heman
Years ago

Woodville Vs Eastern

Has anyone got any thoughts on the mens game this weekend? It should be a good contest. Woodville has a very talented team and with puddifoot defending Jacob Woodville should be able to run away with the win.

Anyone got any thoughts or predictions on the game?

My prediction: Woodville by 20.

Topic #319 | Report this topic

D-lin  
Years ago

It won't be that much of a blow out, in fact I think it is a very even match up. I think it will go down to the wire.

Reply #2431 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think I've already given mine, but Woodville by around 15.

Congratulations to both teams for making it to the grand final. I can't make it to the game, but here's hoping that it pulls a good crowd.

Are the women playing at Hillcrest or the Dome?

Reply #2432 | Report this post

chick fan  
Years ago

Women's game is at the Dome starting at the earlier time of 6:15pm.

Reply #2433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well lets just hope that its not decided by a terrible call by the referee like last year.

Reply #2434 | Report this post

Raab Himself  
Years ago

Eastern in overtime. 116 - 110

You could throw the kitchen sink at Holmes this weekend and it wouldn't slow him down. He is in Woolacott/NBL player on the rise/future International player form and even at the tender ago of 20 he will be calling on all his experience to play well in this one.

No doubt Pudds is a great defender, but you only get 6 fouls and if the referee's bring their A game, and he is forced to play within the rules, he will not stop Holmes. You simply can't stop the man.

The difference for me is the form of Brad Davis. He is having one of the most underated second halfs of the year that i can remember. A great game last week against north and a size advantage over the woodville defenders.

Holmes/Trebilcock/Bungey/Pounsett vs Bradley/Whitmore will be crucial. I would expect to see Jacob guarding Bradley and the others sharing the job on Whitmore.
Jacob can take care of Bradley [who i would still expect to score 15+] but its how the Mavs deal with the wily veteran Whitmore taking nice feeds from Reggie that will realyl count.

Goodenough, Warhurst and Mason et al. have their work cut out for them. As good as Davis' form has been, Graves too has been setting teams alight and the Mavs can not afford to have him set fire again. It will be hard enough to contain the rest of the Warriors arsenal.

No pregame would be complete without reference to the Dr. Easily in the top 3 or 4 most dangerous players in the league, he is the one player for me that could really in ernest win the game for Woodville. Great elevation and shooting touch, a familiar floor and if he does start to light up, the rest of the court becomes wide open for the rest of the team.

I'm sticking with the Mavs in OT and predicting one of the better GF's of recent times!

Reply #2435 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

thanks everyone for some interesting pregames....
i would agree that there is few if any better players than puddifoot to guard holmes, but lets face it, holmes is a class above all (maybe barring dix) is the leauge, and there is little if any chance woodville will keep him below 30 on saturday...the game will be decided by two things in my opinion.....the games of davis and ng....if davis has less than 15....eastern are in big trouble.....and if ng gets crazy...then the mavs are also in big trouble....i sense one of the great finals performances coming from darren......whoa!!!!....crazy ng time!!!

Reply #2440 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I would put my money on Reggie guarding Holmes, the Puddi still suffering with his shoulder.

Reggie has been given some huge defensive roles the last few weeks, and come out victor on many of them.

When people talk about Woodville they have covered all the usual factors, Ng, Puddi, Bradley, Whitmore, Reggie.

But the Gravey train has well and truly left the station and is running express to Championship Central. Also Cameron Wilson and his tight full court press D.

The the young up and coming Dr Jr., Marcus, also has a great D game developing, which Coach York wont hesistate to throw out for a few minutes to change things up if need be.

Reply #2452 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

cameron wilson cant play defense for peanuts. lets his player go by him EVERY single time down the court. always. possibly the most over-rated player in the league.

Reply #2455 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

What's the money on Holmes for national All-Star 5 or MVP?

Reply #2457 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Gee, he would have to be unbackable, along with Newley, Redhage and who else?? Ng maybe?

Reply #2460 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kendall had some huge games, but missed much of the early stages of the season.

Reply #2462 | Report this post

04astatsguru  
Years ago

"The Hills are alive with the Sound of" basketball. Member club v affiliated club. All Woodville have to do is the equivalent of stopping the Indian-Pacific train which is travelling at full speed. Let us hope that Tracy and co can uphold the traditions of the member clubs and WIN. If not then will the ultimate result be. Mavericks to become a member club? Southern Tigers has two 'shares' in BASA (I assume that they have NCT and Southern Suns votes)so some negotiation may be able to be undertaken. What is a 'share' in BASA worth? $4 million? "Make your bid. You have twelve months in which to travel. Some conditions apply."

Reply #2467 | Report this post

BJT  
Years ago

Basman, your tripping...

Mr. Wilson is a very tough defender, and considering he had over a year off because of a horrible broken foot I think it is a testament to him to be able to play the way he did before he had his injury. He is in no way the most over rated player in the league, I would infact class him (along with Puds) as one of the hardest working players I have ever played with...

He also led the nation last year in 3 point % too.

Reply #2477 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

My brother Mr basman, lets be real, you need to put down you play station control and smell what the Scotts got cooking. Cameron Wilson is one of the better defensive guards I have ever played with, he leads our team in charges, is one of the better rebounding guards for his size you will ever see. As mentioned earlier lead the nation in 3 pt % last year, yes I said nation no stutter there son. Quit staring at your Jordan wings poster and come on down out of your top bunk bed. You need to have some pretty high quals before you start dissing the big horse or any of my team mates for that matter.
I will be at my desk most of the day so turn off NBA Action from 1995 and make a comment that doesnt make you look silly. Cam would start on most teams in this league I am grateful he has decided to stick with us and who knows at 10.30pm Sat night he may have 2 nets to hang off the reason he is called horse.

Reply #2486 | Report this post

Damn basman, did the horse give it to your filly?
Cameron Wilson is a helluva defender, tough, uncomprimising & very physical.
Every team should have a Cameron Wilson type player -no nonsense, hard working, will do all the dirty stuff, the 1%ers. Plus he can consistently hit the outside J.

Basbaby your a Dill.

Scott Whitmore, Being the master, could you teach Bradley how to properly scream when he gets a rebound?
His timing & pitch is a little off.

Reply #2493 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

I'll work on him tonight at practice, Its good to see a 22 year old who looks 32 get excited over a rebound, I dont take enough rebounds these days to let the old scream out, the last 3 times I have screamed during a play all relate to injuries. If you sit close Saturday night i may let one rip for old times.

I have an "eary" feeling he will be doing alot of screaming Sat night

Reply #2496 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LOL! Post of the week! Little basketball awards ("featured post") suitably allocated.

Reply #2499 | Report this post

Your a funny man Scott Whitmore!

Reply #2500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and smell what the Scotts got cooking"

Line of the week :D

Reply #2526 | Report this post

mavman  
Years ago

Break a leg Scott.

Reply #2527 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

i like my bunk bed though, you can see the jordan poster when ya wake up from up there. how'd you know bout my sleeping habitat anyways????

Reply #2536 | Report this post

Scott  
Years ago

Reply #2539 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

Glad to see you are still alive basman, mavman you are the most humerous sole on this forum, can't wait for the stand up tour, I'll be sure to reserve my seat in the front row. I nearly wet my pants "break a leg" you kill me.

Reply #2540 | Report this post

Years ago

Should the game be called, Woodville vs Second Sturt as alot of the players playing for eastern are developed juniors from sturt

Holmes
Davis
Warhurst
Campbell

There are more in the side, just dont know there last names.

Reply #2542 | Report this post

heman  
Years ago

I think that most of the mavs men played juniors for sturt it was the closest district team for them to play for before the mavericks were formed. Seeing as guys like brad davis weren't even able to get a div 1 game for the sabres in juniors I'm sure that it is a sweet feeling to know that they own the sturt mens team beating them 6 out of the last 7 times they have played.
It is an insult to call the mavericks team second sturt the only thing sturt did was give these guys more reason to succeed seeing as they didn't get the chance when playing for sturt.
I wonder if sturt have started picking people on merit instead of who or what background/family they come from?

Reply #2544 | Report this post

Zimmerman  
Years ago

Well Sturt should be renamed the 2nd Sixers and I think you will find that Brad davis played some of his junior basketball at Forestville before Mavericks came into the competition

Reply #2545 | Report this post

heman  
Years ago

That's right he started at forestville and then went to Sturt. They were good enough to let him play div 2.

Reply #2546 | Report this post

The Big Granny. Whooo Haaa!

Too bad with the break ahead it isn't decided over 3 games.

Much has been said about 'mobile' Holmes -he looks set for another big game & is primed for his best NBL year to date.

Last week Davis penetrated more than an AFL team on their end of season trip & Woodville will have to contain Davis to less than 20 to get the W.

I was at the Mav's V Warriors game at the Dome where the Warriors won comfortably(20pts). Reggie guarded Holmes well but again it was Davis who got off early. Holmes has been playing better 2nd halves so the Mavs team will need to put 4 quarters together to make it close.

But I just don't see it being close & I can see Dr NG doing a euthanasia job on the Mavs.

Warriors by 33

Reply #2547 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

I would think that game was a while ago Bootney. The way eastern have been playing lately I would think if they were in the olympics they would all be up for urine (or blood samples).

Post #2486 is a damn classic! Whether Woodville win or loose I think that post probably demonstrates they have one of the best comedians in the central abl.

Reply #2548 | Report this post

True Incognito, they have been playing/peaking at the right time & I didn't pick them to beat North last week.

Grand Finals are where players are really found out.
W'ville have the more experienced players, are deeper & several players have been there before.
A grand final is decided by so many variables, rebounding, foul count, confidence, the sphincter.
I believe the W'ville players will settle earlier & will get more from their bench.

Mavs last week celebrated like they had won the final & their mindset might be that they are just happy to be there.

Reply #2549 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Cameron Wilson a poor defender? Sorry for jumping on late here guys, but Mr Wilson is a nasty defender. Obviously you guys haven't had a myriad of rebounds stolen by the little fella like I have.

As for the ex-Sturt contingent, don't forget Puddifoot is also an ex-Sturt player who left the fold. Damn, they could've been good!

Reply #2585 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

nah, it was just me callin him a bad defender, everyone else said he is awesome, so no need to have a go at them

Reply #2591 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:53 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754