Anonymous
Years ago

China arrive with 10 Olympians!

Wow! Be interesting to see how the Boomers go.

www.basketball.net.au

Don't forget, these games will be telecast on FOX Sports !!

Topic #31849 | Report this topic

curtley  
Years ago

The Chinese season runs from Early May to late July, surely there can be some sort of arrangement to get some of the best Chinese players playing in the NBL. They'd become better players.

Reply #421708 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Are any of them even good enough to play in the NBL?

Reply #421709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't China finish 8th at the Olympics. I think we could be in trouble?

Reply #421710 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Just got back from China. Basketball courts everywhere & lots of players. With a population of 1.3 B they should have heaps of talent!!

Reply #421716 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think China finnished 9th, Lithuania was 8th and yes I think this team is in trouble!

Reply #421717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who China or Australia?

Reply #421718 | Report this post

pyscho  
Years ago

Just one Olympian in Gibson could be a sweep for China

Reply #421720 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Chinese Div 1 season runs from November to March.

New coaches arent as dour as Brown and Donewald, so looking forward to a little bit more open series than previous two years.

Aussie team has edge in talent but in terms of familiarity the Chinese will be streaks ahead. Hopefully that balance means a close series? We can only hope.

Reply #421722 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You would think so Orbit given their love of the game, government support and shear population but unfortunately they simply aren't very good at basketball.

Reply #421723 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Australia's attitude towards these games is a joke.
Give out Boomers singlets and Australian representation to players not deserving of it is very dissapointing. Also cheating the public/fans of seeing players who deserve to rep Australia. If they want to put development players in squad/team call it what it is. Australia A or Aus development team. If we get beaten by China it is a marketing disaster for Australian basketball. Then again what marketing have they done?

Reply #421725 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree Anon.

Also, I don't think enough fuss has been made about the fact that Brendan Teys is in the Boomers squad for this.

Reply #421730 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Lol. the fact that it wont be on FTA means any shame will be well hidden should we lose the series. and I think anyone with a brain would see that logically, we go into this series now as the underdog. Hey atleast it iwill be worth watching... if this Aus development team beats china it will prove we have true depth. if it doesnt, well... thats what you would expect of a team thats never played together. If anything I am glad they are bringing there best... It would be useless watching Chinas development squad!

Reply #421731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Marketing in Perth hasn't been too bad. Ads in West Australian newspaper, tv ads on ONE, Perth Wildcats members been sent an email.

FOX SPORTS for LIVE coverage of this series.

Reply #421732 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Mick. I am sure brandons only in the squad for the university games

Reply #421733 | Report this post

Seablfan  
Years ago

Is this australian squad really more focused on the Uni games?

Reply #421734 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BA have said this squad is for both players looking to make Oceania series and those preparing for Uni Games. Makes sense to combine the two given Lemanis is coaching both.

Reply #421735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus some competitions and promos on Basketball Australia Facebook page

Reply #421736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the University Games only for Aussies playing College basketball? Or can anyone make that squad?

Reply #421737 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't care if it's for the all-world part-time TAFE course games he's still in a Boomers squad.

Reply #421741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What time will it air on fox sports? And
When will the replay be?

Reply #421742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Full schedule for FOX Sports telecast can be found at:

www.basketball.net.au

Reply #421746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the games going to be on the fiba.tv website? Most Non-Olympic Boomers games seem to be.

Reply #421751 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Mick, I think thats a bit overzealous. It makes sense to combine the 2 camps. He would be geting the benefits of training with fringe Boomers... I dont really see the problem.

Reply #421768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty disappointed Yi Jianlian isn't playing, far and away their best player and would've dominated this Boomers team.

Reply #421788 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

China defeated what was essentially our 'C-team' by 20 points in the Stankovic cup final leading up to the 2012 Olympics:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2012-07/11/c_131707284.htm

Todd Blanchfield, Clint Steindl, Mitch Norton, Cody Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Cameron Bairstow, Jason Cadee etc reprented Australia, while China played what was pretty much their full team, including Yi Jian Lian and Sun Yue (I can't remember of Wang Zhi Zhi participated).

I would say this series will be closer than many anticipate. Keep in mind we swept China last year in the YouYi Games with our 'B-team' (for the most part).

Reply #421794 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

After just reading that Yi Jian Lian isn't playing, I'm calling a 3-1 record for Australia.

Reply #421795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without Yi I'd be surprised if China win a game to be honest.

Reply #421797 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers have every chance on winning this series even with our C team.

Makes sense to combine Uni games prospects with the Boomers squad for this series given the same coach - also a good opportunity for the younger ones to get exposure

Reply #421800 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

ANyone know why Blanchfield isnt in the squad?

Reply #421827 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754