J. Sutho
Years ago

Best 'undesized' import to ever play in the NBL?

Tying in with the current 'who's better Ervin or De Leon' debate in Adelaide; some good 'undersized' (sub 6 foot) (give or take an inch) point guards have played in the NBL in recent times.

Names that spring to mind include:

Jonny Flynn

Gary Ervin

Adris De Leon

Corin Henry

Jamarr Wilson

Eddie Gill

Eddie Shannon

Dontaye Draper

Darnell Hinson

Ed Scott

David Bailey

I have probably missed a few names here and there who are deserving of a mention...

In my opinion, Gary Ervin is the best 'undersized' point guard recent memory. Not quite as dominant as he was for the Hawks a few years ago but he was still one of the leagues top scorers.

Jonny Flynn had his moments but I expected him to dominate the NBL with his impressive NBA credentials.

Dontaye Draper was very fun to watch. He has gone on to have a lot of success in Europe, here's hoping he plays in the NBL again sometime soon!

Topic #31835 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

Mark Davis?

Reply #421420 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Cal Bruton

Reply #421422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bobby Locke was always fun to watch

Reply #421425 | Report this post

shitiveni 13  
Years ago

Modern era its Ervin but Bobby Locke was great in his time

Reply #421436 | Report this post

BLocke  
Years ago

Bobby Locke 50pts on debut.

Reply #421440 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Fresh off the plane too

Reply #421441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bobby Locke
Al Green
Mke Helms
Rozelle Ellis

Reply #421442 | Report this post

J. Sutho  
Years ago

Tried to youtube Bobby Locke...didn't have any footage. I don't know a whole lot about him unfortunately.

Reply #421443 | Report this post

BLocke  
Years ago

Locke was amazing.
5'9" at best. Strong build, really quick jump, able to attack off the dribble then stop and pop before defenders could react. Had a high release on shot as well. Saw him dunk in games off two feet.
Debut game 50pts v Illawarra. Think their post import had about 45 in the same game!
Locke and Shane Heal were a dynamic back court!

Reply #421445 | Report this post

BLocke  
Years ago

http://andthefoul.net/NBLwiki/index.php?Bobby%20Locke

Reply #421446 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Aren't all NBL imports undersized?

Reply #421447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kent Lockhart

Reply #421464 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Bobby Locke is one that stands out.Happy to pay the admission price to watch him play.Pocket dynamite!!

Reply #421465 | Report this post

Viper  
Years ago

Bobby Locke for sure as an undersized import.

Reply #421471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Emery Atkinson was 6ft 5 and playing centre for the Bullets in the 80's. That was when there were bigs in the league too. Helps he could jump out of the gym!! Mark Davis was the best undersized big ever here. Best rebounder to play in this league.

Reply #421472 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Dusty!

Reply #421480 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Aren't all NBL imports undersized?"

Depends what youre comparing it to. By world standards the NBL isnt a small competition, despite what some commentators repeat ad nauseum. Of course, if you compare it to the elites like the NBA and Euroleague it is.

Reply #421481 | Report this post

#45 hoops  
Years ago

corin henry and adris deleon, are awesome, are they staying in the nbl?

Reply #421482 | Report this post

BLocke  
Years ago

Lockhart and Atkinson don't fit the under 6ft category.

How big was Derek Rucker?

Are we forgetting Cal Bruton?

Reply #421486 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"Undersized" to describe PGs isn't really relevant.

Rob Brown who played PF for the Crocs a few years back despite only being around 6'3"/6'4" was really fun to watch.

Reply #421499 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Ty McKee

Reply #421507 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Rucker!

Reply #421509 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Rucker. The Pocket Rocket. Fits the bill.

Reply #421516 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

BLocke+1 - Cal Bruton was both good and had longevity.

Anon #421472 - I don't recall Emery Atkinson playing at centre for Brisbane. Brian Kerle specifically recruited him as a counter to Mark Davis at power forward, after Adelaide beat Brisbane in the 1986 GF series. He played 2 seasons with Brisbane before moving to Canberra for 3 seasons. John Dorge was Brisbane's starting centre at the time Atkinson was there, with Larry Sengstock usually sharing the role when Dorge was off the court.

Reply #421525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shout out for Chris Williams. Dominated the paint in his season here.

Reply #421537 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd got with Chris Williams too, but I think the OP is thinking of players under 6'0.

Reply #421538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter John, thanks for your comments. Emery was definitely playing at centre and power forward for the Bullets at that time in 87/88. The reason he was let go by the Bullets was because of lack of size. Kerle said it was one of the toughest decisions he had to make as a coach at the time. Dorge did not start all games back then. The year books even have Emery listed as a Forward/Centre. Emery was one on the first imports to really come off the bench during 87/88 until moving to Canberra. Great Leaper and one of the best dunkers to ever play in this league.

Reply #421556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This conversation should have ended at CAL BRUTON

Reply #421564 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

I agree cal Bruton with hm for bobby Locke and I remember rob brown from Townsville a great (6'4ish) power forward

Reply #421575 | Report this post

J. Sutho  
Years ago

Some fair points raised, I wasn't really referring to undersized American forwards or centre's...but yes, they count too. I just tend to focus more on the guards when I watch the game.

Cal Bruton seems to be the runaway favourite, my NBL knowledge doesnt extend back that far.

Cal and Gary it is :)

Reply #421669 | Report this post

J. Sutho  
Years ago

Best 'undersized' Aussie guard/player???

Obviosly Patty Mills a couple seasons ago. I thought Patty did better than Jonny Flynn in the NBL surprisingly.

Reply #421821 | Report this post

BLocke  
Years ago

Shane Heal
Phil Smyth

Daylight

Back to imports, how big was Ricky Grace?

Reply #421822 | Report this post

pyscho  
Years ago

Grace around 6'1. Darren Perry and Wayne larkins were handy shorter Aussie players in their time, heal the standout.

Reply #421830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew gaze by a street.

I know he was tall but played like a small and couldn't jump. So therefore should be considered? LOL

Reply #421855 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754