Isaac
Years ago

Thunder vs Grizzlies, Game 5

All over for OKC. Too reliant on one player IMO.

Are Memphis a serious chance from here? Saw someone rank them as the best but slim chance to tackle the Heat?

Topic #31686 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

The Heat still have to get past Indiana. They nearly lost today to a Bulls team that was severely depleted, who they already dropped one game to in a series that should have been a clean sweep every which way you look at it, and Indiana has the personnel and motivation to get it done against the champs. It's far from a formality, even if the Heat are deserving favourites.

I don't know who I'd favour against the Heat out of the Griz or Spurs though. Both have the wing stoppers that you need to slow Wade and Lebron. We should have two good series on our hands for the conference finals though.

Reply #419066 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Spurs the only team in the comp capable of beating Miami IMO. However, Memphis has been a bogey team in the past for the Spurs and Goldenstate aren't out yet either.

Reply #419068 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Don't sleep on the pacers like 95% of sports analysts and journalists have been doing all season.

Reply #419075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree that the Spurs are the only team that could beat the Heat. I think if you asked them who they would like to face out of Memphis, the Spurs and Pacers they would choose the Spurs. Both the Pacers and Griz worry the Heat with their physical play.

Reply #419079 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anyone else struggling to get into this years playoffs as much as previous years.

I am finding it hard to enjoy it.

Miami are simply too good.

I feel like I would imagine a Psychic would feel..
Watching things pan out isn't that fun when you already knows whats going to happen.

With that been said, I always hope for a great underdog story ala Dallas in 2011.

Reply #419081 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Miami have had a pretty damn easy run so far. A Milwaukee team that was self-combusting and shitty in the first place and a Bulls M*A*S*H corps that is ready to let one of the ball boys suit up. Not exactly stiff competition. In years past if you head in with the top seed you sometimes have to face a tough team early on that was coasting through the regular season. Not the case this year.

Their first test won't come until the ECFs. Indy could easily catch them with their pants down. Indy could also fall into one of their classic series-long scoring droughts and get annihilated by the Heat in five games.

Reply #419088 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, if psychics were an actual thing...

Wonder how Bogut's injury is? If it's anything significant, I can't see the Warriors troubling SAS again. Which is a shame. Hopefully it's not too serious.

I know it's an obvious comment to make, but can you imagine if OKC had paid up to keep Harden? After the season he's had, Westbrook might go down with an injury and the Thunder would've been, "Oh well. Shouldn't be a problem."

Still quite amazing that they were competitive with Memphis despite losing such a key piece.

Reply #419093 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

Hasn't Indiana won the series 3-1 or something this year vs Miami?

Reply #419098 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

The huge amount of injuries has made me feel less excited about the playoffs than I usually am. It feels a bit like we're watching the best of what's left, or the best of what can be scrapped together. Injuries are always a part of the game but these playoffs have just been astounding with the number of key players on the sidelines. Not that the eventual winner should get an asterisk next to their title but it doesn't feel like we're completely watching the best of the best this year.

I think Miami will beat Indiana but I have no feel for how it will play out. I could see it being a 5 games series or going the distance to 7.

I'm also not sure how what I assume the Spurs-Grizzlies series will play out, I could see either team advancing. But it only holds mild interest because I think Miami will beat either of them in the NBA Finals.

I'm hoping that the Grizzlies go on an amazing run and somehow win the title. That'll be worth watching and something to remember. I don't believe it'll happen though.

Reply #419106 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Indiana are the BIGGEST threat in the league to Miami. Just remember, they were 2-1 up on them last year and leading at the half of game 4, before D Wade carried the team on his back. This year; George much improved, hill much improved, west and hibbert still as good as last year, no Granger but Lance has stepped up and is a lock down defender. The Pacers bench is still as horrible as it was last year but they might just have the best 2-3 defensive combo in the league. And we all know what positions Miami excels at....

Reply #419116 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Pacers had one big advantage - size inside.

West and Hibbert, plus George on the perimter.

Unfortunately, the Heat are even more balanced this year than in 2011 and last year.

Andersen gives them rebounding and a defensive presence inside, which they were never ever going to get from Joel Anthony.

How do you beat them?

Reply #419172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754