Isaac
Years ago

Canberra to host 2013 FIBA Oceania Championships

Canberra will host the 2013 FIBA Oceania Championships between Australia and New Zealand this August - ahead of 17th FIBA Basketball World Cup to be held in Spain and Turkey next year.

The double header – to take place in the nation's capital as part of Canberra’s Centenary – will feature the Australian Boomers and Jayco Australian Opals taking on the New Zealand Tall Blacks and Tall Ferns.

The two-game series will tip off in Auckland on Wednesday August 14, before arriving in Canberra at the AIS Arena on Sunday August 18.
Dates:
Qualification events for the 2014 FIBA Men’s Basketball World Cup, Spain

The 17th FIBA Basketball World Cup for men will be held 30 August– 14 September, 2014 in Spain. Host nation Spain and Olympic Champions the USA have automatically qualified. 22 places remain to qualify at the following events:

1–11 August - 2013 FIBA Asia Championship, Philippines – 3 places
14 & 18 August - 2013 FIBA Oceania Championship – Auckland/Canberra – 2 places
20 - 31 August – 2013 FIBA Africa Championship – Ivory Coast – 3 places
30 Aug–11 Sept – 2013 FIBA Americas Championship – Venezuela – 4 places
4–22 Sept – FIBA EuroBasket 2013 – Slovenia, 6 places
(Plus four wildcards)

Qualification events for the 2014 FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup, Turkey

The 17th FIBA Basketball World Cup for women will be held 27 September 27– 5 October, 2014 in Turkey. Host nation Turkey and Olympic Champions, the USA have automatically qualified. 14 places remain to qualify at the following events:

15–30 June 2013 - EuroBasket Women 2013, France – 5 places
14 & 18 August - 2013 FIBA Oceania Championship – Auckland/Canberra – 1 place
20 - 29 Sept - 2013 FIBA Africa Championship – Maputo, Mozambique – 2 places
23 to 29 Sept - 2013 FIBA Americas Championship –Xalapa, Mexico 3 places
27 Oct - 3 Nov - 2013 FIBA Asia Championship – Bangok, Thailand – 3 places

Topic #31744 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

Does anyone know the last time the Boomers played in Canberra? I remember a pre Barcelona Olympics Boomers vs NBL USA All Stars game there in 1992, but I'm not sure if this is the last time they played there.

Reply #420021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball will join Canberra's centenary party when it is confirmed the Australian Boomers and Australian Opals will play a double-header against New Zealand at AIS Arena in August.

And officials are confident home-grown hero Patrick Mills, fellow NBA star Andrew Bogut and Canberra Capitals favourite Lauren Jackson will put their hand up to play.

ACT Sports Minister Andrew Barr, Boomers coach Andrej Lemanis, Opals coach Brendan Joyce and Basketball Australia chief executive Kristina Keneally will announce on Friday Canberra will host game two of a three-game world cup qualifying series.

The double-header will take place on Sunday, August 18, and is the first time the Opals and Boomers have played on the same day in the capital. The Boomers haven't played in Canberra for a decade, and proud Canberran point guard Mills is believed to be keen to wear the green and gold for the first time in his home town.
Advertisement

Mills could return as an NBA champion, his San Antonio Spurs currently 2-0 up against Memphis in the western conference finals.

Centre Bogut returned from an ankle injury in time to help guide Golden State Warriors to the second round of the play-offs.

While they have dominated New Zealand in recent qualifying series, the Boomers traditionally field their strongest side after missing out on the 2002 tournament when upset by the Kiwis.

It will also be an overdue chance for Canberra fans to watch Jackson up close after she missed the entire 2012-13 WNBL campaign with the Capitals through injury.

The 32-year-old announced earlier this year she would sit out the entire WNBA season for Seattle in order to recover from a chronic hamstring issue.

It means she should be fit and rested for the series, which the world No.2 Opals traditionally win comfortably over the No.22-ranked New Zealand. The world cup will be held in Spain in September, and is the first major assignment for Lemanis and Joyce after their recent appointments to replace Spurs assistant Brett Brown and Canberra Capitals coach Carrie Graf.

Canberra is scheduled to host Canterbury Bulldogs in a round 23 NRL clash at Canberra Stadium.

The Raiders traditionally ask to play on Sunday afternoons, which would directly clash with the basketball double header which will tip-off around 2pm.

It is believed Basketball ACT plans to hold discussions with the Raiders and NRL about avoiding a scheduling clash.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/stars-to-align-for-centenary-show-20130523-2k4d0.html#ixzz2UAiGlpQO

Reply #420023 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

If there are two places available in Ocenia for the mens, I can't see Bogut making himself available, as we have already qualified. Patty might play just to get some minutes.

Reply #420026 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Patty will play because it's in his hometown.

Reply #420027 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Surely GSW would put some pressure on Bogut not to play.

During the playoffs, they must have realised the value of Bogut. They're probably thinking that they are close to getting the best out of him (as he is on track to be completely 100 % for next season..the first in a while)

Don't forget Baynes as well. I would assume he would get clearance to play. But you never know what's going on behind the scenes.

Baynes signed a 3 year deal (didn't he). And next season is a team option I believe.
So he may be wish to stay in SA over summer, get immersed in the club and push hard to get a roster spot. Duncan could easily just crash and breakdown next season and Baynes offers comparable service (if not better) to Splitter

Reply #420030 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good point on Mills Vart.

Taken from the release:

"Basketball Australia Chief Executive Officer Kristina Keneally said Canberra - fast becoming a mecca for basketball in Australia – would be a fitting host for the FIBA Oceania Championships, one of the biggest tournaments on the high performance calendar."

Really? Canberra fast becoming a mnecca for Australian basketball? Since when? just because the AIS/CoE islocated there does not make it a mecca! The town was unable to sustain an NBL team...

Reply #420031 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Forgot a Brisbane, second-Melbourne or Wellington team into the NBL.

Canberra will be the next city (or town/village?) with a team.

I would feel sorry for the players that had to play there -_-

Reply #420033 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Wow so last year this game was listed to be played in melbourne . PMO

Reply #420035 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

MACDUB, I dont think Baynes option comes up until the end of next season. Pretty sure his deal was two-years (this season and next season) with a two-year option.

Reply #420038 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

You're right LC. Say whatever you like about KK, but she knows how to spin it! Canberra is becoming the 'mecca' of basketball, and the Gunners are 'fierce'! Ha ha.

Reply #420039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the article from Dec 4 last year regarding the 2013 Oceania Championships:

A draw ceremony was held in Churchill, Australia to decide the order of games in the 2013 FIBA Oceania Championships for Men and Women.
Melbourne to host first game, Auckland to stage decider...

Aaliyah Ah Kiong and Kristle McKenzie, the captains of the New Zealand and Australian teams competing in the final of the Pacific Youth Basketball Championships in Churchill, Australia, took a break from competition to assist in the draw which decided how the 2013 FIBA Oceania Championships will be played.

The Championships will decide the Oceania qualifiers for the 2014 FIBA World Cup for men in Spain and for women in Turkey.

Earlier, the FIBA Oceania Board had decided that for the next two editions of the event, the series will be played as a home-and-away two game series and that the men and women will play their games om the same program.

Auckland and Melbourne have been nominated as the host cities by Basketball New Zealand and Basketball Australia.

The draw ceremony in Churchill was to decide where the opening game of the series would be played, and then the host for the final and deciding game.
FIBA Oceania President Bob Elphinston, Basketball New Zealand Board Member Burton Shipley and Basketball Australia's Graeme Allen were at centre court to see the draw conducted.

As a result of the draw;
Game 1 will be played August 14th in Melbourne, Australia.
Game 2 will be played August 16th in Auckland, New Zealand
-ends-

-----------------

wonder what prompted the change from the original plans???

Reply #420043 | Report this post

Raichu  
Years ago

Canberra you better sellout!
I was looking forward to cheering Mika & the boys on

Reply #420101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is form an article regarding Joyce wanting to get Phillips back into the Opals side, but it finished with talking about the Oceania Championships:

In the case of the men, both Australia and New Zealand will qualify for the worlds, their two-game series in Auckland on August 14 and in Canberra on August 18 only contributing to their world championship seeding.

But for the Opals, it is cut-throat.

"I've never taken a team lightly and I'm not about to start," Joyce said of the NZ series, the newly-appointed national women's basketball coach hoping to suit key members of the London Olympic Opals team.

The Opals-Boomers double-header in the national capital will be part of Canberra's Centenary celebrations.

"Canberra is one of Australia's strongest sporting hubs, housing our elite program at the Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence at the AIS and boasting such fierce teams in the Canberra Capitals and Canberra Gunners," Basketball Australia chief executive Kristina Keneally said.

"It is only fitting that the proud basketball community in our nation's capital should showcase these championships at the world class AIS Arena as the Boomers and Opals tip-off their campaign toward the 2014 World Cup."

ACT Deputy Chief Minister and Minister for Tourism and Events, Andrew Barr, said the traditional cross-Tasman rivalry between Australia and New Zealand in all sports made the Oceania series a great addition to the Centenary sporting calendar.

-------

Would love to know what drugs Keneally is on to call both the Caps & Gunners "fierce" teams when you consider how they have gone in recent years. I know the Gunners have put in an improved performance so far this year, but "fierce" isn't the first word that comes to mind to describe either of those teams.

Reply #420110 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Wonder where all the bogut talk came from? maybe lemanis has spoken tol him recently?

Reply #420111 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Is this shown on Ten Network and One?

Reply #420153 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

From Boti's site;

PATTY Mills has every intention of suiting for Andrej Lemanis' Boomers in the Oceania Series against New Zealand, despite missing the rest of the NBA Championship series with a foot injury.

Patty, who scored for San Antonio against Miami in Games 2 and 3 after getting late-game minutes, was in his street clothes for Games 4 and 5 after minor surgery to remove an abscess between the fourth and fifth toes of his right foot.

"That'll be right," he told me from Miami today where the Spurs are preparing for Game 6 against the Heat tomorrow.

As for suiting against the Tall Blacks?

"I've definitely put my hand up for it," he said.

"One of those games is in Canberra and I've never had a chance before to play for Australia in front of my home crowd."

The match is on Sunday, August 18.

Patty also spoke about the NBA playoffs, his future, towel-waving and the Crows, some of which you can catch later today at www.adelaidenow.com.au and the rest later this week.

Reply #423649 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

I was going to take my daughter to this, but just checked the ticket prices. $51 for the cheapest adult ticket! Outrageous. Count me out.

Reply #432619 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

Not to mention my 3yr old will cost $31.

Reply #432621 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754