife!

Reply #416872 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

All abuse and criticism?

Oh yes, not getting a good luck tweet from a person pre-game is one of the most degrading things a human could ever confront.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights clearly prohibits such torture.

Reply #416874 | Report this post

What?????  
Years ago

People are taking the moral high ground on this!!!! I'm sure that he wouldn't randomly attack. Must be more to it. Hmmm, someone on here must love Home and Away.

Reply #416875 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Are you guys trying to match the immaturity of the twitter war in this thread?

Personally, I couldn't give two shits what Aaron Bruce tweets normally. This is just entertaining.

Can't we all just agree they're both douchebags and enjoy this while it lasts? #lovedonthate

Reply #416879 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Am I bad for saying I actually like Bruce for his hoops?
Would love him back here, can run the point beautifully..and surely the new coach could pull this so called attitude into line....

Reply #416881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce and Heal didn't mix.

Reply #416882 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

:highfive: Arron Bruce, too bad the Riverboys are gonna get him now haha, I wouldn't head over to Yabbie Creek alone

Reply #416887 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The funniest part is the PR guy publically tweeting to him to delete tweets and referencing his contract status.

How unprofessional is THAT?

Reply #416894 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Abuse and criticism? He was responding to a nice tweet about Bogut. And yes, it's a public spectacle and reviews/criticism happen. Ever watched At The Movies!?

Reply #416896 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

very unprofessional but damn funny

Reply #416897 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

The "PR guy" is a dipstick who has done more to harm the Kings reputation than anything Bruce has tweeted. He annoyed so many Kings fans with his deletions of posts on the Kings official Facebook site (not abusive, bad language or anything but just stuff he didn't like) that 2 unofficial fan groups started up to have a place where fans could post their thoughts. He's an A-grade douche who knows nothing about basketball & his media releases often have fans & others involved in Kings promotion tearing their eyes out they are so badly written.

Reply #416901 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't get how the PR guy was being unprofessional?

I'm quite sure they are looking at terminating his contract as of right now. This will cost Bruce two months salary.

Reply #416916 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

@Pete

Spot on.

Reply #416924 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Because you don't reprimand players and ask them to do things like that in public forum. You use the correct channels.

Reply #416925 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He tried to DM him first, at least but couldn't because Bruce wasn't following or had unfollowed/blocked him.

Not so fussed about the PR guy and I doubt the Kings are too fussed, but this is hardly a great career move for a player. Bet Heal's thinking "I was still a bit torn on the decision, but it looks like we made the right move not keeping this guy."

Reply #416927 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

So uhh, is anyone going to ice up Bruce for this season now?

Reply #416933 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I would have at least made a phone call...

Reply #416935 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Nah a phone call would be too hard. Sending a twitter message is far easier

Reply #416953 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I've never been a fan of Bruce. His game never lived up to his supposed potential or to his attitude. I gather he's had off court issues as well and I was surprised the Kings kept him on as long as they did. Still, I can understand why he or any player would resent the D-Grade "celebrities" who sit on the bench and strut around on game day like they should be the focus of attention. It's part of the Kings culture I've never understood the way they suck up to these d-listers and treat them like royalty.

That Wells character is pure PR person (or spin merchant) through and through. He is well intentioned I'm sure but has got offside with some of the non mainstream media people like bloggers and amateur photographers who generate more publicity than the stuff he generates. He did make himself look a bit of a fool on Facebook the way he attacked anybody who posted anything negative about Moose or the Kings generally and then got many fans offside by deleting posts he didn't like. He even made a post or 2 on Ozhoops attacking people who criticized Moose and called for him to be sacked but got out of there quickly. I don't think he's posted here, not with a recognisable name anyway like he made the mistake of doing on Ozhoops.

Reply #416961 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Sydney should be glad for the D Listers they have. It all creates the illusion of success and being the cool thing to do.

As for Bruce... He was once a decent guard. Looked like the next steve nash as many people said, but it really went nowhere... Missed out on NBA... Was average at best in NBL... and his best seems to have past him. Not a player I would bother picking up, should probably look to another career

Reply #416964 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

my tweet wasn't even about that......

When it happened I didn't realize he was out of contract, either way it's a pretty strange thing to pick a public fight about.

People who talk positive about the NBL need to be encouraged, regardless of whether their on Home and Away or Gardening Australian.
God knows the league needs all the positive help it can get.

Where's the love..........

Reply #416979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahah. Who on earth is marni little. If we need her to promote our game we are screwed. Good on Aaron for telling it how it is. Hope he destroys the kings next year. He will have 20 and 10 against your sixers without a doubt cos you guys stink and don't know talent when it smacks you in the face. Sorry Isaac I didn't oblige by the rules of this forum and suck up your ass!!

Reply #416992 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I liked Aaron Bruce a little more after reading his tweets.

Reply #416996 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree Mystro.

Sydney is painfully chock-full with these name-dropping Z-list boot-scum and it's good to see someone tell them how it is.

Reply #416998 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

While I certainly don't understand the publics fascination with celebrity per se, I also cannot fathom how others despise those "celebrities" with such passion.

As I understand it the couple in question are Kings fans and like using social media to talk about the team - and they have a truck load if followers due to their perceived celebrity status with the general public. How is this anything but good for the kings and sport in general? And why Mick do you despise them with such passion? (Not meaning to single you out - you're just the most recent post I've seen)

Reply #417003 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Wow #416992, you went massively out on a limb with that post, possibly the most controversial thing I have ever seen here. When you go to an Italian restaurant do you go all out and ask for the parmesan?

Reply #417005 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I have no idea who these people are I'm just making a (sweeping) generalisation about the z-list, constant name-dropping celebrity culture that exists in many circles in Sydney.

Reply #417016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Ewing guy stands with the team during timeouts and comments to the assistants while Heal is talking. Bruce isn't the only player who didn't like the way they carried on but nobody else would speak up. Good on him for telling it how it is.

Reply #417017 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If that was the issue, why didn't he say that. Bruce called them out for name-dropping, when they weren't. You can't defend Bruce by introducing a whole bunch of other things they do which annoy people.

Reply #417024 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree it was weird that he said in reaction to that innocuous post, which makes one assume there is history there.

So yeah it is shitty of Bruce to not pick his battles a little better.

But these kinds of fringe celebrity trash don't need anyone's sympathy either...

Reply #417034 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, why not? They're just people with jobs. Why the differentiation?

Reply #417058 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Maybe that was comment 97 of the year posted by Ewing with all the players at the Kings thinking not this idiot again...

PR man on twitter is a joke though. Surely you would send a text.

Actually the change to bring in Heal instead of Moose was a good one. Although I still see the largest capital city in Australia with poor attendance. Maybe the Kings should focus on getting rid of their 'lack of PR' manager. There is currently no place in the NBL for marketing managers at the club level. The clubs need multi-talented managerial staff. Any GM who needs a marketing officer probably needs to go.

Reply #417061 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

You can't blame guys, still under contract next season, for not publicly backing AB's dislike of D and M on their bench etc. Bruce would have one more paypacket due from the Kings? Probably should have waited a few weeks altho he may not feel warm and fuzzy towards them either.

Reply #417066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opens the door for townsville to pick him up now

Reply #417078 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

These D list celebrities do not make it look cool to go to games, and the reason being, nobody knows who they are. Maybe some parents who watch the show will, but that's it. They had the people from The Shire there, the most hated show, oh yeah sooooo cool to go to a kings game now.

Reply #417102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holmes won't play alongside Bruce

Reply #417103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey you are talking about it so it has worked

Reply #417104 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Whether you like them or not doesn't determine their popularity.

Reply #417114 | Report this post

red45  
Years ago

Bruce would fit in nicely in Cairns...
Probably the only team he could go to after acting like an idiot (in some peoples opinion) and still be loved by the "orange army"

Reply #417211 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754