Anonymous
Years ago

Vinny Del Negro Gone?

With the Clips out of the playoffs, in the first round, when the west was wide open, will Vinny get fired, and more importantly, will Chris Paul leave?

Topic #31566 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was an article saying that the Clippers will take a week to review the season before making a final decision.

Reply #416994 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd say he's gone but Paul will stay.

Reply #416995 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

Cp3 is a scumbag I hope he gets nothing he wants

Reply #417010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

vinny cant coach. go for phil....

Reply #417015 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

that's tough. lost against a very good memphis team

Reply #417018 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Paul & Howard will team up somewhere!

Reply #417019 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Massive joke if he stays

Reply #417022 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Guys like Paul and Nash (in his prime) need a hands-off coach though because they have to dominate the ball to be effective. They aren't the sort of guys to set up traditional offensive sets. You could do a lot worse than a one dimensional guy like a Mike Brown who just coordinates the defense and lets Paul run the other end of the floor.

Reply #417025 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The caveat being, Paul will never win a championship, so you may as well just get a guy who can give him a few deep playoff runs and keep him happy.

I don't think you CAN win a championship with a ball-dominating point guard.

Reply #417027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ye olde Mick.

Reply #417028 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Well I'm just saying. Not many championship teams in league history have PGs who average high assist numbers.

If anyone can do it, it's him, but history shows that it's a tough battle to lead a team with a high useage rate from the PG slot.

Reply #417032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, I haven't looked at the stats, but intuition says you are right. I agree with you, I'm just commenting on your use of "caveat". I love that word mate.

Did you study literature or something? Your writing is excellent. Seriously

Reply #417036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Paul will win a title, too good, too driven and he has changed the game from what it used to be with his skill set. Clippers had to make a trade at the deadline, they peaked too early in the season. He will make sure he never has a NO Hornets situation again where he is shovelling shit uphill wasting valuable energy. He may move this season, but it will be to an automatic contender, and within 5 years he will hold the Larry O'Brien trophy.

Reply #417037 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

An Elite point guard hasn't won a title since Isiah in 1989/1990 when they were elite at the time (all nab first or second team). As a famous fanboy has once said, you cannot win a title with your PG as your best player

Reply #417041 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't think correlation equals causation when it comes to PGs and titles. They used to say you'll never win a title without an all star centre too.

Reply #417042 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Love the spoiler alert in the thread title, after the title pretty much gives away the result.

Reply #417043 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

That was the last year of his contract, was it not?

Reply #417064 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not saying PGs can't lead a team to a title, obviously in the "modern" NBA you have Isaiah and Magic, but generally on a championship you don't see one guy averaging huge assist numbers, because that can correlate to bad ball movement.

The ideal championship point guard for my money is a guy who can score dependably and get a team into its sets early without dominating the ball. History shows that this is usually the case. No need to average 10+ dimes.

Obviously Paul is a better player than a lot of championship winning PGs from years passed, he just needs to be on a team where he has a coach or other teammates to make plays happen without him being involved in every one.

Reply #417163 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Mike D'Antoni is coaching the wrong LA team. His system would work with Paul at the helm and the athletes they have. Clips and Lakers should work out a deal that gets Mike over to LAC and Phil back to LAL and then all hoops fans in LA will be happy.

Reply #417215 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Mike D'Antoni is not the guy you want coaching this team; yes it would be great to watch but I don't think they could win a title with him as coach, and this team is being built to win a title. I would love to see someone like Van Gundy (either one) get the job, he would add the defensive nous and also the steel that some of the players need to get

Reply #417332 | Report this post

Hornacek  
Years ago

The clips have still got an Indian curse on them dating from since they were the buffalo braves.
this needs to be lifted.

Reply #417343 | Report this post

Eight  
Years ago

Celtics in 2008 with Rajon Rondo is fairly modern.

Reply #417350 | Report this post

Hornacek  
Years ago

He averaged 5 assists that year, I already looked it up.

Reply #417368 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754