aussieboomers4eva
Years ago

Network Ten Bid for Rights to Broadcast Cricket

Channel Nine may be closer to losing the television rights to international cricket in Australia than at any time in the past 33 years, after their rival Ten made a bold combined bid for both international and BBL matches as a way to revitalise the recently moribund network.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/634611.html

What do you think this may mean to our beloved NBL and their hopes of improved coverage?

Topic #31608 | Report this topic

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Basketball as Ch 9s major sport!
Perhaps not

Reply #417796 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

go back to the ABC i say.

gotta start somewhere.

Reply #417867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree ABC is the way to go!

Reply #417871 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Channel ten will ruin the cricket coverage, they have more than destroyed their "all sport channel" so unless they go back to showing sport 24 hours a day on ONE then I don't see much hope for more NBL games.

Reply #417872 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I hope to god Channel 10 doesn't get the rights. The only thing they've done somewhat right is the motor sport. When they stopped caring about AFL their coverage turned crap, IPL they didn't bother showing, Swimming got relegated, basketball got screwed twice, netball they bailed on. Ten have the reputation of very easily not caring and doing a crap job of sport. They'll try to start with a bang, and in the mid-last few years of the contract when they realise the cricket isn't as profitable for them as they thought they'll cost cut and stop caring about the coverage knowing they'll bail.

Channel Nine on the other hand do an amazing job of the cricket, they actually develop technology to improve the broadcasting coverage. They have plenty of commentary rotations and put the effort in for the lunch break show and make sure to show the coverage on GEM when the news is on. Their pre-match coverage is great as well, particularly their theatrical trailers. No other channel comes close at doing cricket around the world, not even Sky in the UK.

Reply #417875 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Channel 10 will mess it up they once had a sports channel now its just shit. Abc is a good start eventually lead to a deal with foxtel and find some GOOD commentators

Reply #417895 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Well said KET. Any sports head should be very wary of a channel 10 bid given their terrible reputation of giving up on the sport half way through their contract. This has been the case for many years with many sports.

Reply #417900 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Don't fret folks, I expect Cricket Australia know that Nine needs cricket over summer and that cricket is best to stay with Nine. They'll simply be in a position to press Nine for a little bit more money if Ten are really serious about bidding. Cricket will come out in front.

I wouldn't be surprised to also hear Ten making a play for the Aussie Open when the opportunity presents.

I don't believe Ten really want these things, I think they just want to make them more expensive in the hope it might weaken the other network's programming commitments.

Imagine Carfino calling the cricket

Reply #417904 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

As a Network 10 shareholder I hope they get the cricket rights at the right price, however I see a lot more value getting the Australian Tennis Open. more chance to sell advertising and also promote the key ratings TV shows coming up. I also would rather see 10 become the home of motorsport, get the V8's back and show the F1, Moto GP and V8's. they don't need to chase a lot of sport and then get their programming sorted at a cost base which enables revenue to be greater then expenses and therefor make me a Dam Profit and pay my arse some Dividends

Reply #417905 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Ten should be the favourite to win it. As they made a $500 million bid and I think CA needs a change of broadcasters which they should do

Reply #418338 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Cricket Australia launched legal action against Channel Nine to figure out what the status of the Big Bash League is. Nine are not happy jan!

Reply #418347 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sitievni, I though you owned Network Ten? Along with the Dodgers and a part share in Wimbledon FC?

Reply #418351 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:00 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754