Nathan of Perth
Years ago

Perth Wildcats sign Mathiang Muo

Just got this around, very left field as I haven't heard this name in any of the signing discussions:

Perth Wildcats sign Mathiang Muo

The Perth Wildcats are pleased to announce the signing of Australian guard Mathiang Muo on a three-year contract.

Muo has recently graduated from Charleston Southern University, a Division One college in South Carolina, USA.

The 26-year-old stands at 195cm and weighs 98kg making him a strong and athletic player who can play multiple positions. His best attribute is his long range shooting and last season he shot a blistering 40 per cent from the three-point line for CSU.

Outside of his shooting, he has the ability to put the ball on the floor to make his own shot or get to the hoop where he can take a hit and get to the free-throw line.

As an Australian playing college in the USA, Muo will only take up three points on the NBL points cap system and the Wildcats believe this is a bargain for a player of his skill level and experience.

Muo is thrilled to begin his professional playing career at the Wildcats.

"I am very pleased and honoured to be joining the Perth Wildcats family. It is very exciting for me to be able to go back to Australia, where my journey with basketball began," he said.

“To be able to play in front of my family and the fans in Perth. It's an opportunity I am looking forward to and welcome the great experiences that are going to come my way with it.”

Mathiang Muo’s journey to professional basketball is a true story of survival and perseverance.

He was born in war-torn Sudan where he spent most of his childhood before fleeing to Egypt. His family then settled in Australia where he first discovered basketball in his teenage years.

He then attended prep school in the United States before attending the College of Central Florida prior to beginning at CSU, where his coaches speak highly of his maturity and hard working attitude.

Muo becomes the seventh player on the Wildcats roster for the 2013/14 NBL season.

Topic #31869 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

Graduating at 26?

Reply #422089 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Unusually old, yes.

After watching Bartlett go 0/6 from the arc in one game last year, if he can get near that 40% against NBL opposition, he'll be a better player at fewer points. Hopefully the extra years brings some maturity and composure, as well.

Reply #422092 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The Wildcats haven't won a game with Muo in their line up so he can't be good

#ingles13logic

Reply #422093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11 points and 5 rebounds with >40% from three at a division one college is pretty good.

Reply #422094 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Also, the first fresh blood into the NBL so far this off-season, unless I missed a couple signings.

Reply #422095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better then all of us that hasnt ever played NCAA Ball,

Let alone at a Div 1 college!

Reply #422096 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Nathan, Mitchell Young signed with Carins was the first

Reply #422099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redage/Wagstaff
Knight/Import
Martin/Barlett
Import/Muo
Hire/Ellis

All good

Reply #422101 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Looks like a good signing. Very excited about the prospect of having a reliable 3 point shooter - lets hope it works out!

Would love for the Cats to sign Cody Ellis now that Trueman has signed with the Breakers.

Reply #422107 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Big Sexy,

Cheers

Reply #422110 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Pretty good pickup IMO.

Muo is a great shooter and can light it up. He demonstrated in college that he has the ability to explode for 20+ in any given game.

Reply #422112 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/46640/mathiang-muo

Reply #422113 | Report this post

Acuoth  
Years ago

I played with him 2004-2005 in SBL. talented player with high basketball IQ. He is going to bring a lot of excitement to this game. well done Wildcats

Reply #422114 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Good to get some encouraging news after a lot of the recent uncertainty. Has me feeling hungrier for what our import choices will be.

Reply #422115 | Report this post

PacoLoco  
Years ago

I'm sure Muo will be good, but is it just me scratching my head why new players are being signed with no coach in place yet??

Reply #422120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you need a coach to sign players?

Reply #422131 | Report this post

wildcat fan  
Years ago

channel 10 sport ran a story last night that trevor gleeson yes gleeson is favourite for wildcats job.

Reply #422134 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

So we have
Hire 6pt,
Muo 3pt,
Knight 10pt,
Redhage 10pt (29pt)

joining

Martin 9pt*,
Wagstaff 8pt*,
Bartlett 4pt* (21pt)

Giving us 20pts for 3 players.

Bet the Cats would murder to knock off one last point.

Reply #422139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they sign Ellis that would leave 17points with lisch replacement taking up 10pts. 7 points remaining for a back up big. With Martin injured we could grab an import point guard to fill in .

Reply #422172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bet they have signed a coach, if it is gleeson then it's a step backwards and if it is him they won't announce it until after member renewal cut off date otherwise peeps won't we sign if he is signed as coach, no matter how passionate peeps are for the cats.

Off topic,

I know a couple of members that won't rejoin after having a conversation with marvin after the grand final lose, the conversation ended with marvin tell them that if that's the way you think then we don't want you a members.....

Reply #422176 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Why Gleeson a backward step?

Reply #422247 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Umm you put the question mark in the wrong place. I'm pretty sure you meant

Why Gleeson?
a backward step

Reply #422251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get back to work Anstey. See you at the cage when Gleeson embarrasses you by ripping your coaching skills apart.

Reply #422256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey great player, shit coach imo

Reply #422261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I know a couple of members that won't rejoin after having a conversation with marvin after the grand final lose, the conversation ended with marvin tell them that if that's the way you think then we don't want you a members."

He has been rude and abrupt to members since his first season. Nothing new. No idea how he even became Cats GM in the first place other than he was the right hand man of Bendat's in previous businesses?

Reply #422473 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Any chance we can find out what those members said to Marvin to prompt him to say that?

That is, one of the 8,200 members that the rude and abrupt Marvin has helped attract to the club...

Reply #422478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is way overcredited for being at the helm of the strongest club in the league returning to the CBD and a new stadium.

Reply #422480 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

If that's true then it's the fault of whoever is dishing out the credit, not the fault of the person on the receiving end of it.

I have had the occasional interaction with Marvin over the years and have never had an issue, so I too would be interested to know what prompted that response from him (assuming it actually occurred). It sounds like a response to something pretty retarded.

Reply #422507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All that was said was a couple of the members where a little disappointed that the player didnt come out for like 5 mins after the GF lose, Marvin went on to say that they shouldnt have to come out as they are bleeding and that it was a stupid to think they would come out, the member then said we are bleeding as well and that as a paying member it would have been nice if they came out even if it was to see the members then head back out.

peeps speaking to Dennis at the Ball he said that they went even asked to come out and that they would have if been asked as they didnt know the members area was even open.

Reply #422748 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Did the member cut himself too?

Reply #422749 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Marvin once got back to me on a merchandising issue on a public holiday to say it would be dealt with when staff returned. That was pretty impressive.

Reply #422753 | Report this post

Roger  
Years ago

The Perth Wildcats are lucky to have someone as competant as Nick Marvin running our organisation. The current situation is testament to his leadership, whilst people get on his case to make snap decisions on the roster and coaching appointments he holds his nerve and makes good decisions for the immediate and long term future of the club. Before you whinge about Nick have a look at some of the other clubs and the financial and roster predicaments they get themselves into, i think we should appreciate what we have.

just my opinion

Reply #422756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had heard that the cats only had half the staff at the end of the season that they started with, dunno how tru that is

Reply #422798 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Total speculation on my part but that makes sense to me, as they had an absolute shitload of staff early on. Justifiable too, given the change from Challenge to Perth Arena and the associated huge push for members & sponsors.
I would assume that had settled down by the end of the season with all the changes out of the way, and they were able to return to a more normal staffing level.

Reply #422813 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754