The Small Balla
Years ago

36ers import options

What positions do you think the 36ers should sign there imports and who should they sign. Joey said he wanted a 3 who could put it on the floor. I was thinking DJ Kennedy playing for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. He has a great shot and handles and would come cheap also if they pair him with maybe Chris Warren or DeLeon starting at the point if Gibson moves to the 2, you would have two exciting imports that would fit in with Joey's uptempo style.

Topic #31587 | Report this topic

Pie Cart  
Years ago

All depends how Joey wants his team,a player to suit his up style game.

I be getting a small forward if weigh goes or a point guard if weigh stays.

Weigh goes we have more pints and able to get two imports.

Reply #417357 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

Would love to see CJ come back. Especially now his points have been dropped to 7. You know he's not after the big bucks atm as he just wants a chance to prove himself at this level and I think with the Wright coach he'd be a force in the league.

Reply #417359 | Report this post

The Small Balla  
Years ago

I would want 2 imports because I just cant see Weigh fitting in with Joeys style. Its time to move on, it is not like he wont get a job somewhere, Woolongong is chasing hard.

Reply #417360 | Report this post

jack horner  
Years ago

I liked chris warrens game

Reply #417374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love to see DJ Kennedy in a 36ers uniform, i reckon he would be a star, hopefully he is interested and affordable.

We can probably afford 1 star import and 1 cheapish import

My preferred combo is now Ebi Ere, or a scoring sg/sf DJ Kennedy (star import) could also fill this role, and John Williamson (cheapish) to play sf/pf to support Creek, Petrie in the forward rotation and as insurance if one were to have troubles or not be 100% in form straight away, reduce the pressure if u will. Probably dreaming about Ebi, but someone of his mould is ideal, a scoring athletic sg/sf next to Gibbo.

Watched Williamson play a VTB game from a couple of years back against CSKA and he looked very versatile and very good, only thing he seemed to lack is a outside shot, but looked good penetrating and from mid range, think Chris Williams skill set. He was rumoured a while back to want a 2nd crack at NBL, so if true and willing to take what we can afford im all for it, he looks good and was very well received when he was here pre-injury, mvp hype, so could be a cheap way to get a star. Playing French pro b at the moment, so doubt he is on mega bucks, so should be affordable.

My team is

PG Gibson/Cadee
SG Ere or Kennedy/Burdon
SF Williamson/Creek
PF Petrie/Pero or Dowdell
C Schenscher/Johnson

Williamson probably is more of a pf/sf, but could play sf imo just as athletic as Weigh or Wortho, has decent handles and an ok mid range game. I want to put plenty of minutes into Creek once he is in form, so Williamson would then slide upto PF or come off the bench, basically have a 3 forward rotation of Williamson, Creek, Petrie all playing 25-30 mins each. Kennedy or Ere (import) would also be able to play sf if needed. If we go for a star import pg ie Ervin they need to be a scorer next to Gibson and we may need more of a sg/sf 2nd ie Andrew Warren (playing NZ NBL so likely affordable) import instead of a sf/pf Williamson type.

Move Gibbo back to pg, i think that is his best position, use him as the Mee, not the Maher, he isnt a natural scorer imo.

Johnson off the bench as a spark plug scrorer, i think he would be well suited, and Johnson and Williamson would also combine well imo.

Burdon used as a cheap points/salary option, a local, good SEABL form, play a Ng type role. Would offer this spot to Daly first up, but is rumoured to be going to the Kings, so i went Burdon as plan b. Burdon being more of a shooter may be the better fit. If we lose Daly i hope Cadee turns out to be as good as his hype would hate to see another Madgen situation where local star goes elsehwere and flourishes and does way better than the guy the 36ers signed instead.

Plenty of imports around, and many likely fairly affordable others with NBL experience who could fit in ok at the right price are who i think are worth looking at Gilchrist, Ubaka, Dorsey, Andrew Warren, Ervin, Deleon, Patrick Sanders, Lisch, DeVries, Chris Warren, Shane Edwards.

You obviously wouldnt pay top dollar for many of those guys, but at the right price many of them could be useful, if we cant afford a mvp level sg/sf id go for Andrew Warren, good shooter, athletic, decent defender, would fill the role well at likely an affordable price.

Reply #417376 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

2 brand new never seen or scouted guys. Studs, 6ers need to make a statement in so many ways in this league for themselves there fans and the respect of the league. Wright has got 3 years, he needs to produce at this club, he already owes the club for giving him so many years on his contract.

Reply #417378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

going for 2 unknowns is a huge risk/reward game, can pay off but doesnt seem to work too often, id rather go for 1 proven guy and 1 fresh face to reduce the risk, but if we can get 2 good fresh faces then id be all for it, would hate to see another SC though.

Reply #417380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know that a couple of players would have John Williamson back in a heart beat. From what I've heard I want him back two.

Reply #417384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea he sounded awesome, also seemed to fit in well with the group, i was so sad when he got injured, not only for him, but also another what could have been situation.

Reply #417390 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

It's possible to get a fresh face out of college as an import who will be a strong player and exciting. A lot won't want to go to Europe, or make the NBA draft. If coaches here kept up with the college system a bit more than they seem to then the NBL could be a place for more guys to see as a viable option over Europe in the future.

Reply #417391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very true Ricey, but good/careful scouting required.

Guys like Ere, Williams, Draper, Rowland, Rychart, Warren and many more all came here straight from college and were good, others like SC have failed, but defiantly a talent pool to draw from. Ere and Williams were MVP level straight away, but most are ok, but need a bit more time to adjust/mature before they really hit there straps.

I personally would take a guy with D-league experience over a straight out of college guy in general, as D-league stats generally equate pretty close to NBL, assuming the player is used properly, where College doesnt always translate as well depending on what college/conference they are from and how they adapt to playing against older more physically mature guys. Also gives them that extra year or 2 of experience which also helps.

Ideally they are D-Leagues with a small taste of NBA, between 22-28 years in age, that type of player usually has a high level of success in the NBL ie Cedric Jackson.

No real way to get a sure thing, even guys with NBA experience dont always dominate NBL, but if you get the right one ie Brooks, Mee, Rose, Grace, Jackson you probably get the best possible for the NBL.

Reply #417395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lester Hudson is a D-leaguer with a bit of NBA experience who i reckon would do really well in the NBL if anyone could sign him, to me a guy with that level of experience is pretty well a sure thing, but possibly too expensive for NBL.

Reply #417397 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The Crocs all but had Kenny Hayes last preseason before they signed Jason Forte. Don't know what happened, because he would have been a shitload better than what they ended up with.

Hayes once dropped 52 in a d-league game and is currently playing in Israel. Worth talking to at least.

Reply #417400 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

From what Woolpert has come out and said since his firing, Withers and Forte were NOT his first choice. More like last resort. Withers wasn't even ON the SHORTLIST of big men that they had been recruiting.

Don't know if something went wrong in the negotiations between Smythe and the guys Woolpert wanted or if it was just a money thing.

The Crocs would be in a very different situation now if Woolpert got his men though. He'd still have a job, for one...

Reply #417405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny Hayes has some very good d-league numbers, could do very well in the NBL, would have been great to see.

Reply #417421 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The big they were looking at was near 7 foot. They were calling him a "man mountain", really big, chunky and athletic. He was well travelled in his career (suggesting more of a veteran) and was playing in the d-league at the time. Never got a name though. A whole lot of could have beens.

Reply #417422 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I remember figuring out who it was because they tweeted an age and a D-League team of two different guys and there was only two bigs that matched the ages between the two teams so it wasn't exactly likefinding a needle in a haystack (ie. tweet went something along the lines of "we have narrowed it down to two bigs, a 28 year old and a 23 year old, one playing in Maine and the other in Washington").

Needless to say, neither of those guys was named Curtis Withers.

And this was the day BEFORE they announced the Withers signing...

Reply #417427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i wonder what happened? Did the players just get better offers and change there mind? or did management stuff it up somehow?

Its definatly another what could have been....

Reply #417430 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

So, the comparison of NBDL to NBL still worries me.

These are stats from the 2012/13 season and both these players finished in Top 50 scorers for the season.

Just remember their performances here as not being all that startling!

PLAYER NAME GP MPG PTS FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG
Ron Howard 35 34 19 46% 28% 85% 4.1 4.7
Mark Tyndale 46 29 10 45% 36% 60% 4.9 3.7

Reply #417436 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's a different ballgame. Guys are mostly in the D-League to pad their stats and get a crack at the Big League.

Reply #417438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Tyndales stats are not too dissimilar, wasnt he around 12pts, 3 rebounds, 3 assists for the 36ers, which is close to his current D-league stats. Just was compared to Hodge who he was replacing and isnt a real dominant player, more of a solid all round contributor.

Howard wasnt used properly by Clarke, he basically plays as a scoring pg in the d-league and is given alot of freedom, where Clarke used him as a go stand in the corner and wait for the ball, not his role, i remember the odd occasion when he got the ball in his hands in the open court he looked good, but wasnt given the ball enough or the freedom to succeed. Just like CJ this year. To me Howard and CJ could have been real impact scorers in the NBL, just needed a different coach/system, had they played for Geordie i think they would have done well.

Compare many others and they generally are not too far apart, but yes it is also a different style of play.

Im pretty sure Ced Jacksons and Darnell Lazares D-league numbers are reasonably close to there NBL numbers, even if in some cases you take a few less points due to the NBL being a bit more defensive/a different role on the team and say average 15ppg in d-league is probably 10-12 in the nbl.

In general i think if they are putting up decent numbers in the D-league they will do well in the NBL, assuming they get a good coach,are used properly and have the right attitude of course.

Reply #417448 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

D league gives you idividual stats which is all well and good, but you'll have next to no idea what they can do in a team environment, and a lot of D league guys will think being Australia they can come here and be huge stars and walk over everyone.

College players are usually coming from a team system, so they can come in workin well with others while bringing their individual talents. You can milf these guys a bi better too, and if they turn out great as hoped/expected then you have a greater chance of keeping them in the future, like the NBL of old where imports wanted to stay in one city and live the rest of their lives.

Reply #417629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good point Ricey, i guess im just scared of getting another SC, i reckon we would have never picked him had he gone D-league first, as his college numbers were ok, but wouldnt have done aswell in the D-league. For me SC is by far the worse import i have seen.

Cedric Jackson came straight from the D-league, so its a very valid way to pick guys, but obviously you need the right attitude, etc, but thats a risk either way.

But i guess the flip side is guys like Chris Williams, Ebi Ere, and many more have come straight from college and done very well, so college is not a bad way to go if scouted properly.

I guess it comes down to scouting, both have loads of young talent who could do well in the NBL if picked properly.

Reply #417638 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Exactly, scouting is the key. It seems a lot of emphasis is placed on a stat line when bringing an import in, and its incredibly annoying.

Reply #417639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess with d-league games available on youtube, many college and european games also available online there should be no excuse for not having seen them play against decent competition imo, its amazing how guys like Howard get signed to stand in the corner and shoot and just watching one d-league game online would have told you thats not his game, i guess thats your point about recruiting from stat lines.

Reply #417656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754