Anonymous
Years ago

Spurs snub Mills and Baynes

Only 52 secs for Patty and no minutes for Baynes. Unbelievable that they are not playing them. Baynes killed it last time they played him and Patty would be a huge threat offensively to the Warriors. No surprises that they are struggling through their first two games.

Topic #31629 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

I dont think Baynes even suited up for this game as Splitter was back in the line-up.

Reply #418053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're right. I think if Mills and Aaron had played 30 minutes each the Spurs would have won by 25. Might be time for that Popovich guy to go. I'm sure it's nothing to do with a younger and more athletic opponent.

Reply #418054 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Patty probably deserves a bit more of a heat check considering the small ball three point nature of this contest. Having said that the ship has probably sailed re Spurs Patty Mills.

Reply #418056 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

They may have to give Mills a run, as Parker is really struggling to contain the GSW guards.

Reply #418059 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Great win by Golden State, that should set a cat amongst the pidgeons that didn't give them any hope, they should be 2-0 really!!

Reply #418066 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

It's a shame patty can't get meaningful court time he is better off elsewhere, the upside is he's only 24

Reply #418067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How Lebron won MVP over Mills and Baynes has me beat. Obviously because they didn't get the court time.

I'm sorry, but is this thread serious?

Reply #418068 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

It's the same situation for Patty as faced by a lot of mid-range NBA players. Sit on the bench of a contender, playing sparingly, or go and play for a terrible team and play more.

Reply #418069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you arm chair coaches amaze me. A good game here or there for these two is nothing to build a entire career on. Both of them are at best benchies for most NBA teams and not worth risking a playoff game over.
Second guessing Pop is not a good idea the guy can flat out coach so when Mills and Baynes dont get on you can bet its because Pop see's NO VALUE in doing it.

Reply #418072 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Is it the same, the Spurs are not a young team so if they haven't recruited over him, Patty should be aware of his potential to be a bigger part of the starting lineup in a season or two.

But, he should also be very much aware that he should look elsewhere if he is a reasonable judge as all he needs to do is see if the next young kid coming through has something he doesn't!!

The issue is, do the Spurs have better options at his age or around his age, because Parker and Genobli are no spring chickens....

Reply #418073 | Report this post

kwest  
Years ago

Parker struggled defensively all year with younger guards that can shoot. Lillard went off on him a couple of times.

Reply #418074 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

Pop has lost the plot. I told you 3 months ago this would come back to bite him.

Reply #418076 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Mills needs to leave spurs!!

Reply #418088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills has to be able to fill the role of a Nate Anderson, that has to be his direction.

Baynes needs to dominate Splitter in practice.

Reply #418103 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Pop set in his ways. These older guys need some back up. I'd play Mills & Baynes early & see how they go. He's stuck in the 'retro' where Parker, Ginobli & Duncan can still get it done. Great coach but needs to take some chances. I like Warriors 4 this series unless Pop tries something different!

Reply #418108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is a good call on Pop maybe needing to try something different. Warriors are looking like they might take this series if they can keep their heads in the second half. But saying that Pop is an amazing coach and i think he will still coach them out to next round. The hack on Bogut is rough but works to get him off the court making the warriors vulnerable without him.

Reply #418113 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Well this heading couldnt be further from the truth!

Reply #418114 | Report this post

Coeezy  
Years ago

14+ seasons of 50+ wins in the regular season, as well as 4 championships for Popovich. These threads need to be flagged whenever I hear about any Aussie not getting playing time cause they're just stupid now.

Reply #418116 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #418132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

x2 orbit. Pop must adapt or die. He can't keep milking these older players. he needs fresh young legs to take on this young warriors team. the combination of pattys speed and offensive spark and physicality of baynes could be a round changer.

Reply #418136 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well they could have a part to play maybe but its stupid to say there being snubbed or that there definite game changes, its a look he could go to if he so desires but if he doesnt think its a safe bet hes not going to do it. If Patty wants more minutes, he should definitely move... if he wants to win however he should be patient.

Reply #418143 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Ha! This thread is funny. Baynes is not playing in this series purely because of match-ups. If Lee was there, I'd bet you'd see Aaron out there. No reason to play him though, as the Warriors are going small, especially after doing some hack-a-Bogut.

Mills? He could not guard Curry, and Klay Thompson is way too big for him.

Reply #418150 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

* especially after the Spurs do some hack-a-Bogut.

Reply #418151 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Mills couldn't guard a paper bag full of takeaway curry.

Reply #418152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Mills would give Curry a run for his money

Reply #418169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't. I saw them go head-to-head at Golden State a couple of years ago when Mills was still with the Blazers, and I'm pretty sure Curry's improved more in that time than has Patty. For someone who's so quick in a straight line, Patty's lack of lateral quickness is astounding, and while he'd go past Curry with regularity at the offensive end, he certainly wouldn't be causing him any problems with his D.

Reply #418185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is good at pressuring up the court but no good containing in the half court, we saw that in the NBL, so guarding someone like Curry would not be a happy experience.

Reply #418193 | Report this post

Jay Ray  
Years ago

Thank you to the above 2 posters!

Reply #418198 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Mills isnt that good. Baynes is an undersized banger. DEAL WITH IT! Im sure Pop would rather deal with the wrath of some odd posters on a South Aussie website than Texas if he benched the likes of TP, Manu and TD for our minimal Aussie talent.... all in the name of 'series changing stuff'. But really please continue this blind sighted support for 2 minimal role players, they are good at what they do, but what they do isnt much in the Spurs overall picture.

Reply #418215 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Its the playoffs, you gotta play your best players!
1 or 2 game spurts is great. But this is a best of 7 series!
Everything works in rotation and by depth chart Both Mills & Baynes are behind 2 other players

Reply #418225 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agreed, there are reasons for them not playing significant minutes in an NBA finals series, let's face it any coach finds it tough to change their starting 5 and best 7 or so players if things aren't going to plan...

Spurs getting pushed by Warriors is not going to make it any better, but look at Jeremy LIN, you just never know what is down the track for our boys!!

Just, not quite now, in this situation I guess....

Reply #418226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes had to play with two broke teams in Europe last year just get exposure, now he has taken a big step to the best club on the planet. Im sure he will bide his time again and shine when the time is right.

Reply #418227 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

In all fairness Baynes and Mills are quality players and we know this because we see more of them. Patty has lit up almost every game he has got minutes in. He got a start once and hit 30+ points. Baynes is a tough player and tough is what you need in these series.

Reply #418247 | Report this post

manute bols cat  
Years ago

I agree they could do with a few more minutes but other than a blowout or injury it won't happen in this series

Reply #418285 | Report this post

manute bols cat  
Years ago

I agree they deserve more opportunity but they are last options on the depth charts

Reply #418286 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Its not snubbing. its coaching... simple as that. I dont think coaches take chances when they dont have to. They may get there oppurtunities and will probably snare a few minutes in the series so calm down.

Reply #418292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes had to play with two broke teams in Europe last year just get exposure, now he has taken a big step to the best club on the planet. Im sure he will bide his time again and shine when the time is right.

>

Ikaros, the team Baynes played on last season in the Greek League, actually makes a profit every season.

Reply #418628 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Greek currency??

Reply #418629 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Baynes was never brought in to play regular minutes this season, rather as a long-term prospect. His time will come, perhaps as early as next season he may even be Splitter's back-up. I'm sure he is on board with the plan, as we all should be. Patty, I'm not so sure about his future. Is he a free-agent at the end of this season?

Reply #418652 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754