#45 hoops
Years ago

New teams, when will they come into play?

so because of the demerger, hopefully we will see some new teams (brisbane, 2nd New zeland, ect)
But when will the teams actually come into the league? Could we see a team come for next season?

Topic #31580 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

As with all the other rule changes being thrown around, I would like to see things slowly introduced as to not upset the league too much too fast.

Unless there is a really good bid with money to back it up I would like to see the NBL go the AFL route and announce thats X club will be coming into the league next year or the year after. And then have the preseason tournament near by and maybe play one or two regular season matches there to drum up a little excitement.

I think there is merit behind - Brisbane, 2nd Melbourne & Wellington at the moment.

Reply #417195 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

as above.

Announcements ahead of time to build support, hype, grassroots following, etc. None of this "oh by the way we have a new team and they are going to be playing in the season that starts in a couple of months" crap.

Reply #417199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know anything abount the current situation in Townsville?

Reply #417200 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Re: Townsville. Looking strong but not there yet. The vibe is they will be around next season and beyond, still need fan support however.

Reply #417219 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

the savethecrocs.com website has raised almost 500k so far.

Reply #417223 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

so brisbane will most likely the 2014-2015 season?

Reply #417224 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Don't hold your breathe for any Brisbane team. we have tried at least 5 different ventures and models to get it back up and going. there isn't any corporate interest in Brisbane. We cant get any money from the Qld Government thanks to Labor sending us broke almost. Businesses are trimming the fat and focusing more on efficiencies rather then growth, so unless Clive Palmer has an interest in Basketball which I know he doesn't, he hates the game then no Brisbane team will be happening anytime soon in the current economic climate which is suppose to get worse in 2015 when mining investment comes to a holt and unemployment rises.

Reply #417228 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

will the newcastle area ever get a team? The closest team is sydney, at 2 and a half hours away.
There is a nrl and a league team doing good, so why not try nbl?

Reply #417241 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think if these owners are serious about running the league themselves and making the big leap in growth BA cant then there will be a Brisbane team from 2014-15.

Given it's commercial worth I expect some of the owners to be owners of the new club if necessary.

Reply #417244 | Report this post

meo  
Years ago

Paul you are dreaming if you think any of the current owners will sink money into a new team in Brisbane.

Townsville - community model, wont sink money in, because they have none
Cairns - see Townsville
Wollongong - see Cairns
Perth - maybe
Adelaide - no
NZ - maybe
Melbourne - no (this is almost a maybe - but its more a no than a maybe)
Sydney - no

There is barely commercial worth in owning one team, let alone owning two

Reply #417252 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think there is less commercial worth without a Brisbane Franchise.

Reply #417261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely ^ Brisbane is vital

Reply #417264 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Meo, the Melbourne owners just sold Dodo for over $200 million to concentrate more on basketball and they have been one of the leaders pushing the de-merge.

I dont think they would pass up on the commercial worth of a Brisbane team for the league because of the cost of being a part owner, which would be a pittance to them at the moment.

Reply #417265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, do you think the TV coverage will change for next season? Perhaps some games on FOX?

Reply #417267 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont know, but a spokesman for the clubs indicated next year will be very much business as usual without any big changes. They do have the right to sell non-Ten games though so it is possible.

It seems to me any significant changes will happen down the track.

Reply #417269 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not to mentional the moral hazard / illegality of having an ownership stake in two separate times.

Brisbane is lucrative in terms of any TV deal long term, but why not let Wellington in in the meantime if they are all good to go for 2014/15 and Brisbane is not?

Reply #417271 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Like Sydney, I dont think Brisbane will happen without some significant support from the league, so I dont think there's much point in waiting. The owners need to make it happen soon and I suspect they will.

Reply #417273 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

But then aren't you back at square one in terms of having unsustainability?

I don't like the idea of giving Sydney the backdoor entry and now Brisbane as well. It seems like a return to the bad old days...

Reply #417280 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Without Sydney in there would have been not FTA and no major sponsor. Without Brisbane they cant take the next steps they need to.

What makes you think league backing to get Brisbane in makes it unsustainable?

Reply #417282 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I know that Major League Soccer in the US went down the multi-franchise ownership model to get things kicking. The owner would then sell to another interested party when they got the chance, whilst retaining their ownership of their original team. It's worked well for them. If there are guys with deep pockets willing to own more than one team (with a long term view to selling), that should work ok, subject to good governance overall.

Reply #417283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, without being a smart arse, this is a serious question, you say everything will be much the same next season, with little to no changes.
Then aren't the new owners just taking over a league that will be unsustainable for a least one more season? Why would they do that? Don't the changes need to start right now for success?

Reply #417290 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm not, I'm just saying "league backing" has certain connotations that go along with that. (eg. giving the go ahead when all the T's aren't crossed and the I's aren't dotted)

Reply #417294 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wellington is ready to go.

- Venue sorted
- Backing from the Wellington City Council
- A wealthy business man who is enthusiastic as a kid in a candy store
- Saints already sell out 3500 to their games.
- Already have 24 sponsors (some big name ones). Which is an excellent arrangement given the coverage of the NZNBL is pretty small.

Reply #417295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Wellington is good to go, i say bring them in, would be great for the league imo.

Doesnt matter if they come before Brisbane or 2nd Melbourne, cant see how they affect each others bids.

Reply #417300 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree re Weillington if theyre ready to go. On top of that they will probably bring 14 televised home games to add to the Breakers momentum.

I get you Mick, but what Im talking about it is the league/owners actually running it to make sure things are done right.

The big issue is capital to get it off the ground, that's what needs to be added and (assuming split happens) there will be people running the league who can provide that and the expertise about running the club right.

Reply #417302 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

I agree with the two posts above let Wellington in they appear ready to go. Let Melbourne and Brisbane in next 2 years. In the longterm consider Newcastle, Hobart and Canberra

Reply #417303 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sitiveni is back. Well done again Sitiveni. You "know" that Clive Palmer has no interest in basketball. I am glad you know this.

Just hit me with that again will you? Just after I point out the obvious thing to you, that he partly funded Townsville women in the WNBL this year and bothered to attend the GF as a supporter of the team.

Reply #417317 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

HO, I guess he loves soccer too since he owned the GC United. He hates soccer and Hates Basketball. He may throw a little bit of cash around but he is only going to own a team in a major competition. His Ego couldn't handle anything else. Perhaps if basketball was as big as it was in the early 90's he would get on board as an owner, not because he likes basketball but he has an ego.

Reply #417323 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

HO do you not think that we didn't approach clive regarding our proposal in bringing back the Bullets, maybe go send Michael Brieley an email and ask him what Clive's response was.

Reply #417331 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

So I guess you won't be representing the United Australia Party anytime soon Sitiveni?

Reply #417340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who will run this new NBL?

Any guesses?

Slepoy?
Bendat?
Marvin?

Reply #417355 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

welligton sounds like it would be great for the nbl, also, sounds good about the melbourne owner selling do do for 200 million to consintrate on basketball, right?

Reply #417372 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

welligton sounds like it would be great for the nbl, also, sounds good about the melbourne owner selling do do for 200 million to consintrate on basketball, right?

Reply #417373 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

No BigAds, I wont be joining his party, very proud member of the LNP and Candidate in the upcoming election but some of my friends are now candidates in his party and I wish them well, they are very good people.

Reply #417381 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

So we are all in agreeable that we want a league with ALL our current teams and a Second New Zealand team, Bullets, Cannons (maybe under an AIS type scheme), the Falcons, Supercats, Tassie Devils and South Dragons.

But any desires to bring back Slingers, Rollers/Blaze or Razorbacks should be knocked on the head as being too hard.

Good luck to the future of the NBL and the success of all future bids and their sustainability.

Reply #417396 | Report this post

Callisto 82  
Years ago

"So we are all in agreeable that we want a league with ALL our current teams and a Second New Zealand team, Bullets, Cannons (maybe under an AIS type scheme), the Falcons, Supercats, Tassie Devils and South Dragons.

But any desires to bring back Slingers, Rollers/Blaze or Razorbacks should be knocked on the head as being too hard."

Dear Siltiveni,

Please admit you were being facetious.

A Brisbane team down the track, and maybe, just maybe, a second Melbourne team, might just work.

Sadly, though, Newcastle, Canberra (a supporter here from 1979) and GC have had more than one chance, and no more needs to be noted. They are never likely to float again.

A second Sydney team needs the Kings to have years of consolidation before such a proposal should ever be considered, and the Cats, as I understand it, do not have the appropriate infrastructure, nor are likely to do so.

Stability, and limited (cautious) expansion way down the line should be the limit.

The comments about the possibility of a Wellington (NZ) team sound intriguing, and definitely far more realistic than those suggested in the the short term for a rebooted Brisbane Bullets.

Let's not revisit a period not too long ago. Bigger ain't always better.

Reply #417403 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Callisto, I would love to see a Brisbane team and I have been willing to put some cash into it but atm there just isn't the financial support or corporate interest up here, executives are being extremely careful where they spend their $ and pouring it into a basketball team isn't anywhere near the top of their list infact its not even on their list. We should have done this as soon as Eddie handed the licence back, I think we could have got it done back then especially being not long after we won the title. Now it is going to be very hard, ive been involved in a few different groups with different models trying to get a Brisbane team back, I have found it easier getting people to donate to my campaign then becoming share holder in a Brisbane basketball team.

I hope I am wrong and I hope there is a team in Brisbane ASAP.

Reply #417409 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sitiveni, I can only call you out, its just a shame you make it so easy. I just want to clarify once more what you said.

You said, and I quote:

"so unless Clive Palmer has an interest in Basketball which I know he doesn't".

Seeing as you are about to become our nations President, is there a chance you could learn what having "an interest" means? It would be extremely helpful as you lead our republic into a glorious, single platform future.

Thanks for coming back, please keep posting. Trust Pauline is well.

Reply #417415 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

HO, funny you should mention Aunty Paulene. she is actually my Aunty. hehe

Ho, your not making much sense there champ. I don't have an interest in Soccer yet I was a sponsor for the past 2 years with the Roar. FYI not renewing sponsorship again.

President sounds pretty good, I was involved with Malcolm Turnbull and the republican movement.

Hows your husband Bob Brown!

Reply #417569 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Well Sitiveni, you do (or did) have an interest in soccer. You financially invested in it, for an outcome. That gives you an interest. it does not mean you like the product, neither does it mean you have an ongoing commitment. But in every context, it means you have an interest, in your case, a financial or business one.

Do you understand that principle? Because otherwise God help us all if you end up in Parliament.

Have the LNP accepted your single platform approach? Did you lay it out as adroitly to them as you did to us here, because that was a cracker of a couple of sentences strung together:

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/31072-brisbane-bid-team/#p408464

Reply #417585 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/8655351/Christchurch-mooted-as-second-ANBL-base

here's another Stuff article about Nick Mills (Saints CEO) and his desire for an NBL Franchise.

Reply #418173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to be Wellington, the fanbase is already there.

Reply #418183 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

that is also my thoughts, Christchurch struggles to support a NZNBL team let alone a NBL team that prob will struggle near the bottom for a couple of seasons while the local players adjust and they get some chemistry with new players etc

Reply #418200 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

A Wellington team makes a lot of sense, including making the swing to Auckland more cost-effective.

Wonder what we'd call it? The Woolly Double? The Sheep-shagger Swing, the Rainy Double, etc. :)

Reply #418206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The twun metch swung

Reply #418208 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Interesting comment - 'Mills said the standard of the ANBL slipped from being one of the world's top five leagues in the 1980s to outside the top 20'

Reply #418209 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Wonder what we'd call it?"

a loss and a win?

Reply #418228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Mills said the standard of the ANBL slipped from being one of the world's top five leagues in the 1980s to outside the top 20'

Shows he has no idea what he would be getting into.

Reply #418230 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

I think they have otago team for the ANBL for the 2015-16 season

Reply #496987 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754