Isaac
Years ago

Erik Burdon trialling with Wildcats

From Boti's Brad Hill article:

One of his teammates at the Pioneers, guard Erik Burdon, is trialling for a roster role with Perth Wildcats.

Burdon is averaging 19.1 points, 3.1 assists and 2.7 rebounds in the SEABL.

In 2008 at North Adelaide Rockets, he won the Woollacott Medal as the fairest and most brilliant player in the SA State League.
Long been a fan of Erik's game. IMO, should've seriously considered him the second Ng dropped out of the NBL.

Topic #31625 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you tell us more about him? Aussie? Import? Age? Position? Height?

Reply #418016 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Burdon is solid...but not quite good enough for the NBL.

Reply #418017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe not a big contributor, but as a 1pt player thats a good fit. Thought he'd already signed. Also congrats to Peach and DJ for the call up to Boomers camp.

Reply #418022 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Rubbish!

Whenever he came on court when Erik was at the Sixers things happened. He was a scoring machine and had a soft touch outside the arc. Have a look at his stats broken down in a per minute play. I could only find his 2009 stats, which were:

9 games @ 3.2 mpg, 2.4 ppg @ 58.3%, 3P% 75% FT 100% (2/2) 0.4 rpg, 0.2 asp, 0.4 spg.

Extrapolated to say a 10 mpg position (a #8 or #9 man?):

7.6 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 0.7 apg, 1.4 spg

He would be a very handy addition to a squad. I would be very disappointed if the Wildcats picked him up and he did a Madgen and caned the Sixers senseless on Brett Maher Court.

Reply #418023 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I like Isaac am also a fan, i wanted the 36ers to get him to replace SC last season once it was clear SC wasnt going to work out, also think he would be a good fit as back up sg this season behind a import sg with Cadee and Gibbo playing pg.

Come on sixers dont lose all the SA talent interstate, he isnt necessarily going to be a star but could play a 'Ng type' role imo. I would like us to have atleast one of Daly or Burdon on our roster next season.

As for height, position, etc off the top of my head he would be a 6'3ish shooting guard, prob between 25 and 30 years old. A good shooter and decent at handling the ball, etc, pretty sure he won the Wollacott a couple of years ago and is doing well in the SEABL. A good, cheap back up sg imo.

Reply #418024 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Also, im sure most 36ers fans would agree, all the best with the trials Erik, hope you get a NBL spot, i hope its with the 36ers, but if the Wildcats snap you up, all the best to you, i will watch with great interest.

Reply #418027 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Sounds like a very good move for the Wildcats if they can swing it - 1-3pts for what looks like a solid bench addition. Need to find a few like this given how many points we already have nailed down with our starters.

Reply #418028 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Guys he can't guard a chair! That was the knock on him not his shooting!

Not sure how the i don't play D thing will go down in Perth

Reply #418029 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I'll take a bench player who can't guard but can shoot - there were times during the year that being able to throw a player like that into the mix would have been very, very handy.

Reply #418030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also congrats to Peach and DJ for the call up to Boomers camp.

were did this information come from?

who else is in the squad?

Reply #418031 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Situation brought up a good point elsewhere, who is trialling him? No head coach appointed, the incumbent is on holidays, his main assistant is already working out his own squad for his new team and coaching SBL, 2nd assistant is coaching SBL, 3rd assistant is overseas with the GM, all the players are either out of the state visiting home or overseas.

Reply #418037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't guard a chair? You gotta be kidding me. He is as solid as they come defensively, has great shooting range, works his ass off and is a top guy to boot.
He was simply one who slipped through the NBL cracks and unlucky not to have been picked up after the Smyth debacle. Can contribute straight away to any NBL program. Perth aren't going to fly him over unless they have serious intentions of picking him up. Another SA player playing interstate, gee some of the previous coaches here have a lot to answer for.

Reply #418041 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can you tell us more about him? Aussie? Import? Age? Position? Height?
6'1" or 6'2" guard who can shoot and seemed OK under NBL pressure and committed to trying on D (whether others think he can defend or not). Mid 20s by now? Not a particularly strong build. Could do OK as a 9th or 10th man.

Oldish profile and photo on MVP's site: http://mvpsports.com.au/player.cfm?id=69

Reply #418042 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Anonymous.... how did you find out Peach/DJ made the Boomers camp?

Reply #418058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's clear now for the Cats

Knight (10)
Redage (10)
Martin (8) contract points
Import/Lisch (10)
Import/ wortho (10)
=48

Ellis (3)
Waggstaff (7) contact points
Barrlett (5) contract points
Hire 6
Burdon (1)
= 22
All up 70 points

Best 5 in league decent bench depends on how Ellis turns out

Reply #418082 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Silencer makes a good point. Resigning guys like hire etc would be no- brainers, but otherwise your messing with the coaches flexibility. The fact he's a 1-point player must heavily weigh into the decision-making without a coach calling the shots

Reply #418083 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think Martin is a 9 on current points, a 10 if he were to resign.

Does anyone know if Burdon would be a 3 or a 1? I've seen both figures floating around.

Reply #418084 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Burdon is being trialled, nothing concrete at all.

Reply #418086 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Enjoyed Eriks game as well, wish he had been give a better run at the 6ers

Reply #418091 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

We have a stacked frontcourt so the chance of signing wortho has gone from slim to none, only backup big spot available. Let's assume Burdon signs and he is 1pt player then you have:
Martin 9
lisch/import 10
hire 6
redhage 10
knight 10

Burdon 1
Bartlett 4
wagstaff 8
Ellis 3?

That adds up to 61. Have enough room for Worthington so a remote possibility. Or try and get a will Hudson type to give us a good back up for knight.

Reply #418092 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

For Anon@8082's plan to work, we would need the starting five to play serious minutes, which the probably wouldn't be able to do under last year's defensive system. So, I guess we'll see what coach and philosophy we'll be looking at next year.

Reply #418093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Wildcats want dunks they could sign Shane Edwards. He's only 9pts and can play 3-5, especially defensively. He was close to best dunker in the league last year.

Reply #418096 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Whoa, didn't realise he was off contract. Loved watching him go to work.

Reply #418098 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Watched him all the way thru juniors, the thing that set him apart was even under pressure he always had time.
When he got the few odd minutes with the 36ers, was rarely caught out , and now with seabl experience would be a good get!

Reply #418101 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If Erik became a Wildcat, could I be turned to the Dark Dark Side?

Reply #418102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Undersized and lacks physical conditioning. There would 20 or so SEABL players ahead of Eric. Depends what Perth looking for though. I would think with the NBL's min wage being what it is, most SEABL players would not find it feasible to sign one year deals and disrupt their current full-time jobs.

Reply #418124 | Report this post

JonT  
Years ago

Anon 124

He's a 6' 1"/2" guard. How is he undersized.

Reply #418127 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's not exactly nuggety.

Reply #418134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or exceptional quick

Reply #418135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Built like a twig, lucky to be a genuine 6'0". Would get smashed up if he had to defend some of the bigger P'G's and would need space to get a shot off against them.

Reply #418137 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

If Burdon is 188cm's then there is 21 players in the league that are his height or smaller.

Adelaide had 3 players his height or smaller
Gibson 188cm
Cadee 186cm
Daly 186cm

The league isn't really tall at the point guard position.

Reply #418140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he a point guard though, or a small guard who can shoot?

Reply #418166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Erik is a great player. Would be able to play a role for any team if he had to. Just has to be given a chance. He is between 6'2 and 6'3 and can shoot the lights out as well as having a soft finish near the hoop. The knock on him not being able to guard a chair is complete rubbish. He is a good defender with quick hands and quick feet. I have seen him give many NBL players a bath defensively so people commenting on his defense are guessing. He is known for his instant offense if anyway who knows the game watched him they would see he is bloody good on defense as well.

Reply #418260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ looks like Eric has joined the conversation

Reply #418295 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Let's hope another "overlooked" South Aussie gets a chance to play NBL.
Was always a tough competitor while hard not to admire how he made things look so easy.
Look at his positives, he wouls eat up the ABA if still playing for North

Reply #418301 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Isaac, 28 years old this year (have I really been on 36ers Forum / Hoops for 10 years?).

Same age group as Newley, Magden, one year ahead of Brad Hill.

Reply #418328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the fact that people are talking about his game without knowing what position Erik plays means you must have never seen him play, He's naturaly a SG atleast that was his position at North Adelaide and 36ers, I haven't watched him play in SEAbal but you can look at the stats to get an idea of his game. Someone was saying he's slow For being slow Im pretty sure you dont get 10/10 from the freethrow line in a game being slow in SEABall, for him to be getting fouled that much he must be beating defenders.

Reply #428616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking to a certian Cats player he raved about Burdon's shooting. Said Burdon will swuprise a lot of people.

Reply #436167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blame Marty.

Reply #436174 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754