ruzz
Years ago

New FIBA rules 2014?

Can anyone help me with some detailed information or links on the FIBA rule changes proposed for implementation after the 2014 World Champs?

I've looked on the FIBA site and I can't find anything. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

TIA

Topic #31785 | Report this topic

ruzz  
Years ago

FYI I finally found something with Google. It seems the proposed changes are:

* After an offensive rebound, the shot clock will reset to 14 seconds (not 24)

* The penalty for a technical foul will be one free throw and possession (not two and the possession)

* After two technical fouls on a player they will be ejected

* During the last two minutes of the game there will be a maximum of two timeouts per team, even if they have three left

* Some other change to the no-charge circle which I don't quite understand

Mostly these seem sensible. I'm not sure about the logic behind reducing the penalty for a technical foul, other than being more NBA-like.

BTW the link I found is:
http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/01/dunks/18120

Reply #420663 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

No reintroduction of the jump ball?

Reply #420676 | Report this post

Only change is change of name from World Championship to World Cup.

Any rule changes will be after the FIBA Basketball World Cup

Reply #420679 | Report this post

B-Man  
Years ago

I'm not a fan of the shot clock change for an offensive rebound. If your good enough to get the offensive rebound you should be able to get a fresh 24. To me it seems like it rewards bad defence.

Reply #420693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that if the shot has hit the ring as well?

Reply #420697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It could only be if the shot hits the ring otherwise it isnt a legitimate shot, the clock would continue to run. Otherwise a team would never be rewarded on defense.

The no charge zone....it's basically saying every competition must use it now.

Interesting that Euroleague may bring back the jump ball instead of the possession arrow. Tells me it will probably come back in after 2018 world cup.

Reply #420762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2019 World Cup.

Reply #420776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2018 world cup

olympics in 2008, 2012, 2016, 2020
world cup 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018

Reply #420777 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Basketball World Cup (or World Cup of Basketball) will be held in 2014 before changing to 2019 and being held the year before each Olympics.

Reply #420830 | Report this post

nick  
Years ago

can you send me the complete fiba rules 2014???

Reply #433789 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm sure they're available for download on FIBA's site if you look.

Reply #433793 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Here's a link to the new rules that come in from 1 October 2014:

http://fiba.com/downloads/Rules/2013/Official_Basketball_Rules_Changes_Effective_as_of_1st_October_2014.pdf

No-charge rule will be same as in the NBA, only two time-outs per team in final two minutes, 14 second o-board reset, tech foul penalty will be 1FT and possession.

Reply #433804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with that new rule on the shot clock feel for the shot clock operators. should be interesting to say the least!

Reply #433817 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's true. At least theyve finally got the no-charge rule right though, amazing they could stuff that up when the NBA has already shown how it was done!

Reply #433819 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

No-charge semi-circle to protect offensive player in air is good to have in every competition, I like the concept and it should not be hard to implement.

14 Second shot clock re-set after offensive rebound to speed up next shot, I like too.

Tech foul reduced to one shot and possession is interestingly compensated by a second tech foul resulting in the player being disqualified...

Overall I have no great issues with the changes, they seem to be after a quicker game with less chance a result is affected by tech fouls on the score board, but at the same time less tollerance for persistent or repeat tech fouls.

Reply #433820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just need to get the player who is not airborne who takes a step and plows through the player in the circle and wants no charge to be called to understand the bit about being airborne etc

Reply #433822 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I believe no charge rule will change to mean a foot on line is inside the no charge zone like the NBA, as opposed to current nonsensical FIBA interpretation.

Reply #433832 | Report this post

Asef  
Years ago

thanks

Reply #436107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will fiba release the interpretations on the rule changes

Reply #485664 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

I won't be putting up my hand to do the shot clock with that offensive rebound 14 sec rule. It's probably the most common error for shot clock operators already without the addition of having to decide whether to reset to 14 or 24.

Reply #485669 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754