Anonymous
Years ago

Thoughts on new Pasadena by-laws?

Just curious on what are people thoughts on Pasadena's new by-laws
I think some are good but some are a bit harsh even though I understand why they are doing it that way
They are as follows for those who don't know
- no shot clock - I think this is good if your winning but unsure about it if your losing but they helped by adding the next rule
- clock stopping in last 2 mins - this is good so it seems more like a basketball game and not just for fitness and fun
- sin bin (5 mins) on tech fouls - love this rules I'm always nice to the refs and its a better punishment for those tools out there
- 10 points for no scorer
- 5 points for player scorer
- 5 points for incorrect uniform
All these I think are harsh but I see they are trying to improve the competition and this is all they can do at the moment

Just wanted others thoughts

Topic #31604 | Report this topic

Pie Cart  
Years ago

Lot has changed in last few months there,new manager,new UIC ,lot of experienced referees gone,my friend plays there Monday night games,lot of changes such as mentioned is a bit harsh,from what my friend tells me ,lot of teams will get sick of it and leave,it's social basketball for Petes sake,sin bin for 5 mins bit like rugby.basketball doesn't need this,what will it achieve in long term.they should focus on referees development with the current stock need to read rules.

Reply #417666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a referee for many years now
About the referee development, the different rules don't affect as we do many competitions and tournaments as due to a shortage of referees
And therefore these rules will not hinder any development
Now go back ahead complaining about what you don't understand

Reply #417674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol some umpires just make em up. Sin bin is a horrible rule and would prob lead to more techs from the sin bin aha..
Not sure why using shot clock for social comp anyway?

Reply #417704 | Report this post

DH love child  
Years ago

Well if you dont act like dickheads while playing social basketball you wont have to worry about it then will you.

If your team only has 5 players it will make you think twice before acting like a tool and leaving your team short with only 4 players.

Reply #417718 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Not sure why using shot clock for social comp anyway?"

or are they implying that there is no imaginary shot clock? If so that would normally be a horrible rule but since the clock stops in the last 2 minutes a team can foul to put them at the line without the clock running out. So its not a bad rule.

Reply #417748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I know is the Thursday team numbers are falling

Reply #417754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@DH love child
Ejecting dickheads and making them play with 4 does the same thing doesn't it?

@KingJames
Umps Refs although not great at counting use the shot clock just assumed it meant the physical electonic version. I'm not a fan of fouling to win in the dying minutes it's a legitimate tactic but it's ugly and borders unsportsmanlike, if you can't win it with skill and you get desperate good luck.. But hey I can see the issue/relationship it's a Sturt run competition :P

Reply #417758 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Wednesdays comp is totally full. We can't get a team in. We play there mondays and i think the rules are good. 10 points for no scorer is a bit harsh but its the same for everyone so hard to complain.

If our players get a tech they get sent to the bench no matter, but thats an internal rule we have so no change really. I think its a good rule for those teams that need controlling as people say its social so just play bball, no need for language or dangerous play.

At Unley if you get a tech its 6 points and once you get 2 techs you miss a game, 5 techs and your gone from the comp.

Reply #417766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a ref in Vic i like the sin bin rule. The problem with it is that you do get some ref's who will T up a player for very little and as such you can get a big penalty for a small indiscretion.

Reply #417957 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754