Vart
Years ago

Luc Longley & Mick Downer named Boomers assistants

hree-time NBA Champion Luc Longley and Cairns Taipans assistant Mick Downer have joined the Australian Boomers coaching staff under newly-appointed Head Coach Andrej Lemanis.

In a coup for the men's national team program, Longley comes on board as an Assistant Coach to Lemanis after playing a pivotal role in the Boomers leading in to the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Longley worked closely with Australia’s bigs as a consulting coach, playing a leading role in the emergence of Aron Baynes - who on the back of a breakout
Olympic run has joined the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA.

After getting a taste for working in the national team program, Longley is looking forward to taking on a more active role alongside Lemanis.

"Working with the Boomers in the lead up to the Olympics was a chance for me to tip my toe in the water and I enjoyed it and the players responded to me pretty well," Longley said.

“I’d been away from basketball for a while, but I got to the stage where I really missed it and wanted to get back involved, and Andrej has given me that opportunity.

“This is a really exciting time for the program, with a great core of international players and some talented youngsters knocking on the door.”

With a playing resume that includes 10 seasons in the NBA and long career on the international stage with the Boomers, Longley will work closely with Lemanis and the playing group as an on-court assistant.

Head Coach Lemanis said the addition of Longley and Downer would bring
experience and expertise to the Boomers program going forward.

“I’m very excited to have Luc on the coaching staff – he brings with him a wealth of knowledge both from his personal career and his time spent as a consulting coach,” Lemanis said.

“Luc has been with the Boomers program for the last two years; in that time he has developed great relationships with the players, demonstrated an ability to communicate clearly with our athletes and proven his ability to make a difference.

“I look forward to working with both Luc and Mick over the next three years as we grow as a coaching team and drive the Boomers program forward on the road to Rio.”

Basketball Australia Chief Executive Officer Kristina Keneally said the addition of Longley to the Boomers program was another step in the right direction on the road to the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.

“Adding someone like Luc Longley is a major coup for Andrej and the Boomers program,” Ms Keneally said.

“In his short time with the Boomers he has had a profound impact on the development of the players and in this greater role we will see that impact grow.”

Joining Longley on the Boomers coaching staff, Downer has been appointed as the Technical Assistant Coach, serving as Lemanis’ backroom expert, focusing on video analysis and scouting.

Downer has played an integral role in the emerging Boomers program, serving as Head Coach of the Australian men’s team at the 2011 World University Games and as an assistant coach in 2009.

Currently serving as an assistant to Aaron Fearne at the Taipans, Downer has been coaching at the NBL level since 2008.

Lemanis, Longley and Downer will take charge of the Boomers squad for the first time at the June training camp ahead of the Sino-Australia Challenge next month in Perth.

The Sino-Australia Challenge tips-off at Perth Arena on Friday 7 June, the first time international basketball will be played at the state-of-art arena.

For more information about the 2013 Sino-Australia Challenge and tickets visit the Basketball Australia website at www.basketball.net.au.

Topic #31659 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A very smart move with Longley, should keep some big egos under control in the Boomer squad. Lemanis is showing how clever he his with this!!

Reply #418656 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Great to see Longley in there.

Interesting that there's no Bevo.

Reply #418657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also making sure he has no competition.

Reply #418658 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Doubt Bevo would consider being an assistant after being overlooked for the main job.

Reply #418662 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Great to see Luc back and involved.

Reply #418663 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think these appointments are quite smart!

Longley can offer a lot, whilst Downer has the skills needed...

And of course, none of these guys will have a knife in their back pocket!

Reply #418667 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Appointments are definitely smart LC, and really great to see them not going over the top with heaps of assistants. This will give Andrej a real opportunity to implement his system over the entire team, both offensively and defensively. Luc will be a great assistant, and in particular will look to exploit the strength we have with our current bigs. If he can help guys like Jawai, Maric and Ogilvy the way he has helped Baynes, we'll be in a great position come Spain 2014.

Reply #418668 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

No room for Marty?

Reply #418675 | Report this post

thechief  
Years ago

What development are they talking about during the Olympics? I only saw a team that for half of the tournament were afraid of their own shadows, and unable, unwilling, or not allowed, to back themselves and take the game on. 8th was a poor performance. But then that's the problem with our program from the bottom to the top - happy in our mediocrity.

Reply #418678 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It will be a good experience for Luc to be able to finally learn so much from a guy like Bogut.

Reply #418680 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

thechief - Firstly, we finished 7th, not 8th. Considering the 7th place finish and 3-3 record matched our performance in Beijing, despite the absence of our best player, then most would suggest that would be worthy of a pass mark. Secondly, the development 'they' speak of would be in relation to our bigs whom Luc worked with, in particular Baynes whom Luc mentored closely, and you'll most likely recall that he went on from his London experience to be a Euroleague star and is now plying his trade in the NBA.

Reply #418683 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

thecheif... have a look at the nations who placed higher then us.. USa, Spain, Russia, Argentina, Brazil, France.... Its basically a whos who of international basketball.. Yes, we were lacklustre early in the tournament but by the time we beat china we were actually the 'in form' team those last 3 games and We looked very respectable our first 3 quarters with the USA.

Reply #418687 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

So Marty Clarke goes from having a job, and a spare one also....to having nothing (that we know of).

Reply #418691 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Seventh is a credible performance. With the way the basketball landscape has changed top 8 is almost as strong as finishing 4th in the 80s and early 90s.

Having said that thechief does make a valid point about the team looking lost early in the tournament. After four years preparation there is no excuse for that.

Some players have spoken of not knowing what the team's identity or their roles were and that's the key thing Lemanis has to get right. Players need to feel comfortable in the style and the consistent roles they are given.

Reply #418700 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Given the way the breakers have played under the new Boomers coach, I think he can handle assignining roles and responsibilities to the players...

Reply #418702 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

A gold medal should always be our aim. Im sure Spain thinks that and we used to beat them back in the day.

Reply #418709 | Report this post

Glenn  
Years ago

The statement Longley made below is exactly why we are going to fall further down the table of international B Ball.

"I grew up in the Boomers with (Mark) Bradtke, (Andrew) Vlahov and (Shane) Heal, and I had (Phil) Smyth and (Larry) Sengstock as the guys I looked up to," he said.

"I didn't grow up wanting to be like Karl Malone in the NBA."

I think maybe you should have Luc. Having Smyth and Sengstock as the guys you looked up to is the reason why you where constantly yelled at by Jordan. The Mailman is one of the best power forwards to ever play the game.... and you looked up to Phil F##king Smyth and Larry Sengstock ?!?!?!!!

My advice to the Boomers....don't even bother suiting up.

F##king Smyth ?!

Reply #418761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone else shocked at Downers appointment? He isn't well regarded by his own players in cairns and can't help but feel there are multiple other options with better CVs. Eg McLoud, Stacker, Molloy, Watkins, Joyce etc etc

Reply #418767 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anyone got any early mail on what sort of game plan Lemanis will likely run for the Boomers?

Reply #418775 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Seriously... Shut up Glenn. Most pessimistic asswipe on the site... I was surprised you didnt throw Ingles in?

And yes, I dont think Luc Longley was all that great, but hes Ok and does have experience.. could turn out to be a better advisor then he ever was player, we already see the fruits of that in Aron Baynes emergence

Reply #418782 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Geez.....vote 1 for the banning of Glenn. What a knob.

Reply #418803 | Report this post

Glenn  
Years ago

Im gonna lay this down and then not post again.

If you want to try and be the best then you have to play like the best. At the moment the Boomers arent coached and arent playing anything like the best. They use to have heart and grunt. But now.....nothing.
They rely on the hope that Bogut will lace up but more often than not due to commitment or injury he can't. They need to prepare and train like he isnt going to be there. And when he is there.....they cant put the teams hopes on him anyway. It isnt fair.
Having someone coach you who grew up watching mediocre players like Phil isnt a good thing. He needs to take what Phil Jackson taught him and try and use that.

My point to all this is that you will not win if you teach the players how to play like the South Eastern Melbourne Magic circa 1991.

At least they arent being coached by Rob Beveridge. HEY ROB !!! IT"S CALLED TRANSITION....IT NEEDS TO BE QUICK AND SURGICAL !

Reply #418925 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Glenn, I think maybe you should've taken what Longley said about Smyth and Sengstock v Malone with a pinch of salt? He said what he is supposed to say, so that noone accuses him of disrespecting Aussie ball. That way he can get on with actually trying to help our current Boomers get better instead of getting into a pointless flame war in the media!

I think if you actually talked to Luc, he would tell you all about how much he has learned from Jordan and Pippen and Jackson and other NBA greats.

Having said that, there is no doubt that the quality of local basketball has gone backwards and coaching must have something to do with that. We just don't produce many players with the skill level to match the best American and European players.

This is never more obvious than when you look at the complete lack of shooting ability amongst elite players in this country. Why don't we produce any Gazes, Heals, Mahers, Pearces, etc anymore?

Reply #418952 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Beanstown has hit on a point about world class shooters, there is no heal/gaze or even Maher any more. I have to disagree on one fact, our ability to make world class players... We have more players scratching at the NBA's door then ever... The fact that very few may make it is irrelevant I dont remember a time where so many Aussies were spoken of as even outside NBA chances.

What I will say, is I think Lemanis is all but too aware of this need to get world class shooters, this is why Cam Gliddon, Clint Steindl, Ben Madgen are in the squad right now. We all know none of these kids are Boomers A grade material right now, However, we sorely need one of them to become it... Or we need Ryan Broekhoff... We sorely need credible outside shooters as all we had in last olympics was very streaky.

What I saw at last Olympics was a team that was really only a few elements away from being a medal threat. Those elements however arent easy to get.... We need someone, a go to guy who can get a bucket when the whole system has broken down.. and we need a few 3 point threats that are consistant. Defensively, we were one of the best teams in the tournament... Lock those elements in and We can trouble the best teams. Until then, we will be the best of the rest.

What I will also add, is looking at the quality of some of the college kids making the camp, it is a little alarming how far we fall off after our 1st and 2nd teams. When you start looking at Daniel Johnson, Cadee, Mitch Norton etc.. It is obvious that outside our top 20 or so.. we dont have many guys you would trust on an international court. I think this is why the camp is happening, they want to mould these guys into more then they already are.

Reply #418956 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

YouknowME - good thoughts there.

Some of the college kids being looked at will be our go-to guys pretty soon, as well as our outside shooters, so I'm getting really excited about 2016 and beyond.

Reply #418963 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Outside shooting has long been a concern, and I've quite often questioned (including on this forum) how the AIS system continually churns out players that cannot shoot the basketball. It would seem to me that if you spend 2-3 years on a basketball scholarship, practicing twice a day most days, then you should be a GREAT shooter, not just a good shooter, but a GREAT shooter. However, its just not the case. I don't understand why they do not employ the services of a full time shooting coach. If our nations elite cricketers can have batting and bowling coaches, then it would make sense for our elite basketballers to have a shooting coach. I recently watched a youtube clip of Emmett Naar breaking an AIS record on the yugo drill, and whilst thats great that he broke a record, his jumpshot is fatally flawed, and I doubt under intense pressure (eg. defence all over you at the end of a close game) whether it would stand up. I implore Andrej Lemanis to rectify this, not only as Boomers coach, but as head of the COE, his first priority should be to appoint a full time shooting coach.

Reply #418973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vart,

How is that working out for our National Cricket team?

Its up to the players.

Reply #418977 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I completely disagree Anon^. The entire purpose of the AIS program is to develop players that show the potential to represent the Boomers and Opals at Olympics and World Championships. Surely one of the main points of emphasis of the program should be the proper development of sound fundamentals and skills in order to play the game the best that you possibly can.

Reply #418982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I Agree, it has gone down Hill since Marty left.

Reply #418985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty was well received at the AIS, is helping Lemanis at the COE an option for him? he would likely be quite good at it.

Reply #418996 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Vart is completely right. I think the AIS as good as it is tends to churn out Basketball robots that are all around solid players but generally not experts in anything in particular... offensively unimaginative, and over all average shooters. It makes sense to me that they should have shooting coaches. I also dont un derstand how professional basketballers could get poor free throw percentages when I play simply social ball and I am up around 90%

Reply #419002 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I agree with Vart.

Sometimes you get freaks, sometimes it takes a lot of hours of effort to be as good as a Gaze or a Heal or a Grace. The AIS is supposed to pick out the talent and make it easier for the players to improve their skills.

Did the AIS concentrate too much on structured offence and handling the media and eating healthy instead of just fine-tuning the skills?

Reply #419005 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:24 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754