Happy
Years ago

Foley signs with Lightning

For this season & import to come = better team than withi MVP
Summerton and the young big from Townsville will provide much more and Lightming needed the outside shot and leadership Foley brings

Topic #31872 | Report this topic

ANON  
Years ago

Ahh so much for retiremnt. Bit of money and you can get any one to play for anybody. Very surprised to see Foley back in Adelaide where she said she would never go!!!! Wonder whether Buckle will have same amount of faith in Foley as Lucas did when she was horrible at the start of the year.

Reply #422186 | Report this post

#  
Years ago

jess can be a match winner - you dont play at duke, opals squad, captain a premiership wnbl team, get a wnba draft and training camp contract if you cant play.

will provide an outside shot option.

really happy with this as jess is a winner / achiever.

still would like a quality 5 player - so of those players that didnt make the wnba draft / cut from camps look good - wilson / mcauley.

wonder who the 5 player will be - as suzy brought so much.

Reply #422218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LIGHTNING championship starter and Townsville grand final star Jess Foley has signed with Adelaide for the 2013-14 WNBL season, defying stories she has retired.

The potential addition of the title "Dr Foley, GP" made Foley, 30 and a league All Star Five selection in Adelaide Lightning's 2008 championship season, believe her playing career might be over.

It was an easy presumption to make after she led Townsville Fire into the 2013 grand final against Bendigo Spirit, her intention post-season to pursue a career in medicine an open secret.

"To be honest, I really didn't know how much of a time commitment doing a four-year grad course to become a GP would mean," Foley said.

"I didn't know what to expect from med school."

Once Foley informed the Fire she would not be back - Flinders University's four-year grad course preferable to the six years required in Townsville - word spread quickly the 182cm shooting guard was hanging up her boots after the grand final run.

"The WNBL just ran with it," Foley said.

"Then after the grand final when (Bendigo captain) Kristi Harrower made her speech, she congratulated me on a great career and I was blown away.

"I thought: 'Maybe I should retire'."

Moving back to Adelaide where she was a starter, a star and even captain during her Lightning run from 2006-10, to become a doctor made playing WNBL seem unlikely.

When she left the club for a season with Dandenong before joining former Lightning coach Chris Lucas for successive play-off runs with Townsville, it did appear that door might be closed.

But it was kicked open this week when Adelaide signed the star to shore up a team reeling from the loss of dual league-MVP Suzy Batkovic to Townsville.

One of her first calls was to Lucas, who recruited her for Adelaide in 2006 and with whom she had stayed close after his dismissal by the club in 2008.

"I spoke to Chris," Foley said. "He was very good. It was a tough call because I loved my time in Townsville and I really respect him as a coach.

"I mean, I did think it (studying medicine) would be a massive time commitment."

Lucas wasn't the only person who believed Foley would not play WNBL again.

New Opals coach Brendan Joyce left her out of his first squad of 35 for exactly that reason.

"Yes, I definitely thought she had retired," he said.

"I watched the grand final and I like how she plays and what she brings."

The oversight is likely to be corrected next time around, the Fire also able to move forward without their 2013 MVP.

"I'm a little shocked but not surprised," Lucas said of Foley's return to the hardwood.

"I have the utmost respect for her and it will be difficult coaching against her.

"She was our club MVP this season and is a wonderful player and a wonderful person."

Lightning chairman Vince Marino said he welcomed the star back into the fold.

"She brings great all-round ability and means we again have the basis of a team to challenge (for the title)," he said.

"We will look now for an import (centre) to replace Suzy."

Foley, who studied environmental science and fulfilled her pre-med courses while playing at famous Duke University, is excited to conclude her career in Adelaide.

"My body is the best it's been for the last couple of years and I have a lot of good relationships with many of the Lightning players," she said.

"And I just want to be a GP."

Foley brings the right medicine for Adelaide.

JESS FOLEY - THE FACTS

Birthplace: Bega, NSW

Height: 182cm

Position: Guard/Fwd

Teams: AIS, Duke University, Adelaide Lightning, Norwood Flames, Dandenong Rangers, Townsville Fire.

Honours: Opals selection 2009, World Uni Games gold medal team 2007, WNBL All Star Five 2008, WNBL championship 2008, Lightning MVP 2009, Halls Medal 2011, Townsville MVP 2013, Australian U21 team 2001.

Reply #422236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#... Foley has not captained a wnbl premiership team

Reply #422510 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

kia vaughn, kara braxton, kelsey bone existing wnba players that could replace suzy.

or mcauley or wilson as post college grad players that could get it done.

Reply #422514 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754