Statsheet Stuffer
Years ago

Taipans already signed 2 players, another to come

We already have eight on the roster, to be nine this weekend. As usual, Fearne doesn't want to tell the media though, so we're going to have to wait. Import will be the last player added.

Topic #31851 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it Stevie Weigh?

Reply #421745 | Report this post

Yep. not sure why they waited so long to announce though?

Reply #421747 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Kings also set to announce 1st import signing

Reply #421748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When? Today?

Reply #421750 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So what are the Taipans looking like?

1. Jamar Wilson
2. Cam Gliddon
3. Stevie Weigh
4. Trigger
5. ???

6. ???
7. Alex Loughton
8. Clint Steindl
9. Aaron Grabau
10. Shaun Bruce

Is that close?

Reply #421752 | Report this post

pyscho  
Years ago

Mitch Young also signed with cairns

Reply #421754 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Forgot about that. Is Bruce in as a full time player or out?

Reply #421757 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Bruce is FT. As far as I know they don't know if Grabau will return or not.. So 8 players?

Kings announcement won't be until Friday at the earliest.

Reply #421758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is the kings import a fresh face?

Reply #421763 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Steven Weigh and Arron Bruce for taipans ,fresh face for Sydney kings,I thought Corin Henry was good with Sydney for a point guard ,heal wants a better point guard I suppose.

Reply #421770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signings all round, especially if the kings import is better than Henry who was decent.

I thought the Taipans passed on Bruce? did they change there minds, he except a smaller salary than initially demanding? He is a good player so good to have him stay in the league. On his day not too many Aussie guards better than Bruce, just not able to do it all the time and not always have the right attitude i guess being the reasons he has bounced around the league a bit.

Reply #421771 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

very big chance Grabau will not be back.

Reply #421774 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So Cairns are all filled up with the exception of an import?

Don't fancy their chances of finding a starting C on the import market that fits under a community model budget...

Reply #421778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not Aaron Bruce, it's his brother who was a Taipans DP last year.

Reply #421779 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

They have also been in talks with Aaron, anon..

Reply #421780 | Report this post

the fox  
Years ago

What "community model budget"? Do you really think signing Stephen Weigh, in particular, is indicative of a "community model budget"?

Reply #421805 | Report this post

pyscho  
Years ago

Hudson ??

Reply #421807 | Report this post

Humbug  
Years ago

The only people that will miss Weigh will be the young ladies of Adelaide. I'm ok with letting him go, he's kind of expensive and hopefully Creek steps up!

Reply #421809 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A point per 3 minutes , $70 per point , vide a community model budget. Aw well . Good luck .

Reply #421812 | Report this post

Stevie  
Years ago

I have six cars . I have four houses . I have a plantation in Cairns . I'm also now working on some kind of rocket .

Reply #421816 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce isn't playing in Cairns, he's said he will likely retire!

Reply #421825 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Hudson makes sense here, strong rebounding presence, sort of effort that Fearne loves. Good accompaniment to Trigger.

Much as I like Loughton they can't afford to play him with Trig concurrently.

Reply #421865 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Hahaha Community Model Budget !! Nice one Mick you obviously have your finger on the pulse from Brownsville, who can't raise the community support for a full community ownership like Cairns. Last 2 seasons in a row, Taipans have posted small operating surpluses and grown the business to the extent the new NBL has the Taipans board helping. The player salary spend at the Taipans is around $850-900K (publicly available via the AGM) but is topped up by the Spend to the Cap fund where corporate and generous locals can top up the spending cap with direct sponsorship of the players ie. Jamar Wilson is directly sponsored by Cairns Zoom via the Spend to the Cap Fund and it allowed us to keep him for 3 years and maybe much longer - he lives and breaths what the club is to the community and he attracts more fans and sponsors every season.

Reply #422001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Aaron Bruce isn't playing in Cairns, he's said he will likely retire!"

Not the first time he's threatened to do that.

Reply #422025 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Brownsville? I see what you did there! A pun? How witty.

I actually live in Victoria. But nice try.

For the sake of civil discussion though, a serious question:

Do the Taipans table individual player salaries at the AGM or just the overall roster dollar figure?

The way the Cairns community has embraced their team is great. The outgoing Crocs management did a lot of damage to the team's brand over the past six years and the new group has their work cut out for them in reconnecting with the community; the local business community especially.

Reply #422034 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754