Rant
Years ago

A coaching director didn't reply to my email

Just wanna get something off my chest, what is the point of being a coaching director if you don't answer your bloody emails? Looking for some answers, and nothing. ARRRRGH!!!

Rant over.

Topic #31639 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

Great place to rant, well done

Reply #418331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coded thread ??

Reply #418332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try being a coaching director and have coaches not answer them ....... Headaches multiplied

Reply #418333 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Check out Boomers Camp Squad then you'll rant.
Can't find it but had it read out...

Reply #418348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's called a phone people.

Reply #418349 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Does that mean you have it?
Pop up here?

Reply #418358 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Impressive the way retitling this has made it a much more important topic. Gold Mods!

Reply #418364 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The CD is probably thinking "Another pain in the butt parent!"

Reply #418383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On behalf of all coaching directors here is the true answer to your question, but not the answer you seek:-

Your kid is not very good.

Thank you

Reply #418521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol so true.

Reply #418526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that a "lol so true" because the kid isn't that good, or a "lol so true" because the coaching director has that attitude?

Reply #418540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its sort of the Coaching Directors job to help make that kid good

Reply #418547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You miss the point.

It's not about you or your kid. It's about a program.

A CDs job is to make the club better, not your kid. Lots of kids, limited resources = unequal investment of resources into areas that get the most benefit for the program.

A CD will allocate the resources where the payback is the greatest.

Mostly the CD work with coaches, who inturn work with the kids.

Reply #418550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

550, sounds like you're a CD and I hope you're not the former CD at my club. CDs do need to use resources wisely and so they need to be smart in how they influence the use of those resources. Pigeon holing kids because they don't aspire to play college so you can brag to your other CD mates how many players you have in high level programmes is not good for the club. Those kids will do well where ever they play. Some kids just want to play the best they can, enjoy the sport at district level and achieve their personal best each week. Smart, hard working CDs inspire those players to do more.

I have personally witnessed some shocking behaviour in my time. Abusing kids after a game telling them "you're the worst team at this club" "I don't even know why you turned up tonight" are comments that aren't really all that helpful and clever. Is that supposed to inspire them to want to be a part of your programme? Do you think an average kid will say "I will prove him wrong", most kids look at you and think "what an absolute ..... " I don't think that's a good example of inspiring, well respected leadership.

To be a great CD requires great leadership. Leadership is about lifting people up to achieve more, not putting them down. Leadership is about helping others to overcome their adversity, not cherry picking the soft targets. Leadership is all about getting the most out of your resources available.

Reply #418575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A program is only as good as its environment.

A great CD gets results; IE grows the program, makes it an environment attractive for high quality kids to play in, provides a pathway for those in the sport that want to strive for excellence.

The key is to establish clear direction with the clubs leadership early. What kind of athlete do you want in your club, what kind of player do you want to attract? What are the behaviours and personal qualities of kids that will make it a great environment for like minded kids to play in. Once you have that established that you recruit, recruit, recruit, recruit and where you see behaviors that need to be stamped out you take action to do so.

Promoting the sports pathways and opportunities inspire new participants and give kids something to strive for.

Effort, positive attitude towards team mates, outgoing, respect for coaches and elders, overcoming adversity, striving for your best are to be rewarded whilst the behaviours in conflict to these characteristics should be stamped out. At the end of the day there are limited spots in basketball and the best kids get the best spots.

You need to cut the dead wood and the tree will flourish.

Reply #418627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754