Jack Toft
Years ago

R6 ABL Action

Mavs - Sturt
Women: MOTR. Mavs are having a great season and an undefeated Sturt see every game as winnable. Picking a winner will be trickier than unlocking a Canadian i-phone. Better make sure the refs are on the ball. The key to beating the Mavettes is controlling Tess. I expect Sturt will be all over her like coppers on a hydroponic drug crop. In the end the refs will be tired of blowing their whistles and Sturt should remain undefeated.
Men: Well, well Sturt finally enter a game against someone they should be able to beat. Mavs need to get a wriggle on, or else be accused of making up the numbers this year. No banjo playing tonight as Sturt take the honours.

Flames-Lions
Women: For the Lionesses aspiring to play WNBL, tonight they will see the standard that is needed. At the Mars dining hall tonight. Roasted Lion. If Simon strolls on court with a pith helmet, run for cover.
Men: Fans of ABL will be in for a treat as The Millard & Miller show hits court. Lions men cruzing nicely this season and while the Flames have been up there and competitive, they won't be adding to their home wins tally tonight. The Flames team looks stronger on paper, but the Lions seem to have a lot of things falling into place for them.

Tigers - Eagles
Women: My heart says Tigers, but my head says Eagles. The Eagles seem a little bland this year without any scoresheet controversies. Tigeresses are playing better than expected and while an Eagles win should be on, if there’s going to be an upset, then this is the game.
Men: "Welcome to Morphett Vale" That’s what Rashad will be saying to his former teammates tonight. For a team written off at the start of the season the Tigers are going nicely. Both teams have beaten South and the hapless Sturt, but Forestville have won by just that little bit more. The Eagle should land tonight, but The Rash knows their plays and so a delicious upset beckons.

Cats - Rockets
Women: Another classic North-West arm wrestle looms. All the Bearcat’s wins have been away and have lost 3 straight at home. North have been quietly doing what they do best and will make sure the Cats keep counting home losses on one hand. Norf to crush their hopes like an empty iced coffee carton in the carpark.
Men: North supporters are salivating at their new signing. Belly’s Bearcats seem unstoppable but The Peach might have other ideas and may even offer to tuck DJ’s pants for him, then again maybe not. This game is now looking a whole lot tighter and the Bearcats will be under more pressure than Andrew Johns and Tommy Waterhouse at a Steward’s inquiry. If Westies drop a game this season it’ll be this one. They shouldn’t, but Westies fan better wear the brown jocks just in case.

Warriors - Pathers
Women: The Xenas (Warrior Women) got a win last round and South are still looking for that elusive first up win. Both teams are putting up similar shots on goal in a game, but I like to look at a team’s OR difference because it shows how hungry they are around the key. Panthers are -14 for the season and the Xenas are -5 for the season. That’s good enough for me. Xenas to get this one at home.
Men: Panthers opened up their account last round, but with Al’s men on the warpath, they will find it difficult to sink their claws into another victory so soon. Resurgent Warriors will reward the faithful home crowd as they seek to cement a top 3 spot.

We all know Sunday is Mother’s Day and so in honour of Mother’s Day, a little “Dad joke” for you budding tongmasters to tell around the BBQ .....
“Did you hear about the wheelchair basketballers that have been banned after they tested positive for WD40?” Yes, I know that was pathetic …that’s why it’s a Dad Joke.

Topic #31619 | Report this topic

Rock  
Years ago

Loved the 'no banjo playing tonight' bit...

I had not previously thought of the Mavs boys as backwoods Tennessee heritage.

The Sturt lads better not squeal like pigs!!!

Reply #417973 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If you're from Mount Barker, you're a Mountain Man. I have always assumed that Mountain Men like banjos and Mountain Women.

Reply #418010 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

L o
Love it Jack, just love the read very week

Reply #418105 | Report this post

Cam  
Years ago

Always a quality read!!

Reply #418142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern people need to control there kids and stop them running near the court with a ball while the game is on!!!

Reply #418430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

west need to clean the toilets
where was Desi & Jess, leaving for another club?
men were too good for north who were ill discliplined

Reply #418437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrior women over the panthers in what was one of he lowest skilled games ever.

Reply #418467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ They were told to walk and don't let the door hit your arse so the rumour mill speaketh..

Reply #418477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that true about Jes and Des?? West should never have taken them on.

Reply #418481 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

477, A reliable source?

Reply #418482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm waiting for confirmation but the story told sounded legit and fed of the back of the centrals issues.

Reply #418483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon, who has the facts??

Reply #418485 | Report this post

Slickster  
Years ago

I have heard that one walked out on the Wednesday followed by the other on the Thursday, both didn't play last night didn't seem to affect west by the look of the box scores. West have themselves to blame for any issues caused trying to seek a short term fix

Reply #418486 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It would be a shame if true. Jess was up there with the awards last season or so and so a loss of someone with great on court skill only lowers the standard of the game played.

Reply #418490 | Report this post

Well done  
Years ago

If it's true, well done to West for standing up against two players who think they above the team and game.

Reply #418495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is it one player who causes the trouble and the other supports their partner?

Reply #418496 | Report this post

lion tamer  
Years ago

Cummins & Mahony.......oh dear,oh dear,oh dear

Reply #418534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lion tamer, your club. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Reply #418546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the forestville spectator that spent the night abusing southern tigers players needs to pull her head in, saw her in action at the state champs coaching under 12 girls, disgraceful behaviour after winning that and showed as much class saturday night!!

Reply #418555 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

So I was wondering, how accurate is Mr.Toft with his predictions...

Men's:
Rd1: 2/5
Rd2: 3/4
Rd3: 4/4
Rd4: 4/6
Rd5: 5/6
Rd6: 4/5

Men's 22/30

Women's:

Rd1: 4/5
Rd2: 4/4
Rd3: 1/4
Rd4: 6/6
Rd5: 4/6
Rd6: 4/5

Women's 23/30

Need a bankroll for the weekends Jack?

But seriously, tipping at 75% is pretty good, but surely this has to say something about the quality of the league and its predictability compared to Jack being Rainman?

Reply #418567 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'm no Tommy Waterhouse.......

I do my best at guestimating the result and sometimes I throw a wild tip out there that will motivate some teams to prove me wrong!

I knew the Men's Norwood-Centrals would be tight. Norwood have been unlucky this year and Centrals have had a great start. To be a serious top 5, Centrals need to bag those types of games. Like I said, Norwood looked better on paper.

I was way out in the Women's Mavs-Sabres game, but I did say controlling Tess was the key. I was expecting that as soon as she had the ball Sturt would be all over her. As it was she had 0 fouls, but 4 fouls on her. I note that Tarran had 7 fouls on her so I thought that would be the state of play.

Gee R3 women's was a bad one for me, and yes, I think the league is such that teams 2 to 8 could get beaten by anyone on the day.

Reply #418581 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:08 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754