Anonymous
Years ago

Boti asks Ervin or deeleon

Boti on twitter asked the question who would 6ers fans like to run the point next year Deleon or Ervin. Assuming he thinks it out of these 2

Topic #31831 | Report this topic

YouknowME  
Years ago

Probably Deleon

Reply #421353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Ervin but would be happy with either.

These are the exact two imports the 36ers should be targeting based on need.

Reply #421354 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Probably Deleon. He offers an outside shot which will help the big fellas and the slashers like Creek, can get in the paint pretty much when he wants with his dribbling ability and would come a lot cheaper than Ervin which will be handy for the Sixers given they need an import at SF with the departure of Weigh.

Deleon provided he can play in a controlled manner is just a better fit for a number of reasons I think.

Reply #421355 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Either would be good IMO but if we get Ervin, then we are looking more more and more like the 2011-2012 blaze. Deleon, Petrie, Gibson, Cadee, Joey Wright.

Reply #421356 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Spoke to Adris today, he said he hasn't been contacted by anyone from the 36ers. Spoken to Joey Wright but said it wasn't about coming to Adelaide.

Reply #421358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be happy with either, I'd probably go for the cheaper of the 2, which is likely to be Deleon, so we can spend more on the other import, as both put up pretty similar numbers, Ervin is probably the overall better player and little more 'in-control', but Deleon does have the better 3pt shot and is almost as good as Ervin at most other things.

The other advantage is Deleon has played for Wright and with Gibson, etc before, so should help with the team chemistry straight away.

I dont mind if we end up similar to 2011-12 Blaze, they made the playoffs, which is exactly what we need!

But hey if we have the choice between Deleon and Ervin we cant lose, either way, either would be great and our best import in a while.

Reply #421359 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

find it funny how quickly people forget Diamon Simpson, especially when they say "best import for a while" simpson was THE best import we have had since Hodge mark 1... and Farley before him and then Mee and Brooks...

I would be happy with either.

Reply #421369 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Ervin actually wasn't a bad shooter from range last year. He's one of the best free throw shooters in the league, and was one of the Crocs' best three point shooters at 33%. For the NBL that's pretty good. On top of that he is near automatic from mid range.

Him not being able to shoot is just a myth perpetuated from his days with the Hawks. He's obviously worked on it to the point where it's no longer a weakness.

Reply #421373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And he's a much better finisher than Deleon too.

Reply #421378 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Ervin's asking price is probably 1.5x that of Deleon's though, so it's a big call to make.

Reply #421379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither TBH. Ervin was very good a couple of years ago but looked a shadow of that player the few times I saw him last year. Deleon I think is one of the most overrated players in the league. Will win a game every now and then but loses them more often than not with terrible shot selection and over-dribbling. I just don't understand why Gibson can't run the point? I think he is better at that position than these two score first guards.

That being said, if I had to choose I would take Ervin.

Reply #421384 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Just FYI, Ervin shot at 30.4% with the Crocs, for 4th best on the team, and 40th in the league.

Deleon shot 32.9% for 33rd in the league, and 8th on the Hawks (wow).

Reply #421385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because it's too hard to find great shooters with NBL money these days. That's why we'll make do with Gibson at SG as there are plenty of undersized and relatively cheap PG's floating around.

btw Ervin was 3rd in league MVP voting last season behind only Jackson & Madgen and rightly so, he's a star.

Reply #421386 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Neither.

Reply #421387 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Ervin by a whisker,both are good players ,Ervin has won MVP and Deleon is a bit cocky at times.get Ervin and a cheap import of Edwards or Hudson to come off the bench to provide that inside spark ,Both players played well against Adelaide last year,but I like to see a fresh face to bring back the crowd,a 3 man who can run and stun .

Reply #421389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just throwing it out there, but say if we could sign say Corin Henry for around 60k, was rumoured to be on less at the kings, and then that leaves us 150k to spend on a star sf, would that be better than spending say 150k on Ervin or Deleon and only having 60k to find a sf?

What do people think is the more important import pg or sf?

given we have Gibson and Cadee id say sf, and would probably spend more money on the sf, Ervin and Deleon are obviously better than say Henry or even Hurdle, but would also cost 3 times as much and limit our sf options, so i wouldnt mind this kind of approach aslong as they land a star sf.

Reply #421394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess what would people rather as a import combo

Ervin and Ron Dorsey

or

C.Henry and Ere

not saying any of those guys are in the picture, i wouldnt have a clue, just say that level/type of player if not the actual player, obviously Ervin and Ere are the expensive ones.

Reply #421395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think we'll be able to attract a superstar SF as they're likely to get more money elsewhere so would prefer a gun PG like Ervin and settle for a Dorsey/Edwards type at SF.

Reply #421396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin and not by a whisker. Could see McLeod's frustration with Deleon and they won't have him back.

Reply #421402 | Report this post

Mark Eaton  
Years ago

I called it months ago, it's Ervin. He told me he's tried to get to Adelaide the past 2 seasons, besides I think either will do. All the 6ers need apart from defence is a penetrator that can make opposing defences collapse leaving wide open 10 foot shots to 3's or drive and dish to Dj, Stench, Petrie for the jam. We may not win the title because of defence but let's face it 10 years of deplorable home games I'm hanging for some high octane offence to get the dome rocking again.

Reply #421405 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Do we need another small point guard. I guess Deeleon could play the 2. Just with Gibbo and Cadee don't think we need it. Is there any just pure 2 shooters out there that we don't know. Euro or just out of college?

Personal I'd prefer to spend the import spot on a 2 who can make open shots and create their own.

But to answer the question id take Deeleon at this stage if we had to choose

Reply #421406 | Report this post

Budgie  
Years ago

Either would be good but the guys around them need to understand that they need to keep the lanes clear. When John Gilchrist ran the show big Luke hardly ever blocked his man out of the lane. Luke also didn't understand that John was also looking for the easy hand off. I sat on the base line and it would give me the shits every time

Reply #421409 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Right except Gilchrist and Schensch were not on the same team

Reply #421412 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Schensher was with Perth that year!

Very amusing...

Reply #421415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

deleon wont be playing for adelaide thats why he hasnt been re-signed with Gong ,simply gordy got frustrated with him and benched him alot(if you noticed in latter half of season)

Reply #421427 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

Gilchrist was a good player but become his own and at times found open man and utilise his scoring .Agree with annoymous about deleon.Ervin is what we need and a cheap 3 man

Reply #421428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, 33% pretty good for the NBL, it is slightly below average for all players since they extended the 3 point line. It is only passable for a PG, and the 30% Ervin actually shot puts him equal with Flynn. With shooters around that's no problem but Adelaide don't have great shooters.

Reply #421430 | Report this post

shitiveni 13  
Years ago

Take Ervin and cheap 3 man

Reply #421433 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Deleon was benched later in the season because he was running on fumes not because Gordie was frustrated with him. Adris carried a calf, hand and abdominal injury most of the season. He refused to take any games off which is why after the great start he slumped after the loss in Cairns. That was the game when he injured his hand & leg.

And if you're getting Ervin, you won't have enough cash left over for another import. So it will either be just Ervin, or Deleon/Henry/Cheap PG + SF.

Reply #421448 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I grabbed the stats straight from the Crocs NBL website so if they're wrong don't blame me, blame the shitty NBL website and the fact that the stats are apparently entered in separately in all sections of the site rather than all updated from a central source.

33 makes from 100 attempts for 33%. In the league wide stats section though it seems he's at 38 from 125 for 30.4%. So you're right there.

Considering the fifth best shooter in the league (Stephen Weigh) was averaging a very mediocre 38% last seasons, 30% isn't that bad.

The average 3p% last season was a dreaful 25.8% in the NBL. Absolutely terrible. Even at 30% Ervin is ahead of the mark, especially when it's his last resort on offense.

The NBL as a wole was shooting the ball from the field, deep, and free throw line at a terrible rate last season.

Average FG% = 39.8

Average 3P% = 25.8

And most worrying, because the NBL refereeing style of giving defenders more leeway has nothing to do with it:

FT% = 68%

Absolutely woeful numbers across the board and it probably warrants separate discussion in its own thread.

Reply #421459 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

For the record, no single NBA team shoots that badly from the free throw line. Not even the worst free throw shooting team in the NBA (the lakers who shot 69.2%) shoot as badly as the NBL league wide average. Astounding.

It's an epidemic.

Remember when the NBL was filled with automatic shooters? What happened?

Reply #421460 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Deleon has had some great games at the arena the past two years but I'm sure it has a lot more to do with the shitty defense here rather than the stadium.

If the difference in price is really that big, then I'd definitely take Deleon + average SF import over Ervin. Either way, I'd much rather an import who already has experience this league rather than bringing in a new import as the experienced import will already have some knowledge of the opponents and chemistry would be a lot better at the beginning.

Also, has Worthington signed anywhere yet? Or is he close to signing? I would've thought he would have been snapped up quickly in free agency but is he planning another year overseas?

Reply #421474 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mick, the average in the NBL last season was 33% (although, over 34% at venues other than Perth Arena which is what the league ave was the two years before that).

Weigh wasnt 5th at 38%, that list is for players who took more than 100 attempts and there were only 18 of those. Ervin actually ranked 40th in the league.

The real top 10, if you use a more realistic two 3pfga per game as qualification is:

Grabau 53
Coenraad 52
Forman 48
Martin 44
Saville 43
Corletto 41
Loughton 41
Crawford 40
Scott 40
Steindl 39

Reply #421475 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mick, again, your numbers are wrong, not sure where youre getting them from. The average FT% was 72. Here's a link to a spreadsheet for you with end of season team stats:

http://www.basketball.net.au/fileadmin/user_upload/NBL_Stats/fiba_team_stats_ptrt_o.pdf

Reply #421477 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Getting them straight from the NBL stats section on the official website which links to:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?client=0-189-0-232872-0&a=STATS&sgroup=scoring&sgstat=3P%

Reply #421484 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Getting them straight from the NBL stats section on the official website which links to:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?client=0-189-0-232872-0&a=STATS&sgroup=scoring&sgstat=3P%

Reply #421485 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im talking about the team stats, use the link I posted above it has all the major stats on one spreadsheet. It was put out each week (most weeks?) last season by the NBL in their Fast Facts article.

Reply #421487 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but an average taken from the stats of each individual player or from each team as a whole should be the same. The maths is no different.

Why would the stats be so different from two sources?

The way the NBL collates stats is f'd.

Reply #421493 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Oooh so you're saying you are using the average team 3P% not using the league wide team % to figure out an NBL player average?

Reply #421495 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, those figures are the total number of shots taken in the season by all players. Have a look at the spreadsheet.

Reply #421501 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but how is it any different? The numbers should be the same.

Reply #421502 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Ervin tweets the weirdest shit. Half of it doesn't even make sense. I don't want to call him dumb but why does he put "BK's own" after most tweets?

Reply #421527 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He isn't the sharpest pencil in the drawer, Ingles...

Reply #421530 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mick, you must have hit some wrong buttons on your calculator!

Reply #421535 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Just copied the offensive data for every player straight into excel, filtered out the players without an attempt and then spat the averages out from there.

Either the numbers are wrong with your data from basketball.net.au or the data I used from the NBL stats section is wrong (ie. sportingpulse).

The calcs are spot on.

Reply #421543 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well I have the spreadsheet from every week and there are no inconsistencies, and early in the season I was checking to make sure theyre ok.

Reply #421550 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

We need a big guard, not an undersized guy. Like either of these guys otherwise.

Reply #421631 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Deleon is a ball magnet but on plays when the TV is on, he also hogs a lot of it when others are truly open for shots.

Reply #421713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754