Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers v China Game 2

Game 2 of the Sino-Australia Challenge today. This game is at the WA Basketball Centre, not the Perth Arena. Been sold out for a few days now, being a 2000 seat stadium it was probably expected to do so.
Starters would likely stay the same as Game 1, only change to the team will be Madgen out with dislocated ankle.
1. Gibson
2. Goulding
3. Gliddon
4. Petrie
5. Nevill
Expect the game to be a lot more exciting than game 1, since it isn't possible to be that bad again...
Live on one of the Fox Sports 3.30pm Adelaide time

Topic #31882 | Report this topic

YouknowME  
Years ago

Coveraqge starts at 3 I think

Reply #422353 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Australia by 16 my bet

Reply #422355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting in Perth now

Reply #422356 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Aust by 7

Reply #422357 | Report this post

/  
Years ago

Lets check out the highlights ................... ............. )

Reply #422358 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

This is literally the worst pre-game sports coverage I have ever seen.

Reply #422359 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Aussies looking great early for a new team.

Reply #422362 | Report this post

Shanna  
Years ago

Anyone taping this?

Reply #422363 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

glad NOT to see D Johnson playing.

these commentators are terrible.

Reply #422364 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Gliddon lighting it up.

Reply #422365 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Gliddon has to be top candidate for Most Improved this coming season. Glad he's on my team.

Reply #422366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee doing well too

Reply #422367 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

up 21 by the half. thats what we should be doing to China.

Reply #422368 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

At the half, Gliddon+Nevil is leading China 20 to 19.

Reply #422370 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

wtf is wrong with Mike Ellis? that was a very intentional and cheap foul by the chinese player on Goulding that could have resulted in a serious injury, setting a screen and elbowing someone in the side of the head is a very dangerous and cheap shot, but Mike Ellis didn't think much of it. the tool should stick to AFL commentary.

Reply #422371 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Gliddons making a solid Boomer's claim right here. Could do a lot worse then have him as a PC role in the worlds.

Reply #422372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did I hear right Mike Ellis pumping up his own son pre-game??

Gibson looks to have struggled again from what I saw. Lacking confidence and Cadee surprisingly looking better suited in backcourt with Gliddon. New coach seems to have Boomers playing a good style of basketball.

Other lowlight is the crap BA advertising on digital boards court side. Did this annoy anyone else. International game and a great opportunity to sell sponsor advertising and BA instead advertise its own brand. Strange.

Reply #422373 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

agree YouknowME, Gliddons been running the lanes well and making smart plays. if he developed a more consistent quick release three he would be a real asset.

Reply #422374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a year for Clint steindl first he makes the all star game and playing for the boomers !! No im not a steindl hater but you have to admit he doesn't belong in either team

Reply #422375 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Bairestow doing ok. Johnson sorry no good. Good to see the Aussies do a lot better than they did on Friday

Reply #422376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers win 85-50.

Reply #422377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players that should be into the next camp
Bairstow, gliddon, Goulding, Gibson, wagstaff

The rest sadly no

And If gliddon can hit the gym and bulk up a bit he will be a future boomer.

Reply #422378 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

A different team today impressed with gliddon and goulding didn't miss madgen at all. Don't see a tv career for mike Ellis!

Reply #422379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After this series what's next for boomers? Stankovic cup?

Reply #422380 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Everything else aside, this series was meant to be about unearthing potential Boomer's and to that end, they have been succesful. They have unearthed Cam Gliddon.

Reply #422381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon, Petrie, Nevill and Goulding have shown a bit so far. Looking forward to seeing them in China against hostile reffing.

Reply #422382 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yes, CHinas refs are ridiculously bias from what I have seen before.

Call ups to next camp?

Gliddon, Goulding, Petrie, Bairstow

Reply #422383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure on advertising but pretty sure if run under FIBA, and the refs were certainly wearing FIBA shirts, there will be no adverts. Courts and courtside should be plain and simple.

Reply #422384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevill will be there if he has 2 more games anywhere close to today.

Reply #422385 | Report this post

frank  
Years ago

I really like Cameron Bairstow, gets in great position, and finishes quite well, Luke Nevill was good today, he can be good depth (very solid offensively) and Cameron Gliddon is the next Peter Crawford, but better!! He can future A squad Boomer. Chris Goulding I thought was brilliant at both ends of the floor. This is a really goodsquad for a C or D squad minus Johnston who is just terrible.

A great performance today and I am excited by the depth of our team. I think Bairstow and Gliddon have a future in the Boomers A squad.

Well done everyone today!!!!

Reply #422386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Gibson will be there for sure.

Reply #422387 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Gliddon, Goulding,Neville, Petrie & Gibson played the best of this boomers team so far.

Iggy showed that he's developing into a smart ball handler.

despite his best efforts Wagstaff really lacks even the most basic basketball fundamentals, had a bunch of turnovers, can't seem to dribble or shoot without turning it over. He really gives it everything which is great but really needs to work on the basics. looks very aba.

Reply #422389 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Have to agree with Lance. Wagstaff is really a poor mans Worthington. I dont see what use Wagstaff will have in a squad where wortho is already there... Or there are versatile 4-5 men like Brock Motum etc.

Reply #422390 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Gliddon looks very comfortable out there....Mike Ellis is still a deadshit after all these years.

Reply #422396 | Report this post

agrid  
Years ago

Gliddon = fantastic job.
Nevill = great job.
Ellis=dickhead.

Reply #422399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boxscore:

http://www.basketball.net.au/fileadmin/user_upload/images/Boomers/Boomers_vs_China_09-06-13.pdf

Reply #422401 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I'd like Gliddon to double in muscle then he would be a real star for us. lol

Reply #422402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Crawford can get a boomers berth then surely gliddon is worth a look. a lot can happen over next 12 months but imo there are a couple of backcourt spots up for grabs (after mills,delly and newley) so who knows he could make it. hope he works on his 3pt shot.

Reply #422403 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Gliddon has totally surprised me. He actually plays better if anything in the Boomers singlet. He had a hand in many of the plays tonight. Hes definitely put himself into calculations.

So whats the deal from here... is there the stankovic cup after this? or some other series before New Zealand? Who is said to be availible?

Reply #422405 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they'll tour Europe.

Anyone who saw Gliddon at the end of the NBL season wouldn't be surprised by this form, he really grew into his skin as the year wore on.

Reply #422415 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Agree Paul.

Gliddon is the real deal & reminds me of a taller Mike Kelly. He's defense is awesome! If i was a coach i'd love a guy like that on my bench cause he's got so many waepons. He can even play some 1.

Don't be suprised to not only see him make it but he'll play mins all the way through!!

Reply #422416 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think its amazing, he played for a Div 2 school that would never have even rated much notice in the states... He comes to the NBL gets rookie of the year and he already looks like a legit Boomers prospect.

Reply #422417 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Goulding has also looked pretty solid too. Lets see how they finnish out the series but I think we should continue to dominate.

Reply #422418 | Report this post

njc  
Years ago

YouknowME I think you need to do a little more research on Cam "I think its amazing, he played for a Div 2 school that would never have even rated much notice in the states" Gliddon didn't play NCAA D2. He played D! NAIA and they won the National Championship in his senior year.... He led his team in scoring and named 1st team All-American. He was the Golden State Athletic Conference player of the year and National Tournament MVP. I know NAIA does not have the same prestige associated with like NCAA schools but he has barely just popped up overnight.

Reply #422420 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If I recall correctly, Worthington had a similar impact for the Boomers: coming from a lower ranked college division, getting some 'MVP' type awards in college (I think Division 2 Player of the Year), and then burst onto the Boomers team with some very solid games, playing 2/3 in his first Boomers appearances.

Reply #422421 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

And, like Gliddon, Worthington also won NBL Rookie of the Year. But I think Wortho made the Boomers team before playing NBL.

Reply #422422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Boomers team has so much depth. Very exciting times in the future.

Don't forget to watch game 3 on Wednesday LIVE on FOX Sports

Reply #422428 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Will games 3-4 also be on NBL.TV?

Reply #422433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Should be a good test for the guys over there.

Reply #422439 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

According to Basketball Australia Calendar, after this series the boomers have a camp on the gold coast later this month in preparation for the Boris Stankovic Cup which is in Tokyo in late June and early July.

There are some good teams participating this year, including Argentina, Germany, Serbia and Nigeria. Should be a good test. Not sure which boomers will make themselves available for this tournament

Reply #422441 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Id like to see a Stankovic team something like:

C: Nevill, Ogilvy, Bairstow
PF: Petrie, Knight
SF: Barlow, Blanchfield
SG: Goulding, Gliddon, Drmic
PG: Gibson, Markovic

Would be a better test of those guys who will be on the fringe of the A team for later in the winter. Obviously I'd also like to see Jawai, Motum and Broekhoff too but Im guessing theyll be over in the US trying to impress.

Reply #422444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets narrow down the field, Delly, Motum and Broekhoff will be busy trying to crack the NBA. Mills and Baynes will be coming off NBA finals so not likely. Madgen is injured. Bogut is healthy but won't play, exum busy with Emus team. Andersen, Jawai unlikely (injured?) Newly and Ingles not sure if available but hopefully they play NZ series. Maric and Kickert not part of boomers future IMO. Drmic and Greenwood a possibility along with Blanchfield, Markovic and Knight. Maker and Simmons not this year. From our current squad Gibson,Goulding, Gliddon, Nevill, Petrie and Bairstow deseve consideration. Finally if healthy what about Worthington.

Reply #422446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgot AJ Ogilvy oops

Reply #422447 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I like Pauls team. I know Patty Mills will be availible for the New Zealand series, and my guess would be so will Baynes Newley and Ingles... Maybe Delly, Motum, Broekhoff with any luck too.

I have taken out every one who is injured, playing overseas right now or working out at the NBA draft to show who would be availible for stankovic cup.

Adam Gibson
Jason Cadee
Jackson Albridge
Steven Markovic
Hugh Greenwood
Cam Gliddon
Clint Steindl
Chris Goulding
Igor Hadziomerovic
Jessie Wagstaf
Anthony Drmic
David Barlow
Mark Worthington
Anatoly Bose
Todd Blanchfield
Luke Nevill
Daniel Johnson
Anthony Petrie
Cam Bairstow
AJ Ogilvy
Aleks Maric
Julian Khazzouh
Daniel Kickert
Matty Knight

I would go with

Gibson/Markovic/Greenwood
Goulding/Gliddon/Drmic
Barlow/Worthington
Petrie/Bairstow
Ogilvy/Nevill

Only a very slight change from Pauls team there.

Reply #422450 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

My boomers team for stankovic cup
Gibson/Greenwood
Gliddon/Goulding/Drmic
Worthington/Blanchfield
Petrie/Knight/Bairstow
Ogilvy/Nevill

I also like the teams listed above not alot different about those squads

Reply #422452 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If memory serves me correctly I dont think Worthington's shoulder will be recovered in time.

Reply #422463 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Ok I will swap Worthington for Barlow

Reply #422466 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Wortho for blanchfield for mine

Reply #422479 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think Australia will actually really benefit by these C grade teams. By the worlds or Olympics we could have 30-40 players fighting for positions any one of them ready to step up for us.

Reply #422487 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Those Stankovic Cup lineups look ok, with the exception of small forward. Wortho and Barlow? Please no.

Wortho is not athletic enough for small forward and has shown nothing in the past two years to make me think he warrants a Boomers spot anymore.

And Barlow, people keep putting him in, but honestly I think I've seen one good game from him in three years.

I'd much rather see Gliddon start there than those two because he seems to shoot the three well, has good athleticism and plays defence well.

If Drmic is available, I'd like to see him have a crack as backup to Gliddon. Goulding could get a few mins there as well.

I'd like to see more of Bose too, although he doesn't really seem to be in consideration for the Boomers atm. Not sure why?

Reply #422517 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Bose is trying to play for Kazahkstan I think?

And you will notice we all had Gliddon/Goulding/Drmic in our teams, we just considered them 2 guards.

This is where its important to see that yes, Australia has depth but only so much... If you overlook Wortho and Barlow for 3 man you start looking at Wagstaff and I personally would prefer not to see him play for us.. Or even Steindl who doesnt offer anything outside of shooting.

Reply #422518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bose plays in Kazakhstan and as he was born there is in their national team now.

Reply #422519 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Which I think is just wonderful of Bose to do... Spends essentially all of his life here... His Basketball training and everything comes from Australia... And off he goes! I expect Thon Maker will do the same also.

Reply #422520 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Beantown, also Re: Wortho... Hes kind of our Dillon Boucher. Hes that annoying basterd that other teams hate. Hes not afraid to get into the sticky stuff and he is solid enough at the fundamentals to hold his own. He is a 'Glue guy'. His experience at this level is valuable and I definitely can see a role for him off the bench ATLEAST til next years Worlds.

Reply #422522 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wortho has been a very solid Boomers role player, I have no problem with him being in any team, you know he'll play very hard and do his job.

Reply #422524 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I agree with Beantown about dropping Wortho and Barlow.

Didn't China look woeful in Game 2.

I loved watching Gliddon, Goulding, Bairstow, Petrie and (grudgingly) Nevill. The others can leave quietly by the side door.

What absolutely cr*p commentators - they sounded like they were auditioning for an AFL job. Muppets !

Reply #422528 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I like your Stankovic Cup team paul, but I question the selections of Barlow and Blanchfield, particularly Barlow. I think he is done with international play, or more correctly, the Boomers should be done with him. He never lived up to his full potential on the international stage, and didn't really provide the Boomers with much at all in London. I would rather see Lemanis continue with his Sino-Aus starters, Gibson-Goulding-Gliddon-Petrie-Nevill, than go back to Barlow. Also, does anyone know why Blanchfield didn't make the Sino-Aus squad? If it wasn't due to injury, then I can't see him coming into the frame for Stankovic Cup.

Reply #422534 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah it is a lack of depth issue @ SF. Obviously Goulding and Drmic lack a little size/ muscle for that position, but I just feel like Barlow's had his chance and isn't really what the Boomers need going forward. I understand the sort of competitive niggle Wortho brings, but I just feel with age and injuries slowing him the past couple years, he will struggle to stay in front of decent intl SFs and will be overpowered at PF.

With Ingles and Newley virtual locks for the position for now, I'd rather see them looking for next gen guys who can do what our current guys can't: SHOOT!

Gliddon and Goulding have shown a willingness to play good, disruptive D so far in this series and they seem to be able to fill it up from range too. So I think now is the time to really explore how far they can go in intl ball.

Reply #422581 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Goulding and GLiddon have definitely put themselves in the conversation thats for sure.

Reply #422588 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would look at it differently. I would say Brown didnt give Barlow much. Here is a guy, who is a solid rebounder and defender, who shot 41% and 43% from deep in the two club seasons leading up to London.

Yet in an Aussie team that couldnt hit the broad side of a barn he barely gets on court and barely gets any looks when he does? Offence was not Brown's strong suit.

I think Barlow is worth a look in Lemanis' system, experienced guys who can spread the floor are pretty valuable. If he doesnt produce in the Stankovic Cup then put a line through his name and move on.

Reply #422590 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

That's definitely a different way to look at it paul!

Reply #422595 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yeah... true he was barely even on the court in London. Brown didnt overly like the idea of putting his 3 point threats on the court.

Reply #422601 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

How can we possibly use these games to guage the potential of future "real" boomers. China's team is terrible. The standard of Sunday's games was not even close to an NBL game. Didn't see game one but it is very hard to imagine us losing to that team.
Last year we sent a "youth" team to stankovic cup and they were competitive. If my memory is correct Styndl
and Cadee were starters and Odigie a key player - check out his numbers coming off bench in SEABL and you might get an understanding of the level of competition.

Reply #422643 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

well the real test probably is the stankovic cup coming up a lot of those teams will be preparing to qualify for next years worlds so there should be some strong squads in there. I agree... China is not a very high standard.. a team that has already gone through the olympics gets walloped by Boomers C team on there second game ever together! lol

Reply #422646 | Report this post

agrid  
Years ago

Hey Hoopie, why "(grudgingly) Nevill"? He was easily the best player in game two. The looked great on TV and on the stats sheet.

Reply #422651 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I don't think the standard was as bad as you are suggesting in game 2. Having said that, China is clearly not in the top tier, so I only see this series as an early hurdle for young guys to get over if they want to further international careers.

If any of these guys want to crack the rotation of the full Boomers team then they'll obviously have to perform against better opposition down the track.

Reply #422653 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Australias standard was fine. China was woeful...

Reply #422656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow's had enough chances over the years.

Reply #422658 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Agrid, I didn't think he was versatile enough or dominant enough when he played for the Tigers.

His height gives him a huge advantage against weaker opposition, but he'll need more moves against quality opposition. I haven't really seen much of him, but from what I've seen he hasn't improved that much.

Reply #422670 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Barlow was used for his size, athletic ability (but never used it enough, for example with rebounding), respectable defensive ability, his 3-point shot (which was near-automatic in prime form) and a solid mid-range shot (which he used effectively at times as a Tiger, but rarely as a Boomer). Primarily I thought his value was defense and his perimeter shot. When his perimeter shot proved to be unreliable, he fell out of the main rotation.

Reply #422795 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Although he had a few decent years % wise I don't go for the decent shooter tag. His shot was butt ugly and had just about the lowest release I have ever seen. I also judge shooters by how far their "misses miss" if you get what I mean. Just look at Cedric Jackson for example. Shot a decent clip at the start of last season but a very poor shooter who just arsed a few now and then. Barlow's shot was wildly erratic and as such he was the type of player well scouted teams would have down as an optional leave open guy. Shit rebounder for a player with his physical attributes. I just never got him as a Boomer. More a reflection on the shortage of options in that spot I guess.

Reply #422799 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Barlow has been really easy to forget about since leaving the NBL

Reply #422801 | Report this post

rossco_lp11  
Years ago

Hi I was wondering if anyone has or is able to get or can point me in the right direction of a DVD copy of these 2 games? I'll be after the 3rd and 4th games as well. Also any other Boomers games (that I don't already have).

Cheers

Reply #422804 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

To some Barlow's jumpshot might look ugly, but it is effective. He shoots at a career clip over 40% from deep. It's hard to name many players who are Boomers material that shoot above 40% from 3 point range, especially at the 3 spot.

Reply #422845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not Boomers material though, well shouldn't be.

Reply #422846 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

fstsos, Barlow has been a very solid rebounding SF in the ACB for a number of years, and has also played some PF in that competition. He can hold his own inside.

He didnt impress under Brown but neither did Newley who is a very good player, as he has shown this season at Gran Canaria, same with Maric who has been good for Kuban.

These guys can all play and at least deserve a look in a practice series under Lemanis to see whether it's a case of them not being up to it or whether they just werent well used.

Reply #422854 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:08 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754