Cam
Years ago

Ultimate Basketball player ever

Just thought I'd muck around and have some fun with this.

What do you think? Anyone I missed.
Note: Sir Charles narrowly missed out on Rebounds because I haven't seen enough of him play. And Shaq was close behind Olajuwon in the Post Play.
Creating the ultimate player using past and present players attributes.

Size: LeBron 6ft9in and 260lbs.
Brain: Magic Johnson.
Clutch factor:Kobe Bryant/Michael Jordan.
Desire: Bryant/Jordan.
Post play: Kareem Abdul-Jabber/Hakeem Olajuwon.
Mid range: MJ
3 shooting: Ray Allen/Reggie Miller.
Defense: Gary Payton/Scottie Pippen.
Rebounding: Dwight Howard.
Shot Blocking: Dikembe Mutumbo.
Intimidation factor: MJ/LeBron.
Passing ability: Magic Johnson/John Stockton.
Ball Handling: CP3/Irving/Curry

Topic #31857 | Report this topic

rjd  
Years ago

Rodman for rebounds

Reply #421831 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Clutch factor Kobe Bryant? Umm I thought you were making the ultimate player, not the ultimate choker. Kobe has made a career out pf choking big games and being bailed out by guys like Gasol, Artest or Shaq. Kobe shoots 28% (!!!) in the last 24 seconds of a game when up/down 5 points. WOW. Kobe has a long list of missed game winners and choking away leads that NOBODY will ever match.

If you're looking to make the ultimate player, stay away from Kobe Bryant for clutch and choose someone else with a proven record who isn't a choker

Reply #421832 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Patty Mills

Reply #421833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MJ was a better defender than GP. GP was great but MJ much better all round defensively.

Reply #421837 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

yawn Ingles, do we put Harden there instead?

Clutch : MJ
Defense : MJ
Ball Handling : Maravich
Rebounds : Rodman
Blocks : Olajuwon

Winning factor : Bill Russell

Reply #421859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden does not deserve a mention in this thread

Reply #421867 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I would go with:

Clutch : MJ
Defense : Bill Russell
Ball Handling : Maravich
Rebounds : Rodman
Blocks : Olajuwon
Offense : Wilt Chamberlain
Athleticism : Lebron
Assists : John Stockton

Reply #421869 | Report this post

Sharod  
Years ago

Shaq should be the factor in size.

Reply #421872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mutombo for defence and intimidation

Reply #421873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Size: Lebron
Athleticism: Lebron
Cluth: MJ
Passing ability: Magic
Ball Handling: Irving/CP3/Isiah?
Rebounding: Rodman
Long Range Shooting: Ray Allen
Mid Range: Kobe/MJ
Post Game: Hakeem
Defense: Scottie Pippen
Attitude: Bill Russell
Desire: MJ
Brain: Magic
Intimidation: MJ/Lebron

Reply #421883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Size: Shaq
Athleticism: lebron
Clutch: Jordan
Passing: magic
Rebounding: Rodman
3pt shooting: Reggie miller
Desire: Jordan
Defence: Russell,Payton, Jordan
Court vision: magic
Intimidation: mutombo

Reply #421888 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Height: Yao Ming
Speed: Iverson
Three point shooting: Ray Ray

Who's stopping a 7-6 pocket rocket with Ray Ray's outside skills? No one, that's who.

Reply #421896 | Report this post

magpies  
Years ago

can't believe that no one has included Bird into anyone of the categories. Surely he would be up there for clutch, desire, and brain. A great all round ability at 6'9 with very limited athletisism. Found ways to win and make his team mate better. Suffered greatly from back injuries which also limited his career.

Reply #421901 | Report this post

Troll Basher  
Years ago

Kobe has hit many clutch game winning shots. When you say Gasol and Artest bailed him out is that the same way weddington and Kerr bailed out MJ?

Your such a hating grouch Ingles shut your mouth punk.

Reply #421905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwight Howard doesn't even deserve a mention in rebounds for this, with his body, he damn well should, but he is soft and massively under performs on the boards. Rodman is an obvious choice

Reply #421916 | Report this post

Ingles 13  
Years ago

Harden is the GOAT IMO. Troll basher you are mean

Reply #421917 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=bryanko01&match=single&year_id=&is_playoffs=&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=&shot_distance_max=&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=0&time_remain_seconds=24&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=&margin_max=&is_tying=Y&is_go_ahead=Y&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg#stats::none

Kobe shoots 24% (!!!!!!) in shots to tie or take the lead with 24 or less seconds left. WOOOW

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=hardeja01&match=single&year_id=&is_playoffs=&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=&shot_distance_max=&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=0&time_remain_seconds=24&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=&margin_max=&is_tying=Y&is_go_ahead=Y&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg

James Harden: 33%

An 11% difference. Lol @ people that believe the myth that Kobe is clutch. There are HUNDREDS of players in the NBA that are still more clutch than kobe.

Oh, and you're*. Learn to spell, kid.

Reply #421922 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

You know you've gotten kids mad with FACTS, when they resort to posting under an extremely similar username to you. Gotta love how dumb lakers fans prove to be day after day.

Reply #421923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles, you should make the statistics relative to the NUMBER of clutch attempts Kobe has taken throughout his career compared to Harden and the "hundreds" of other players. Percentages become invalid when the sample sizes have such a large variance. So your FACTS become nothing more than an unsubstantiated generalisation.

And putting Harden in this list ahead of Kobe has to be some kind of joke doesn't it? Not a very funny one at that..

The closest to the ultimate player was, is and always will be Oscar Robertson.

Reply #421934 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Dirk: 39%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=nowitdi01&match=single&year_id=&is_playoffs=&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=&shot_distance_max=&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=0&time_remain_seconds=24&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=&margin_max=&is_tying=Y&is_go_ahead=Y&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg

Is that a large enough sample size?

Reply #421935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dirk - yes. Completely with you on Dirk's clutch being way better than Kobe's

Harden - maybe in another 10 years

Reply #421940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony Kukoc-could play any position. He delivered every game ,hence the nickname the waiter.

Reply #421941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Ingles 13. Thanks for the laughs alot of people think you're a tool but not me you're my entertainment:) promise me you will never change
James xxx

Reply #421942 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Kobe = 24% Harden = 33% which is an 11% increase??

Wow, you are really showing some good maths skills there..

Don't let true figures get in the way of your story though ingles...

Reply #421945 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

That is a MONUMENTAL difference. WOW

Reply #421946 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Ingles, for future reference, 33-24 = 9.

Reply #421955 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Just hard to take anything you say seriously when you constantly harp on about how good Harden is,or how bad Bryant is. Plus, your stats are incorrect.

Sorry for derailing though.
Agree with magpies, Bird should be in there, maybe for basketball I.Q.

Reply #421960 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

The stats are 100% correct. Me saying 11% instead of 9% is a typo. I did not bring Harden into this thread. Someone else did. I was simply stating FACTS when other people are throwing around their biased opinions.

My facts > your bitter opinions

39% > 33% > 24%

Reply #421965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BRAIN: Larry Bird

Tommy Heinsohn, a former Boston Celtics player and coach said the following of Larry Bird:
"He was playing chess while everyone else was playing checkers."

Reply #421978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trash talking: Larry Bird

Reply #421990 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Trash talking Gary Payton!

Reply #421994 | Report this post

agrid  
Years ago

McHale in the post, Bird in the clutch.

Reply #422020 | Report this post

Troll Basher  
Years ago

Yes ingles but Kobe has had 17 years of getting the ball in the final seconds and it doesn't take a genius to figure out the degree of difficulty these shots are in the dying seconds when you're triple teamed. I bet Kobe has been in more clutch situations than you've had wanks ( and that's plenty ;) )

But a box score nerd like you only reads numbers and has no grasp on real basketball cause you don't even play.

My all time hero is MJ, I'm 33 and grew up loving the Bulls. The only reason I love Kobe is because he is the closest thing you are ever gonna see to MJ. FACT BITCH!

LeBron is an unbelievable talent and IMO a better all round player than Kobe but ffs shut your mouth man im sick of your hating, I dislike the Spurs and Duncan but have RESPECT for what they achieve.

You're just a punk with a keyboard with no fucking life.

Kobe will be talked about 200 years from now so eat a dick stat boy.

Reply #422071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha ha grammar boy Ingles can't even add up. Ha ha typo my ass man you're retarted.
2+2=4 go back to year 3 mathematics.

Can this day get any better.

Ha ha

Lol lol lol

Reply #422075 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

@Troll basher, you don't have to get so angry over FACTS. This thread was made to create the ultimate basketball player. The clueless op suggested Kobe for 'clutch' and I factually corrected him with plenty of data suggesting Kobe is extremely unclutch. Facts aren't hating. It's sad how far Kobe fanboys will go to decend their god, truly sad.

Reply #422078 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Prime Shaq covers many areas.

Reply #422079 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Prime Shaq is the only reason why Kobe was ever relevant

Reply #422080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden will never be relevant

Reply #422091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden can't even get out of the first round without Durant and Westbrook

Reply #422097 | Report this post

Troll Basher  
Years ago

So ingles let's talk about what players have achieved without Kobe

Shaq- 1 title which was only achieved through D Wade
Countless trips to the playoffs jumping on every relevant team suns, cavs, celtics all coming up short, not even making the finals. Shaq got swept in Orlando do you remember?? Prob not in 94 you were 4yrs old.
Odom- done nothing without Kobe
Gasol- what is his playoff record without the Mumba?? Prob 2-15
Artest- until Kobe his biggest achievement was the rumble in the palace
Shannon Brown- yes that's it, who?? Don't know what team he is currently playing for off the top of my head
Vujacic- that's right I remember him. Is he even playing?
Bynum- ha ha. Next
Jordan farmar- who??

Basically all these players are very great full that the clutchness of Kobe Bryant was wearing the same uniform as them and it's not even debatable.

You lose again Ingles13

I should be a lawyer.

Reply #422100 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Typical Kobe stan straying from the point of this topic and bringing up irrelevant opinions. Keep stretching, bro. 0 FACTS = 0 CREDIBILITY

Reply #422103 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Ingles, you were posting while the game was on. What's up with that? You'd rather argue like a brat rather than watch an NBA finals game? Come on mate.

Can you seriously just answer the following question please:

Do you really believe what you are saying regarding Kobe and the Lakers being better without him?

Reply #422106 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

33% > 24%

Kobe being in the clutch category should be a bannable offence on here

Reply #422109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the real answer is me ...end thread !

Reply #422196 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

It's amazing how many of these categories I'd "settle" for Hakeem Olajuwon and Oscar Robertson, but surely your forgetting a very important category...

Health:

Who is the healthiest player of all time ie, fitness and injury free

Reply #422240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Probably Stockton or Kidd

Reply #422282 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

AC Green - played approx 1100 straight games at one stage (from memory).

What about the "all-rounder" factor? I'd go Grant Hill

Reply #422430 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:36 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754