Mystro
Years ago

NBA Draft Combine Noise

NZ's Steve Adams has made some noise in the combine with some saying he's going to emerge one of the biggest winners from the talent on display.

He gave a great humble national tv interview which wouldn't have hurt his stocks. (available on his FB fan page to watch along with some other good articles).
https://www.facebook.com/stevenadamsfanpage?ref=ts&fref=ts

Adam's is singled out by the bleacher report for his upsides and skills which were missed at Pitt.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1643015-nba-draft-combine-results-2013-winners-and-losers-from-chicago

If he continues to shine he might disappear in the top 14 with some prospects stocks falling as they struggle with the pressure and their jump shots and fail to measure up.

Adam's measured 7ft in sneakers, and a monstrous 7'4.5'' wingspan, almost an inch longer than Nerlens Noel's.

Topic #31707 | Report this topic

Nike Al  
Years ago

Could be a good selection for the spurs if he doesn't go too early

Reply #419367 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

As long as he gets picked up for a team that needs him
Not this stockpiling of talent bullshit
Player gets bored, splinters up his arse
Rapes the D-League but only gets garbage time in the nba fo shizzle my nizzle

Reply #419374 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

You mean like Corey Joseph? Have to say I agree, great observation Raichu

Reply #419402 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Yeah , corey isn't even that great. He couldn't even guard Austin Rivers in high school.
Jarvis Varnado from the Heat, future shotblocking machine
He just needs minutes and games in his bank
Way too good for D-League!!!
Adams will have a good future if he stays injury free
Don't want him to be another Bogut or Jawai
Injuries are just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reply #419410 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Read this in Chad Ford's draft notes from Day 1 of the combine (Article needs ESPN Insider)...

Pittsburgh's Steven Adams was the big winner on Day 1. Not only did Adams look the part of a NBA center (he measured 7 feet, 250 pounds with a 7-foot-4.5 span), but he showed off some terrific athleticism and toughness on the defensive end. However, that's not what wowed scouts. Adams showed off a surprising -- no, shocking -- offensive game, hitting jump shot after jump shot with a feathery touch.

"I can say I was honestly stunned," one NBA GM said. "Where did that come from? That's not something you develop with a few weeks with a trainer. He was way more skilled than we thought. That makes a huge difference in our evaluation of him."

It was the same story GM after GM. Even veteran scouts seemed surprised by Adams' skill set. He's not Marc Gasol, but the fact he showed anything from an offensive skills standpoint was huge. How big? Virtually every GM I spoke with had him pegged as a top-10 pick. He'll have to keep up this pace in workouts, but no one had a bigger day.

Reply #419416 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Corey Joseph has as good as won the back up pg spot at Spurs. Not sure if you fans watch any Spurs. Remember he was not at uni in Texas long and the D-League did him wonders.

Defensively he is very good. offensively he does his bit and has the makings of a nice little jump shot.

Back to Steve, yer I'm hearing very good things about him. Remember Spurs have the NZ connection on the staff as well.

Reply #419420 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Measurements really similar to Oden.

If I was a GM I would be intrigued by his body composition and build.

He has great bf %, very strong without unnecessary bulk.

Bottom line, he looks and plays like a player that can be around a long time and remain healthy and injury free.

Look at the family genetics (Valerie).

Len and Plumlee still above him in mock drafts. I expect that to change dramatically when he comes across those players in workouts and he has the freedom to show what he can do (which he didnt have at PITT)

Reply #419423 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Big hand measurements are also underrated trait that work in Adams' favour. He should go pretty high in what looks to be a weak as piss draft. Not many bigs with upside outside of Gobert and Noel.

Reply #419441 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Nerlans Noel weighed in at around 206 pounds. To put that in perspective, Noel weighs less than Deron Williams and just six pounds heavier than Jeremy Lin.

Reply #419483 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

OKC have pick 12, Adams would be a great replacement for Perkins in 2 years time. They aren't affaid to pick project type players, ie Ibaka, Sefolosha

I am a Dallas fan and they have pick 13 and need a good Center. So they may grab him, but they need everything except a PF so who knows :)

Wahington, Philli and Portland could use a good defensive C as well so there are a lot of spots from 8-14 that Adams could get picked.

Good luck to him.

Reply #419487 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And Noel he has a torn ACL and thin shoulders (ie. a sign that he doesn't have the capacity to add that much weight). Wouldn't take him number 1 if he came for free. I would be trading way down in this draft. Not much to be had.

Adams is easy lottery pick for me.

Reply #419489 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Noel will probably go to the Bobcats, take 4 years to come good and then sign with a big city team. ie Lakers, NYC
Or be a complete bust judging on the Bobcats previous draft history :)

Bad year to get a top lottery pick, you could probably get a player just as good in the late teens.

Reply #419490 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Bobcats need a miracle to make the playoffs anytime soon
Magic is on the way up Vucevic a rebound machine
Spurs would be a great team for Adams , if he plays good, works hard , he will get minutes!
Prefer him on a team with a solid back court that runs the transition well , he could backup Noah at the Bulls
Can see him playing in Memphis , muscling up with Gasol & Randolph.
Boston could use a strong bigman right now

Reply #419497 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Hate when Noel comes into all the forums/articles about Adams
Steve is stronger, faster, taller, longer
And he owned him high school
Noel is a skinny shotblocker
He will just get pushed around

Reply #419498 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Chris Paul could push Noels out of the paint @ 206lbs.

There has been mention of Boston looking at Steve but in his National Interview he mentioned he would love to play with John Wall in Washington as he loves to get out and run.

Reply #419505 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Would he like washington weather?
Imagine the conversations that would occur in the wizards camp. With Vesely the only light skinned player in the team atm. In comes this 7foot fair skinned tongan/english dude with his jandals and guitar . A locker room full of negros jamming along to the big kiwi , eating meat pies lol
Would be hilarious to coach him , he would definetly be a shoe in to get taken under shaqs wing . Get up to mischief!

The moment I'm looking forward to in Steves cqreer is either dunking it on Mcgee/Bogut/Howard
Or blocking Bryant/Anthony/Wade/James shot!

Nba 2k13 Byron Mullens looks more like Adams then mullens IMO

Reply #419567 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

David Aldridge Big Board Centers

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/features/david_aldridge/05/20/david-aldridges-big-board-centers-2013-draft/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt6d

Reply #419632 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Hawks & OKC looking at grabbing Steven Adams

Reply #420120 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754