Anonymous
Years ago

SYDNEY KINGS

I saw a tweet regarding Sydney Kings looking locally at SEABL imports to fill the 3/4 spot before looking overseas. They should look at giving Tony Lewis from Dandenong a try out. Good skill set and a hard worker.

Topic #31798 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for posting Tony, good luck this weekend

Reply #420811 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

MaFarlane at Bendigo is a cheap rebounding machine!

Reply #420827 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Like Ivan McFarlin's game. A bit of NBA experience never goes astray.

Reply #420837 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

It depends whether they want a 3 who can cover the 4 spot or more of a mobile big who is ideally suited to the power forward role but could slot into the 3 or 5. Versatility seems to be the key ingredient NBL coaches are looking for in recent times, especially the Kings.

There are even some local SEABL options worth a look although probably not the same standard and likely not much cheaper than SEABL imports, many of whom would probably play for close to NBL minimum. The points could be an issue for an import though.

Reply #420839 | Report this post

LeRoid James  
Years ago

How are guys with NBA experience playing in the SEABL? Surely they can get a higher paid gig elsewhere in the world.

Reply #420843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal was talking to a seabl coach only the other day

Reply #420849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like Ratsch from Ringwood - awesome.

Reply #420852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ratsch hilarious

Reply #420854 | Report this post

Captain Peacock  
Years ago

shane edwards?

Reply #420857 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I'd say LeRold is referring to McFarlin

Reply #420865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McGarkin's killing it at the moment. Strong, strady player and a good NBL fit.

Reply #420876 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

i know its not seabl. But there is two brothers who are imports on the newcastle hunters who aim to get into the nbl, they're really good too, one of them scored 39 points last game and dunked about 3-4 times

Reply #420896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McPharlin would be a decent back-up f/c to Ogilvy and Crosswhite.

I think they need a PG so either keep Henry or look at Jazz Ferguson.

Reply #420916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyones observing the seabl deba george is killing it this season. Well worth a spot in any NBL side with his current seabl perfomances

Reply #420920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deba needs to learn to pass in the NBL though. I also believe he left his last NBL team on bad terms.

He is playing good in the SEABL but not sure he would be a player Madgen would want on the team.

Reply #420938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He left Cairns on an undisclosed code of conduct issue.

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2012/02/23/207085_local-sport-news.html

http://andthefoul.net/archives/3038

Reply #420939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive stats for the Chargers.
Season Statistics FG 3PT FT Rebounds
M MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% TOT AST PTS
Season 13 479:15 103 - 204 50.5 47 - 99 47.5 49 - 60 81.7 4.7 4.2 23.2
Career 38 1317:56 252 - 569 44.3 122 - 307 39.7 81 - 100 81.0 3.8 4.1 18.6
If there were any issues with George he wouldn't be playing for Hobart. They are extremely vigilant about off court behaviour. george had a great season last year and this season he's taken his game to a whole new level. Well worth a re visit to the NBL.

Reply #420947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a great scorer in lesser comps, but his game doesn't seem suited to NBL. He needs to ball to be effective and in the NBL there are much better options.

Just cannot see any NBL team signing him.

Reply #420966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone talks about Jazz, CJ, Strong, Momo, someone from another club etc. Right now there is not a better player in the seabl than George.

Reply #420971 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's a different game. Deba George is not an NBL player.

Reply #420989 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Deba has great skills and a definite talent - but he doesn't have that professional mentality to take his game up to the NBL or overseas level. He was released due to issues with his professionalism towards training and following the game plan (not trying to win it with the ball in his hand and an NBL defence will stop him from doing what he does in lower comps). Really nice guy, super athlete but just not able to take his game to a fully professional level.

Reply #421025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many chances do you give George? Much better options out there.

Reply #421030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Venom you dont know why George was cut at all.Nothing to do with training issues.Mick you better tell Joey Wright that George isn't an NBL player.

Reply #421043 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Very few NBLers could do what Deba George is doing in SEABL. Outstanding talent will never get opportunity
to play as scorer in NBL. So no point in having him on team.

Reply #421090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that you Mick?

Reply #421147 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

Mick you seem to be such an expert. Deba has interest from numerous nbl clubs. Obviously you know more than those coaches do. Maybe you don,t know as much as you think.

Reply #421423 | Report this post

shitiveni 13  
Years ago

He ain't playing for kings next season

Reply #421437 | Report this post

Seablfan  
Years ago

Deba could play in the NBL in the right team. As long as you use him like a Jason Terry type, come in get some shots up quickly, if hitting the stay with him, if not put him on ice for next game.
You will have to accept his poor decision making at times and lack of defence, but you get an explosive scorer and someone who can ignite a break.

McFarlin isn't a PF he is a straight up C who needs to play 6ft from basket. He would no doubt be a good rebounder in NBL but you wouldn't expect anything out of him in terms of points other than offensive rebounds.

Jazz could be very much like Henry in NBL, up and down but could play for sure. Only question would be over the fact he is so light! Lack of height isn't the issue, it's the lack of body weight.

Other SEABL imports worth looking at -
PG - Mercer
SG - Richard
SF- Wilson
PF - Pichon
C - Gaff

Reply #421444 | Report this post

LoL  
Years ago

"He was released due to issues with his professionalism towards training and following the game plan"

That is incorrect, why make a comment when you don't actually know the reason...

Reply #421678 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Deba almost averaged a FGA every two minutes with Cairns despite shooting at 22%. Im not sure he's done anything to earn a Jason Terry type role.

Reply #421681 | Report this post

Seablfan  
Years ago

Paul, all I'm saying is that if an NBL team were to sign him then that would be the type of role you could use him in. Not sure the role he had was what I'm talking about so those stats aren't relevant.

Back to the cheap import debate, Wonder if Kings or any teams are looking at Montreal from Dandenong. Could be a very handy stretch 4 at NBL level and as a point of difference to most stretch 4s, he is quite athletic.

Reply #421694 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I know what youre saying and I agree that is the role that would best suit him, it's just that he had an impact role at Cairns but couldnt make the shots. It would be a risk for any club to put him in their 10 at a time when you need a full board of contributors.

Reply #421698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go look at the stats now Paul. Simply put what he did in the past and in producing on a weekly basis this season has no relation to now. Maybe if you looked into the local leagues in australia rather than the eu leagues you might know.

Reply #421704 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No matter what leagues I looked at I would still know Deba overshot the ball at a horrible percentage the last time he was in the NBL, so clubs will see him as a risk.

Reply #421707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow you are harsh Paul.George is arguably one of the best seabl players right now and 2 seasons ago wasnt it he shot poorly. Glad you arent an NBL coach.

Reply #421743 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ok, if Paul and Mrs George have come to some sort of agreement...

Nat mentioned in the Cairns thread that Kings due to announce their first import signing soon...

I wonder if it's their PG (letting go of Henry as they'd keep him on the hook as long as possible, I'm sure?) or their 3/4?

Reply #421863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They mentioned on Facebook there would be an exciting announcement tomorrow then deleted the post.

Word on Ozhoops is that it's a PG

Reply #421870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Corin Henry either according to the jungle drums.

Reply #421876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to the rumours on Ozho's Deba George is trialling for the wildcats. paulo should stick to journalism.

Reply #422015 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow, a guy who I said would be considered a risky signing is trialing with a club! Ill never show my face in public again!

Reply #422030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People talk about CJ Massingale or Jazzmar Ferguson getting a run with NBL teams as imports so you'd have to think a local in the same league with numbers just as good is a chance of a backup spot.

How many points would Deba be worth, 1?

Reply #422069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah 22.7 ppg @50.2 % is out of contral for this season. As was 18.5 ppg @ 44.3 % last season. For a 1 point player he's a poor decision maker clearly.

Reply #422070 | Report this post

Ace  
Years ago

Winston Robinson would be a great fit for Sydney Kings. Currently playing for Sunshine Coast Clippers in QBL and averaging 31 points ,11 rebounds and 5 assists per game.

Reply #423214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George has trialled extremly well for the Wildcats and as a 1 point player he would be a great asset.

Reply #423223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With no coach who has been trialling him? As a 1point player he does represent value and this could be an opportunity to restart his NBL career

Reply #423257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he a 1 point player? He was bad but not that bad last time in NBL. He should be at least 3. He had one or two good games for Cairns didnt he?

Reply #423262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a 1 point player.If he was that bad as you suggest why would you then say he should be a 3 point player? So the recent signings and sackings by the Wildcats are pointless as well seeing they have no coach?

Reply #423282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney can have him

Reply #423292 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754