Anonymous
Years ago

SEABL Round 7

Pioneers get the road Double beating Albury and Sandringham comfortably.

Robinson and Allen have good weekends and Robinson's efforts should silence a few critics on here from last week.

The Pioneers v Geelong next week at the Icehouse to be the match up of the season so far!

In other games Hobart beat Geelong in Geelong after beating the South Confrence leaders (Pioneers) last weekend.

Enjoyed everyones thoughts last week and look forward to similar discussion this week!

Topic #31576 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kilsyth and Frankston make it two in a row. So much for people bagging these two programs. From box score it looks like Frankston still missing import. Dandenong are on the skids. Personnel to come back so only short term. Sandringham the big worry. They look off their tucker.

Reply #417097 | Report this post

Cops  
Years ago

Albury played without import centre Ntumba and word on Twitter is that he needs knee surgery and it likely done for the season. With their import point guard unable to play the role and now Ntumba likely gone Albury looks odds on to pick up the spoon. The local media have certainly turned on the too and even the coach doesn't have much good to say about them (of course none of it is his fault).

Some upsets on the weekend too with lots of big guns failing to fire.

Reply #417101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart beat Geelong away, the lose to Kilstyh?
Canberra beat Nunawading AND Knox?

Frankston and Kilsyth both with consecutive wins?

What the hell is going on?

Reply #417105 | Report this post

Cops  
Years ago

Yeah, hard comp to pick this year.

Reply #417107 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Watched Frankston V NW Thunder.Blues coming together under Al. Getting the best out of his group. New import on the way to fill the hole in the donut.Thunder very disappointing.Need an import combo guard.Both imports were solid but theres no penetration in the guard position and no outside threats.Got some good kids in the guard spots but they are 2 years away.

Reply #417113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright does a pretty good job for NW Thunder.

Reply #417119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tough road trip for NW Tas. Bendigo the night before then Frankston.

Reply #417120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright is a very underated player and logged a lot of minutes this weekend. NW Tassie only had 8 players but ran into a fresh and focussed Frankston team.

Canberra huge road double

Nunnawading and Knox - Big step back after the home loss last week

Reply #417122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Season wide open. Geelong getting beat home show's they are human. Bad news if true about Albury's big.

Reply #417125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injuries are dominating. CJ and Conn.
NWT are always pretenders. despite the experts predicting that the Bandits would be in the hunt they got it wrong. always going to be bottom or there abouts.
Go the gunners.

Reply #417126 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I was expecting to see some good things from Wright today but didnt fire a shot.Payne reminds me a bit of Calvin Henry.

Reply #417128 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Rhys Carter and Knox still lose.

Reply #417132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox and no CJ lose.

Reply #417134 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Carter is all or nothing.Can be 40 points or 4....

Reply #417136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carter is overrated. I wonder how Team Carroll are taking his recruitment.

Reply #417138 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Kind of wonder why Knox recruits Rhys Carter. Why dont they play some of their local kids. Plus heard they are broke. Knox drove to Mt Gambier the other week, dont clubs normally fly there

Reply #417140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most clubs drive there

Reply #417145 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Ntumba definitely gone for the season:
http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/1479848/oh-no-momo-say-it-aint-so/?cs=10

Reply #417164 | Report this post

Cops  
Years ago

Lock in the spoon Eddie.

From zeroes to heroes and back again in 3 seasons.

Reply #417165 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I agree that the season has opened up a little, espeically with recent upsets occurring, but that is great for the competition and the integrity of the SEABL as a competition...

If you don't turn up to play 4 quarters the oposition will hurt you, that's the way we want to watch basketball played, intense and close to the end!

Reply #417169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good call Bear!

Reply #417174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most open and even SEABL season i can remember, i wouldn't write anyone off yet, its too early.

Reply #417175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs used to Fly to Mount Gam when the league had a great Qantas deal back in the day.

They switched to Ansett for half a season before they went broke.

Since they have been back with Qantas clubs have been driving to Mt Gambier.

Reply #417186 | Report this post

Green98  
Years ago

I can not remember seabll being so even- the tops sides have a bad day and the bottom sides will blow them away- tipsters nighmare this comp.

Reply #417197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am unsure why there is talk of Qantas at all. The SEABL have used Virgin for many seasons now. All the interstate teams fly there of course.
Even with Ntumbo going down they were destined for the cellar. Champs to chumps in one season.

Reply #417216 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

My wrap up of the round is now up at AndTheFoul.net - http://andthefoul.net/archives/6051

Forget to list it in the article but I'm tipping Camontae Griffin for POW this week, although Ben Allen or Brad Hill could both be in contention.

Reply #417227 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Griffin had nine TOs?

Carter's line was 12 points (on 5/17 FG!), 11 rebounds, eight assists, six steals.

Reply #417235 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Nice wrap Beth, Andthefoul is a good read, is there an internet link that sends regular emails for updates on that site somewhere?

I don't have facebook, twitter or any social media at the minute, only use general internet links...

I would love to get regular updates emailed to me, if that facility is available?

(Otherwise I will have to set up a Google search)!

Reply #417240 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

Not sure Bear - I will see if I can answer it for you if natwhereyouat doesn't get here first! Otherwise a Google alert may be the way to go if you're not a tweeter!

Reply #417247 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Cheers Beth...... Maybe I should become a tweeter, I've been called worse!!

Reply #417250 | Report this post

the chief  
Years ago

Sorry guys to change the subject but I just could not hold back any longer. I have been watching SEABL for a long long time and the standard of officiating this season has just been appalling and to be honest the worst I have ever seen it.What I witness in all 4 games at Knox on the weekend just confirmed what I have been thinking. I cannot understand how the Canberra mens coach kept his cool a couple times as the calls they got against them were just wrong.

Tim they need to lift their game standards and I just hope you are getting honest crits as well.

Reply #417286 | Report this post

the chief  
Years ago

Sorry guys to change the subject but I just could not hold back any longer. I have been watching SEABL for a long long time and the standard of officiating this season has just been appalling and to be honest the worst I have ever seen it.What I witness in all 4 games at Knox on the weekend just confirmed what I have been thinking. I cannot understand how the Canberra mens coach kept his cool a couple times as the calls they got against them were just wrong.

Tim they need to lift their game standards and I just hope you are getting honest crits as well.

Reply #417287 | Report this post

Gary  
Years ago

Who will Albury get to replace MoMo?
Any NBL bigs left who are looking for a run in SEABL?
Or do they have the budget to replace him with a US import?

Reply #417309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree the Chief!

I think the problem is the umps chief! saw him umpire a game this year and the first year seabl umpire was miles better" the chief was out on a power trip! and the umpiring was appalling it all starts from the top.

Reply #417312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SEABL office do so many good things and make so many good decisions, the Referee manager appointment sadly wasnt one of them.
How can an active referee sit in management and judgement of their peers? A lot of those peers are actually better ocfficials than him too.
Add a punative punishment based assesment style and he simply has lost the respect of his officials.

Reply #417334 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Hey if a ref has a bad game or makes some bad decisions what happens? Nothing. So what do we expect. Nothing happens.

Reply #417337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that depends which Ref it is, some get bannished while others get a blind eye turned.

Reply #417339 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance but who is it.3 seconds in the queue way is a forgotten rule.

Reply #417386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We aren't seriously talking about referees are we?? Not only do they always ruin a good game, it appears they always ruin a good forum thread!!

Reply #417399 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I hear around the traps that Gonzaga at Nunawading went down at the end of the 1st Q with a knee injury...anyword on how serious?

Without Gonzaga and with Conn constantly on the sideline it could be season over for them as Cameron is the only other big.

Wondering if either Albury or Nunawading will replace there imports at this stage or just write off the season?

Reply #417429 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Albury will, Frankston have and Nuna may look local.

Reply #417534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nuna women look pretty lack lustre this year, dropping to Canberra at home was a big loss. Cant see them featuring in finals this year.

Reply #417538 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Is there any locals around that Nuna or Albury could pick up??

I can't think of to many off the top of my head...any suggestions?

Hopefully all teams with get back to full strengh either by regaining fitness or new imports as i have loved how tight the comp has been this year.

Every game i've seen has been of a good level and really enjoyable.

Reply #417552 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Just finished watching the replay of the Geelong-Hobart game from Friday night and what a great spectacle of basketball.

Great Shooting exhibition from Deba George & Mike Mercer while Sam Armstrong was also deadly from range.

Brandon Polk inside was almost unstoppable.

The referees were hardly noticeable just let the game flow.

The momentum changes throughout the game kept you watching the action from start to finish.

Much more interesting to watch these SEABL games than the NBL in Melbourne.

Well worth watching!

Reply #417654 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Agreed VP - SEABL games are often higher quality than what the NBL has served up in recent years. The individual skills might not be quite as good but the standard & style of play is far better to watch with some stellar shooting performances & great dunks.

Reply #417692 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@D4444 - I think the SEABL is a better league to watch than NBL becuase the imports are good quality and can show there skills and bring excitment to the league.

Unlke the NBL were everyone is that heavliy scouted it becomes a defensive slog and the imports are beaten into submission.

Reply #417701 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

You're probably right Tiger Watcher & I think another aspect of it is that the imports in the NBL are no longer the standouts on each team. With the exception of a few like Jackson or Lisch, many are pretty much on par with local players while in SEABL the imports still tend to be standouts so a level above most locals.

Reply #417711 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@VP, your point is valid, which is why I would personally love to see the NBL change in so many ways, officiating is crucial to the way the game is played but in the NBL the top teams seem to be so hell bent on stopping the free flowing open game style just to achieve the win!

With the right media coverage, exposure and a bit more cash to go around I think SEABL could even take another step up...

As good as the SEABL is, it still suffers from quality in the way it is promoted IMO, but there is potential and room for improvement on that front for hoops in general here in Aus!!

Reply #417713 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Basketball heads will always watch basketball cause we love the game but having high flying standout imports brings in the kids & families that otherwise aren;t that keen on catching a game of bball over a footy match or A-League.

Reply #417726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a look at the very start of the Geelong hobart game. Who ever threw the initial jump ball should be sacked. The jump should have been recalled immediately. The ball was tossed 5' above where the players could jump to. Maybe their decison making process is better than their jump ball tossing ability. Let's hope so.

Reply #417740 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:52 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754