Pallas De Jacks
Years ago

Pakenham Big V big spenders?

Found out last night that Pakenham is spending $32K on player payments.

They are only in D2. Teher is NO need to spend that amount of money in D2.

Also all the money went to 4 players from OUTSIDE the club.

I would hate to be a junior at a program that is trying to buy short term success.

Topic #31591 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Thats alot coin if thats true for a D2 club.Money could be better spent in other areas.

Reply #417459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair bit of cash being offered around to players that didn't end up signing there.

Reply #417480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you've got the money then why not spend it? They are doing great currently. Question does have to be asked is this just a short term thing or are they building long term?

How are their juniors?

Reply #417482 | Report this post

Doggers  
Years ago

Wow...wonder how they spending that with no sponsors?

All their players have to get player sponsors looking at their website.

Reply #417542 | Report this post

PDBA Committee  
Years ago

The PDBA Committee totally refute any suggestions regarding player payments of 32K.

Any enquires related to Pakenham and District Basketball Association should be forwarded to [email protected]

Regards
Committee - PDBA

Reply #417806 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

lol 32k for 4 players??? big deal thats fuk all

Reply #417849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PDBA, are you saying Jeff Reid and Topp and Ferrier are playing for free????

Reply #417852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Small club politics - leave it at the door.

Reply #417890 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

The one thing I hate in basketball is the objection or resentment towards players being paid.

In football at all senior levels players are being paid - depending on how financial the Club is and how good the players are the amount varies.

I'm hearing of Football Clubs in Metro Area & Country Area having total player expenses between $100k - $300k per season.

Whether these figures are true or not I'm not sure but when ex-AFL players drop back to Metro & Country Leagues they sure don't come cheap.

So Football Clubs probably spend 70% - 90% of their Income on the Players & Coach.

You wouldn't find any Baskteball Associations paying that percentage of their Income for players but thats because of Stadium Costs & Domestic Competition Expenses & League Expenses & Admin expenses & Referee payments soak up a lot of the Basketball Associations funds.

If you are going to make your Senior basketball teams elite then players should be paid - you should not have the players go out and do the fundraising for the Committee or be paying $500-$600 to the Club to play in a Big V or SEABL team.

It should be seen as a reward for making the senior team.

If some players at Pakenham are being paid then thats the Clubs choice and good for the players in my opinion - maybe Pakenham are looking at moving up a Division sooner rather than sit at the bottom for twenty years like some others.

Reply #417891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ good stuff.
Above average footy player will get some sort of cash in local footy.
Above average player in senior bball will get hounded by committee at some clubs for not paying on time.

Reply #417926 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Who cares if they spend 32k........Money makes the world go round and it is no big deal if clubs want to pay players!

I don't know why everyone carries on about it....they are men & women in a free market were if they are good enough and wish to can pursue the dollar as we all have bills and expenses to meet!

Reply #417937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHo on the warriors roster is getting payed? Id assume Topp, Reid?

Would the coach be on any coin?

Reply #418006 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

most coaches at Big V level get betwen $3 to $10k

Reply #418019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the big issue is that ther committee have lied and said that no one is getting paid.

I'm not opposed to players being paid either, but look after your own before you go outside.

Why would you want to buy a championship?? Wouldnt you rather earn one? I feel for the people that have been there for ages who have missed out on playing for the club cos PDBA have gone throwing money at people. Some who have missed out played juniors at the club and were important in getting the club into the Big V

Reply #418033 | Report this post

T pain  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with spending a bit of cash on players. However money should be spent on junior program's first as that will limit the need to go and recruit players who only come to the club for cash. I assure you Reid, Topp, and Ferrier will not be there in 5 years time. If they spent that money on their juniors they may have been able to develop some of their own players to be that good and perhaps got 5 or 6 guys who may have played 10+ years for the club at Big V level.

I hope Pakenham realise that this is not going to be a great idea long term. With that being said however, they are a lock in for the D2 premiership this year. If they were going to do this they should have gone into D1. Most clubs in D2 do not spend coin on players.

Reply #418061 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If you look across the Big V very few players stay at one club.

So this whole bring the juniors thru is a bit of a myth....use the kids to fill the bench and hopefully 1 or 2 can develop into starters (At which time you'll still have to pay them) and then you need to fill needs of the roster to compete.

Reply #418079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are they going with their juniors? Surely being on that urban fringe of development their numbers would be sky high?

Reply #418087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What juniors they have like 8 teams

Reply #418138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The committee haven't said that nobody is getting paid at all. They simply refuted the claim of $32K of player payments. Only the committee will know exactly what they have spent and go on em if it brings a greater exposure to their program.

Reply #418149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 teams for a plac that's one of the fast growing
Areas in the country!! There is no rep club
With in a 15/20km radius and they have 8
Teams!? You can tell where their priorities
Are

Reply #418162 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

Well my nephew currently plays VJBL for Pakenham and after talking to my brother I doubt that he will be next year. Very little gets spent on Juniors granted the Big V players have had a little bit more of a presence around the place but alot of junior parents feel this has all been kept hush hush. I feel that had the parents of juniors been informed that the club was planning on doing this they probably would have been ok with it. If other clubs do it I dont know why the club has kept it all seceret.

Reply #418234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's interesting that we have not heard from PDBA COMMITTEE in response to the question being asked. The members have a right to know who is getting paid and what they are getting and WHY.

I would suggest blowing that much money to win D2M is not a good reason.

The Pakenham Warriors are now call Payingthem Warriors in my mind

Reply #418396 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

It's interesting that we have not heard from PDBA COMMITTEE in response to the question being asked. The members have a right to know who is getting paid and what they are getting and WHY.

I would suggest blowing that much money to win D2M is not a good reason.

The Pakenham Warriors are now call Payingthem Warriors in my mind

Reply #418397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basic research fellows, 14 VJBL teams

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3911-0-0-0&a=CLUBS

Reply #418407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow 14 teams....

Lets now spend all the money

Reply #418435 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754