HO
Years ago

Who should control what in de-merged NBL scenario

I am interested in testing how far people think a de-merger should go.

The coverage so far has indicated that a de-merger will be amicable, but also that to comply internationally, BA will need to tick off the new structure.

If you were BA, what areas would you want to have a final rights say in or retain a formal interest in.

Here are some examples (I am sure there are dozens more):

- should BA have the right to approve or disapprove the rules under which the league plays (I believe this was the case pre 2009 btw)
- should BA have the right to offer the Boomers and Opals as part of any future rights deals
- should certain properties be carved off and sit solely with BA (airline deal for example - might not be the best example but still an example)
- should BA have a right to claim a share of revenue from the league in return for issuing the license to run the competition?
- should BA have the right to veto season timings to ensure a successful international calendar?

so for just 5 minutes, put aside your bias (one way or the other) and put yourself in Keneally's shoes. For the good and future good of the game (sport), what do or don't you want the NBL commercial heads to control?

Topic #31595 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

If BA is to have the right to the share of the revnue do they have the responsibility to share the losses?

Reply #417566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as an absolute priority the league needs to be commercially viable. there is no point having australian programs unless those athletes have the ability to make a living locally (if that's their choice) plying their trade.

international competition should not come first in regards to resourcing, if you get the pros right then international success will follow, albeit timing of competition needs to fit in with international competition.

Reply #417570 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

With the De-Merger I think BA only has rights to say the NBL is the best competition in its region and is merely a Host!

NBL teams will form a board and together this group will have accountability and responsibility of looking after the Leagues best interests.

Doubt any changes for the cap, import limit, points cap
But a question mark on how the current 8teams will contribute towards a prize money for the competition. A 3peat for nz should at least net them 1seasons pay in that time?

NRL prize was $400,000aud last season

This upcoming season should be great, I don't want to watch perth & nz in the final again. Sick of it!
Other teams have to stepup , its not like nz have a lebron that dunks over anybody whenever they like? They play as a team. Jackson is just slick, hard to guard but not impossible if you work as a team. Perth don't always rely on Lisch, Martin or Knight, they work as a team and play ball by what happens in front of them. Its not these two teams fault that the rest of the league were behind last season. They recruit hard, develope hard and reap the rewards. Hawks were there in OT but gaveup. The kings pushed the breakers in there semis. Tigers were getting better especially when they a massive game vs NZ .

Reply #417575 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ok, so at least Mick tried to answer the question...

To answer your question no. Revenue is not profit. Losses are not expenses.

If BA are being as commercially responsible as people here have whinged about them not being, then they would need to set up some form of licensing agreement for the clubs to operate the league under.

The commercial outcomes of that agreement could be a straight up fee the league pays the sport annually, or an ongoing revenue streamed tied to % of revenue - both of which are common in IP licensing.

Can I ask another question of you Mick; are you comfortable with the new organisation having unfettered control to do what it wants with the major mens basketball product in this country - so not strings attached?

Reply #417583 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No.

Reply #417587 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

what Paul said.....NO.

just in case Clive Palmer decides he likes basketball.

Reply #417625 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Keneally knows less about basketball than most people in this forum.

Reply #417632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as she can promote "equality" she'll be happy.

Reply #417637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO... The New League management should NOT have unfettered control, the framwork of the league should remain in the control of BA and as such the league should be branded as an extension of BA.

Reply #417646 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, not overly comfortable with clubs running rampant. I think there are benefits to some level of de-merging, but not a complete detachment and disregard for history, grassroots, etc.

I wondered if BA could build up their national database and 'sell', license or trade some level of access or interaction with junior basketball? Of course, it's just as likely that a heady NBL could ignore that.

Reply #417652 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'm the first to know I don't have a grasp on what BA actually do right now but as for what I want BA to control; that will undoubtedly be refereeing as I want them to give us the highest quality of referees from both Australia and New Zealand.

I'd like BA to be able to give feedback to ALL the clubs when it comes to travel expenses, if they can have some exclusivity with a certain hotel chain that all clubs stay at during the season then that's fine by me. Also if BA can get a lower price for court rental then that would be great.

I don't want BA to be the entity doing stadium deals/accommodation etc. but I want them to be there offering any assistance they can.

I'm not 100% sure on what I want NBL.tv to be and who operates it. But I do want it to be as part of NBL and WNBL coverage here on out... I'm just not sure who should be getting monies from it and who should be paying commentators, crew and other staff.

Basically I want a very strong NBL and I want to be able to watch my Perth Wildcats at home and away and ALL other NBL games and I want to have pride that the league I love grow strong can bring back clubs of the past and a new generation of basketball fans can enjoy our local league.

Reply #417673 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I say let them have at it. I think there is enough knowledge around the league now with guys who know the mistakes that have been made in the past to avoid those pitfalls. As long as the right people from the right NBL clubs are putting the foundations in place (and looking at the four guys "steering" this, they are). It all hinges on getting the initial "constitution" right, whether BA has a say or not doesn't really matter.

Reply #417684 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

HO - I like the questions. Don;pt have answers, as I'm not inside the tent, but here are my thoughts.

I preface this with the observation that BA probably sees the NBL as a combination of development league and a promotional vehicle for the sport of men's basketball in Australia. Much like the way I think FFA uses the soccer A-league. KK said the other day that BA don't expect any Boomers to playing in the NBL in a couple of years' time and I feel the same. Players will develop to and in the NBL and then decide whether to head overseas for the big bucks, unless the NBL becomes successful enough to drive large salary increases without bankrupting any clubs. Players getting too old to continue overseas will return to play out their careers in the NBL.

"- should BA have the right to approve or disapprove the rules under which the league plays"
Yes, within limits. Probably to the extent of on-court rules but not for operational things like salary caps, points system, club ownership requirements.

"- should BA have the right to offer the Boomers and Opals as part of any future rights deals"
Not sure what you mean here.

"- should certain properties be carved off and sit solely with BA (airline deal for example - might not be the best example but still an example)"
No. I support a full split of commercial arrangements. The new league should not have to wonder about the implications for BA's programs of commercial arrangements and vice versa. That's part of the problem. That doesn't stop NBL and BA entering into an alliance or joint agreements for some commercial arrangements. That happens all the time in business and still allows the parties to step away if it becomes better for them to do so. NBL could even subcontract BA or vice versa, for some things (e.g., to supply suitably qualified referees).

"- should BA have a right to claim a share of revenue from the league in return for issuing the license to run the competition?"
Yes - but I would prefer this to happen through some form of licence arrangement. e.g., annual licence fee negotiated between the parties and they might look at revenue projections in setting the fee.

"- should BA have the right to veto season timings to ensure a successful international calendar?"
Difficult one but I think no. None of the current Boomers playing overseas are in leagfues who have BA settign their timetables. Similarly for the juniors playing at colleges overseas. As per above, in a few years, most NBL players won't have international commitments to worry about. There may be a residual issue for juniors who've made it to the NBL and second or third tier Boomers who will only play in friendlies. If NBL is to be successful, it needs to have flexibility to run its season and games when they will make the most money, through ticket sales and media rights. I wouldn't want to sacrifice that opportunity for meaningless international games. If there are Boomers playing in the NBL, they would have the clout to negotiate contracts with clauses allowing them to participate in selected tournaments and Boomers' camps. If they can;t negotiate that, see above re Boomers currently playing overseas.

Reply #417735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754