philly
Years ago

Patty - where to next?

So its clear that San Antonio is stacked in guard position and that Patty will be better off maximising his opportunities at another club. That being said which teams would have the cap space to take Patty and have a starting PG position up for grab?

Topic #31685 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sydney Kings.......

Reply #419027 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Oakland I would imagine.

Reply #419028 | Report this post

Robert Pack  
Years ago

He will NEVER be a starting point guard. get it through your heads Patty CAN NOT DEFEND!

At best patty is a spark off the bench (same roll as the spurs) but 8th man instead of 10th man.

I love mills but im a realist.

Reply #419029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he should sign with a club that doesn't have great guard depth...he could prove himself as a reliable bench scorer (Which I believe he is capable of)

Reply #419031 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

It's been said before but I'll say it again. Patty Mills is not a starting point guard in the NBA. Patty and his agent need to use this offseason to determine if there is any other interest from any NBA teams. He has a player option with San Antonio, before he throws that away he must find a team that is going to gurantee him a contract.

If I was him, I'd let my agent throw my name around with other teams and see if there was any interest while I hit the gym and focus mentally on playing for San Antonio next year. Work towards a big training camp with the Spurs and thrive in the competitiveness between all the PG's on the roster.

If another team comes calling and is willing to offer a contract for longer, by all means take it. But Patty has the peace of mind that right now, he has a contract and all he has to do is continue to impress the Spurs and work on his game. He needs to take his game to the next level otherwise he's going to find himself out of the league pretty quickly. Use this player option to take that next step.

Reply #419032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orlando,Charlotte,Toronto,Dallas,Clippers (presuming either CP3 or Bledsoe leave next year),Phoenix, Utah or Minnesota?

Reply #419033 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I've seen him in various patches this season he has worked on his game a fair bit. I think the passing has improved a lot. His shot always looks good and I think it has come up a bit more this season. Obviously defense is his weakness due a lot to his slight frame but I think he is a bit better than a 4th string guard. Not saying he is first string but probably deserves a few more minutes than he is getting.

Reply #419035 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Stay at Spurs for a few years, best team for developing players. Then move to Houston later, another team which has its players over achieve on a regular basis.

Reply #419036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too many haters in here. Patty has legit skills. He has been a starter before due to other player injuries and has abosolutely killed it.

Reply #419037 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

Anyone remember when Parker was injured last year and Patty started? He was in aboslute beast mode. One game i remember being 27 pts another 34 pts 12 assists.

Reply #419039 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I would not give up on him just yet. Opportunity will come and it will work out, no need to look too far from where he is with an aging guard list IMO...

Reply #419040 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Can we put a moratorium on the phrase "beast mode". It was used the other day to describe a six point outing by Aron Baynes.

Reply #419042 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

He can go to a weaker franchise and be done in 3/4 years and forgetton about or stay and at least be invivled in programs that are having a crack at winning rings!

It all Depends if he craves team success or just his own glory....cause last time i checked playing 25mins for the Bobcats a night compared to 2mins a night with the title contending spurs is a no brainer (Esp if its for similiar cash!)

We play this game for championships not so we can look at our own box score numbers!

Reply #419049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would prefer the bobcats option. Better money, more playing time and more opportunity.

Reply #419053 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

I agree Mick.

Reply #419054 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He is better off picking up his player option and waiting another season to work on his PG skills and defense.

If he can eek his way into the lineup in the regular season and then follow that with a solid showing in the playoffs for a team like San Antonio he will be worth a lot more on the open market if he decides to go elsewhere.

What he has to do at all costs is not get himself labelled as an undersized two (might be too late) and learn how to run an offense.

Reply #419055 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

I know everyone/most want the cash$$$$ so you need to stick in the NBA, but its sad when you think about what kind of career some of these Aussies could have had if they played in the NBL during their prime. Imagine Bogut playing a season or 2 in the NBL, It would be awesome and he would have the chance to break so many season stat records and maybe win a championship, it would be one NBL season which would probably be remembered in the far future at least in Australia's basketball history.

Reply #419057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philly: Those stats came at the end of the season against teams that were playing for lottery picks or playoff teams resting their starters. He played well, but lets not get carried away, it was against 2nd rate players/teams. He does this @ the start or mid season, I would be inclined to agree with you.

Reply #419064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick has been posting in beast mode in this topic.

Reply #419065 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Hopefully will find his way to a team where he can somehow muster up some more minutes! People say his defence and passing is poor well his not going to improve it playing 2 minutes garbage a night. He needs to find a team that can offer him 20-25 minutes a game where he can really work on his game. The best way to work on his defence and passing is not at the teams gym its in an actual game!

Reply #419072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate to sound like a hater, I really do. But the amount of the people that are so bias towards him is really frustrating haha. He's nowhere near a starting Pg right now and any team could basically sign him without it making a dent in their cap space. The Spurs are hardly "stacked" at the guard position when you think about it. I mean their back up Pg right now is Corey Joseph (no disrespect)...

Reply #419078 | Report this post

Jay Ray  
Years ago

Patty is best full stop! He would be scoring leader in the nba like olympics but pop has something against towels

Reply #419085 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Pickup his Option, sit on the bench and get that easy paper

Reply #419086 | Report this post

Captain Peacock  
Years ago

i agree he can get better but he wont be more than 8th man IMO

Reply #419087 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

I would wait to see what Gary Neal does at the end of the year.
If he signs with another team, this would give Patty more min's & another year under one of the best coaches in the NBA.

Also Manu is 36 years old, so he might retire at the end of next year.

Reply #419095 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Can we also stop using the term "hater" especially when you're just giving an honest opinion on someone who is overrated.

Reply #419104 | Report this post

.Hawks fan  
Years ago

Feel sorry for guys like Patty, I am sure they love playing basketball and have been leading players in juniors, it must be hard to sit on the bench. I know they make plenty of money, but don't you think they would just like to have a game. I know I loved playing basketball, even though no one paid me, just for the fun of it.

Reply #419105 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Picking up the player option off the bat is stupid. He's better to see if there are any better options in regards to minutes and role, plus years on contract.

Why would anybody want to have a shot at a 1 year contract turning into anything more when you've not been given a sign of any more minutes/role and will most likely be out of the NBA at seasons end.

He's not going to be a starter or 6th man. He'd be lucky next season to be an 8th man at best, then from there he can try show his worth.

Reply #419110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, picking up an option for 1+ million guaranteed when you are at best a 7th/8th man on a bad team is stupid. Off the bat stupid.

Wow.

*sarcasm*

Reply #419132 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

So you'd take a quick 1 year deal over a potential 2-3 year deal? Why would you not look to see if can get a better deal?

Take it anon you are the kind of person who goes to Harvey Norman after being in JB Hi Fi for a TV and decide to pay more because its too much hassle to drive back to JB and save a few hundred...

Reply #419193 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

I like him to try and break into the Spurs program to a Corey Joseph play some D league, get some minutes. Or even head to Euro get into a Euroleague club and play solid minutes in Turkey, Spain etc. There is no bad thing about that.

Reply #419241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His game isnt well suited for Euroleague, best to stay in the NBA.

Reply #419266 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

For what it's worth I'm a Spurs fan. More importantly maybe, I'm a huge Patty fan.

As we speak it looks more and more like Cory Joseph is going to be Parker's backup moving forward. Joseph, defensively is very good. Patty continues to improve on defence and provides very good hustle in small bursts.

Nando DeColo also plays some backup point but in time still looks more like a Manu G replacement.

The best chance for Patty to stick in the NBA is probably to stay close to Coach Pop. That's where it gets interesting. With the player option, there's a guaranteed 1m on the table. But once taken your destiny may be out of your hands.

Currently Patty is probably only going to get Vet Min money somewhere else. Somewhere else however may bring more minutes, perhaps as many as 20mpg as a backup on an average team. Patty's got the game I think to get a 3 yr 8-9m in total contract in the right circumstances.

Leaving the Spurs, seeking a back up job somewhere else may also mean playing for a non contender. Spurs also have last yr draft pick (point guard) stashed in Europe and interestingly Cedric Jackson played well for Spurs in last Summer League. Would not be surprised if Delly turns out in Spurs Summer League if he goes undrafted.

Reply #419318 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Yer, should have mentioned Gary Neal as he's in the log jam at guard. Pop gives Gary plenty of airtime at back up pg. However I think Spurs will let the market set his value and he'll get some offers. As a result I think Spurs will let him walk.

Reply #419319 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Patty needs to stay where he is for the meantime unless there is a multi year contract from a team that wants to give him minutes.

Reply #419323 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754