independent
Years ago

Gibson a 36er for two years with an option for 3

It's official
Signed today, the delay was due to him negotiating a longer contract

Topic #31598 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Boti confirmed this on Twitter too by the way.

Reply #417581 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Coach and core players all locked in, now for last couple pieces and we are set. Things are looking good and on the up for first time in a while. All things considered, the management has seemingly taken control of the club now. Lets hope things keep positive

Reply #417588 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last couple pieces is a good change from "last couple places"... ;)

Reply #417591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news! Have the building blocks now for the rest of the off-season. Now to get the correct imports. Looks like it will be a talented team again but after last year, I will believe it when I see it.

Reply #417594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very interesting this year. The league has been Perth's and NZ's the last couple of years. Looks like a couple of coaching changes and some player changes so who knows what they will end up looking like.

Reply #417595 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Johnson / SCHENSCER
Petrie / PERO
Williamson* / LEWIS
Kennedy*. / CADEE
Gibson / DALY

69 points all up

Reply #417597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williamson is a PF

Reply #417599 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Great work by both parties to negotiate a long term deal.

I think Gibbo was unhappy under Clarke, even if he was well liked. Seemed frustrated with the game plan.

Now retain Weigh.

Reply #417600 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

@Moneyballer - 36ers also have Creek

Reply #417604 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #417606 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

@Anon Williamson can play both the the 3 & 4
@natwhereyouat Lewis would be Creeks injury replacement

Reply #417607 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I never seen Williamson play , only training here
Clarke started him at 5 , but Wade Helliwell destroyed him . Looks like a 3/4 to me , but ya know I could be wrong .

Reply #417608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williamson could not play SF in the NBL, Ive seen him play. Wright wants a swingman who can handle the ball, it wont be JW.

Reply #417611 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Get over the Williamson fantasy! The guy might have played well at training but so did Scott Christopherson! So who knows how he would go at NBL Level. Wright usually picks great imports so I will trust him in his selection.

Reply #417613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King James totally different situation re Williamson and christopherson. Williamson has played good solid pro basketball and some players rate Williamson as MVP quality were christopherson not at all.

Reply #417614 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Joey brought in Ira Clark and was a big fan of Diamon Simpson's game here one night
Just sayen i like his taste .

Reply #417615 | Report this post

RT  
Years ago

Has anyone herd any whispers as to who the assistant coach will be?

Reply #417621 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

' M-a-h.e,r '

Reply #417626 | Report this post

RT  
Years ago

I hope you are right. It will be good to see if he can take the next step in a few years.

Reply #417627 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

@Moneyballer you expecting Creek to re-injure? He has said he'd be ready for round 1.

Reply #417630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Moneyballers team, with Creek in for Lewis.

Basically the team i have also suggested

IMO Williamson could play sf/pf in the NBL, more of a PF than a sf probably but could play it ala Redhage, Wortho type. I also want a sf/pf as Petrie and Schenscher both battled a few back problems so Williamson would be great cover for them if required,which i suspect will be very useful at some stage they are not getting any younger, and both have had a few niggles for a few years now.

Creek when back and firing would warrant heaps of minutes imo so not a huge need for a import sf, especially if we get a import like dj kennedy who could play sg/sf, between Creek, Williamson, Kennedy sf would be more than covered and would give the team a few different looks.

But as said above Wright has a good eye for imports so i trust his selections, but these are good suggestions and likely affordable.

Offer Kennedy/Ebi 150k, and Williamson 50-80k (what i reckon we could afford) and that would put us in the ball park imo, could end up with 2 MVP level imports to go with aussies like Gibson, Creek, Schenscher,Petrie, Johnson with a good coach its PLAYOFF TIME!!

Reply #417634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williamson costs a lot more than that.

Reply #417636 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The good news continues. No reason why anyone would have 2nd thoughts about becoming a season ticket member now. Just need Weigh to sign now to make it 3 out of 3.

Reply #417643 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't believe Maher will be an assistant coach next season. (I almost don't care who it will be. Just happy that some promising pieces and a decent coach have been signed.)

Reply #417651 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I like weigh but if it means bringing in a quality import its a cut we should make.

Reply #417655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to grab two imports for sure. And they need to become 2 extremely key players. Smyth's run of imports was stellar for a long time. Brooks, Mee, Farley, Rychart, Garrison (knew his role and fit perfectly). Even Charles Thomas was decent. The imports over the last 5 or so years since Julius Hodge have just flat out been bad. Joey has had success bringing imports to Australia, so hopefully we can grab some decent guys who can make this team into a playoff team, because like it or not, Clarke was a horrible coach but he wasn't the sole reason the team finished last: the players were pretty bad last year too...

Reply #417663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed i also think we need 2 imports, hopefully Joey can find us the next Brooks/Mee combo

Reply #417669 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

What position did Mee play.

Reply #417705 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Hodge was one of Smyth's

Reply #417706 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Don't forget that Joey has always had money to play with.

Reply #417707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He got Deleon cheap.

Reply #417719 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Don't forget that Joey has always had money to play with."

As far as I recall Joey's team has never been over the salary cap. So that means he has had the same money to play with that he has now (Unless the Salary cap has changed since when he was coaching)

Reply #417744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide had a miserable season this year, but seems determined to have the same player line-up this year.

That's not a complaint, but it does indicate that the club believes the result last year was not due to the players.

If that is the case, then they are saying the result was due to the coaching.

Reply #417750 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm back on board and becoming a season ticket member again

I like the coaching choice, the current core of players and await the final slots likely imports.

Joey picks good imports, so I have faith he'll pick some good ones, treat them well and use there strengths.

Wait and see who gets an offer import wise.

Reply #417813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@King James you 're kidding right. Bullets were estimated to be 2.5 times over the cap. Role players were reported to be on 300k

Reply #417814 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"@King James you 're kidding right. Bullets were estimated to be 2.5 times over the cap. Role players were reported to be on 300k"

Was this actually proven by the NBL? I very much doubt that role players were on $300k.

Reply #417816 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I don't claim to have won the prize already
only one can win first prize
but what I do is I don't look back
I just keep pressing on .

Reply #417853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was estimated they spent about $1.6 million on their 2007 championship team by agents and coaches. The average that year was around $1.2 mill by the same estimation.

Reply #417857 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Love the way people can put a figure on the amount spent by the 2007 Bullets and yet the NBL didn't find any evidence of it. Even better still, we are all experts except the NBL on individual salaries. Love to know where this information comes from and why the NBL can't find it. Maybe its because it doesn't exist.

Reply #417889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, players talk, agents talk, etc.

Reply #417911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti Nagy did an article where he spoke to player agents and coaches getting their estimates of rosters' wages. From memory the agents thought the average roster was $1.3mill and coaches thought $1.1.

Why didnt the NBL find teams who were cheating? Because they were a three-man office who didnt have the resources to investigate.

Reply #417923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW - salary cap was something like $780K back then.

Reply #417924 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:24 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754