Anonymous
Years ago

RIP: The spin move

Since refs have been told to focused on the travel call on a spin move, seems as though they can't decipher between picking up the pivot or not. So now we see any and every spin move called a travel.
Footy has lost the bump, we have lost the spin move.

Topic #31704 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Effective spin move is difficult skill to acquire that needs a lot of practice. Unfortunately many refs are too ready to call a travel when they see moves they are not used to see often. Slow and/or lateral two steps in layups is another one.

Reply #419327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's pretty poor. They have no idea on step throughs either, unless it's by a post player!

Reply #419329 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was one of the good things this year in the NBL, the spin move became legal again, not before time either, what the powers that be thought was being gained by calling it is beyond me.

Reply #419334 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Australia is the only country in the world who has had a problem with the spin move. Why??
Its one of the exciting plays a player can make and players like it, fans like it. Boom, we take it away. Nice work!
Glad to see it is coming back.

Reply #419340 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The spin move got called a travel because the coaches wanted it called. The coaches formed a group at a blitz in Darwin and made Stacker their spokesman, they wanted everything called...everything

Reply #419368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It comes down to the Ref some just call it a trav and wouldn't know how many steps were taken... But the spin move itself is hard to pull off without a travel here or there

Reply #419398 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Wow, lucky Tony Parker not playing in Australia.

Reply #419424 | Report this post

It's usually called because the player picks up the ball with their "plant" (or stopping foot) on the ground, then take 2 more steps in the spin, which means they pick up and reground that foot.
If however they continue the dribble in the spin (ie. don't pick up the ball) then they can take the 2 steps.

The trouble I see is that refs started to allow all kinds of travels to happen including players taking 4 steps on the spin because they would then throw in a step through on the end of it.
This was then stopped (as it should have been) and it looked like the move was effectively being outlawed.

If the player does it correctly the move is perfectly legit and shouldn't be called.

Reply #419477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats the theory, but unfortunately, ref's are pretty bad at determining footwork, so the ones executed correctly still get called regardless.
Good theory to stamp out the travels, just not practical with ref's not being well trained/good enough to make the right call.

Communism also is a good theory, not practical.

Reply #419480 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I feel sorry for refs these days. If they watch a lot of NBA / NBL and the women's versions, they'll see different rules from what they have to call. It must affect what they call.

I've had refs allow NBA travels in division games, and I don't think it was because they were letting the game flow.

Reply #419486 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Possibly one of the most subjective calls made in our game. Let's face it, when it is the opposition player making a spin move we yell out 'TRAVEL' almost as one, then when it is called against us we complain...

I like the move, and when completed correctly it should not be called. Basketball is a high skill game and we do not want to discourage skillful players from this wonderful move, so next time you see it don't yell out, just clap it and if it is called for a travel say 'BAD LUCK MATE, NEXT TIME.'

Reply #419493 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754