Isaac
Years ago

Phil Jackson would pick Russell before Jordan

If Phil Jackson was picking his own dream team, his squad would start with someone other than Michael Jordan.

"In my estimation, the guy that has to be there would be Bill Russell. He has won 11 championships as a player," Jackson said in an interview with Time. "That's really the idea of what excellence is, when you win championships."

Russell, the centerpiece of the Boston Celtics dynasty in the 1950s and 1960s, won 11 titles and was a five-time Most Valuable Player and 12-time All-Star during his iconic 13-year career. He also won two NCAA championships with San Francisco and was the captain of the United States' gold-medal-winning team at the 1956 Olympics.
Can see where he's coming from as a defensive anchor is invaluable.

Russell had a season averaging 29.9... REBOUNDS PER GAME

Never noticed before, but his FG% is low for a centre - 43%. Was that the norm for that era?

Topic #31757 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Robert Horry won 7 as a player but would you pick him over Jordan ?? And before anyone starts with " but Russell won 11 'ships and was a 5 time MVP " are we picking a team to play in the 60's ?
It drives me mad that people think that if you were a great player in the 60's -70's that you would have any effect in todays game .

Reply #420185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh and another thing please remember Jackie Moon played in the 70's !!

He didn't win much but he did win a mega bowl !!

Reply #420187 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'm not sure of the stats Isaac, but I know Russell wasn't particularly known for his offence.

Defence on the other hand, he had no peer. He was so far ahead of all his contemporaries because he had exceptional athleticism AND he out-thought his opponents all the time.

Apparently he used to size up his opponents. He would let them get the shots they wanted early in games, work out how he could stop that shot and then, at the end of the game, he'd shut them down just when their team was depending on them for clutch buckets.

Over time, he would mess with people, sometimes taking away their shots, sometimes letting them shoot. Just so they were never sure whether they had a good look or not.

He also realised that horizontal space was more important than vertical space on a basketball court. At a certain point, being able to jump higher than your opponent becomes redundant, because the rim is only 10 ft high!

Being able to control the horizontal, or lateral space is far more important:
- staying in front of your man to prevent penetration
- forcing your man towards help
- closing down passing angles with good positioning
- getting to rebounds, whichever direction they fly off
- creating space to get your shot off through good offensive spacing and the ability to create it for yourself

All of these things are about lateral movement and positioning, rather than leaping ability.

If he played in the modern era, I believe he would still be a dominant defensive player, simply because his athleticism, drive and intelligence were all elite. The only thing he was lacking back then was knowledge of modern nutrition, fitness, etc that all players have today.

I think a good modern comparison might be an intelligent Dennis Rodman who also blocks shots! :-)

Reply #420189 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

are we picking a team to play in the 60's ?
Clearly players from decades past would struggle in the modern NBA, but (also clearly) these comparisons allow for the hypothetical of a player of that era being trained up as athletes of the present are.

Reply #420190 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

This Phil Jackson guy clearly knows nothing about Basketball.

Reply #420191 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

"In my estimation, the guy that has to be there would be Bill Russell. He has won 11 championships as a player," Jackson said in an interview with Time. "That's really the idea of what excellence is, when you win championships."

Not just patting himself on the back is he?

Reply #420195 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I dont understand why everyone thinks Phil Jackson is such an amazing coach. He walks into stacked teams and wins championships with them...
He has never built a team from the ground up into a championship team and when the star players leave..he is next to abandon the team.

Reply #420222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

on a team full of stars there is a lot of ego's to manage

Reply #420224 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Only reason Bill or Wilt would have any struggles in modern NBA would be due to Stern changing rules so that bigs can't play the position properly. Both of these guys would run circles on most the NBA bigs today

Reply #420231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah and Shaq would've dominated Wilt too if both had have played at the same time. Shaq was so much bigger and stronger. Not interested in Wilt averaging 50ppg one year or Russell averaging 23rpg, it was essentially amateur/rec league stuff back then.

What a lot of people are missing with Phil is he used to love putting his star players back in their place especially after just pumping them up. The other week he was going on about how much of a better basketball player Jordan was Kobe and is now just giving one back to Jordan with these Russell comments.

No one alive especially Phil Jackson would take Russell over Jordan. He's just trying to sell his book.

Reply #420242 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

He was also a ridiculous passer from what has been said; after Cousy left they pretty much ran the offence through Russell for the other 5 championships. He might not have been a great scorer/shooter, but he was fantastic at every other aspect of the game

Reply #420244 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

I do think Russell was a great player but I wouldn't rate him in Jordan. Imo I would go
Pg. Magic
Sg Jordan
SF Lebron
Pf Bird
C. Shaq

Reply #420245 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Yeah, picking Russell ahead of Jordan would be like picking Bradman ahead of Ponting for your cricket team, 'cos cricket was "essentially amateur/rec league stuff back then". Now there's a powerful and well thought out argument!

Reply #420246 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's not necessarily naming the best player of all time. He's picking the starting piece for a dream team aiming to win championships.

Reply #420248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah, picking Russell ahead of Jordan would be like picking Bradman ahead of Ponting for your cricket team, 'cos cricket was "essentially amateur/rec league stuff back then". Now there's a powerful and well thought out argument!"

If Wilt had a career average almost twice the next best player you might've had a point.

Reply #420277 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Not sure about the cricket analogy tbh

Reply #420282 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Psycho, Hakeem > Shaq regardless of championships

Reply #420285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will go with that. I would take Hakeem over Shaq any day. Great scorer and defender. Much more versatile. Hakeem dominated every great centre of his era and there were many of them.

Reply #420287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hakeem over Shaq lol

Prime Hakeem barely outplayed a young Shaq (3rd season) in the 95 Finals!

Imagine what 2000-02 era Shaq would've done to him?

Reply #420383 | Report this post

I would choose Russell over Jordan to start a team any day!

Russell is the greatest defender of all time and he can rebound ridiculously well.

However...I will admit Jordan is the better player of all time and based on pure talent alone, I would pick him.

But Russell is a far better leader, winner and a larger will to win, so for the back bone of my team I would choose Russell without blinking an eye

Reply #420415 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

GRIFFINRONDOPIERCE23, you know all this about Bill Russell because you watched him play yeah?

Reply #420424 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Anonymous "Prime Hakeem barely outplayed young Shaq", are you kidding? He completely outplayed him

Shaq-28.25pts(46/82[56%])12.25rebs,3.5blks,5asts,5.25 TO
Hakeem-32.5pts(54/108[50%])11.75rebs,1blk,6.75asts,2.75TO

Also don't believe the stats either, go back and watch the games. Hakeem clearly outplays him as well in crunch time.
His defence in that series is phenomenal, something the stats don't show. Shaq is no where near close to be as good a defender as Hakeem is

Reply #420437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous "Prime Hakeem barely outplayed young Shaq", are you kidding? He completely outplayed him

Shaq-28.25pts(46/82[56%])12.25rebs,3.5blks,5asts,5.25 TO
Hakeem-32.5pts(54/108[50%])11.75rebs,1blk,6.75asts,2.75TO

Also don't believe the stats either, go back and watch the games. Hakeem clearly outplays him as well in crunch time.
His defence in that series is phenomenal, something the stats don't show. Shaq is no where near close to be as good a defender as Hakeem is

Not sure where you found those stats but these are the actual stats for the 1995 NBA Finals series.

Hakeem-32.8ppg @ 48%, 11.5rpg, 5.5apg, 2.0bpg, 2.0spg, 2.8topg

Shaq-28ppg @ 60%, 12.5rpg, 6.3apg, 2.5bpg, 0.3spg, 5.3topg

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1995_finals.html

Look I've seen all four games in that series probably 10 times each and no one is disputing the Rockets were the better team (4-0 and all that) but prime-Hakeem barely outplayed a 3rd year Shaq.

Shaq almost had triple-doubles in the first three games of the series. If guys like Nick Anderson & dennis Scott hadn't have disappeared in that series everyone would've been talking about Shaq being a deserved a Finals MVP for outplaying Hakeem that series. It was that close.

Reply #420441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A massive Shaq dunk on Hakeem for posterity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCkU2fKK4_4

Shaq left handed slam on Hakeem in the 94 ASG (halfway through his 2nd season):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZZ3T7pKas

Reply #420442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now David Robinson was laughing at Hakeem in that last video so to be fair here is Shaq destroying Robinson in the 96 ASG which even Jordan loved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztvmf228wvQ

Reply #420444 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

You honestly think that Hakeems supporting cast was better than Shaq's that year? Isn't the whole idea that the best player makes everyone else better? Every time it got to a clutch moment Hakeem delivered. Plus in the final moments they could pass the ball to Hakeem unlike Shaq who would just be fouled by the opposing team

Reply #420451 | Report this post

Micheal Jordan  
Years ago

Hey guys settle down now Phil just wants to crate hype for his book. I am the greatest.

Reply #420452 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'd love to see Oscar Robertson play in the professional era, he had traits and skills and size superior to your average benchwarmers but how good would he have been ?

Reply #420457 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Never noticed before, but his FG% is low for a centre - 43%. Was that the norm for that era?

I was just doing to research today on where Bridman's 16 consecutive (and counting) field goals rates historically and discovered Wilt once made 35 FG without a miss, it made me wonder whether the norm for that era was for centres to shoot a higher percentage than they do now!

Reply #420485 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

ha ha thumbs up to MJ, you are the greatest in my book.

Reply #420515 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754