Not Happy Jan.
Years ago

Adelaide Lightning Petition

Womens basketball has a history of taking drastic measures in order to gain publicity. Body suits were one thing, but Adelaide calling themselves "The Fellas" is degrading, a disgrace.
Publicity of this nature may well work in the short term but in the long term history and integrity are compromised for the sake of the almighty dollar.
I'd like to use this thread as a petition for support of this view in the hope that BASA will read it and reconsider.
Please, let your thoughts be known, for the future of South Australian Womens Basketball.

Topic #3168 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I would like to add my name to the list (and help get the ball rolling if others agree). I certainly appreciate the financial support that Fellas Gifts have elected to provide the team, but do not think that sacrificing the 12 years of branding and history that exist with the "Lightning" should be taken at all lightly. I would hope that a compromise could be met that would see the Lightning name retained in a form such as "Fellas Adelaide Lightning" or "Adelaide Fellas Lightning", at least.

Reply #36560 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I agree, the Lightning name should be kept. Find a way to incorporate the sponsors without losing the identity of the team.

Reply #36562 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I too dont get why the lightning name has been dropped.

Fantastic that Fellas are helping as far as cash support is concerned but what happens when there tenure as sponsor finishes?

Fellas Lightning or as you have suggested Isaac cover all bases, give naming rites as well as protect the Lightning brand.

To me it does not define the sponsor either. Adelaide Fellas just sounds like a b Grade social team that could not think of anything better.

As suggested it makes you aware that Fellas is the sponsor and not the team name/identity as i think it will be percieved.

Is Wayville to be renamed the "gift wrapped centre?"

Reply #36564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #36565 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

I wouldn't say it was degrading but will say that it does take away from the Adelaide Lightning as a club with arguably one of the best history's in women's b-ball in australia, especially at national level.

However, after the success of the "lightning", from a marketing point of view, it would be in the interest of the sponsors to maintain the successful "brand name" that people are familiar with.
Even people who don't follow b-ball can recall the name "Adelaide Lightning" and usually relate it to a successful sporting francise.

Reply #36566 | Report this post

bright idea  
Years ago

I agree with Issac- the sponsors name should be incorporated into the Adelaide lightning somehow. Being the "Adelaide Fellas" is allowing people to riducle the girls and overlook the talent they have.

I'm sure if the 36ers got a sponsorship from a company that had a feminime ring to its' title- they wouldn't be happy to be renamed. Imagine chik magazine giving them a multi-million dollar deal (i know its not likely) How does the Adelaide Chiks sound?

Reply #36568 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

You dudes have to be joking.....cant the lightning have sponsorship dollars if they want too....my god a petition?????....Fellas is only a name.....get over it and talk about some real issues please and leave the lightning alone

Reply #36569 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I concur I think that the Lightning brand should be kept. Why don't the say Fellas Gifts Present The Adelaide Lighting? Or something like that, don't make Adelaide the laughing stock of the WNBL!

Reply #36572 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So, you'd be OK with the Adelaide Pura Milks too? That's the equivalent we're talking about. All the brand awareness and penetration would disappear.

In Daniel Lato's article today, he refers to Monique Bowley as a new face for the Adelaide Fellas. Wasn't she in the team last year?

Reply #36573 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

Yes Monique was in the team last year.

Unfortunately if you want sponsorship dollars you have to accommodate some changes....they will always be known as Adelaide Lightning....you know that Issac

Reply #36574 | Report this post

Voltaren  
Years ago

I would like to add my name to the list. I think the petition is a great idea. Not Happy Jan - get those petitions into stadiums! Does anyone have any contacts at the advertiser or radio stations? An article from the great nagy about this would be awesome.

Reply #36575 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

I agree very strongly everyone - the name LIGHTNING should not be lost - what tragedy if it is!

Surely Adelaide Fellas Lightning is not too hard! It would be the same as Adelaide PURA MILK 36ers. Yes we want the sponsorship $$$ and alonf with that comes the name and branding but they can work together with the name of the team that has history and meaning!

Change no, incorporating together - yes! (like every other bloody womens or mens team at the national level!)

Reply #36578 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Is the name change official?

You'd think that the "Fellas" store would be pumping in huge money to cause such a drastic change.

I'm surprised that the WNBL would allow a change of name to something like "Fellas".

Is it possible it is all just a publicity stunt that we have fallen for?

Reply #36582 | Report this post

CPA  
Years ago

I think Monique has played for the last couple of years. But will that even be her name this year? I think 'Stubbie Holder' has a nice ring to it.

Reply #36583 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

Lets hope Fanny Adams doesnt decide to sponsor the sixers............what will the posts be like then LOL

Reply #36585 | Report this post

Cherie Smith  
Years ago

From a player's point of view, I am fine with the name change. I know I haven't played for as long as some under the name of 'Lightning'. But if someone is willing to support a WOMEN'S sporting team (a rare occurance), they definately deserve the recognition. The only way they will receive this recognition is by naming the team 'Adelaide FELLA's'. Otherwise we will still just be called the Adelaide Lightning, because no one will actually take the time to say 'Adelaide Fella's Lightning'.

You may argue that they will say the whole name (when introducing the team or on our logo) but the main discussion about our team is through you (the basketball community) and I very much doubt that you would remember to include the Fella's in there, especially those who have commented about this. Therefore the only way to ensure Fella's Gifts are thanked for their contribution is by dropping the Lightning and having a new name altogether, ADELAIDE FELLAS.

Don't get angry with me about this subject, because no matter if we are Lightning or Fellas we are the same team, the same bunch of girls, doing what we love and trying to win a championship, not only for ourselves but for the supporters as well. Lets worry about other issues, such as making sure all our players are fit to play and put in 100% for the season, rather than what we are going to be called.

Reply #36592 | Report this post

Mark Coughlin  
Years ago

what about when they were known as the adelaide "quit" lightning. no one kicked up a stink than.
how about giving them some support instead of knocking the much needed sponsorship dollars.
i know how much effort these girls put in, not just during the season but for most of the year.
a little bit more money in their pockets will be a huge benefit.

Reply #36593 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Reply #36594 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well said Cherie.

Whilst the name may be slightly unfortunate, those of us who follow the women's side of basketball would surely appreciate how hard it is to gain corporrate sponorship dollars, and if Fellas Gifts asked for sole naming rights in recognition of some major $$ (I beleive I have seen a figure of $75,000 mentioned), then what team has the luxury of turning that down?

On the plus side, Fellas does have some great stuff in there (I've had a new store open down at West Lakes for a few months now)....and well worth a look if you've never been into one.

Reply #36595 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

If the womens team continues to run at a loss (and i agree that it is great to have the team) why the move and stay at wayville?

Surely they easiest way to cut costs is have them play at the powerhouse? dosnt have to be double header before sixers game can be on a different night. ok the atmosphere isnt as good, the girls prefer wayville and have built a great home court atmosphere their but if it is all about the money?

I would rather have the Adelaide Lightning playing at the Dome than the Adelaide Fella's playing at Wayville and making/losing the same ammount of money.

PS Have the ever thought of curtaining of sections of the stadium to create a smaller feel equalling better atmosphere it is common pratice in alot of sporting arenas.

Reply #36598 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

dj i think that was to gain their own identity... which has just been changed?! bizarre!

Reply #36599 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

I wonder what some of the girls think about the name change.

Would it be possible for them to post on here their thoughts, or would that go against team policy?

If not, what do ex-Lightning players think of name change?

Reply #36602 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cherie, I tried to email you to thank you for posting your perspective, but the email bounced. Here's the message: "Thanks for your post. Good to get another perspective."

I think it's great that your aunt/uncle have put forward such a substantial interest in supporting the team. I hope that the club can repay that endorsement with appropriate opportunities for publicity.

Anyway, I have to admit that I'm surprised that the deal offered was so black and white (i.e., Adelaide Fellas or nothing). I think any perceived loss of coverage with going for Adelaide Fellas Lightning may be offset by the reaction to "selling out" and the change in brand. Surely the best path would be one that maintained the Lightning brand as well as provided promotional opportunities for Fellas -- e.g., half-time announcements, giveaways, vouchers, in-store meet-and-greets, etc -- to the potentially stronger crowds in attendance?

Even if it was Adelaide Fellas Lightning, you'd still get all the formal announcements mentioning the Fellas name, and Boti would undoubtedly give us headline jokes about "Goodfellas" and "One of the fellas" and so on.

That's just my gut feeling. Those frustrated at the change to the Lightning name may focus on that issue and forget the endorsement of Fellas Gifts? Who knows, maybe the discussion about the name will lead to more exposure and pay off for the team?

Either way, I hope it works out!

I'd like to see more made of the fact that the girls have been provided with part-time jobs to work around their training -- makes it a bit more personal and attached rather than the buy-out that some are assuming it is.

Reply #36604 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

Has everyone forgotten about the Adelaide Super Sixers? That last a whole season and no one changed their thinking or calling them the 36ers. Even the commentators.

i don't agree with the renaming of the Lightning, and would happily sign a petition, but I think (hope) it will all blow over in a season or so.

Reply #36605 | Report this post

Anakin  
Years ago

'How many of the forum readers attend the games and support our elite women athletes?'

looks like a few of the forum readers even play for the team itself!!!

Reply #36606 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Guess I got my answer as to what current players think.

What about ex-Lightning players?

Reply #36609 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Reply #36613 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

good point EC i still remark about it being the power house

Reply #36626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is very strange to take a known brand name and then 1) renaming it and the 2) renaming it to something stupid.

The lightning brand is something that would have been worth something.

I also thought one of the reason that the bodysuits were being ditched was to allow for merchandising options. Good luck selling Adelaide Fellas singlets to all the young girls. I am sure that is going to be a big hit.

As a protest i know which gift shop i wont be going into.

A decision like this doesnt just impact upon the lightning but also the WNBL in general. i am also surprised that the WNBL have allowed the name change.

Reply #36627 | Report this post

joeB  
Years ago

hey i found this

"The Sydney University Flames have announced a naming rights sponsorship deal with Group Event Travel (G.E.T.) ahead of the 2005/06 Women's National Basketball League season. The partnership, worth six-figures each year for the next three years, will see the team change their name to the G.E.T. Sydney Uni Flames."

more money and they keep the "Flames" part

Reply #36630 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

The ditching of bodysuits was a WNBL decision, not an Adelaide decision.

The reason originally to goto bodysuits was to try and attract the male audience, and "sex up" the league.

That really didnt work, so now it's back to singlets, to allow the womens league to be able to merchandise to their fans. Who REALLY wants to buy a bodysuit for their 8 year old daughter, who will grow out of it in 8 weeks anyway?

I think it's bordering on ridiculous saying you wouldnt being going into a Fella's shop in protest. What a great way to say thanks for sponsoring a WNBL team and keeping the league alive.

Reply #36631 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Protesting against a store that is sponsoring women's basketball?

That is great thinking anonymous.

If the South Australian community had provided greater support whether it be through attendances at games or sponsorship then they might still be called the Lightning.

Do you know how much money the Lightning have lost BASA over the last 12 years anonymous (through no fault of their own but through a lack of support for women's sport). Now finally they get a big boost and you call on a boycott of the new sponsor??? Are you serious?

Some of the actual players have posted above saying they are happy with the name change because of the financial benefits the sponsorship brings.

Good on Fellas Gifts for supporting South Australian basketball.

They have won an extra customer in me to make up for the boycott of anonymous.

Reply #36632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is going to buy a singlet for a girl that says Fellas on it..??

This is a DUMB marketing decision for the former Lightning team and also the WNBL.

In years to come in marketing text books they will give examples of poor marketing decisions and a womens basketball team called the Fellas is sure to rate a mention.

Do you think the Adelaide Crows would ever sell out there name for sponsorship money.....Would the AFL let them change the name.

Sometimes the only way to get administrators to realise they have made a dumb decision is to force their hand. The gift shop should realise that whilst the sponsorship is in good faith and is appreciated the renaming of the team is going to bring them more bad will then good will.

Reply #36634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally i think it is an absolute blight on Governments for not supporting the WNBL league.

Given the positive role models it provides for young girls, and given the number of obese children that now abound, money spent on the WNBL would be well spent.

Legislating for the WNBL to telecast 2 games a week would be a start and would then provide a bigger profile for the league to attract team sponsors.

Anyway it was a nice gift for the fellas to give the lightning.

Reply #36636 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Who was buying the Lightning bodysuits in any event?

What is lost if no one buys a Fellas singlet?

The AFL is probably not the best example to bring up sponsorship wise. What haven't the clubs done for an extra buck in the AFL?

Reply #36637 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

re crows selling out there name

1996 crows name was change to the adelaide cows for a big$$$ albiet for 1 game sponsorship deal for a mars promotion

carlton changed there colours and theme song to the "the Baby Blue" for sponsorship

2004 collingwood changed there name for 1 match to the MM's for a MM's Promotion

Geelong chaged there name to the Cats (no Geelong in the name for a season) for a whiskas promotion Hell there captain changed his name by depol to Whiskas,

North Melbourne Changed there Colours to Fluro Orange for Fanta

the SACA changed there team from SA to the westend cricketers then to the SA Pura Cricket Team and now the Southern Redbacks

All these changes have allowed these teams to survive in there respective Codes and if you do a quick search on google you will find dozens of australian teams have changed there name in order to survive and have

the funiest one i found was for rugby with the All Blacks back in 1970's for a tour to england renamed and colour of there team for a white knight confectionary product to the All Whites,

it happed let it be last thing we want is for the fellas to see the negativety thats is been shown to them and withdraw there sponsership and what could possibly lead to NO TEAM in the wnbl from SA

WAKE UP ANON do you actually want a wnbl team or not

Reply #36638 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Fantastic Fellas Foil Flames!!
Fellas Fire Up The Floorboards!
Fellas On Show This Week at...

Well, what a generally negative lot we have in SA basketball!! Not content by many different people (in numerous threads on this forum) to just bad mouth other clubs, put down referees, almost slander individuals, and generally offer acerbic comments in the extreme when anyone disagrees with one's point of view, our multitude of millionaires now want a generous benefactor to do what WE want, and not what is good for their Fellas Gifts business, and the RISK they are taking in providing this sponsorship!

"We cannot become what we need to be remaining what we are" Max DePree

Traditions and history have their place, but times and businesses and life in general are forever changing. Embrace them, move forward and thank those who ARE willing to try and make a difference. Personally, Fellas is a LOT better than say "Stormy's (Summers)Troopers" or "Adelaide Body Shops" and others. I do not find the Fellas name offensive, sexist or bigoted, perhaps like some others could try to be.

Thank you Fellas Gifts! I trust you will use all your stores and marketing material to promote the Team and every game they play. I can see some great eye catching headlines and marketing ploys, even from Boti!

Lastly... I never went to watch The "Lightning". Don't care.

I am not going to watch the "Fellas" either. Care even less.

I do attend the games to watch elite, fit and determined athletes display their prowess and skill, courage and determination, to hopefully also entertain and excite us, and of course to win! Maybe even see some future International stars in the making. Care Bear Factor : Yes for all this!

Ladies, have a great season, with a name or not, I will be there to support YOU! I am sure you will all be happy and appreciative Fellas.

Reply #36640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thomo, the thing common to all of those instances is that they were temporary changes, either promotional stunts or short lived exercises. i dont think any of them were permanent.

Reply #36641 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

Well I think we are just so lucky, imagine Playboy parting with some big money. What would the team be called then - Adelaide Bunnies or maybe to uphold some tradition Adelaide Lightning Bunnies? And to go with it we could have a slight uniform adjustment to pull more spectators. However Lightning has their sponsorship maybe then 36 ers could have been sponsored by Playboy, and then we could have a girl's team called Fellas and men's called Bunnies. Way to go.

Reply #36644 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

Anon,

Weren't the Crows the "Camry Crows" at sone stage??? Was even in the club song...

Reply #36647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The petition should also include in it the following:

Lightning to remain at Wayville as rumour has it they may be moving back to Dome - this would be disastrous financially and also from a branding perspective as they have strengthened their identity with Wayville/Lighthouse - also a better atmosphere there.

Reply #36650 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Reply #36652 | Report this post

Sam Woosnam  
Years ago

re: Lightning renamed 'Adelaide Fellas'
I thought I would give you guys a reply from a players point of view. I understand where all the comments are coming from with the name. Sure it is very strange to be renaming the team "Adelaide Fellas" as I know we have been known as the Lightning for 12 years and there is alot of tradition behind the name. I am not sure though if some of you understand that it is very difficult to obtain sponsorship for womens basketball, and Fella's Gifts have put forward a great deal of money to our program for the next 5 years. As Issac has written though, the Powerhouse got renamed the Dome, but everyone still calls it the Powerhouse and I am sure that will be the case for the people that hold the Lightning close to their hearts. From what I understand "Lightning" wasn't a possibility as it defeated the purpose of Fellas Gifts being the naming right sponsor. But the Adelaide Lightning Inc is still the entity however Adelaide Fellas has the naming rights. Asalot of you know, we find it difficult at times to work full time as well as play WNBL, and if this is a step in the right direction, where we may not have to struggle so much and get paid a little bit more for something we put so much time and effort and heart and soul into then I am all for it. Why don't we thank Fella's Gifts for giving some support& money to Womens basketball which is something that it definately needs. They have also offered some part time work for girls that are finding it hard to find a job that is flexible with our training times. So get down to Fella's Gifts and you might bump into one of us. Finally though after returning from Europe after 4 seasons, it was great to see how much support we have down at Wayville now, the atmosphere in there is terrific and we hope to see more of you guys down there for the next season.

Reply #36664 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Great Responce Sam

come on guys and gals lets embrace this and support the adelaide fellas as they compete in the upcoming wnbl season

Reply #36670 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

mark's point is very good - no one got upset at "Quit" Lightning - in fact they were far from it

it is an advertiser's dream - look at all the attention already - let alone once the season starts.

those babes are far from fellas - if I was only 30 years younger!

but then I would not have been able to teach austin powers and fabio their moves.

yeah baby!

Reply #36677 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

They will definitely be the best looking bunch of Fellas I have ever seen. Yes girls we will all support you and Fellas Gifts for they generosity. See you at Wayville or whatever it might be called from now on.

Reply #36682 | Report this post

Timberwolf  
Years ago

I don't care about the name lightning....i think fellas is fine, but what ever happened to the Quit part of the Lightning name. I ask this because I heard that Quit are still putting in the same amount of dollars as they have before to support the girls but have not be given any of the naming rights. Wasn't it always the Adelaide Quit Lightning. Correct me if i am wrong, but i think there might be some unhappy people down at the Quit organization about all this.

Reply #36683 | Report this post

k d lang  
Years ago

women called fellas! - count me in as number 1 ticket holder!

Reply #36685 | Report this post

old light  
Years ago

As an ex lightning player, I am very disappointed in the name change. I would not be proud to say I was once a member of the Fellas.
Sponsorship is fantastic for the sport, but you need to match the team/sponsor.
I can not imagine my daughter aspiring to be a 'Fella'. Or the young kids on the sideline supporting the 'Fellas'. Can you imagine yourselves shouting on the sidelines, Great world fellas. It is an embarassment to the sport.
In regard to supporting the girls at Wayville, it is very difficult to be a 36ers Season ticket holder and then shell out again, and make the time to go see the girls.

Reply #36747 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

Correction, you re no longer Old Light, but Old Fella.

Reply #36748 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

does it really matter?

it is still the powerhouse and lightning to me

Reply #36752 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

I have read with interest the concern with the lightning or fellas name, from a long term sponsors point of view i am rapt Fellas Gifts have decided to SUPPORT the girls. Whilst the name could have been ideally better and Boti will have a field day with this the benefits far outway the negatives.
At the end of the day the program NEEDS the money and the girls need the support. More importantly a long term sponsor gives some stability to the program
Recruiting players succesfully requires a club that is financially settled.
I have personally employed over 10 lightning players. Both full time and part time. I understand fully the finacial burden supporting a minor sport brings
Some of the dissapointed fans need to understand the girls pass up a great deal finacially to play for the club.
A company willing to show faith in them and provide some financial support is great.

Welcome Fellas Gifts and thank you for SUPPORTING the program

Simon

Reply #36911 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754