Anonymous
Years ago

Mills/Baynes in Spurs v Heat matchup

(Please excuse my one-eyed aussieness)

Given the Heat v Spurs matchup, do mills or baynes offer any particular opportunity for pop?

Could they create a niche problem for the Heat, or help solve a problem for the Spurs?

We would all recall that even a limited player like Longley was used for particular effect by Jackson on particular matchups.

Topic #31848 | Report this topic

The Situation  
Years ago

Phil didn't utilise Longley because he was Australian.

Reply #421701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol mills will warm the bench/ towel wave like in the last series
& baynes will not even suit up.

Great to have two players in the team in the NBA finals!

Reply #421703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see Baynes getting spot minutes. The Heat don't enjoy playing against big, physical 5's. They made Hibbert look like a superstar on offense.

Heat are running with
Bosh 6'11" 235
Birdman 6'10" 228
Anthony 6'9" 245
Haslem 6'8" 235

Spurs have:
Duncan 6'11" 255
Splitter 6'11" 240
Bonner 610" 235
Diaw 6'8" 235
Baynes 6'10" 260
Blair 6'7" 270

He'll get hooked in a hurry if he just runs over people (which is how the Heat will try and play him), but he should be able to establish deep post position fairly easily and if he can avoid fouling he should score pretty easily too.

Reply #421711 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Could definately see Baynes get minutes. Pop could really exploit Miami's lack of height and just wear them down.

Reply #421712 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Longley played all season as starting centre - he wasn't just put in 4 finals.

As far as comparisons go however Miami are using Birdman similar to Rodman at Chicago. Set screens, rebound & cheap points. He's been good for them - except the suspension. Similar colorful character with his 'look' as well. Diamonds in the rough perhaps?

Reply #421719 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I think TMac will be the difference, he is a winner.

;)

Reply #421724 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Can't see Mills getting off the bench....unless parker breaks a leg!...even then Parker in a wheel chair is a better defender than Patty.

Baynes might play spot mins to bang a little and be physical but even that might not happen depending on how the spurs want to play the heat.

Reply #421726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will combine for a total of 00.00 minutes.

Reply #421739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Pop wants to win surely he will put Patty on for that offensive spark. Patty would destroy chalmers.

Reply #421756 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

If Baynes chokes out Birdbrain i'm good with that

Reply #421761 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

No minutes will be given. Why is this even a thread

Reply #421765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if Baynes got double doubles given some time was given.

Reply #421766 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Saying Patty can't defend is a croc of shit! The guy is a great full court in your face defender, he'll struggle with bigger guards that's all!!

Reply #421767 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Oi Oi Oi

Reply #421769 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

DOnt expect anything and dont be dissapointed is what I think. Sure either could get minutes but will they? fairly unlikely

Reply #421773 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Lebron is the GOAT.

Mills' fans are goats.

Reply #421775 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

To answer the original question:

You can expect to see the Aussie duo employed in a similar fashion to the rest of the playoffs: that is, sparingly.

Reply #421782 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

more 'tap dap' hopefully

Reply #421784 | Report this post

pyscho  
Years ago

If they get any minutes look at it as a bonus, doubt Baynes will play

Reply #421785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

those who haven't seen Patty defend don't know what he is capable of. He is solid.

Reply #421786 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I've seen him defend. He has a tendency to overplay his man and then go for the flop when the guy gets him on his hip.

Not a great defender at all, but can be effective in short stretches as a pest.

Reply #421787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On Birdman twas at my mum's place last night for tea the news comes on and they show highlights of the Heat/Pacers game with Andersen waving his arms around.

Mum: "Look at that guy, what is wrong with him?"

Me: "I don't know where to begin"

Reply #421799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes will not be on the 13 man active roster for any of these final games. Baynes and De Colo will be inactive barring any injuries. Mills will get some spot minutes in at least 2 games.

Reply #421813 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Well said, Mick. Patty is not a solid defender at all. He's a gambler. He'll get some cheap steals as a result, but more often he'll get burned. And when he settles into honest one-on-one defence his lack of size is a definite liability.

Reply #421814 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If Mills and Baynes arent getting ANY court time, unless its due to a blow out win or loss. Neither are very good at this level... This is the NBA Finals people. Take off the Aussie pride rose glasses.

Reply #421815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills should get some time just for that offensive spark and I reckon Baynes will get the call up being one of the bigs and a good one at that.

Reply #421844 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Will Baynes even Suit up? I havent seen him in uniform since splitter has been back.

Reply #421849 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754