AK-47
Years ago

NBA Mock Draft and Discussion Thread

Firstly, I'd like to come out and say that I think the following trade between the Phoenix Suns and the New Orleans 'You're kidding right?' Pelicans.

New Orleans Get:
Victor Oladipo
Marcin Gortat
Jared Dudley

Phoenix Get:
Eric Gordon.

I haven't adjusted my draft order to reflect this but I have allowed my selections to reflect the trade. I apologise in advance for the length of the post.

NBA Mock Draft

1. Cleveland Cavaliers - Nerlens Noel

The Cavs win the lottery again and get to add Nerlens Noel. The Cavs were so high on Otto Porter and will consider him here but at the end of the day will find Noel too hard to pass on. I haven't bought into the Noel hype as much as everyone else has but a defensive dynamo to anchor the Cavs into the playoffs is crucial. Hopefully Noel can add some muscle to his frame. Working himself into a Chris Bosh type shape should be the goal. If Noel can do this, he’ll be deserving of this number 1 pick because of his influence on the defensive end. There are obvious flaws in his offensive game but that’s not why he’s being drafted number 1. The Cavs won’t pass on him and add another very influential piece to a very young and exciting roster.

2. Orlando Magic – Trey Burke

Losing the lottery is almost a win for Orlando. This allows them to take Trey Burke who they’ve fallen in love with ever since Marcus Smart went back to college. Burke will be the point guard of the future and will be given every opportunity to learn from Jameer Nelson over the next few years. He’s my favourite player in the draft and I’m excited by this pick. Burke is as clutch as they come and as Orlando look to rebuild, Burke will rise to the challenge and lead this franchise into the future.

3. Washington Wizards – Otto Porter

Could there have been a bigger winner in the lottery? Washington not only jumped from eighth to third but are now in a position to add the best player in the draft to address their biggest need. Porter can do just about everything. A solid all-round scorer, great athlete, hard worker, good defender and perfect running mate for John Wall and Bradley Beal. The Wizards are starting to get real exciting and with a full year of John Wall at the point, the playoffs are certainly not out of the question.

4. Charlotte Bobcats – Ben McLemore

McLemore could easily be the best player in this draft and is another of my favourites. Charlotte, despite falling out of the top 3 land their perfect fit. McLemore is a great scorer, a good shooter, outstanding athlete and is loaded with defensive potential. Combining him with Walker and Kidd-Gilchrist forms a formidable perimeter trio that will bring some excitement to Charlotte. Charlotte may have looked like losers in the lottery, but they’ll be winners on draft day with this pick.

5. Phoenix Suns – Cody Zeller

Zeller blew people away with his size and athleticism at the combine. I’ve had Zeller to the Suns for a long time, even when they looked like getting the 4th pick. Zeller can score in the post and in face up looks with potential to extend his range out the 3pt land. Zeller adds athleticism to the Phoenix front court and is a pretty good fit. The Suns could go for some wing help with Oladipo but I just can’t seem them passing on Cody here. Don’t be surprised to see a Trade including Eric Gordon here.

6. New Orleans Pelicans – Victor Oladipo

Who knows what is going to happen with Eric Gordon. He doesn’t want to be in New Orleans, I’m sure as hell he doesn’t want to be a Pelican (who does) and the franchise who traded Chris Paul for him is growing sick and tired of his 'injuries’ and body language. Oladipo makes Gordon expendable despite not having the same scoring ability. Oladipo and Anthony Davis can help turn around the defensive fortunes of this franchise and both offer something on the offensive end as well, one of the reasons that makes both so valuable. If Oladipo is taken with this pick, the Pelican’s have gobbled up the right fish.

7. Sacramento Kings – Anthony Bennett

Trust Sacramento to take the guy who I dislike the most and who I feel is the most likely to be a bust. I don’t see Sac-Town’s fortune changing any time soon, especially with this pick. On paper is makes sense. The Kings add toughness and a go who can play the 3/4, two areas that the Kings aren’t real great in (are there any areas though?). Unfortunately on court I don’t see Bennett’s game translating to the next level. Happy to be wrong and for the King’s sake I hope I am.

8. Detroit Pistons – Michael Carter-Williams

Moving Brandon Knight off the ball turned out to be a positive for the Pistons offensively, unfortunately it forc es them a step back defensively. Adding Carter-Williams, a 6’6 point guard is a massively favourable pick for Detroit. MCW allows Knight to play off the ball on offense, yet guard the point guards on defense. Carter-Williams is loaded with defensive potential and if he can make the switch from Boeheim’s 2-3 zone to straight out, in your face man defense, this pick is going to be a great one. Carter-Williams is one of few players who I believe has star potential, unfortunately he’ll only go as far as his jump shot can take him. Look out for Detroit next year, they are due for a playoff berth.

9. Minnesota Timberwolves – Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Some may say this is a reach for the T-Wolves but I love this pick. KCP can score from just about anywhere. He has a great 3 point shot that will spread the floor for Love and Rubio’s penetration. What makes him even more valuable is the fact that he is a two way player. He is a tough defender that has the potential to grow even more at this end of the floor. Despite the threat of losing Pekovic in free agency, this is a great pick for Minny.

10. Portland Trailblazers – CJ McCollum

These two have been paired together for so long now. Portland need some serious scoring power off the bench and would love to have McCollum as that man. He offers scoring in so many ways and is also a worthy candidate to replace Lillard when he needs a breather. Behind their starters, Portland lack any kind of depth and McCollum just helps them in so many ways.

11. Philadelphia 76ers – Alex Len

Alex Len is a little bit of Andrew Bynum insurance. Having said that he’s a handy player in his own right. Offering the unique ability to shoot from range and play with his back to the basket, Len can be an offensive threat from the get-go. He sets great on-ball screens which will be great for Jrue Holiday and also has the athleticism to roll hard and finish at the rim. Len isn’t the most gifted defender when required to slide his feet but he will protect the rim for Philly and that’s all they’ll ask from their first round pick.

12. Oklahoma City Thunder – Mason Plumlee

Another pairing I’ve had locked together for a while now. I know Kelly Olynyk and Steven Adams are still on the board but I just love what Plumlee offers the Thunder. His athleticism, his effort, his intensity and his ability to finish around the rim is everything that Kendrick Perkins isn’t and with their lack of athleticism up-front the Thunder’s biggest concern, Plumlee is a great fit for this team.

13. Dallas Mavericks – Steven Adams

Don’t be surprised if Dallas and Milwaukee switch picks, however I feel Dallas’ biggest need is a legitimate prospect at the 5. Despite not really buying into Darren Collison as their starting PG, Adams offers Dwight Howard insurance and is a guy that actually looks pretty good next to Dirk Nowitzki. Adams has enough athleticism to protect the rim and make up for Nowitzki’s lack of rebounding; he’s capable in the post and on the elbow and perhaps most importantly, has a really bright future. If Dwight goes to Dallas the Mavs would probably go for a PG here, but with Atlanta, Houston and LA more likely destinations, I say Adams is a likely pick for the Mavs.

14. Utah Jazz – Shabazz Muhammad

I am stoked by this pick. Muhammad may not be as good as everything thinks but I definitely think he’s the best player left at this point. With all the flaws and negativity surrounding him, there is no doubt Muhammad comes into the league with the desire to be the best and with the potential to go pretty close. His dedication and work ethic is something that excites me as a Utah fan and despite the need for a PG, there’s no passing Shabazz at this point.

15. Milwaukee Bucks – Dennis Schroeder

Who knows where Ellis and Jennings end up next season and Schroeder offers insurance for both. I do believe he is the next best pure point guard behind Burke and MCW. Schroeder will see minutes immediately in Milwaukee and considering he’s a guy who wasn’t taken in the lottery in a less than satisfying draft, Schroeder will turn out the be one of the better players.

16. Boston Celtics – Kelly Olynyk

Kelly Olynyk is pretty stiff to fall out the lottery. It would surprise nobody if the Thunder picked him at 12 or Dallas did at 13. With Kevin Garnett’s future looking cloudy, Danny Ainge would happily snap Olynyk up with this pick. He can probably come in and be an effective scorer off the bench in his rookie year. Kelly will compete and despite his name and long hair, there’s nothing girly about the intensity he’s going to add off the bench. Great pick for the Celts.

17. Atlanta Hawks – Dario Saric

The Hawks are going to do most of their damage in free agency but with two picks in a row just outside the lottery, strengthening there bench and adding some talent is priceless. Saric offers something different at the 3/4. He can pass, rebound, shoot and score, he’s just a contributor who can do just about anything. I think he’s a bit of a douche, but he’s got game and Atlanta will like it.

18. Atlanta Hawks – Rudy Gobert

Anytime you can add a guy with the size of Rudy Gobert you’re doing yourself a favour. It’s hard not to be a presence when you have the size and length of Rudy. He’s still pretty raw offensively and he needs to add some weight and muscle desperately, but he’ll be effective in the middle for the Hawks as a role player and teammate. Very similar to Javale McGee, lets just hope he doesn’t think the same.

19. Cleveland Cavaliers – Tony Snell

Well, well, well Cleveland. What a draft you guys are having. Taking Noel and then Snell and covering the two major wholes in your roster at the same time, with the talent of these two is just exciting. Snell will have no issue playing alongside Irving and Waiters. Expect Snell to develop into one of those lock down wings who consistently knocks down corner pocket 3’s. Snell is a steal at 19. He resembles Kawhi Leonard in both looks and game which is something Cleveland fans will absolutely love.

20. Chicago Bulls – Tim Hardaway Jr

Hardaway has killed it in everything shooting since he’s nominated for the draft. He’s a decent athlete who has the potential to continue to add new skills to his offensive and defensive arsenal. He’s very much a simple player right now, but as his career begins to unfold, his potential to do a variety of good things will too. Hardaway may just be a shooter for now, but don’t expect that to be his only move for long.

21. Utah Jazz – Shane Larkin

I’ll admit Shane Larkin is growing on me. I don’t like him at 14 but I’m willing to grab him at 21. I like that despite his size, he can shoot the ball and score in a variety of ways. He’s an excellent distributor and insane ball handler. The thing that excites me the most about Larkin is his ability to score and facilitate out of the pick and roll. For a team renowned as a pick and roll team for so long, the Jazz have gone away from that under Corbin, due to Millsap and Jefferson’s offensive abilities. Derrick Favors in particular isn’t blessed with 1 on 1 offensive abilities, but with his size and athleticism could thrive in the pick and roll offense. Larkin would be insane using his speed in coming off such huge picks set from Favors, who will create so much room for Larkin’s shot and then offer a huge target when the defense takes it away. Larkin is probably going to be a back up point guard at the next level, but he’s going to be a very good one.

22. Brooklyn Nets – Tony Mitchell

Brooklyn could do with some size and athleticism across their frontcourt and Mitchell certainly offers both. Mitchell will compete on both ends of the floor and provide an alternative to Gerald Wallace and Reggie Evans who are both less than satisfying on the offensive end without losing the intensity and defence they offer. He is an outstanding shot blocker and individual defender. Mitchell is a very versatile scorer. With face up power forwards and take them off the dribble and will post up small forwards and bully them down low. Has also shown solid range on his jump shot but should look to continue to develop that. He should be in the rotation nearly immediately in Brooklyn.

23. Indiana Pacers – Allan Crabbe

Indiana has one of the worst benches when it comes to offensive out put. Crabbe can change that immediately. A deadly shooter who already has consistent NBA range. Can also score of the dribble and reads the game well enough to be able to score off cuts and screens and make the extra pass to create for a teammate. Very good size for a 2 guard. Is loaded with defensive potential which will help him slide into Indiana’s defensive focused system.

24. New York – Gorgui Dieng

Depth up front behind Tyson Chandler is pretty slim. Dieng offers the Knicks another shot blocker to fill the lane. Dieng also offers something Chandler doesn’t, offense outside the paint. Dieng showed his ability to be able to knock down the mid-range jump shot at a consistent clip during Louisville’s tournament run. The Knicks have picked wisely here as Dieng fills a serious need.

25. Los Angeles Clippers – Sergey Karasev

I see Karasev as a very poor man’s Manu Ginobili. Despite not possessing great athleticism he penetrates with that awkward European style and does so to create unorthodox scoring opportunities for himself and to create for his teammates. His athleticism, or lack of, makes him an average defender. Ginobili is better in nearly every category which is why he is an multiple time NBA champion and Karasev is a late first round pick. The one edge Karasev has over Ginobili is the fact that he is an elite shooter. He possesses the ability to contribute straight away as a spot up shooter. The Clips would love some help at the 2/3 and Karasev offers exactly that.

26. Minnesota Timberwolves – Jeff Withey

Minnesota add some help up front and fill another need. With the possibility of Nikola Pekovic heading out of Minny through free agency, Jeff Withey becomes hugely valuable to the T-Wolves. A good shot blocker and capable scorer in the post, Withey is a mature selection and a solid pick at 26.

27. Denver Nuggets – Giannis Adetokoubo

The relatively unknown Greek sounds like he has so much upside with so much size, athleticism and skill but the unknown is his curse. What we do know is that he is a 6’9 small forward/point guard. With Gallinari injured long term and Iguadala having the ability to look elsewhere, some extra help on the wing and another guy who can help Lawson and Miller handle the ball will be a huge help for the Nuggets. The gamble is worth it at pick 27 and the Nuggets have always seemed willing to take on international players. I like this match.

28. San Antonio Spurs – Reggie Bullock

Reggie Bullock is another one of my favourite players in the draft and mark my words, is an absolute steal at 28. This draft is loaded with role players who think they are stars but Bullock is the ultimate role player. A great defender with perfect length for the 2/3 at 6’7. He’s got a great 3 point shot and has the perfect skill set for a San Antonio role player. He’s another Kawhi Leonard/Danny Green type player and Pop and Co absolutely love these guys. The Spurs seem to have a knack for getting great complimentary guys despite not ever having early draft picks and they’ll do it here again. There will always be a place for this guy in the league and San Antonio is a great place for him to get started.

29. Oklahoma City Thunder – Jamaal Franklin

A lengthy 2/3 who just find ways to score, particularly in 1 on 1 situations. Is a capable defender without being too brilliant. He’s reasonably good at everything without being fantastic at anything or terrible at something else. I expect him to be a guy who bounces around the league a bit, I project a journey man.

30. Phoenix Suns – Glen Rice Jr

A guy who can just score the ball from the wing position is going to be valuable for Phoenix.Glen Rice Jr comes with his off-court baggage but after winning a championship in the D-League hopefully things have turned around. Will be an effective scorer off the bench. He shoots the ball from the 3 and is reasonably gifted in getting his own shot off in ISO situations. Probably more inclined to take jump shots rather than attack the rim which makes him easier to guard and is probably the reason he won’t ever be a starter. A good pick and a good fit for Phoenix at 30.

31. Cleveland Cavaliers – Erick Green

The Cavs just continue to fill their roster with young talent. Erick Green is a capable scorer and ball handler. The fact that he can score so well off the ball makes him even more valuable and Irving and Waiters are likely to be very ball dominant. Expect Green to find some minutes in his rookie year and take the steps to develop into the role that Daniel Gibson has played in recent years for Cleveland.

32. Oklahoma City – Lorenzo Brown

James Harden’s size when handling the ball made him so effective for OKC as he allowed Durant and Westbrook to play off the ball for periods of time. Brown is nowhere near Harden’s level but he does offer similar qualities. He has great size for a point guard at 6’5, will command bigger defenders and can handle the ball allowing Durant and Westbrook to play on the wings. He has enough upside to make the final roster and enough to offer to at least be training bait.

33. Cleveland Cavaliers – DeShaun Thomas

DeShaun Thomas is an interesting player. He has unique set of offensive skills that allow him to score in so many ways. He’s great working inside but can also step out and shoot the 3 ball. He is a competent catch and shoot option in any offense. Defensively he is below average and his tweener type size makes it even harder for him at the next level. Don’t be surprised to see Thomas out of the NBA in a few years, however, don’t be surprised if he turns out to be a consistent performer for the Cavs for years to come. A worthy risk that could pay off dramatically. You’ll always get consistency from Thomas, which is a valuable skill to have.

34. Houston Rockets – Isaiah Canaan

The Rockets have Lin and an option on Beverely as point guards for next year. There are a few different ways they could go here but Canaan could be one of the better point guards to come out of this draft. He’s a good scorer and elite shooter, especially out of the pick and roll and is a willing passer. He’ll likely only ever be a back up point guard but he’ll put plenty of pressure on Lin and Beverely to keep him out of the rotation.

35. Philadelphia 76ers – Archie Goodwin

I remember looking at this years mock at the start of the year and Goodwin was a lottery pick. Now he falls to the second round and the comparisons to Russell Westbrook seem absolutely ridiculous. However, does an erratic shooting guard, with size more suited to the point guard, athleticism to burn, a poor jump shot and average passer remind you of any other recent guards coming out of college? Maybe the long term comparisons aren’t so silly. Make no mistake, Goodwin is light years away from Westbrook’s level, but his potential is obvious and with room in the back court at Philly, maybe Goodwin can turn things around.

36. Sacramento Kings – CJ Leslie

There aren’t many things that Sacramento actually really need, none that they can address through the draft at least. Leslie is a lengthy athlete who has the potential to be a handy role player at the next level. His attitude is pretty average and for a guy not known for his hard work, the NBA may not be his stage but the physical attributes are there, Leslie just has to put it all together.

37. Washington Wizards – Nate Wolters

Washington fill a need here with a handy player in Wolters. He’s got great size at 6’5 for a point guard which will make Washington a nightmare to guard at the 1 considering John Wall is a good 6’4 himself. Wolters can flat out score. He’s crafty around the paint scoring with floaters, jump shots and finger rolls but also uses his size to see the floor and make flashy passes to teammates. Wolters is actually very similar to Wall in a lot of ways. He’s clearly not as athletic as Wall but his jump shot, while not fantastic, is better than Wall’s. A much better back up option than AJ Price, Wolters will have found a good home in DC.

38. Detroit Pistons – Livio Jean-Charles

Jean-Charles dominated the Nike Hoop Summit World Select v Team USA match finishing with 27 points and 13 rebounds. At 6’9 and with a 7’2 reach, Jean-Charles is a lengthy wing that will probably play the 3 in the NBA. The Pistons aren’t very deep at the 3 so LJC will provide some depth there. He’s got great touch around the rim and is very efficient inside. For a second round prospect, this is a very good pick for Detroit.

39. Portland TrailBlazers – Lucas Noguiera

Lucas Nogueira is just a huge presence. Unfortunately, he’s not yet that huge presence on the floor that he should be. Has athleticism not found in 7 footers and this is what makes his upside so intriguing. He moves his feet better than any 7 footer in the league today. He’d probably be better off defending perimeter 4’s like Ryan Anderson, Dirk Nowitzki, Andrea Bargnani and Spencer Hawes rather than 5’s as he gets overpowered in the post. Is not the shot blocker he should be but certainly can develop. A good pick for Portland to stash away for a bit.

40. Portland TrailBlazers – James Ennis

James Ennis provides depth for Portland who are in some serious need of support for starters Nicolas Batum and Wes Matthews. Ennis is an explosive athlete with great range on his shot and is a good defender on the perimeter. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ennis crack the rotation as a rookie. He can spread the floor for Lillard and Aldridge and lock down his opponent down the other end. A steal at 40 for Portland.

41. Memphis Grizzlies – Michael Snaer

Snaer is a perfect fit for the Memphis Grizzlies. He’s a great perimeter defender who can individually lock down his opponent. He is also a team defender and leader on that end of the floor, willing to do whatever it takes to get stops. Snaer could be drafted for his defence alone. His offensive game makes him even more valuable. A consistent 3 point shooter increases his value. Unlike most guys who are known specifically for their defence, Snaer possesses the ability to be a ball handler in the pick and roll and has shown the unique ability to be able to knock down clutch shots and game winners, highlighted by his 6 buzzer beater game winners over his Junior and Senior seasons. Another under the radar prospect and a great pick for Memphis.

42. Philadephia 76ers – Ray McCallum
This is shaping up to be a very good draft for Philly. First they take Len as insurance for Bynum, a guy who might start right away. They get Goodwin with their second pick, a potential loaded prospect with athleticism to burn and now Ray McCallum, who provides just about everything they lost when Lou Williams left to Atlanta. He’s a scorer with variety, a guy who can shoot from anywhere but will make you pay if you over close out by shooter the floater or finding teammates. He’ll be a valuable contributor in his rookie season as a back up for Jrue Holiday. Great draft for Philly, they’ll walk away pretty happy.

43. Milwaukee Bucks – Brandon Paul

Milwaukee continue to strengthen their back court by selecting Paul. With the future of Jennings and Ellis unknown and Dunleavy and Redick likely to bolt in free agency, Schroeder with pick 15 and Paul with 43 may see action sooner rather than later. Paul is another good scorer. He doesn’t have ideal size for the 2 but makes up for it with a lengthy wingspan. A really consistent shot from deep but is really good when he puts the ball on the floor and uses his athleticism to finish around the rim. Can handle the ball in patches and is a willing passer. Decent in pick and roll situations. A good defender who really works hard, something Milwaukee will love, especially because it’s something they’re not used to having.

44. Dallas Mavericks – Pierre Jackson

Pierre Jackson is a winner. Undersized point guard who is an elite scorer at college. He’ll be an undersized gunner off the bench at the next level but that’s something the Mavs would welcome at this stage. With Collison likely to take up the starting point role, Jackson would slip in nicely as the back up. His shot will translate over nicely as will his handles and passing ability. Defensively is where he’ll struggle, but he’s a hard worker and can no doubt be competent at that end of the floor. Nice pick up for Dallas in the middle of the second round.

45. Portland TrailBlazers – Robert Covington
Portland probably won’t sign this pick but he’ll be good training bait at camp. Covington is just an athlete who succeeds through effort and intensity. He’s an undersized PF both in size and weight but competes hard none the less. Has shown some consistent range from the 3 point line which adds another dimension to his game. Really needs to develop into a 3 to make it at the next level but his game resembles too much of a stretch 4. A worthwhile pick here for camp, but don’t be surprised if Covington doesn’t make the final roster.

46. Utah Jazz – Ryan Kelly

The chances of this pick actually working out are probably pretty slim but as a Jazz fan it just makes so much sense to me. Kelly is a really smart individual. He’s slim, not blessed with abundant athleticism but nonetheless is a capable one. The thing that excites me is his ability to shoot in any situation. Catch and shoot, catch and one dribble pull ups, midrange, 3 point line, short corner, Kelly can do it all and with guys like Favors and Kanter restricted to scoring in the post, Kelly could be a Ryan Anderson type player in the rotation. I wouldn’t mind Siva or Curry, but I like Kelly.

47. Atlanta Hawks – Jordan Aboudou

Aboudou is good athlete who is better known for his defence than his offence. He can score off cuts and lobs but that is about the extent of his offensive capabilities. He is a pretty good defender though and could find his way onto a roster for that skill alone. He’ll probably get stashed away in the D-League or Europe but a lot of GM’s like lock down perimeter defenders, regardless of their offensive deficiencies so Aboudou making a roster wouldn’t be a complete surprise.

48. Los Angeles Lakers – Seth Curry

I absolutely love Seth Curry. I love his name, I love his game and I hate that I have him going to the Lakers. I’ve followed Seth his whole college career and love what he does. He’s got a place in this league because of his unique ability to shoot and score the ball. He’s by no means blessed athletically but that doesn’t stop him from keeping the scoreboard ticking over. The Lakers are in the market for some bench scoring and depth and unfortunately, Seth Curry offers exactly what they need.

49. Chicago Bulls – Brandon Davies

I’ve actually seen Brandon Davies play live and he’s even more agile and athletic in person. Davies is a bit raw in regards to scoring with his back to the basket. He relies more on his athleticism to finish plays rather than a soft touch. He really is an athlete though and he gets up and down the floor so quickly for a guy his size. Always a factor in transition going both ways and is a good weakside defender who will blocks shots and protect the rim. A good asset for Chicago to have on the end of their roster. A hard worker who will learn from the likes of Noah, Boozer and Gibson.

50. Atlanta Hawks – Trevor Mbakwe

This guy has Reggie Evans potential. He’s far more athletic than Reggie and has insane length but his role at the next level will be basically identical. He’s rebounding machine who doesn’t offer a whole lot more, Mbakwe will likely find himself on an NBA roster because of that quality alone. Expect a journeyman like career from this guy, especially if he can keep his off court record clean as a pro.

51. Orlando Magic – Kenny Kadji

A face up big with decent range on his jump shot, Kadji has a lot of work to do to make a final roster. Lucky for him, Orlando is one place that offers a decent chance. He must improve his athleticism and ability to block shots and rebound. If he can continue to develop consistency in his jump shot and at least offer something on the boards and defensively, Kenny may sneak onto this 15 man roster and spend some time in the D-League.

52. Minnesota Timberwolves – Peyton Siva
Peyton Siva is this drafts Kendall Marshall. Great passer, great vision, great floor general, terrible shooter. Unfortunately, Marshall’s lack of success at the next level probably hurts Siva even more. Having said that, there is no reason why Siva can’t be a solid contributor at the next level. A guy who can get your team through your offence and really push the ball in transition. I feel Peyton’s career will be summed up by this predicted stat line, 5 assists per game, 1 steal per game, 2 rebounds per game and 2 shot attempts per game in 10-18 minutes. It seems pretty precise, and it is, but that’s just my vision for Peyton Siva. Minny is a good place for him. He can learn from Ricky Rubio, a very similar styled player, on a team who is starting to put pieces together. Good value pick for Minny.

53. Indiana Pacers – Solomon Hill

Solomon Hill is a dependable, hard working wing who will finds ways to influence the game. He lacks elite athleticism but finds ways to get to the basket and finish around the rim. He has a much improved jump shot that stretches right to the three point line but is more of a threat in catch and shoot opportunities. I don’t know if Hill makes the final roster, but he definitely makes it to camp and has the potential to lock down a permanent bench spot in the NBA.

54. Washington Wizards – Myck Kabongo

I know the Wizards already have Wall and have drafted Wolters but Kabongo could be an interesting one. He’ll spend a lot of time in the D-League this year but I think their might be a spot on an NBA roster for him. Washington take him because he’s the best player left and he’ll push Wolters and Wall at camp.

55. Memphis Grizzlies – Alex Abrines

Memphis add another Spanish kid to the side. He has pretty good length and good enough size to be an NBA 2 guard. Marc Gasol will help support him through a training camp but expect him to head back to Europe for a few years to mature and continue to develop his game. A long term prospect for Memphis, playing with Marc will always be the attraction.

56. Detroit Pistons – Patric Young

Essentially, Patric Young offers what Jason Maxiell left behind in free agency. I wouldn’t expect the Pistons to resign Maxiell and Young will add that same undersized toughness and rebounding. If Young makes the final roster, he’ll likely line up in the D-League for the better part of the year. Doesn’t offer too much but is a worthwhile pick for Detroit.

57. Phoenix Suns – Adonis Thomas

Thomas has a game built on strength and overpowering defenders. That’s probably not going to work too well for him at the next level. The Suns, I expect, will stash him in the D-League to see how he fairs against other guys similarly talented. Won’t hit an NBA roster next season.

58. San Antonio Spurs – Matthew Dellavedova

Dellavedova is a point guard and the Spurs have a plethora of points including Ausralian teammate Patty Mills, Nando De Colo, Cory Joseph and star Tony Parker. Having said that Delly fits the system better than third and fourth string Mills and De Colo and assistant coach Brett Brown knows exactly what he’s getting with him so expect him to edge find a place somewhere on the Spurs roster. Delly is safe with the ball in his hands, is a good spot up 3 point shot and plays tremendous lock down defense using his size to great advantage. A steal at 58, the Spurs do it again in the draft.

59. Minnesota Timberwolves – Colton Iverson

The T-Wolves add another 7 footer for depth in the wake of the potential departure of Nikola Pekovic in free agency. Iverson is a project big but has more potential and upside than a pick 59 would suggest. A year or two in the D-league will do him some good. A good pick to stash away for a bit for the Wolves.

60. Memphis Grizzlies – DeWayne Dedmon

Memphis make this pick purely for the draft rights. He’s not making the final roster and Dedmon will either find himself in the D-League or somewhere overseas. Memphis will keep an eye on him and his development but we may not hear or see Dedmon for a while.

Topic #31829 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

Nice work but tl;dr after the 15th or so pick. Just skimmed the names of the last picks.

IMO that trade you proposed is horrible for Phoenix. There is no way I'm trading Oladipo (could be great), gortat (good solid centre) and Dudley (solid role player, probably would be more useful on a playoff team) for an oft injured Eric Gordon who has never even sniffed the playoffs.

Reply #421340 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Giannis Adetokoubo will be the steal of the draft.

Reply #421343 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Don't see Knicks taking a big, or Delly dropping that low (or the Spurs even taking another PG). Knicks can get size if they need it, and wouldn't surprise me if they keep Kmart and Stoudamire and look for an unsigned big (especially a proven player at NBA level). They will most likely use the draft to get a PG or versatile PF who can step out and play SF if needed.

Reply #421351 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Nice read!
No room for Ricky Ledo and Mike Muscals?

Reply #421362 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Muscala sorry

Reply #421363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly is a beast. Should be higher!

Reply #421364 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Ingles,

Think back to last off-season when Gordon was a restricted FA. Phoenix threw the book at him and begged New Orleans to let him walk. The Hornets obviously matched the offer. What we know is that Phoenix are very high on him. This also depends on how much you read into Gordon's injuries and whether you believe the "I'm ticked at you for bring me back, I don't want to be here and I'm going to make it impossible for you to keep me" talk.

I break down the trade as such:

Gortat is an expiring contract who has been on the market for a while. Has made it pretty clear he won't be back if he hits the market next year. I'm sure Phoenix would rather move him in this deal than let him walk for nothing.

Dudley is a great role player but is he going to change the fortune of the franchise? No. Is Gordon? There's certainly a big chance he will.

I'm not sold on all the hype going into the draft about Oladipo. He's a very one-dimensional offensive player, who's only weapon is his three point shot which he can't create for himself. Yes he is a great defender, but the Suns need a franchise player, someone who can turn things around, I don't think Oladipo can do that but I think Gordon can.

Remember Pre Chris Paul trade when Gordon was at the Clippers. The Clips were very hesitant to ship him for Paul initially, trying every trade under the sun to keep him. Gordon was touted as a franchise player and was doing great things for the Clips.

Ricey,

I see your point in regards to the Knicks, my question is can they get that stretch 4 who can spend some time at the 3 in the draft? I don't think so.. Plus I think it'll be Melo who plays that role. Also, I don't know if they'll be able to keep Martin. I imagine any remaining cap room will be thrown at JR Smith. With Wallace likely done, as too Kurt Thomas, and Camby unable to hit the court this year, behind Chandler and Stat there aren't a lot of bigs left.

In regards to the Delly situation, admittedly I wrote this before he killed it in his last two workouts. Minny seem high on him but do they need him behind Rubio, Ridnour and Barea? At the Spurs, Brett Brown knows what he's getting, he seems to fit into their system (a great lock down defender who can shoot the 3, looks after the ball and makes good decisions) and IMO should be battling Joseph for the back up point guard role. Gary Neal is a FA and will likely get more money elsewhere, which leaves Mills to be the undersized gunner off the bench. De Colo has 1 year left on his contract and could head back to Europe for better dollars. I think Delly to the Spurs looks a little better when you look a bit deeper. Still hard to argue with you though!

Reply #421365 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Rohant16,

Ricky Ledo should absolutely be in there. Unfortunately, I've only just come across him and hadn't done enough research into him to include him. He will be drafted though!

Reply #421366 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I can see Gordon helping the suns win a few more games next season, but I'd rather get some young talent in Oladipo, tank for a year, and hopefully get Wiggins or Parker as a consolation next draft

Reply #421367 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

That's why I don't think they will use their draft pick on any 4 or 5 man. They need a big who can play 20 minutes and not be a liability. Kmart will stick around, he needs the coin. JR is happy with the Knicks and I don't expect him to go after bigger dollars elsewhere, or that the Knicks will throw everything at him (they should have leant that lesson by now).

Delly to the Spurs is a waste for them, they would probably want a young euro player who can get solid minutes over there for a couple years instead of just stacking up at the one position. I honestly think Delly fits best at the Knicks. Gets backup minutes to Kidd who will teach him more than anyone else can for his style of game, and I a year (or less depending on Kidd retiring) he would be backup to Felton. The Knicks need a floor general like him to replace Kidd, and nobody else in the draft can do what he can.

Reply #421370 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

If K-Mart needs the coin, wouldn't he likely go elsewhere where he'll get paid more? Smith's option for next year is worth 2.9 million. Another club with loads of cap room could comfortably offer 7-8. You'd expect him to go if that was the case.

If you think the Spurs need a young Euro player who can play in Europe for a few years for development, why can't Delly be that guy? Yes he's not European but I don't think that was your point. As I said before, Cory Joseph is the only point guard on the Spurs roster not named Tony Parker, who is contracted past new year and thats only a team option.

I agree the Knicks would be a good landing spot, but I just don't think other NBA teams are as high on him as we are.

Reply #421374 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What Ingles said.

Absolutely horrible trade for the Suns.

But then again, it's probably good for the Suns because they like filling their rosters with overrated players who can't play defense.

I'm on the fence.

Reply #421380 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Job security, like Birdman he's done well with his second chance and wi want a multi year deal, and he won't want to head back to Europe or Asia. Knicks is his best option.

Not having a euro passport makes it a little harder for Delly in Europe. And spurs will still have de colo won't they?

Delly has been the sole standout at all the trials he's had so far. Think people are underestimiating the impression he is leaving. Really going to be surprised if he drops to the second half of second round, and really should be going in first round

Reply #421381 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Good call on Reggie Bullock in the 1st round. Not many mocks have him going that high, but I can't understand why. He has good size for either the 2 or 3, is a very good 3 point shooter and can defend to a high standard. He won't ever be a "star", but I wouldn't mind seeing him end up on my team.

Also, I think whoever picks up Brandon Paul will be getting a steal as well. Possibly also Snaer and Glen Rice III.

Reply #421391 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Agreed Ricey Re: Delly

Reply #421392 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Dellavedova joins 11 others at Denver Nuggets predraft workouts.
http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/denver-nuggets-begin-predraft-workouts-12-prospects

Reply #421393 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Who is Delly often compared to as in current players? I haven't seen too much but I'd say similar to hinrich or calderon?

Reply #421397 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree Ingles, never thought about it but Hinrich is probably a pretty good comparison. Right on the money.

Not athletic but makes up for it with grit and the fact that he has decent size for the position. I think the two keys for Delly will be proving that he can be a knock down shooter and that he can keep up defensively at the NBA level. No one is doubting his PG skills.

Reply #421461 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

This will be a good session for Delly, going head-to-head with Nate Wolters, the player Delly is most like in this draft, but whom most have as a late first/early second round pick.

Reply #421491 | Report this post

daneo`  
Years ago

Delly will need to step it up again another gear at this camp if he wants to be drafted.

Realistically, he is still sitting outside the top 80 players on the draft board. Thinking he will go late first round or early second round is a bit far fetched atm.
Lets not forget he wasen't invited to the draft combine, his physicals especcially around speed and body specs didnt come out too well. His only scrimages have been against other players on the fringe or outside the first 2 rounds.

If he was to be drafted I think it would be really late for a team to fit a particular offensive system only. Unfortuantely too many teams in NBA run isolations and have offensive sets to exploit weeknesses in teams such as slow defending point guards.

Reply #421500 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Delly @ Nuggets pre draft workouts

http://web.stagram.com/p/470276022425357972_15640770

Reply #421802 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754