Anonymous
Years ago

"We want to be best entertainers in NBL"

Perth Wildcats GM is in the USA visiting many NBA clubs on a fact finding mission.

Very good article below, well worth a read.

The Perth Wildcats professionalism in everyway, is far superior to every other NBL club.

The other seven NBL clubs really need to take a very close look at what Perth are doing.

I hope Nick Marvin and Jack Bendat are part of the new NBL board.

Take a look here:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/basketball/17207037/wildcats-head-to-us-to-see-how-to-turn-on-the-style/

Topic #31692 | Report this topic

The Situation  
Years ago

Strange, there are hyperlinks to spam pop-ups in this post. Same thing happened at Ozhoops overnight.

(Sorry to hijack the thread, just pointing it out to Isaac)

Reply #419153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was that the issue with Bevo and Marvin?

Marvin wanted a more entertaining game style?

Fair enough too imo, as a non-Wildcats fan i dont care if they win or lose most of the time, but didnt find some of there games very enjoyable to watch, a casual basketball fan, watching for the first time isnt likely to be excited about the sport from watching it either. Sure coaches just want wins, but in pro sports its also about entertainment as thats what draws fans and TV not simply winning, winning helps for the local fan, but not the fan who doesnt have any ties to the particular club.

At the end of the day its quite possible to acheive both, i mostly found the Breakers entertaining, love watching guys like Cedric, CJ, Corey, Abercrombie, Vukona and the game style they employed most of the time. The 36ers title teams, (who didnt enjoy watching guys like Brooks, Mee, Maher, Cat, Farley) are other good examples of this, which means you can get the best of both worlds, and clubs should be striving for this, the lock down wrestling match style of the Wildcats seems to not really achieve either, sure they made the GF and got big local crowds, but wouldnt have excited the leagues fan base or casual fans we need to attract too much, didnt win the title, i think they would have had more of a chance to win it all if they did less wrestling personally, how bout focusing on learning to shoot the ball, the GF series wasnt exactly a spectacular spectacle of basketball skills either, like others have been.

I like this attitude from Marvin, learning from the best and striving for it is a good way to go.

Will be interesting to see who the next coach is too, i assume it will be someone who employs a more free flowing game style, a bit easier on the fans, whilst being still a strong defensive team, ie 98-99 36ers.

Reply #419155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers did this 6 years ago.

All NBL clubs have done the same at some point.

Reply #419156 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Posters - and the League, I suspect - need to define what they are talking about when discussing entertainment/being entertainers.

The key is what happens on court, not the hoopla that goes on around it. The peripherals are important, but they need to support the game; not get in the way of it or distract from it.

In cooking-show parlance, the game must be [and be allowed to be] the hero/champion of the 'dish' that is a night at the baskeball.

Reply #419157 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"was that the issue with Bevo and Marvin?

Marvin wanted a more entertaining game style? "

If you read the article, you'll see it had nothing to do with the brand of basketball they were playing.

Reply #419158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Run, stun and have some fun" !!!!!

Reply #419166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know the article doesnt, but Marvin appears to be very interested in the entertainment/game night experience aspect of the game, not just winning, and was assuming Bevo was all about the winning, even if it meant playing an un attractive style. Which in part they did.

Along with the fact they are likely to be replacing Bevo, sure may be Bevos choice, but Wildcats dont seem to upset either,so was wondering if this had come into play.

Bevo and Marvin have been long rumoured to have had a tense working relationship and both seem happy to part ways, was this the reason? if not what did happen? Especially given they have had some decent on court success with Bevo as coach.

Thats why i asked the question, wasnt specific to the article, just a thought and was wondering if anyone had some insight.

Reply #419185 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Its pretty simple the NBL is a business. Ask your kids if they remember the game or if they remember the experience of being at the game. If you want the NBL to be successful you have to bring in the experience as well as the sport.
Goto an AFL game..theres no downtime between entertainment, it might be crap but somethings ALWAYS happening. Keep people entertained and they come back.

"The key is what happens on court, not the hoopla that goes on around it. The peripherals are important, but they need to support the game; not get in the way of it or distract from it. "

The "peripherals" are what bring in the crowds, if you wanted to go see a basketball game and only a game you would visit local leagues for $5. The NBA isnt successful because it has the best players, its successful because it represents an entire experience. The lack of rules and proper referering highlight this the most. The thought that its just the basketball is niave at best.

Reply #419194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick Marvin, this is brillant. About time someone "got it". Can you please become CEO of the new NBL???

Reply #419205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skid is exactly right

Reply #419220 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Can't say I agree with skud at all on that one.
During times when the game is not in progress there is a lot more other stuff happening at Wildcats games than there is at the Dockers or Eagles, which have 2 x 5 minute breaks with nothing happening in the way of entertainment and a 20 minute break with only a junior match & some auskick games, which most people don't watch. The breaks are all about either consuming beers/food or relieving one's self of previously consumed beers/food.

I agree that peripherals are important to basketball, but only because the basketball itself is followed a lot less closely by joe average than the footy. The peripherals are an edge that basketball can have over AFL, which can potentially attract for example kids whose attention spans aren't great for close to 3 hours of footy action but can deal with basketball that has a lot of breaks in play that feature entertainment & competitions.
It's an edge that basketball needs to take better advantage of. The Cats took some small steps this past season at Perth Arena, and hopefully they build on that by improving some of the things they do (eg. DanceCam. The American's do it well in the NBA. The Cats' version was half-arsed and a bit lame, but can be fixed) and adding some new stuff (such as making better use of the video screens).

Reply #419233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant skud

Reply #419234 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

... the occasional dunk & flashy move doesn't hurt either, btw. I think Nick is pretty aware of that too. I think this season's Wildcats has the lowest "wow" factor for a long time and it does hurt.

Big wins were largely boring for the home fans this season, and we had plenty of them. Throw in a couple of showtime moves and perhaps the perception changes a little for the average fan.
I'm a bit of a purist but even I'd like to see an alley-oop or an ankle-breaker move more than once every 2 months.

Reply #419236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Dunkin Dan. I watched some Wildcats games from 1993 the other day.

Incredible difference. Was so much more exciting.

The speed of the game made it really entertaining in those days

Reply #419237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While the cats are without a coach, Marvin should sign Bennie Lewis just for the entertainment factor of dunks and alley oops

Reply #419240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weren't Perth the most boring & bland team in the NBL last year? They look like a church team!

Reply #419245 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yes, I think it's fair to say that we were the most bland team in the league last season. That can't continue if we want to keep filling Perth Arena, and Perth Arena by all accounts is very expensive to play in so we do need to keep the crowd levels up.
You don't want to be a losing team. Everyone would rather win. But I suspect that an exciting 16-12 team would keep more bums in seats than a bland 22-6 team.

Reply #419249 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

The wildcats sent members a survey via e-mail after the regular season wanting to know our thoughts on absolutely everything from the court side announcer to the price of food to the length of games and if we gave under 6/10 then they wanted to know why we gave such a low number...

I'm hoping what the Wildcats are doing is taking this feedback and seeing what NBA organizations have done to rectify any issues.

With the mega stadium there for us to use I'm sure it's more a case of half time entertainment and promotional ideas and other ways to interact and excite the fans.

Say what you like about the Perth Wildcats style last season, I thought it was the best fun I've had in a very long time and I can't wait to be a member again next season

Reply #419276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comparing NBL to AFL on any level....Well, It's not a bright thing to do!

Reply #419278 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Can't believe this ended up with getting James Ennis and the Championship... good times.

Wonder if the other clubs have done similar trips since.

Reply #556239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at the topic header. The entertainment is subpar at best, see other thread about this running at the moment. US visit is a nice holiday oops I mean business trip.

Reply #556242 | Report this post

Mel O'McKarona  
Years ago

Cats doing a terrible job of entertaining the punters. Pathetic crowds despite the bargain ticket prices. Oh wait

Reply #556251 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gee, I have no idea how Perth has become the most successful team in the NBL, with the biggest crowds, when apparently our CEO is an idiot who knows nothing, and all we do is waste money on holidays to the USA?

Reply #556253 | Report this post

I know  
Years ago

Well he jacks up the prices of all the merchandise over retail to pay for his junkets.

He also gets bootleg stuff made to avoid paying royalties to the NBL and the other Clubs.

His lovely staff will also not comply with contracts when it suits them.

The CEO is not an idiot, he is actually just a conniving liar that will bankrupt a League to line his own pockets.

Reply #556255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right time right place gents. He isn't too bright. Didn't want the LK revamp. and when he took the reigns unofficially last season it was a complete joke.

Reply #556261 | Report this post

Jones  
Years ago

It's all about supply and demand boys, the Wildcats are one of the hottest tickets around. The club has set the standard.

They're run so much professionally than any other club in the league and they'll charge accordingly to not only survive but thrive.

Without the Wildcats, the league might as well fold. ;)

Reply #556267 | Report this post

I know  
Years ago

They need to charge more, gotta make 2 lots of payments

Reply #556270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marvin did not single handedly build the Arena. Right place right time.

Reply #556271 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754