Isaac
Years ago

NBA Great George Mikan, 1924-2005

Mikan, who had been suffering from diabetes and kidney failure, died on Wednesday night.

He had battled several complications from his illnesses. Mikan's right leg was amputated several years ago, and he recently was hospitalized for more than a month for treatment of a diabetes wound in his left leg. Mikan also spent 35 hours a week on a dialysis machine.
Mikan was recognised as the game's best player for the first half of the 20th century, playing for the Minneapolis Lakers and winning six championships in seven years. He won six straight scoring titles and was admitted into the Hall of Fame in 1959.
Mikan's use of his broad shoulders and sharp elbows caused the NBA to widen the foul lane from six feet to 12 feet to move him away from the basket and implement the 24-second shot clock so teams would not freeze the ball against Mikan and the Lakers.

He was so dominant at DePaul that he forced university basketball officials to adopt the goaltending rule.
You can read more about George Mikan at the NBA History site.

Topic #3174 | Report this topic

Kriss  
Years ago

I dont think there was one player who changed the game more than George Mikan. As Bob Cousy said- "People say Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson used to carry their teams on their back, well george Mikan carried the whole league!"

Reply #36696 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

i echo that kriss.mikan was the root the nba grew from.

Reply #36744 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

now i know where pat Mikan got her genes from!

Reply #36771 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Did you know Shaq paid for the funeral?

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/3662406

Reply #36773 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754