PlaymakerMo
Years ago

Boomers team named for Sino-Australia Challenge

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2922&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=8d5e584133

A.Gibson / J.Cadee
B.Madgen / C.Goulding / I.Hadziomerovic
C.Gliddon / C.Steindl
J.Wagstaff / A.Petrie / C.Bairstow
L.Nevill / D.Johnson

Topic #31862 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

about right i'd say

Reply #421891 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

Four wa boy's well done!! And wags an adopted wa boy

Reply #421892 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Good team. Good mix of athletes and shooters. Gibbo needs to step up and lead this team with steady point guard play and good defence. Bairstow will surprise a few who haven't seem much of him play. Madgen looking to continue his rapid rise and secure a spot on the Boomers for the Oceania Champs, and the next years World Cup.

Reply #421894 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Brendan Teys must have just missed out.

Reply #421898 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Considering it's our C team doesn't look that bad

Reply #421900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ummm 4 players from the team that got the wooden spoon in the NBL this year!!!

Reply #421902 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Not a bad team. Steindl and Hadziomerovic are the weakest links...but both are suited to International competition.

Reply #421906 | Report this post

Ruthless  
Years ago

How does Cadee make this team after leading the 36ers to bottom and putting up such horrible numbers and net being able to guard ANYONE in the NBL

I mean, last week, Sam Daly absolutely handed him his arse.

Reply #421910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never ever understood the fascination with Jason Cadee and have been disappointed with his form this season for West Adelaide.

Reply #421911 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the gibson/cadee spot looks weak.....they are both prone to delivering very poor games at anytime and together, hence bottom of ladder 36ers.

Reply #421913 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I think Cadee's selection probably comes down to availability of point guards for this series if nothing else, which probably also explains Hadziomerovic's selection too.

Reply #421914 | Report this post

Ingles 13  
Years ago

Too many Adelaide players in this squad this team is shit

Reply #421915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why no Worthington?

Reply #421918 | Report this post

LeRoid James  
Years ago

Cadee is awful, just not a fan of his game. To small, to skinny and can not penetrate. I really think he should come off the bench at NBL level and he gets selected to represent Australia?????

Reply #421919 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Nearly everyone on this forum picked Adelaide to make the playoffs last year, these decisions being based on the talent of their roster only. Gibson, Johnson and Petrie clearly possess the talent level to be part of this 'C' level Boomers team. Cadee's selection is really the only one of the four Adelaide players that is questionable in my mind, but as mentioned earlier, really comes down to positional needs.

Reply #421920 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon, Worthington was not a member of the initial 20-man squad for this series. I'm sure he'll be part of the squad for the Oceania Championship.

Reply #421921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee played very well against China last year, he will do so again I would imagine, guards in the NBL are much tougher to deal with than these guys.

Reply #421925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comments about Cadee here are probably not far from wrong, but keep in mind that Lemanis would have a pretty good idea about the value of Cadee, and those of his alternatives - I'd trust him to have made the right call.

Reply #421928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will struggle without the force of Patty Mills and Aaron Baynes

Reply #421932 | Report this post

Bill Simmons  
Years ago

S Daly > Cadee

Reply #421939 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Cadee to me is a bit of a surprise and I must agree that I dont think he is really that good. I am a little surprised SImmons didnt make the team... If you are going to make a Boomers team for the future.. He should be front and center... the closest most these other guys wioll get to the next World Championships or Olympics is watching it on TV.

I did agree with Hadziomerovic being added, what I have seen olf him he does look like he has a lot of potential.

Reply #421950 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Simmons is too young to be exposed to a Chinese team with 10 Olympians. His time will come, so long as his development is carefully managed, as it seemingly is in this case. Remember, this is the first time he's been included in a Boomers camp. There's no doubt Lemanis will have him shortlisted for Rio, but I wouldn't think we'll see him in a Boomers uniform much earlier than that.

Reply #421953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys remember Cadee is only young. He could have taken some big strides since last time we saw him.

Reply #421954 | Report this post

Ruthless  
Years ago

Nah mate, Saw him last Saturday night and he got beat by an 18 year old. ANd soundly beaten at that.

Reply #421958 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I just dont think this team looks like the future of Australian Basketball sadly

Reply #421961 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Who said it was?

Reply #421962 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

"emerging Boomers Squad'

Reply #421966 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

And that's fair enough. There are 8-9 guys on this team who have a chance to represent the Boomers at a World Cup or Olympics in the future. What more do you want?

Reply #421968 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

I may be cynical - and I know it is supposed to be an "emerging" squad, but if you look at the Chinese team there is not one player under 188cm. If the Chinese team is "experienced" and "out to impress" the new (Greek) coach as noted on the BA website then it it possible that the Boomers will get an arse kicking.

Reply #421969 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

There is slight height differential, Aussies average 199cm whereas Chinese are 202cm. At the end of the day, this will give everyone a really good indication of where our national program is, if we can compete against a near full strength Chinese team.

Reply #421970 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

That's exactly why guys like Cadee shouldn't get comfortable or think that 'they've made it'.

There is a whole host of taller, longer, quicker players emerging in the ranks and playing in College basketball that if not already better than them, will surpass them pretty damn soon.

Guys like Exum, Simmons, Odigie, Duncan and even a guy like Djeric who is just 18 with good height (close to 6"4)

Guys like Cadee are essentially the best locally available players.

Don't forget the Exums etc. as well as the already established college players like Greenwodd, Heuir (underrated!!), McCarron (who in his 1st year at Metro State averaged 13ppg. more than what Worthington averaged in his junior year).

Reply #421971 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Lemanis must see something good in the players he's chosen, otherwise they wouldn't be there. A few bolters from low ranking teams, namely Adelaide's Petrie, Cadee and DJ (not surprised at Gibbo as technically he was incumbent from London). Other than Peach who we know will give it his all regardless, if a good coach like Lemanis can get good performances (O and D) from the likes of Cadee and DJ, then all the better. The thing I'm interested to see is how DJ's defense stands up

If Lemanis can get the best out of them it might be a pointer to Joey Wright (another good coach) doing the same for the 36ers, unlike our previous coach who-shall-remain-nameless less these forums become darkened again.

Overall, considering the likes of Bogut and Mills aren't playing, the team isn't all that bad.

Reply #421972 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

how did Gliddon make the team? his NBL stats show he averaged 35% from 2pt range and 28% from 3Pt with only 4 rebounds and 2 assists in 29 minutes of play?

Ben Simmons is obviously too young to be included ATM and its not Tennis Australia trying to burn the young guys but would have liked to have seen how his game is developing.

Reply #421974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vart,

China is missing Yi Jianlian their best player by a country mile.

Reply #421976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@LanceUppercut - you're complaining about Gliddon making the team but no mention of Steindl? Clearly Gliddon has something to offer otherwise he wouldnt have averaged 29 mins a game (probably top 10 in league in minutes) as a rookie in the NBL... Also, he would likely be in for his defensive capabilities being able to guard positions 1/2/3 (also 3rd in steals in NBL)

Looking forward to watching the games. Very interested to see how Goulding and Madgen perform

Reply #421979 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

it will be interesting to watch Goulding....no question about his skill set but how long can he stay in the structure of an international game??

me thinks not long!

Reply #421982 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I have mentioned it before... there is between 20 and 24 players that would be higher in the pecking order then these guys that are not in the squad. It really isnt a true indication of our depth.

Reply #421983 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's an excellent indication of our depth. We have around 10 guys playing professionally overseas who would make this squad, 5 or 6 in the NBL and 3 who have finished college. Then there are 6 or 7 good players in this squad who could play a role for the Boomers.

That's around 25 players we can put in the mix, that's good depth, then you throw in some exciting youngsters around that.

Reply #421997 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Paul we got 24 guys that could play for the Boomers before even getting to the current squad!

Matty Dellevadova
Patty Mills
Dante Exum
Joe Ingles
Brad Newley
Ryan Broekohff
Hugh Greenwood
Anthony Drmic
Joe Ingles
David Barlow
Mark Worthington
Todd Blanchfeild
Nathan Jawai
Brock Motum
David Anderson
Aaron Baynes
Andrew Bogut
Thon Maker
AJ Ogilvy
David Anderson
Anatoly Bose
Julian Khazzouh
Aleks Maric
Daniel Kickert (if you really must)

Reply #422003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you got ingles twice and Andersen twice, take out khazzouh and bose that makes 20 but I see your point youknowME I have no interest in this china series either. Bring on the oceania championship. I don't rate kickert either but until Duncan, pineau and bolden develop he is in the mix

Reply #422006 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I am still interested in the China series... I just dont see how any of them are going to fight there way into a World Champs team... But if they win, it would be like HA! our D team beat your A team! funny thing is its feasible.

Reply #422013 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Bit of an experimental "C" grade squad (agree how can Cadee possibly get in there after seeing his ABL game at Starplex and with his stats in the NBL), but with the potential of some players that might impress at international level and make the step up.

BTW I would love to see any of these players including Cadee to make big improvements in their game. Anything is possible as I remember Anstey on the bench with Melbourne for so long.

Reply #422016 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Chris Anstey was THE MAN in his MVP season. Seriously one of the most dominant players in the league.

Reply #422017 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Looks like Ater Majok fallen off the radar

Reply #422019 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

What happened to blanchfield? I thought there were reports he was selected for this camp, he's as big and athletic as steindl and gliddon and averaged better numbers than both last year. Was he injured?

Reply #422026 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

YouKnowMe, that was exactly my point.

I dont agree with a number of your selections being ahead of anyone in this squad (Maker, Blanchfield, Drmic, Kickert, Bose, Greenwood) which brings it back to the 18 or 19 I mentioned.

Guys like Nevill, Petrie, Goulding and Madgen all fill holes in our current team so if they could perform well here we might well see them in August.

Cadee has performed well for Emerging Boomers before, we are all hoping to see Daniel Johnson finally play some defence, Cam Gliddon has an international style game, and Im interested to see if Gibson's more mature game last NBL season translates into green and gold.

This isnt Boomers A, but I have an interest in this series in the same way I used to have an interest in getting to the footy early and seeing the reserves play.

Reply #422028 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah I would much rather go younger with upside than this crap. This series doesn't mean anything.

None of the guys on this roster can ever expect to play on a full strength Boomers squad. Madgen maybe could take PC's spot from London.

Why not give minutes to guys who actually might one day be Boomers?

Reply #422036 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

That's not correct Mick. There's 8-9 guys who could be on a full strength Boomers team in the future. Maybe not next year, and probably not all at the same time, but to say none of the guys on this roster can ever expect to play on a full strength Boomers squad is just not right.

Reply #422039 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

This team wouldnt make the playoffs

Reply #422045 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"There's 8-9 guys who could be on a full strength Boomers team in the future."

Bit of a stretch.

A.Gibson= Yes, next year. But only because the Boomers don't have a really suitable backup PG

J.Cadee= He would have to improve a lot

B.Madgen =one of my fav players at NBL level. Just not sure if he could get those shots off at Intl level. Is 28 y.o. as well

C.Goulding = possible backup SG. But Drmic (and maybe Igor) are hot on his heels. Not to mention Exum.

I.Hadziomerovic = could see him in a Boomers uniform. Drmic will definently make it IMO.

C.Gliddon = good player, possibly. Needs to show more in NBL

C.Steindl = average NBL player. One-dimensional.

J.Wagstaff = a poor mans Dave Barlow

A.Petrie = like his game. But 30 y.o.

C.Bairstow = will suprise people.
L.Nevill = foot speed too slow?
D.Johnson = Maybe. But with the likes of Jawai, Baynes, Bogut. Still can't forget Ogilvy either. Aleks Maric as well.

Reply #422051 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Only 2, maybe 3 of those 12 guys I could see playing in future Australian Boomers teams.

Gibson been one. Probably Oceania series. Because there is no one else.

Bairstow. Think he can be a really good player for the Boomers. Did some nice things at College. Could easily be a 15 and 10 guy at the Lobos next year.(Lobos play in a tough conference as well supposedly)

Reply #422053 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I'll be keeping count MACDUB, don't worry.

Reply #422055 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Completely disagree Vart.

Ben Madgen is the only one, and he's 28 so there is a window closing there already.

A.Gibson - won't be a Boomer again in a top level tournament
J.Cadee - hell no
B.Madgen - maybe - only because no Aussies can shoot at the moment
C.Goulding - Boomers could actually use his cockiness and shooting. But probably not.
I.Hadziomerovic - no
C.Gliddon - no.
C.Steindl - no.
J.Wagstaff - no
A.Petrie - love his game but no
C.Bairstow - hard to say. Lots of depth up front so will be hard.
L.Nevill - too much depth at his position - no.
D.Johnson - hell no

Look at the guys in their prime who are already entrenched in the real Boomers team, and then look at the next generation coming through. It's gonna be very hard for anyone from this China series to even get a sniff at an Olympics or WC.

Goulding and Madgen would be considered for the next WC only. Any time after that and they are blown out of the water by Exum's generation.

Reply #422060 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Mick x2

Reply #422063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is so good about exum/simmons generation? Anything can happen and I dont like assuming that they are going to be the saviour of the boomers.

I agree that Madgen is probably the best here, and should replace Adam Gibson in 2016. Goulding and Peach also very worthy, but Cadee, come on. Guy is weak physically and very inconsistent on court.

Reply #422064 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but who is Peach gonna knock out? Look who he is up against in the front court depth chart. It's not gonna happen.

And Madgen and Goulding will be competing for the same spot so its gonna be one or the other, if at all.

You're right about the next generation. Anything can happen. Exum or Simmons could turn out to be a total bust at the pro level. They're still very raw and are getting by on talent more than anything. But at least there is that upside. There isn't much upside on this China series roster. They are all mostly known quantities with defined ceilings.

Reply #422068 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

In the Hoop Sum' there was 1 play where Exum off the dribble exploded to the ring to dunk, ball rimmed out. For those who saw it will know the play. I think all there watching put him down as a lottery pick at that moment.

Reply #422074 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Lol. its the 'Boomers if everyone else gets killed in a plane crash' team

Reply #422077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha yeah, I am sure Simmons/Exum will come good and surely play for the Boomers, but I think they should at least be in college before they are given a serious look at selection. Will hopefully be seeing them in the NBA in just over 4 years time.

Reply #422082 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I got the impression of 36ers starting PG , Cadee needing a bitta help . Still , that team was mismanaged with great skill.
Seems Australia's qualifying soccer games are being shown on SBS tv .

Reply #422083 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

on a serious note.. Why wasent Zac Delaney picked?

Reply #422085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shout out to our Ex Coaches for the work they put in with our 4 Boomer reps.
Shame we couldnt gets some more wins to save your jobs.

Reply #422117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually a bit of an indictment on Marty & Radford that we have 4 Boomers yet finished with yet another wooden spoon.

Reply #422124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has 4 Boomers now, good luck with that!
Marty had 1!

Reply #422128 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

So at the Olympics we took a man called Peter Crawford, now he can't make our C team that has 3 shooting guards... I'm thinking he was a bad choice looking back now!

Reply #422136 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I knew he was a bad choice even at the time...

Reply #422137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PC wasnt available.

Reply #422138 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

PC is far too old to make a future Boomers team anyways

Reply #422149 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754